Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Little Blue Line

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Little Blue Line

Little Blue Line

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: Jennifer has to contend with a loss and the pressure is on for Jack and Sam.
Category: Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/01/03

Title: Little Blue Line

Summary: Jennifer has to contend with a loss, and the pressure is on for Jack and Sam.

Author Notes: I hope you liked my last story however improbable. PS. I have some advice, read Blue Topaz's series called His and Hers...it's absolutely fab! I'm waiting on tenterhooks for the next part!

I'm not too pleased with this one, so I'd appreciate all feedback you can give. Requests for sequels and pleas for me to stop writing are considered! Sorry about the shortness but they do say the best things come in small packages!

I want to write a sequel so just give me an email if you think I should write it!

*

"You can't do this." Jack said calmly, focusing on breathing in and out slowly instead of hitting the woman standing in front of her.

"She's my daughter. I can do what I like Jack." Jennifer reasoned, making Jack see red even more. "I want her back in Baltimore with me."

"You agreed for custody. We signed the papers goddammit!" Jack flicked his eyes to Sam and Kitty who thankfully couldn't witness the argument in progress. "You made your decision, you stick to it."

"I'm contesting." Jennifer retorted and stood with a defiant look on her face. "I'm sorry but I just can't lose her."

"What about me?" Jack pleaded. "You told Kitty to call Patrick "dad." What's so wrong with Kitty doing it of her own accord?"

"Because..." Jennifer tried to keep her cool. "She's known Sam for a couple of months and she's calling her " her other mommy". Patrick's been around for two years and she barely talks to him."

"She hates him, you know that." Jack replied and Jennifer nodded morosely.

"Mmm. Blames him for not being able to see you more often." Jennifer laughed wryly. "How do you get her to love you so much?"

"Talents." Jack joked and then his face turned suddenly serious. "Jennifer, I can understand why you're upset, but Sam and I are doing the best we can with her and we both love her so much."

"I know. And that's why it hurts." Jennifer explained and looked over his shoulder to Sam and Kitty who was looking up at the woman with devotion as Sam explained something and pointed to the sky. Kitty was more interested in Sam that what the actual subject was. "Because I can see in two years time her drawing a picture of her family. And Sam being mommy instead of me. I can see Sam sitting next to you at her school plays, and at her graduation. And it hurts."

"Kitty isn't going to forget about you." Jack comforted Jennifer. "You're her mother and no-one can take that away from you."

Jennifer bit her lip to stop the tears. "I know that. I just get the feeling that one day, Kitty will be calling me her other mommy."

Suddenly the realisation of the situation his Jack and Jennifer straight in the face and they knew that eventually, Jennifer would be the "other mommy", no matter what they said.

"I'm sorry." Jack said feeling pathetic that he couldn't say more.

"Not your fault Jack. It's no-one's. I think I should go back home now. The twins are probably missing me already." Jennifer started to back away. Kitty looked round and gave her Jennifer a wave before turning back to Sam. "I'll see you soon."

Jennifer walked to the Departures but before she left Jack called out to her. "When do you want to see Kitty again?" Jack asked catching up with her. She turned round with a tear running down her cheek.

"I don't know." She said simply and walked to collect her ticket. Jack walked resignedly to the two who were standing at the window and Kitty immediately climbed onto his shoulders with a beaming smile. Sam interlocked her hands with Jack's and they weaved their way through the crowds.

Unbeknownst to them, Jennifer stood behind a pillar watching the three walk away with a sad look on her face.

Kitty needs more than a part time mom, Jennifer thought.

She needs Sam Carter.

*

Kitty sat in the back of Sam's car happily playing with the dolls Sam put there in advance, singing little songs to herself. But Sam and Jack weren't so relaxed as they sat in silence, feeling uncomfortable.

Finally Sam broke the stifling attitude in the car and spoke. "What was that about?" She asked.

"What was what about?" Jack said feigning ignorance and then made sure that Kitty wasn't able to hear them.

"Don't play dumb Jack. What was the deal with Jennifer?" Sam asked, her tone getting more angrier by the second although she toned down as Kitty looked towards them with a interested face and then back to her toys. "I saw her crying."

"She wanted Kitty back in Baltimore." Jack replied, swallowing hard. "She was jealous of you and Kitty."

Sam stayed silent as she realised what Jennifer must have been thinking. She didn't like the fact that she wasn't Kitty's real mom, but she understood that it was important that Kitty saw her, however much it hurt Sam. "I take it you made her see sense." Sam concluded and Jack just nodded, keeping an eye on the traffic.

"Yea." He answered solemnly. "But she doesn't know when she wants to see Kitty again."

"What do you mean?" Sam asked.

"I don't know." Jack admitted. "But the way she said it made me think that she was cutting off ties with Kitty."

"She can't." Sam was outraged at Jennifer's behaviour. One minute she wanted Kitten to live with her, the next she didn't want her at all. "Did she actually say that?"

"I got the hint that that's what she meant." Jack said sighing heavily. He looked back at Kitty who was happily playing in the back of the car, her pigtails swinging with the music she was concocting inside her head.

A pang of pain hit him, and he realised that Kitty might never see her mother again.

*

It was only 8:30 in the morning, but yet again they were in the middle of a full argument about some trivial matter. All it took was some overdue paperwork, not enough food for Kitty's school lunch and a broken truck for Sam and Jack to be yelling at each other.

"I can't believe you ate everything yesterday!" Sam admonished him, and not in that cute way she was so prone to do. This was evil, "I hate your guts at the moment" voice. And Jack did not like it one bit. "You knew Kitty needed food for school! Now I have to go shopping before work just because you couldn't control your hunger..." She paused for a breath "Are you a toddler or something?" She hollered at him and stormed to the kitchen and slammed every possible object onto the counter.

"Well, I'm sorry for not wanting your cooking...normally I like eating something edible and that won't give me food poisoning!" He muttered back. Jack thought he'd whispered quietly enough but naturally, he hadn't and Sam heard every word.

"What did you say?" She spun round with a glare on her face, almost ready to scratch his eyes out.

"I said, I don't like your cooking. I'd rather eat the rabbit's cereal than that stuff you call food." He glowered back at her. Suddenly, without warning, the tables turned and Sam burst into tears and collapsed onto the sofa.

Jack was stuck to the spot for a moment, and then realised he should probably see what was wrong. Creeping over to the couch, he bent down to peer underneath Sam and he tickled her chin, which resulted in a small chuckle. "What's wrong with us at the moment?" He asked, moving to sit next to her huddled figure.

"I don't know." She replied through sniffles and coughs. "Pressure?" She suggested, uncurling to rest her head on his chest.

"Maybe." He replied, and then chose his words carefully. "Do you think it might be something to do with responsibility?"

"What do you mean?" Her face moved to look at him questioningly.

"Well, you might be feeling the burden of being Kitty's parent now that Jennifer's cutting ties so to speak." Jack said quietly, and his words elicited a surprising reaction from Sam.

She jumped up from his embrace and scowled at him. "No I'm not!" Sam insisted.

Jack rolled his eyes. "Surprise, surprise...you're getting angry again." He drawled. "Never would have guessed that."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Her face was starting to tinge red and Jack's brain told him to stop. Unfortunately his body never obeyed much so he just kept on spouting rubbish.

"For the past week, we've been arguing non-stop and every little thing I do is wrong." He stood up in front of her, gesturing wildly with his hands.

Her eyes widened. "Have you actually thought what might be the problem?" She asked him and he stared childishly down at his feet. With her hand, she brought his eyes roughly to look back in hers. "Has your one brain cell actually considered what might be wrong with me? Getting all hormonal?"

As if struck by lightening a though occurred and his mouth dropped open to epic proportions. "You're not...?" He trailed off.

"Pregnant?" She offered. "Yes Jack, I am. How perceptive you are. "Sam retorted but Jack just stood there with an expression of utter shock.

"How could it happen...?" Sam knew when Jack was surprised...he'd start talking to himself.

"Do you want me to draw a diagram?" She said, complete with a hand on hip.

"I thought I was supposed to be the sarcastic one." He rebutted and she just shrugged. "Are you pleased about this?" He asked edging closer and she smiled. It wasn't a huge, mega watt smile, but it was there.

"Yeah." She replied quietly, moving into his arms. "I didn't think I would be, but I am."

"So why were you so pissy at me all the time?" He asked, tenderly into her ear.

"Apart from the raging hormones?" She joked lightly and he pulled her body closer to him. "I was worried." She couldn't see his face, but she knew that he was confused. "I have so much to think about with work and Kitty and I wasn't sure if we could cope as a family."

"But?" He probed gently, not wanting to push her into anything.

"But I realised that was the reason I was going to cope was because we are a family now." She sounded so assured, so right in her decision. "And you and Kitty will get me through anything."

"So you're going to keep it?" He asked, trying not to let his excitement go before he knew the definite answer.

"Yes."

He swung her up into his arms and yelped as loud as he could bringing Kitty running down the stairs. He put Sam back on the floor after protests about not "swinging the pregnant woman" and they both looked at the confused five year old perching on the bottom step of the stairs.

"Come over here Kitten." Jack ushered her onto the sofa and they sat her on Jack's legs and Sam holding her hands comfortably in a reassuring manner.

"What's wrong?" She had a look of horror on her face like she was going to be told something awful.

"Nothing's wrong. We just wanted to ask you something." Sam prompted Jack who took the hint.

"Right. Yeah, um, Kitty how would you feel about a baby coming into this house?"

Kitty sat there for a minute, pondering the question. "Are you having a baby?" She turned to face Sam and she nodded. Kitty's face turned to joy and then fell slightly.

"Do I have to go back to Baltimore?" She asked frowning and fiddling with her skirt for school.

"No!" Sam replied quickly. "You'll stay here with us and the new baby....we just wanted to know whether you'd be happy about it."

Before Sam could say anything else, Kitty leapt into their arms and they fell back into the sofa cushions with a giggle. "Is it a boy or girl?" She asked after her parents recovered.

"We don't know, but we'll be happy whatever we have...right?" Sam's hand snaked towards Jack's and he squeezed her fingers tightly, letting her know that he'd be there every step of the way.

*

"So you must be excited." Daniel smiled at the pair who sat on the veranda steps, watching the part grow larger and larger with every second. At first it was the close gang, but then it turned into every SGC employee who could get the night off.

Who the hell was keeping an eye on the `gate?

"Not excited, petrified." Jack corrected Daniel and Sam gave him a playful swipe.

"Come on, we all know that you've been stacking up on nappies already." Daniel joked and Sam just gave him a wry grin.

"For your information, I haven't even started decorating the nursery." She replied and Daniel just shrugged.

"Yeah, yeah, that's what you're telling everyone." He muttered and she just shook her head.

Their conversation continued until Kitty and Janet bounded up to the house from the bottom of the garden where a game of soccer was in full swing (Thank God for big gardens!)

Kitty squeezed onto Sam's lap and hung her arms round Sam's neck sucking her thumb at the same time. "Are you tired sweetie?" Sam asked Kitty stroking her back.

Kitty nodded wordlessly and rested her head on Sam's shoulder. "I think it was Lieutenant Gregson that wore her out...spotted soccer talent in her already." Janet joked and took a seat next to Daniel and grabbed his drink and gulped it down.

"Mmm, she is her father's daughter." Jack mused. "Shall I take her indoors and to bed?" He suggested but Sam shook her head.

"It's fine." She kissed him briefly on the lips. "I'll do it. You stay out here. You haven't seen some of the staff for ages-catch up." She reminded him and he nodded. Daniel's face turned a shade of white when he looked up from the scene on the bottom of the steps.

"Uh, guys?" He said flatly.

"Yeah?" Sam smiled at him, her arm snaking round Jack's back.

"Your Dad's home."

*

Like? No like? Think my writing is a load of beep?

Tell me!

Request a sequel....request I never write again! Just email me at shirleym_@hotmail.com

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter