Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Magnetism

by AngelQueen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Magnetism

Magnetism

by AngelQueen

Summary: How Sam *really* knew they were imposters.
Category: Angst, Drama, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Romance, Thoughts
Episode Related: 101 Children of the Gods, 105 First Commandment, 108 Brief Candle, 113 Hathor, 301 Into the Fire, 305 Learning Curve, 314 Foothold
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/13/03

She'd known it wasn't him when he and Daniel had shown up at the caf in D.C. Though Daniel had seemed to be his typical babbling self and Maybourne was still being an arrogant asshole, but Sam could clearly feel something... off, about her commanding officer.

The ensuing conversation only served to compound her instincts. First off, he did not remove his sunglasses the entire time. Second, his voice held none of the irreverent flippancy that was so familiar to her. His tone was distinctly flat. And although that wasn't necessarily unusual - perhaps it was just him being concerned and her brain truly was screwed up - but there were other nuisances that bothered her as well.

Almost since the day she'd met him, Sam had felt inexplicably drawn to Jack O'Neill. Whether it had been his... unique sense of humor or maybe just his remarkably ability to be a total pain in the ass, she didn't know. The lunatic fringe and all that.

But whatever it was, it had kept her on his team for the next three years; she never had the desire to request a transfer. She'd faced a Goa'uld bitch - queen and a former boyfriend who thought he was a god. Sam had watched him age half a lifetime in a matter of days, as well as a host of other horrors, mostly due to the fierce loyalty Jack inspired.

But, in her case, it had been more than loyalty. The only way Sam could describe it was that she was attracted to him like a magnet to metal.

And that was how Sam knew that, despite his appearance, the man before her was not Jack O'Neill. When she looked at him, she felt nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Though `the Colonel' had said that she had a choice, Sam knew she had none. Maybourne - if he indeed really was Maybourne - had made that quite clear. She wouldn't have been surprised if half of the occupants of the caf turned out to be NID agents undercover, ready to pounce the moment she tried to walk away from them.

So she had gone with them. Maybe she had even hoped that she really was hallucinating, that these people really were the people she knew.

Seeing flashes of a particularly nasty and ugly alien had ruined that.

And later, when Sam had finally made it back inside the base, and had come face to face with another Colonel - and another Major Davis, but he was hardly her main concern - Sam had immediately known that she'd found the right man. The sense of magnetism had returned.

They'd forced the aliens to retreat. They'd saved the planet. Again. Everything had turned out for the best. Jack had even been in a good enough mood to say something nice to Maybourne. Definitely a day of miracles.

And as Maybourne had left the briefing room and everyone else had moved to follow, Sam's eyes had momentarily locked with Jack's. It was a moment that echoed slightly of the look they'd exchanged the day they'd met in that very same room, but instead of the feeling of irritated frustration, not only had she felt the pull that had alerted to what danger she'd faced, but there was... something else there.

God forbid anyone ask her to explain that. Especially when she didn't understand it herself.

"Hey Carter!"

Sam jerked slightly, looking up from her laptop. Standing in the doorway of her lab was the Colonel, who had a distinctly unsettled look on his face. She smiled at him. "Sir! What can I do for you?"

He entered the room and planted himself on the opposite side of the lab table. Holding up his fingers, he said, "Two things: One, you get the heck out of this lab and come eat something with me, Teal'c, and Danny Boy. Two, protect me from the Doc. Davis `accidentally' let her know that I decked her double. She took it personally for some reason and is now threatening me with her needles."

She laughed. "Yes sir, of course. Just one minute. I'm almost finished typing up my report. I can send it to the General tomorrow."

He nodded and planted himself down on the other stool in the room, clearly intending to wait for her. Her eyes returned to the laptop screen and her fingers flew expertly over the keyboard.

Within the next few minutes, Sam was finished. As she set about saving her work, she glanced up in the Colonel's direction. And blinked in shock.

He'd managed to find a slab of excess metal from her naquadah reactor and a small magnet from an earlier experiment and was now entertaining himself by placing the two close together and letting the magnet be yanked out of his hands and towards the metal.

Blinking again and shaking her head in an attempt to rid the symbolism from her mind, Sam shut down her laptop. Immediately, the Colonel looked up at her. Seeing her stand, he quickly dropped the magnet and piece of metal and did the same. "Ready," he asked.

She nodded and started towards the door, clearly aware of the fact that he was right behind her. A slight smirk appeared on her face as she thought of something.

"Oh, Colonel?"

"Yeah?"

"Those two things you asked me to do? Well, technically, that was three things."

There was an obvious whine in his tone when he replied. "For crying out loud, Carter! Gimme a break!"

"Yes sir. Is that Janet down the hall?"

"What?!"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to AngelQueen