Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Possession Is Nine Tenths Of The Law

by Anneka OCarter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Possession Is Nine Tenths Of The Law

Possession Is Nine Tenths Of The Law

by Anneka OCarter

Summary: When one night turns into one lifetime
Category: Drabble
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/10/03

Title: Possession Is Nine Tenths Of The Law

Author: Anneka O'Carter

Summary: When one night turns into one lifetime.

Author Notes: I like this although I based it on another fan fic I read. There are quite a few like this but I hope this is a good addition to the bunch.

Kelly/Cayenta who I'm going to joint write with-can you email me cause I lost your address!

I bet you can't guess what I'm gonna say next?

Damn, you're right.

I'd love some feedback.

*

"You must talk so big

To make up for smaller things"

Can't Hold Us Down by Christina Aguilera and Lil' Kim.

*

The bar was reasonably crowded for a Tuesday night, but they didn't mind. Any downtime was gratefully received even for Carter who'd been thoroughly exhausted after their last mission.

So this was what they were doing to relax; sitting in a bard, trying to drink each other under the table. Well, Carter and O'Neill were anyway. Teal'c was sitting stoically as usual, but engaged in a conversation with Janet about some movie they both wanted to see. Daniel was hiccuping and trying to recover from the three tequila shots he half dribbled down his chin.

But Sam and Jack were flirting outrageously between bouts of drinking heavily but neither of them seemed to realise the attention Sam was getting from a male standing at the bar.

"Want another beer?" She asked the Colonel and he nodded with a cheeky grin. He was relieved that she hadn't added "sir" at the end of her sentence and she hadn't done that for the past half an hour although most of that time was taken up with staring at each other goofily and downing shots of vodka.

Collecting the other orders from the assembled friends, she went to the bar and recited the list to the barman who was steadily pouring the drinks. Sam was so involved in watching the Colonel laugh with Daniel about something that probably wasn't hilarious to anyone but him, she didn't notice the man sidle next to her.

"Looks like you and your friends are running up quite a tab..." The man commented and Sam just smiled slightly at the guy standing next to her. He wasn't ugly or revolting...she just was waiting for one man in particular. The man who was currently berating Janet for her lack of tolerance for alcohol which was frankly nearly as bad as Daniel's.

"Yeah." She replied and started piling the drinks onto a tray.

"Here, let me help you with that." He offered and she smiled graciously. "I'm Leo by the way." At that moment, Jack looked over to Sam who looked quite uncomfortable at the man who was obviously making a play for her. He had no idea if she would be offended if he went up to her and played the role of tough, military boyfriend but then he realised that'd probably be pushing it too far.

Even for them.

"I'll pay for this round." Leo said to the barman and Sam looked shocked.

"You really don't have to." Sam admonished but he smiled, in a disconcerting way.

"It's quite alright." Leo handed the money over and she was about to walk back to their table when he took a slight, but firm grip of her wrist. "Do you want to come back to mine after you've ditched your mates?" He asked leeringly and she frowned.

"Uh, no." She said deadpan and tried to move away to the safety of her friend's company.

"I just paid for your drinks and now you're turning me down." Leo said incredulously. "It don't work like that lady." He said patronisingly and took the drinks from her hands harshly and put them on the counter. "Let's go." He said gripping onto her wrist tightly.

"I said no." Sam replied determined not to overreact and use her self defence skills on him. Especially in O'Malley's. It took them months to persuade him to let them back.

"I don't think so." Leo's eyes darkened and she wondered what kind of psycho he was.

"She said no." A familiar and strong voice came from behind her and she visibly relaxed. "Now leave it." Jack sidled next to her. He couldn't watch his 2IC get harassed like that; he knew she wouldn't have done anything to hurt the guy but it annoyed the hell outta him that someone could behave like that to her.

"Who are you?" Leo drawled. "Her boyfriend?"

Jack paused for a second and then realised he had to speak or this weirdo would start to realise. "Yes." He replied and he could feel Sam's body tense. To make the illusion complete, he slid his arm round her waist and pulled her closer.

Sam thought it would feel so uncomfortable but it felt surprisingly natural to be in his arms.

Leo backed off slightly and sat down at the other end of the bar, muttering something that Jack definitely didn't want to hear. But he let it lie. He didn't want to get in any more trouble in his favourite bar.

"Are you OK?" He asked and he felt her head nod against her.

"Yeah. He was just a loser that's all." She was acutely aware of his arm and his hands which were currently stroking her stomach lightly and she prayed that he wouldn't stop.

"Come on, let's go back to the others." They walked over to the table and sat down with the drinks, Jack still unaware of the position he was in with his 2IC. The others looked at them wordlessly for a second, not realising what had just taken place, but they got back into their conversations.

Sam took a sip of her drink and absentmindedly looked around the bar and saw Leo staring at her intensely. To be honest, it was freaking her out. Immensely. Jack seemed to sense that and pulled her tighter.

"Don't worry Sam." He reassured her, wondering if she'd be insulted but he carried on as she didn't argue with him. "You said it before, he's a loser. He probably does it to every woman within a mile radius."

"Mmm." She mused and she saw Leo edging closer and closer to the area where they were sitting. Suddenly, she pulled herself onto Jack's lap and wrapped her arms round his neck. Momentarily, he was surprised until he saw Leo and he acted along with her, resting his other arm over her legs.

The other were too drunk to notice or do anything about what Sam and Jack were acting like round each other. Teal'c just sat, guessing that they pair had finally got it together. Carrying on the pretence, Sam whispered something in his ear girlishly and he gave a deep laugh.

They sat talking to different people, her legs dangling off his lap. He knew that this wasn't exactly what the Air Force handbook said about fraternisation, but could he help it if it felt so right?

And all it took was a drunk psychopath to make him realise he was in love with his 2IC. He just sat watching her. She didn't realise that he was staring at her intensely and neither did anybody else. He watched her as her eyes widened when Janet told her a dirty joke and laughing when Daniel's head decided to fall onto Teal'c's lap. Instead of seeing Carter, he saw Sam.

The woman he would die for.

*

It had been an hour since the fracas with Leo and he was still watching them. But as time passed, they became a more convincing couple, she was occasionally brushing something of his shirt or smoothing down his unruly hair and he was tracing patterns on her thighs lazily.

God, he was going to hate it when they had to return to normality; and that this little universe they created for themselves wasn't real.

Both were trying to convince themselves that it could last forever, but they both knew it couldn't.

O'Malley's was closing now and reluctantly Sam left Jack's lap and he felt bereft of her warm presence. They would've walked out in silence if it wasn't for Daniel's decision to duet with Janet in the car park, singing an out of tune rendition of "I Will Survive".

Sam and Jack looked at each other with grins on their faces and suddenly, their eyes caught and they realised that things had changed forever and they flicked their gazes away hastily.

Thankfully, they'd all ordered cabs for the ride home except for Teal'c who was driving Daniel back to base.

The first taxi turned up and Janet bid her goodbyes to them, making a signal for Sam to call her in the morning. As the second pulled up, Jack couldn't resist the urge to kiss her so he did.

Tenderly and sensitively he brought his lips to hers and they embraced without thinking of the rules and the regulations. It was just them. Not time loop, no alien virus. Just Sam and Jack.

They bundled themselves wordlessly into the car and the passion over took them.

*

She'd been lying awake for half an hour now, and nothing was becoming any clearer to her. She knew how much she loved her job and the Stargate. But she knew how much she loved this man who was lying next to her; his arm flung over her waist possessively.

She felt helpless. She needed to keep her job; despite the un-normalcy of anything that went on in the base, it was one of the stable things in her life. But looking at Jack, she knew that soon he'd be the normal thing in her life and that excited her more than anything.

She tried to tell herself it was a one night thing, and that today they could go back to being best friends. But how could she forget that night? Her first time with "The One".

Her rational thought had fled her mind when his eyes flickered open, reacting to the bright light. They stared at each other for a few seconds; the awkwardness rendering them silent. But after some quiet moments, Jack found his voice.

"Are you staying?" He asked.

She paused for a second. "Yes."

*

So very unrealistic, I know! First thing, I know that Sam coulda defended herself, but what's the point in the story then?

And I know that they would never have acted like that....but gimme a break! I'm just a poor devoted fan fic writer. What can I do?

If you're gonna give me feedback, make it good and LONG!

Love Anneka

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Anneka OCarter