Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Rumour Mill

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Rumour Mill

Rumour Mill

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: Who are the objects of discussion when two gossipy members of the SGC debate base relationships?
Category: Drabble, Future Story, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, none
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 06/22/03

"They are sooo not." I reply to Airman Lewis and she laughs hysterically at me, and I try to shush her, but she's not listening. "Are you as blind as they are?" She asks and I can't help feeling slightly indignant; I always considered myself a reasonably perceptive person and I have been working here for four years. "You mean to tell me you really haven't noticed?" I shovel another pile of food into my mouth and chomp loudly until I reply. "Of course I've noticed. Who hasn't?...I just don't think they're....." I trail off my sentence, eager not to spread rumours about my CO. "What, sleeping together?" She says loudly and I whack her hand playfully and she giggles. "They are." She corrects me and she munches on her salad/rabbit food concoction that the cooks have to make for her vegan diet. "Come on, there's sexual tension that you could cut with a knife. Would they make it so obvious if they were "doing it"?" I whisper to her, and a smile graces her face....and it looks very good on her. "It'd be weirder if they stopped completely." She retorts and I have to say that she has a valid point. "I mean they've been mooning over each other for the past six years..." "Mooning?" I question her words
"My sister uses it...anyway, as I said they've been flirting and mooning for six years and what, they stop automatically? Suspicious much?" She counters. "They're CO and 2IC. It's totally against like, ALL, the rules of the Air Force." I present to her the ever running argument that runs round the rumour mill of the SGC; it seems that there are more people than just me and Lewis who are interested in their little frisson. "What, and you've never heard anyone disobeying those rules? No CO and 2IC have ever had a relationship?" "Well..." She doesn't give me a chance to reply before hitting me with her next argument. "If you do think that, then you're totally delusional." I nod my head and she looks so satisfied, and it kinda annoys me...I wish I didn't agree with her. "It's something to gush over though, huh?" I giggle, watching all the other airmen and women no doubt discussing the existent or non-existent relationship as I can hear their names pass over in conversation. "Too right...I think the grapevine would flounder if those two weren't around." "Mmm." I affirm and sip my sludge, pretending to be coffee and I nearly spit it out when she announces the objects of our debate make their way into the commissary and they pass by our table as we feign a conversation on religious traditions of a planet. I can just hear their conversation as they sit on the table next to us, and I can't help grinning at my friend opposite me as we listen in. "I am not going to see some chick flick..." He whispers under his breath quietly, but not quietly enough for Lewis' and my keen ears and we shoot an astonished look at each other. "Well, shoot-em-up's aren't exactly my cup of tea either." She replies in the same tone. "And it always puts me off..." Our eyes drift towards their hands and she quickly strokes the back of his hand with her finger and looks up at him innocently...I can't see anyone else watching and I smile to myself; god knows how much they'd pay to watch this. He concedes immediately, and I sink into my chair as they get back to discussing missions and Colonel O'Neill complaining about Dr. Jackson's convoluted explanations; and I notice he doesn't mention her. I look at Lewis who is as bewildered as I am. "So how about Major Kiernan and Captain Halls?" She asks and we've made a conscious decision to change the current rumour mill subject; it's no fun when you know they're together...and think of the gossip when they have their first child? I reckon all bets are going to be on the name Junior...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter