Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Quick Conversation

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Princess And The Scholar Part Two

The Princess And The Scholar Part Two

by L.E McMurray

Summary: It's been two months since Sha're left him and Daniel only has one quetion, why?

Category: Angst, Drama, Romance
Episode Related: 715 Chimera
Season: future Season
Pairing: Daniel/Sha're, Daniel/other
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-07-27

Author's notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Okay, this was not supposed to happen, I originally planned this to be a stand-alone with possibly a sequel to explain what happened. Now, I have a part two. Thanks to everyone who reviewed especially Dimac99 for her rather gentle nudging for more and to Teri for her *threats*.

Hope you enjoy and yes I'm working on the next part which considering everything else I have waiting for next parts I'm becoming as bad as Teri, (I'm still waiting for the next part of Knighted.)

My dearest husband,

I wish I could say this to you face to face so that you understand but there is no time. I have to return to Kilros. If the Prince discovers that I am not who I was said to be then my whole village, those who cared for me when I did not know who I was and those I called my parents will be punished probably killed.

I cannot live with that.

I shall therefore within the months leading up to the marriage try and find some other way than revealing my true identity to break the betrothal, if not I shall tell him who I truly am and face the consequences.

Please understand that no matter what I have to say in public I love you. I will always love you and I will return as soon as I can.

Yours always,

Your loving wife,

Sha're.

-

Erit smiled as he reread her letter to Dr Jackson. He'd seen the look in the young man's eyes at her final words to him and without her explanation Erit wouldn't have to worry about Daniel Jackson coming after her. Erit's plans depended on her being here.

Opening the small box in front of him he removed the jewelled hand device. Soon he would rule.

"What is his problem?" Helen asked her friend after witnessing the argument in the corridor between Dr Daniel Jackson and one of his staff.

"His wife left him," Trudy explained, "For another guy."

"No wonder," Helen replied, "Good looking but what a bastard."

Beth Stewart frowned as she overheard some of the nurses new to the base talking about Daniel. They did have a point she admitted to herself, he had been acting like the anti-Christ the past two months but the guy had a major reason for it. She'd heard from Sam what had happened and wished she could help but Daniel didn't discuss his personal life.

When the others had heard he'd called down for tech support for his computer everyone looked nervously at Beth who rolled her eyes and headed to his office.

-

Beth knocked on the door, "Hey Daniel."

"The screen's frozen," he told her without moving his eyes from studying a tablet in front of him.

"I'll get right on it," she smiled, when she got no reply she went to work.

When she'd joined the SGC she'd been in the middle of a horrendous family situation and she'd lost it for a few moments while she was working. Naturally at that moment Daniel had walked in but he'd been so kind and considerate she ended up telling him the entire situation. Every time his computer needed any work after that she was the one who would do it and they'd talk if he was there. Though they mostly talked about her and rarely about him, anything that was discussed relating to him was usually a story involving SG1 and an incident off-world.

She'd been uploading some new software onto his computer about a day after the Kilros delegation had left when she'd found the picture of his wife that had graced his desk from before she even knew him lying in the trash can. The frame was bent and the glass smashed across her face. Beth had discreetly removed it just as the bins were being emptied taking it to Sam for safe-keeping knowing that one day he'd want it back. Finishing her work Beth headed to the door.

"I'm done. I'll see you later Daniel," she called frowning as all she got was a wave of his hand, Daniel was completely shut down

-

Daniel sighed in relief when Beth left. He didn't feel like talking to anyone, he hadn't felt like talking for almost two months.

"Look me in the eye, look me in the eye and tell me you don't love me."

"I do not love you."

Daniel shut his eyes wishing he could destroy that memory, the moment where everything he believed in was suddenly ripped from him. She'd once promised that no matter what she would always love him, no matter what he would never lose that security but she'd lied.

After watching her leave him for good he remembered staggering out of the Gateroom hearing Jack call after him worry in his voice, somehow he made it back to his house and he locked the door. Jack, Sam and Teal'c had all come that night wanting to talk to him, wanting to help but they couldn't. Nothing could help him.

With a sigh he dropped the tablet and got himself more coffee.

Tilsa sat staring out the window, she couldn't think of herself as Sha're feeling she shouldn't use her true name while she was here. She was watching the Flyers as they moved across the evening sky. The pilots were young and trying to prove their skills so they would be accepted into the advanced training programme run by Prince Hendro.

It was almost two months since she'd been on Earth with Daniel, two months since she'd had to say the words that made the light in his eyes die. She missed him so much and hoped he understood why. The letter had been written quickly and more than likely was hard to read but she knew Daniel was wonderful with languages and would be able to decipher her messy writing.

She jumped when the door opened and her personal assistant walked in.

"I'm sorry Your Highness," the young woman apologised, "I didn't mean to disturb you."

"You didn't Ilea," she told her frowning as she looked at the young woman properly, "Are you alright, you look ill."

Ilea shrugged, "It's just the reason I'm sure the deity's male."

Tilsa laughed for the first time in two months before horror covered her face, "Oh no."

"Is something wrong?" Ilea asked.

Tilsa ignored her mentally counting and shaking her head in thought, "Ilea, I need you to find me something and I need you to not ask any questions."

"Anything you wish," Ilea said instantly, her loyalty to this woman not only due to her being Princess Elect but due to Tilsa's sweet, kind and gentle nature.

Tilsa grabbed some paper and quickly wrote down what she needed. Ilea stared at the paper and looked back up at her in confusion.

"No questions," Tilsa reminded her.

Ilea nodded and disappeared quickly leaving Tilsa standing in the middle of the room shaking her head hoping she was wrong.

She couldn't be pregnant.

-

The only light in the room came from the dying embers of the fire that cast a soft glow on the young couple lying close by.

Daniel smiled feeling Sha're's fingers playing with his hair as his head rested on her stomach.

"Dan'iel," she whispered.

"Yes love?" Daniel adored how she said his name.

"Father was hinting about children earlier today," Sha're told him nervously, this was a subject that had never been discussed before.

"What was he saying?" Daniel asked.

"Only that it has been three months since we married," Sha're told him, "And he is looking forward to being a grandfather."

Daniel gently kissed her stomach before crawling up to look into her deep brown eyes, "What did you say?"

"Skaara arrived so I didn't need to give him an answer," she replied before glancing away from him, "It is something we have not discussed,"

"I want to have children with you," Daniel told her turning her back to look at him, "I want a huge family."

"So do I," Sha're smiled up at him.

"But," Daniel added.

"But?" a slight worry filled her eyes.

"We've only known each other a short time and I want it to be just us for a while," Daniel explained.

"How long?" Sha're asked, "How long do you want to wait?"

"How about we make a deal," Daniel said, "If it hasn't happened accidentally by the time our anniversary arrives then we start trying."

"That is a good idea," Sha're smiled.

"Then it's a deal?" Daniel asked.

"A deal, my Dan'iel," Sha're slid her arms around his neck.

"I love you," Daniel told her moving closer to her.

"I love you too, my Dan'iel," she pulled him into a deep passionate kiss.

-

Tilsa felt a few tears slide along her face, the one thing she'd wanted from the moment she and Daniel married had come true. She couldn't stay here anymore, it would be noticed very soon she was with child and very obvious that it did not belong to the Prince.

She had to speak to him personally about it; going through Erit as usual was not an option, not for this. Ilea was being supportive and although confused by this turn of events kept her questions to herself.

"His Highness can see you now," Ilea told her, "Do you wish me to come with you?"

"No," Tilsa said softly, "This is something I have to face myself."

"I shall however accompany you there," Ilea was adamant making Tilsa smile.

"Then come," Tilsa took a deep breath and walked towards Hendro's office, her mind went over and over what she was going to say to him and she hoped she really was as prepared as she thought.

-

"Enter," Hendro called when she knocked.

Tilsa took in a deep breath and motioned Ilea to stay put before opening the door and walking in.

"Good day..." Hendro hesitated.

Tilsa frowned a sudden surge of anger hitting her, "You are due to marry me within one month and yet you do not know my name?"

Hendro stood to face her, "Tilsa, my deepest apologies...I..." he motioned her to sit, "What can I do for you?"

"You can release me from our betrothal," Tilsa got straight to the point.

He looked shocked, "I don't understand."

Tilsa took a deep breath and started to explain what had happened while she was on Earth two months previously.

"Tilsa," Hendro started.

"My name is Sha're," she told him, "And I have been trying to find some way to stop the betrothal since I returned from Earth as I knew I couldn't tell you the truth originally. When Erit told me the retribution my home village would suffer I had to hurt my husband, I can't do that anymore. I am having his child and so much has been taken from him already I will not let this be taken from him also."

Hendro was staring at her in complete confusion, "Retribution?"

"Erit told me that for lying to you my family and those of my village would be targeted by your anger," she explained looking confused also.

"Til...Sha're," Hendro said, "I would never do something like that."

"Erit lied to me?" she whispered feeling sick to her stomach.

"I have a feeling he's lied about more than this," Hendro murmured.

"No," she cried in annoyance, "I can't believe I allowed him to manipulate me like this."

"You are not the only one," Hendro frowned, "Sha're, Erit keeps persuading me that I shouldn't implement my Father's plan to change our government to a democracy."

"He wants to remain in power," Sha're deduced, "If I help you with Erit, will you release me from my betrothal?"

"Sha're, I would never keep you here against your will," Hendro told her with a smile, "But I will need your help with Erit."

"Then we need some plans."

Jack sat wondering how to he was going to break this one to Daniel. The treaty with Kilros was a subject Jack avoided talking about around his friend but this invitation pretty much meant he had to.

"You wanted to see me?" Daniel asked blandly as he stood at the door.

"Hey," Jack forced a grin, "Grab a seat."

Daniel sat down across from Jack giving Jack a chance to see him properly. Daniel was pale, he looked exhausted and the worst thing was how blank his eyes were.

"I just finished talking to SG8 on Kilros," Jack said wincing seeing the look that flashed across Daniel's face before the impassiveness returned, "The Prince has invited us to Kilros for a celebration for the completion of the treaty."

"Why are you telling me this?" Daniel asked flatly.

"Because," Jack took a deep breath, "You were personally invited."

"What?"

"Due to your influence on both the negotiations and your help towards the Princess while she was here," Jack quoted the invite.

Daniel frowned, "Fine."

"Huh?" Jack stared at him.

"Fine," Daniel repeated, "Major Castle said that there are a lot of ancient texts there I can get a look at while there."

"Great," Jack managed to say, "Carter's going to be doing a demonstration of computer systems or something while getting shown their systems. She's taking Beth along to assist her, so if you want you can bring a member of your team to join you."

"Sure," Daniel murmured, "I have to go do some stuff."

Jack frowned as Daniel left the room, "This is going to be hell."

-

Daniel smiled slightly as Sarah walked through the doors into the arrivals lounge.

"Daniel!!" she ran to him and wrapped her arms around his neck in a tight hug, "It's so good to see you."

"You too," he replied sincerely, she seemed much better than the last time he'd seen her. After the removal of Osiris from her and a few days within the SGC she'd gone back to England to recover with her family. Daniel spoke to her every few weeks giving her someone to discuss things she couldn't speak about to anyone else and now she'd come back to Colorado to join the SGC and help use her experience to fight the Gould.

"You look tired," Sarah noted as they started towards the car park.

"I've been working a lot," Daniel replied, not wanting to get into what had happened over the past few months, "Sam's offered to put you up until you can find a place of your own or you can stay on the base but I wouldn't recommend it."

"That bad?" Sarah laughed.

"Not if you like alarms going off at all hours," he gave a slight smile, "Sam's working just now so she asked me to just bring you to the base."

"Let's go then."

Sarah watched Daniel as he drove quietly wondering what was wrong with him, she was hoping that now that she'd had time to assimilate everything that had happened and he'd had time knowing she wasn't going to be the face of one trying to kill him that they would be able to try again.

Sarah studied him comparing him to the man she'd fallen for so many years ago. The vague sweetness was gone replaced by a wary slightly darker personality who had very obviously spent a lot of time in a military organisation and seen things no one had ever dreamed of.

"We've just finished negotiating a treaty with a planet called Kilros," Daniel said suddenly snapping her out of her thoughts, "We're going there for a sort of reception and exchange of technology. I can take a member of my staff so feel like your first trip offworld?"

Sarah stared at him, "When?"

"A few days," Daniel told her, "You don't have to if you don't want but I thought it would be a good way to let you get used to things."

Sarah grinned, "Sounds fun."

-

"Tell me you're kidding?" Jack begged.

Sam shook her head, "Nope, he's bringing Sarah with him."

"Oh God," Jack groaned dropping his head onto his desk, "This is going to be hell."

Sam nodded, "Teal'c is ready to drop him on his head the moment you say so."

"We can't really blame him," Jack reminded her, "Sha're said she didn't love him, right to his face. I heard..."

"What?" Sam asked as he trailed off, "What did I miss?"

"She said it in English," Jack murmured, "Everything before that was in Kilronian or whatever language they speak but when she started speaking to Daniel before they left it was English."

"And?"

"There had to be more to this," Jack sighed, "I saw them when they got back from the cabin she was as nuts about him as she had been on Abydos. I've been going over this in my mind since that day but that never struck me before. Why say it in English if she was trying to persuade us she was still `Princess Tilsa'."

Sam shook her head, "This is going to be hell," she echoed his earlier remark.

"Did you warn Beth?"

She nodded, "Yep, but she's the only member of tech support who'll actually go near him at the moment."

"She's a good kid," Jack smiled, "Well make sure everything is ready for tomorrow. You know I really wish Hammond was still here."

"I know you do sir," Sam smiled, "And don't worry. We'll be ready."

"I hate this thing," Sha're muttered as Ilea helped her fix her veil, "It's not like they haven't seen my face already."

"But several of the guards haven't," Ilea reminded her, "It's the law."

"Well it's stupid," Sha're retorted.

"I'm not going to argue about that," Ilea laughed, "But at the moment you have to obey it."

Sha're grumbled some more but finished dressing feeling a bubble of excitement form in her stomach at seeing her husband again. She had to wait until she could get him alone to tell her news to him but just to be near him again after so long made her smile.

A knock on the door made Ilea move from helping Sha're to answer it.

"Your Highness," Ilea curtsied as Hendro walked in.

Sha're gave a small nod of her head as he waved it away, "Are you ready Sha're?"

A smile covered her face under the veil, "Completely."

Hendro offered her his arm and together they left to greet their guests.

-

Daniel shivered as he stepped out of the Gate the chill having nothing to do with going through the wormhole. He wanted to see her again, but he was terrified how it'd feel when she pretended she didn't know him as her husband.

"Daniel," Sarah said softly, "Are you okay?"

He turned and forced a smile, "I'm fine," Daniel tried to ignore the snort from Jack, "Just thinking."

"Here they come," Sam murmured as the military members of the team stood to attention while the civilians all tried to straighten their stance.

"Welcome to Kilros," Prince Hendro greeted them with a smile, "Thank you for coming."

"Your invitation was very gracious," Jack replied, knowing Daniel so long had rubbed off on him, "Major Carter is looking forward to checking out your computers."

Hendro smiled, "That will be arranged, but first you will be escorted to your rooms and there shall be a reception this evening."

Jack nodded, "We'll see you there."

Daniel's eyes kept drifting to the silent woman beside Hendro, she's no longer your wife he reminded himself, no longer.

He smiled as Sarah took his arm turning and following their guide through the corridors of the palace not seeing Hendro wince as Sha're's nails dug into his arm.

-

Jack looked around the room he had been given; it was large and had a good view of the city.

A knock made him look up, "Come in."

Jack looked surprised as Hendro walked in, "Your Highness, what can I do for you?"

"I wish to discuss the events that happened while our delegation was on Earth," Hendro told him, "Most specifically Dr Jackson's relationship with the Princess."

Crap, Jack thought, "What exactly..."

Hendro smiled at Jack's hesitation, "Sha're has explained everything to me, about who she is and what she did in a belief that she was saving the people she believed at one time to be her family."

Jack stared at him, "That was why she did it. That makes sense finally but did she think Daniel would get over it?"

"Her letter explained all to him," Hendro reminded him.

"What letter?" Jack asked.

-

"How could he not have got the letter?" Sha're cried horrified, "No, no."

"Sha're, please calm down," Hendro said as he watched her.

"This means he thinks..." she trailed off, "He will believe...no."

Her dark eyes filled with tears, she'd killed her husband's love for her no wonder he looked so cold towards her. No wonder he had another woman with him.

"I have to speak with him," Sha're decided, "I have to tell him everything face to face."

"Are you sure that is wise?" Hendro asked, "His anger might be great."

"I know Dan'iel," she assured him sensing what Hendro meant, "He would never hurt me in any way."

With a soft nod of her head to him Sha're left the room and headed to Daniel's room.

"Sarah, I'm fine," Daniel told her for the fifth time, "There's no reason to worry."

"You just seemed slightly off when we were greeted by the Prince and his fianc," Sarah reminded him, "I'm worried about you."

"That's nice to know," Daniel gave a slight smile, "But unnecessary. Look, go and get ready for this party and I'll see you there."

Sarah smiled and leaned into him.

You're not married anymore flickered through his mind but he couldn't kiss her, instead turning his head so she kissed his cheek before going to the door.

"Your Highness," he heard Sarah say when she opened the door.

"I need to speak to Dr Jackson," Sha're's voice floated into the room making his heart beat faster.

Sarah moved out of the road before throwing Daniel a last smile closing the door behind her.

"What can I do for you Princess?" Daniel asked coldly, turning to stare out of the window.

"Did you find my letter to you?" Sha're asked as she removed her veil.

"What letter?" Daniel didn't move but his eyes were closed as he tried to resist the urge to look at her.

"I left you a letter Dan'iel," Sha're whispered, "So you would understand."

"Understand?" Daniel cried turning on her, "Understand what?"

"Husband please," Sha're said.

"I'm not married," Daniel replied turning back to the window, "My wife is dead."

"And yet you are about to become a father," Sha're retorted tears in her eyes, she headed to the door but Daniel caught her arm, "You have something more to say?"

"You're pregnant?" Daniel asked stunned.

Sha're turned back to him and nodded.

"How?" he whispered.

"I thought you would know as you were there Dan'iel," Sha're couldn't stop herself from saying.

"You can't do this to me," Daniel cried letting go of her, "You were everything to me Sha're. Not even when you died did I let go of you."

"And now?" she asked softly.

Daniel stared at her for a second before finally managing to voice the question that had plagued him for so many months, "Why did you say it? Why did you tell me you didn't love me?"

"So you would allow me to go," she explained her hand moved to stroke his cheek, "I had to leave and return here. It is hard to explain but please allow me the chance to try."

"No," Daniel let her arm go and stepped back from her, "You left me and I've moved on," he hoped she wouldn't realise he was lying about moving on.

Sha're grabbed the veil and left the room without a word.

-

"You can't expect him to get over it just like that," Jack's voice made her jump as she leant against the wall outside Daniel's room tears flowing along her cheeks.

"I never expected this," Sha're cried, "I made sure my letter explained it all. I never realised he would not read the letter."

Jack sighed, "Sha're, the moment you said you didn't love him destroyed Daniel. You knew that would happen."

"Yes and I had no choice whatsoever," Sha're argued back, "Erit made me believe that I would be responsible for the death of everyone in the village I lived."

Jack gently squeezed her shoulder, "Give him time and I'm sure he'll realise it."

"Who," Sha're hesitated, "Who is the woman with him?"

"She's just an old friend of his," Jack assured her, "Sarah Gardener, someone he knew long before he met either of us. She's just joined the SGC and he thought this would be a good first mission for her."

Sha're nodded, "I must go and prepare for the reception."

"Explain this to me again," Jack said, "Hendro knows you're not going to marry him but you two are still acting as though you are."

"Erit must not know that we both know he is up to something," Sha're explained, "Doing this keeps us in control, I learned some things from you Jack."

Jack laughed, "Good girl."

Daniel sat thinking over everything she'd said to him. She had lied to stop people being hurt, she still loved him, he was going to be a father. The thoughts whirled around and around in his head jumbling together until he wanted to cry at them to stop. A knock at the door made him frown.

"What?" he yelled.

"No need to be snippy at me," Sarah told him as she walked in, "Sam told me to come and tell you it's almost time for this reception so start getting ready."

Daniel groaned, "Do you think they'd believe I was sick?"

Sarah looked at him worriedly, "Are you sure you're okay? I mean you've been off since we got here."

"I'm fine Sarah," he said.

"Daniel."

"I said I'm fine," he snapped before instantly regretting it, "Sorry."

Sarah took his hands, "Remember that whole speech you gave when I was recovering, how if I needed to talk all I had to do was call?"

Daniel nodded.

"Well the same is true the other way," Sarah told him, "I want to help."

"You can't," Daniel whispered, "But thanks for the offer. Tell Sam I'll be there on time, I'll see you there."

Sarah leaned into him and caught his cheek so he couldn't turn away pressing a gentle kiss to his lips before she left.

"Oh no," Daniel murmured to himself as he watched the door close, "Maybe I should just quit," he muttered to himself as he started to change for the reception.

-

Daniel smiled as Sarah twirled for him when he met her at the ballroom, "You look great," he said sincerely and she did. The blue dress she wore was simple but effective and made her eyes sparkle.

"Why thank you kind sir," she batted her eyes at him mocking, "This isn't such a bad mission."

"Wait until you're walking through the mud with a heavy pack on your back," Daniel told her.

"It depends on the company," Sarah smiled at him

"Leave it Carter," Jack's annoyed voice preceded Jack and Sam joining them.

"I'm just saying you looked a little uncomfortable," Sam couldn't keep the grin out of her voice despite managing the straight face.

"What's wrong?" Daniel asked glad to have a distraction.

"I just mentioned how this was his first big off-world occasion as a General," Sam explained, "And he looked a little..."

"Annoyed," Jack finished for her, "Are we going in?"

"Just waiting on Teal'c and Beth to join us," Daniel said.

"We're here," Beth announced as the final members of the party arrived.

"Beth, you have legs," Daniel cried jokingly.

The young woman gave him a glare, "I also have a foot to kick you..."

"We should go in," Teal'c stopped her finishing her sentence.

"Don't you think he suits the General stars," Sam pointed out to Beth to continue teasing Jack.

"Carter," he thundered.

"Major Carter," Teal'c interceded, "If you would accompany me."

Sam grinned and took Teal'c's arm; Sarah slipped her arm through an uncomfortable Daniel's.

"Guess it's you and me left," Jack muttered to Beth, "Shall we?"

Beth smiled and took his offered arm.

-

Daniel stood uncomfortable with Sarah holding his arm. He was feeling guilty about what he'd said to Sha're but what she'd said to him had cut so deeply. Looking to where Sarah stood he frowned, he'd brought her here to try and make Sha're jealous which wasn't fair on Sarah who seemed to be trying to restart their relationship. Any romantic feelings he'd had for her had died a long time ago and he saw her only as a friend these days. He loved Sha're, she was everything to him and despite all he'd felt and thought over the past few months if she walked into his arms right now he wouldn't let her go.

His attention was pulled to the announcement of the Prince's arrival, and felt his breath catch in his throat. Because it was such a small gathering Sha're didn't have to wear the veil.

Daniel couldn't move his eyes from his wife as she descended the steps her hand resting lightly on Hendro's arm. She was wearing a long dark red dress that showed off her slim figure, her long black hair had been straightened and flowed along her back like silk.

"Hey," Sarah smacked Daniel's hand playfully, "She's already taken."

Daniel let his eyes wander Sha're once more before smiling slightly, "Yes she is."

-

Erit walked through the city to his meeting; he wondered how the reception was going. She wouldn't make a move to speak to her precious husband he was sure of that, and he wouldn't talk to her after what she said to him.

It would probably be extremely entertaining to watch.

"You are late," a deep voice growled.

"I want to make sure I wasn't followed," Erit replied, "I am sure no one knows what I'm doing but I prefer to be safe. Killing people randomly can bring problems."

"Enough of your problems," a man walked from the shadows, "Is she the one?"

"Yes," Erit replied, "I have seen the mark, her blood contains the mineral. She will be able to use the device for us."

"Good," the man said, "And then," his eyes glowed molten gold, "I shall have a new host for my Queen and you will rule this world."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to L.E McMurrayor post a commenton this story.