Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Uncovering and Deliberating

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Uncovering and Deliberating

Uncovering and Deliberating

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: Sam meets someone that she wished she hadn't but gets a pleasant surprise
Category: Drabble
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/09/03

Deliberating and Uncovering by Anneka O'Carter

Author Notes: This sequel isn't really needed, but I just thought, what the hell? I'll write it anyway.

Sequel to Revelations and Shopping Trips which is part one and Discoveries and Announcements which is part two.

Feedback is always good and puts me in a fab mood to write more!

*

That is just too cute.

Mmm...now if I had all the money in the world, I think I'd just live in this shop.

Baby clothes...really can't have enough of them.

And being the dutiful husband that he is, Jack has let me out of the closet under the stairs to buy some decorations for the house and the nursery.

But I couldn't help but get side-tracked by...

Oh Lord.

Oh. My. God.

Is that who I-?

Yep, and she's waving.

Waving very enthusiastically.

Shall I go over ther-?

Nope, she's coming over to see me.

Could this be any more awkward?

"Sara!" I put on my "how great to see you!" voice but it's so obviously fake that it's not funny.

"Hi, how great to see you!" OK, she's doing it too.... "You must be pretty far gone now, right?"

She looks down at my protruding stomach and I swell with pride. Thankfully, it's only my belly that's put on extra weight.

Otherwise I look like the normal Sam Carter.

Which Jack seems to think is a good thing.

A very good thing.

"Yep." I affirm and beam as I think of my baby that's due in under two months. "I'm just over seven months actually."

"Wow!" She looks genuinely happy...she should be an actress. "You look gorgeous. I bet Jack's getting all nervous right about now, I remember that clearly."

Hmm...when did her relationship with Jack have to come into the conversation?

Slight little envy there, methinks.

"Yeah. DIY frenzy in the nursery actually." We both nod with stupid phony smiles on our faces and silence overtakes.

"So...do you know whether it's a boy or a girl?" She fiddles with the rail of baby clothes, straightening them down....if she wasn't who she was, I reckon we'd get on great.

Tidiness is next to godliness and all that.

"Um, a girl." This is so uncomfortable and I'm glad it's not a boy. After everything with Charlie...

Not a good idea.

"Have you got any names?" She asks and I'm trying to think of a get-away route from the shop.

"Uh, yeah actually. Mabel or Beth-Anne." I wanted Mabel because it sounded cute, but Jack insisted we have Beth-Anne which is a combination of both our mother's names.

He put my mom's first which was cute.

He's just like that.

I completely disagreed with him at the time, but as days roll past I'm warming to it.

Not that I'd ever say that...can't have him thinking he's right all the time, can I?

"They're nice names." Yep, silence again. "Do you fancy a coffee?"

*

Well, it's surprising a person can change your perception on them in 30 minutes and two cappuccinos later.

The ex-Mrs O'Neill is actually one nice lady. It seems she's dating a colleague from the insurance place where she works.

His name is Tom and he's apparently gorgeous. They're trying to have a baby.

I presumed that was why she was at the store but it seems she was buying for me.

"You didn't have to y'know." I admonish her.

"Well, I did play a part in setting you up, so I should really." The grin on her face widens and I realise that maybe she, like Jack, has let go of their previous life.

Absent-mindedly I look at my watch and realise that I have to get back home to get ready for the weekly girl's night in with Janet.

I can't drink, but I can sure as hell have fun watching her get as drunk as a skunk, rolling around on the floor and telling me how much she fancies Daniel.

"I have to go, I'm really sorry." I mean that genuinely now.

Which I never thought I would. That might sound really mean but who really gets on with their husband's ex-wife?

Yep, that's right. No-one.

But Sara is a nice person. And suddenly a thought pops into my head.

"Um, I'm going shopping again next week...do you want to come along?"

Sara smiles and amazingly, I think I've found a friend.

*

Aaah, coffee.

My current coffee status was severely low so it was a good thing Sam decided to make a pot when she got up.

At the moment, she's busying round the house we've shared for seven months tidying everything in sight after yesterday's fun with my boys.

Seems that even Teal'c can loosen up when alcohol is involved.

Of course Sam wasn't pleased when she woke up, faced with a whole room of sleeping (and heavily drunk and hungover) airman from the base.

But I convinced her that I could clean up and that she was in no condition to.

Which she didn't think was the right thing to say which lead to the inevitable arguing but the very nice making up.

"Can you get that?" Sam's voice brings me out of my dream-like state and I walk leisurely to the phone.

"Y'ello. Jack O'Neill speaking." I'm trying to not to speak to loud seeing as my head thinks a ton of metal's been implanted inside my skull.

"Oh, uh, hi." The voice is quiet but familiar. "I was ringing for Sam actually."

Who is this?

Mmm?

"Sam?" I call out and she looks round with a frown.

"Yes?" OK, that's an annoyed voice.

"Phone." I offer meekly and she apologises with one of those absolutely gorgeous smiles that makes my head feel a lot better than before.

"Hello. Samantha O'Neill speaking." She answers as she plods over the beer bottles and popcorn bowls. She bats me away with my hand, which is obviously a sign for my to carry on with her job.

Great(!)

Being the ever nosy me, I have to listen in on her conversation as much as I can.

Her face brightens as the person on the other line speaks.

"It's great to talk to you again! Sorry about the quick exit yesterday." Not Janet or Cassie. School and work.

Both of them would have berated me for getting their beloved Daniel drunk.

After a few "mm's" and "aah's", she finishes the conversation;

"Right, that's great. Tomorrow at Starbucks. Yep. OK, bye Sara."

What?

What. On. Earth. Was. That?

She carries on acting as though nothing's happened, whereas I'm in the living room with my jaw open a few centimetres too much.

"Sara?" I repeat "As in Sara, Sara?"

"Uh-huh." She replied nonchalantly whilst brushing down the sofa. She obviously hasn't noticed the reaction I've had.

"Oh for God's sakes close your mouth Jack, you look like the village idiot." She complains and I oblige.

"You expect me to be OK? Suddenly my ex-wife is ringing you and then you arrange to meet?"

"We did invite her to the wedding Jack. I can't just ignore her." Good point but I have my comeback.

"The reception, OK? The reception." This is just too odd. My new wife is friends with my old wife....ugh. "And she didn't even make it to that."

"Look, I saw her while I was out shopping... I couldn't just pretend I never saw her." Sam was getting highly annoyed and I realise that it's never good to get into an argument with a pregnant woman who's high on hormones. "Just get over it Jack."

Before I have a chance to reply, she's turned on the vacuum cleaner and I'm fighting to get myself heard.

Maybe now's the time to give up.

There's a feeling that I should never have started.

She always wins.

*

"Sam!" I hear Sara's voice and I can make almost a straight path to her, people swerving so I can reach her.

It seems that people are trying to avoid the heavily pregnant woman just in case she gives birth.

"Hey Sara." God, I couldn't sound more like Jack if I tried. As we come closer, I'm not sure whether to greet her with a handshake, a hug or nothing.

But thankfully Sara takes the initiative and brings me into a small but friendly hug. "How are you doing?" She refers to the growing bump. "She's not being too disturbing is she?"

"Nah, she's being great...although I reckon she's going to be a good soccer player when she's older."

We quickly find a table and she tells me her list of things to buy today. Apparently Tom needs some new shirts.

"So how's everything going with you and Tom?" It's nice to be able to talk to someone who doesn't always want to talk about work and saving the world.

A little smile appears on her face. And instantly I have an idea about what might be the cause of the glee.

"Are you going to let me in on what that smile is all about?" I ask her, but I'm pretty sure that I know already.

"I'm pregnant." She looks thrilled. And I'm so happy for her.

Honestly.

"I can't believe it! That's great." I squeeze her hand and we look at each other with grins on our faces.

"Yeah, I found out two days ago. I was going to ring you but I thought I'd tell you in person."

Y'know, I never thought I'd be in this position with the ex-Mrs O'Neill...genuinely happy for her and the fact that she's pregnant.

The conversation continues about babies unsurprisingly. And after a while, I look up as I see a figure stand next to us.

What the hell?

"Ladies." He says simply and I feel like wringing his neck. "Can I sit down?" He asks and Sara looks pleased that he's here.

But I'm certainly not. This is one of those times when I want to ring his neck.

"Jack, what a pleasant surprise." I say in my most obvious "I'm pissed at you and I'm so gonna kick your ass when we get home" voice.

"Sit down Jack....we were talking about the baby." Phew, I'm glad she hasn't decided to tell him about her pregnancy.

Too weird, even for me.

"Yeah, it's getting close now." He comments and then has the gall to take some of my muffin.

He really is looking for a fight.

"You must be so excited." Sara sounds neutral when she's talking to him. Like old friends and I almost forget about the circumstances in which me and Jack came together.

But those thoughts are pushed to the back of my head as the talk continues of babies, Jack's plans and shopping.

*

"Great(!)...Mmm, I'll come back now." Sara talks into the cellphone with me and Jack trying not to seem like we're eavesdropping whilst I'm trying to kick him under the table.

She flips the phone and tosses it into her bag. "I have to go, I'm so sorry." She apologises. "My house has just flooded. Tom came over and the whole place is filled with water."

Hey, I sympathise. I know what that's like.

Jack.

Left.

The.

Tap.

On.

"That sounds like fun(!)" I move to say goodbye as she gets up from the table. We both give brief hugs to Sara.

"I'll ring you sometime next week, we can meet up when my plumber has decided not to go on vacation." Sara laughs good naturedly.

If it was me, I'd be screaming.

"Great."

"We'll have to meet up soon Jack. It's been great talking to you. I haven't spoken to for at least a year." She says and Jack nods with a smile on his face.

"Meet soon. You can come round and see Beth-Anne."

"Mabel." I correct him. I still haven't told him I prefer his name.

"Whatever. It'd be nice to meet this Tom."

"Mmm." She muses and then realises she has to get going. Before she leaves the caf, she looks at me and Jack, who was sneakily but his arm round my waist. "I'm so glad you took my advice Sam. Criminal if you guys didn't get it together. Just took his ex-wife to tell you that he was in love you right?"

Lord.

We both stand in stunned silence as we realise what she just said.

"You never told him it was me, did you?" She says quietly, not averting her gaze from mine.

"Noooo. But I think he's probably guessed now." I reply. I'm not annoyed, merely frustrated I couldn't tell him myself.

I turn to look at my husband and he's just trying to contemplate the words.

"OK, I'm gonna go before I start spilling more." She whispers and dashes off.

Sometimes life is cruel.

*

"I can't believe you didn't tell me!" We're standing in our living room and we're having the biggest argument of our relationship so far. "Sara told you that I was in love with you and that's what makes you come on to me." He pauses for effect. "I even asked you what it was."

OK, that's not fair. "Jack, you were about to seduce me! Did you really want me bringing up your ex-wife as we were about to have sex?"

That stops his complaining for a bit. "Valid point." He concedes. And for some pathetic reason I fell like doing a victory dance round the front room. "But you could have told me sooner."

"Does it really matter?" I rationalise. "Yeah, she might have told me that you loved me. But I came to the decision myself. It wasn't like she forced me Jack."

"Wait, hold up there. What did you say? She told you that I was in love with you?" He repeats.

"Er, yup."

"I didn't."

"What?"

"Tell her."

"Tell her what?"

OK, this is going to be a long game.

"That I was in love with you."

Oooo-kkkkk-aaaa-yy.

"I hadn't spoken to her for a year at least. She wouldn't have known. She could have guessed, but I never admitted it." His face has turned suddenly thoughtful.

"Then why the hell did she tell me that?"

Pondering and thinking we both slump onto the couch.

"Who would've told her?" He says and I give him a puzzled look. "Someone must've told her; someone we know." Jack elaborates "or how else would she know where you were going to be."

"Can you say coincidence?" I reply sarcastically.

"Can you say set-up?" He replies in kind and we both fall about laughing. Which is not doing good for the state of my bladder.

"Well, who?" I ask after the laughing has ceased.

"Not Teal'c or the General. They're not "touchy feely" people."

"Not Daniel. He's a blind as a bat. You think he would have noticed?" I joke.

"True. So that only leaves..."

*

"Hi Cassie speaking."

"Cassie, it's Sam." I reply, trying to not start shouting for her mother. "Is Janet in?"

"Yeah...is everything OK with Beth-Anne?" She asks.

"Mabel and yes, everything's fine. Can you get your mom?"

"Sure." She puts the phone down on the table and shouts loudly for Janet.

"Hi Sam!" She sounds enthusiastic. Not when I'm done with her.

"Hey Janet. Can I talk to you about something completely private?"

"Sure Sam, I'm your doctor. You can trust me."

"OK, well...." I trail off "You know what, I don't think I will. You never know, you might blab whatever I say to Sara O'Neill"

*

Three months later-

Congratulations were all I heard as I entered the base this morning.

Sam decided to bring in baby Beth-Anne to show her "techies" as Jack likes to call them.

And they were all gushing over the new arrival, but still questioning Sam on some new devices they'd discovered.

She was only too happy to help.

Quelle surprise.

Jack followed her around like the proud father and I can't help feeling some pride myself.

It was all down to me that they finally got to this stage. Where they don't have to hide and they don't have to fight what they feel.

The Air Force is part of my life, but the rule are so confining especially when they're applied to a place like this. So, it was only my duty to help them come around those rules.

And I'm glad I did. Sam and Jack are going to be perfect parents to Beth-Anne and I hear they want another.

Which is... There's a knock on my door and I deliberate not answering. But it could be something important.

"Enter." I used my commanding voice and a suitably scared airman stands in front of me wondering what the hell they did wrong.

"If you could just take a look at these figures General...."

*

Sorry if this story was a let down. I just had to write it because I like this concept way too much!

Email with questions, comments and feedback.

There's talk (in my brain) of a sequel and I'm looking for writers who are willing to help with portions of the story (full credits natch) and some plot lines are welcome.

I was thinking about the General giving feedback to the Pres' as one of the scenes but for this sequel, I think I need an actual plot!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter