Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Home Is Where The Heart Is

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Nine Months Earlier


Skaara bade his father goodnight before he started walking home. Making sure he was alone, he changed direction and picked up the small package he had left in his childhood hideaway.

Being careful so that no one saw him, he made his way from the town to the caves. Once there he found the entrance to a secret cave no one knew of. Sitting waiting for him was his sister.

“Here,” he handed her the package of food and water.

“Thank you, Skaara,” Sha’re gave him a soft almost imperceptible smile.

Sitting across from her Skaara frowned, “Why will you not let me tell Father you are here?”

“I am not ready to face him,” Sha’re told her brother, “I can’t dishonour him any more.”

“Neither of us dishonoured him,” Skaara sighed in annoyance, “The Goa’uld were the ones who did everything, not us.”

“I had a child by another man,” Sha’re snapped, anger filling her eyes, “I betrayed my marriage, no matter what anyone says. Do you know how much I want to see Dan’iel? How much I want him to know I am alive?”

Skaara dropped his head, knowing he would have to tell her finally, “Sha’re, Dan’iel he is…”

“What?” Sha’re demanded fearfully as he trailed off.

“O’Neill came to see us a few months ago,” Skaara explained sadly, “Dan’iel, he…he…he died saving many people.”

“No,” she whispered tears filling her eyes, “Please, Skaara tell me it’s not true.”

“I’m sorry,” Skaara whispered; pulling her into a hug, rocking her as she cried, “I’m sorry.”



Skaara gently covered his sister with the blankets before he left the cave. She had appeared through the Stargate two days ago when he had been sitting in the pyramid thinking. Sha’re begged him not to tell their Father she was there just yet and give her time to recover before she saw him. Skaara only understood what she meant when he saw the wounds inflicted on her arms and shoulders; wounds he knew also went along her back. Reluctantly, he agreed and had been sneaking her food and water while she stayed hidden in a cave only she and Daniel had known about.

Now he was unsure if she would ever emerge from her hiding.

“You shouldn’t have told her,” Skaara berated himself as he walked home.

Sha’re had cried herself to sleep after he told her about her husband’s death. Skaara remembered the look on O’Neill’s face when he arrived to tell them about it and the look on Kasuf’s face at the news. Kasuf wanted to bury the body here on Abydos, Daniel’s home but O’Neill sadly told them there was no body.

Taking a decisive breath, Skaara knew that if Sha’re refused to see their father tomorrow then he would tell Kasuf anyway.



The next morning, Sha’re sat numbly in the cave thinking of her husband and the fact she would never see him again. She remembered vividly almost every moment with him and wished she could change everything.

Her back still hurt, the wounds Ba’al had inflicted on her were healing very slowly but they were healing. She remembered a long time when she was stuck in the strange prison, then all of a sudden an explosion rocked the entire room and she was thrown to the ground as the wall of the cell became the floor without the Jaffa making it so. She was amazed to find the force-field gone and crept through the corridors as fast as possible, keeping watch for Jaffa.

She could hear sounds of fighting nearby but they were far away from the Chappa-aii and as she rushed towards it, Sha’re had prayed that there was no block against it as there once was. The moment it had opened, she ran through it and found herself with her brother who she had hugged tightly before making him promise not to tell anyone she was there.

Sha’re sighed, drawing patterns in the sand; she had decided to allow herself some time to heal before returning to Daniel, yet now that would never happen. She didn’t want to leave this cave ever again.



Kasuf sat eating lunch in his home, not wanting to be surrounded by people just now. The silence that encircled him these days saddened him; Skaara was still very withdrawn after his possession and Sha’re…was gone. He missed the laughter and teasing between his son, his daughter and her husband, they had all been so happy together.

“Father,” Skaara called from nearby, “Father?”

“In here, my son,” Kasuf called back.

Skaara appeared in the doorway followed by a cloaked figure.

“Skaara,” Kasuf said, “Who is this?”

Skaara took the figure’s arm as whomever it was tried to leave, “Father, I have someone who wishes to see you.”

Kasuf frowned in confusion, “Who is it?”

“Come on,” Skaara encouraged before frowning and crossing his arms determinedly, “If you don’t remove your hood, I will.”

Very slowly with shaking hands, the figure moved back the hood covering their face.

“Sha’re?” Kasuf gasped, seeing his daughter stand before him.

Her fear filled her eyes, “Father, I…” she didn’t get a chance to finish her sentence as Kasuf pulled her into his arms.

“Oh my darling daughter,” Kasuf cried, not wanting to let her go in case she disappeared.

Sha’re held onto her father tightly, feeling like a little girl in need of his comfort while he rocked her.

“My dear child, how?” Kasuf demanded.

“I am not sure, Father,” Sha’re lied, not wanting to tell him of the pain she had suffered, “I just want to put it all behind me.”

“Sha’re,” Kasuf took her face in his hands staring into her eyes, “My child…”

“Skaara told me,” Sha’re whispered, averting her eyes, “Dan’iel is gone.”

Kasuf nodded, “I am sorry, Sha’re. I wish I did not have to tell you this.”

“I would like to sleep,” Sha’re whispered, moving out of her father’s arms, “If you…”

Kasuf nodded and after gently kissing her forehead, allowed her to go rest.

*********************************************

“O’Neill,” Skaara greeted him as he stepped out of the Gate.

“Hey Skaara,” Jack grinned, hugging the young man; “How you doing, kid?”

“I am well,” Skaara smiled and nodded in greeting to the other members of SG1, “But there is something you need to see.”

“What?” Sam asked.

“Come with me,” Skaara motioned them.

Jack walked beside Skaara as Sam, and Teal’c brought up the rear, Jonas was still on Earth studying up for their next mission. As they neared the town, Kasuf joined them.

“Welcome,” Kasuf said taking Jack’s hand and shaking it, “Come.”

“Okay, guys as much as I trust you,” Jack said, “You are beginning to worry me.”

“There is just something you must see,” Kasuf told him.

Kasuf led the members of the Tauri through the city to where his daughter stayed. He knew she did not want him to do this but he felt that O’Neill should be informed of her return. He hoped maybe they would be able to help her over the death of her husband.

“O’Neill, please come the rest of the way yourself,” Kasuf said, stopping them outside the tent.

Jack shrugged, “You guys wait here.”

“Yes, sir,” Sam answered, completely intrigued by the behaviour of the two Abydonian men.



Before they entered the tent, Kasuf placed a finger to his lips so that Jack remained silent. Completely confused, Jack followed Kasuf inside and stopped dead as he saw who was sitting, sadly staring into space. The mending she was meant to be doing held loosely in her hands.

“Sha’re?” Jack choked out startling her.

Sha’re jumped up, her eyes wide before she turned to her father angrily, “You promised you would not tell them.”

Before Kasuf could defend his decision, Jack had Sha’re in a tight hug.

“Oh you’re real,” Jack laughed before looking into her eyes to tell her about Daniel.

“I know what happened,” she whispered.

“He saved so many people,” Jack told her, “Be proud of that.”

Sha’re’s eyes filled with tears but she blinked them back, “Thank you.”

“Do you want to come back with us?” Jack asked, realising this to be Kasuf’s plan, “Spend some time on Earth with his friends?”

After a few seconds of thought, Sha’re nodded, “I would like that.”

“Well the rest of them are outside,” Jack told her, “Want to say hi and watch Carter and Teal’c have heart attacks?”

Looking at him in confusion, Sha’re didn’t have a chance to say anything as he led her outside.

“Hey, guys,” Jack called, “Look what Kasuf and Skaara found.”

Teal’c’s eyes widened in amazement as Sam stood with her mouth hanging open. “Sha’re?” Sam finally managed to say.

“Hello again, Samantha,” Sha’re said very softly, not moving from Jack who had his arm slung protectively around her, “And you, Teal’c.”

“Sha’re?” Sam said again.

“Snap out of it, Carter,” Jack told her, “Sha’re is coming back to Earth with us.”

“Of course,” Teal’c nodded, “Do you want to warn General Hammond?”

Jack nodded, “We do kinda need him not to have a stroke. You’re going to cause quite a stir sweetheart.”

Sha’re gave him a soft half-smile, walking with him as they started towards the Stargate.

**********************************************

Sitting back against the soft pillows on the bed, Sha’re watched the comings and goings of the infirmary. She was struggling to hold her emotions in check around the many people that milled around the large room.

Dr Fraiser had done tests on her, to determine her health and now she was supposed to be resting but she was finding it hard to sleep.

She still couldn’t believe her husband; her Daniel was gone. Daniel had survived so much, only to be taken when she had finally been freed; it broke her heart.

“Sha’re?” Janet Fraiser came over to her, “Can’t sleep?”

Sha’re shook her head softly, “I am not very comfortable in here.”

“Too many people?” Janet asked.

Sha’re nodded.

“Well, Colonel O’Neill will be here soon,” Janet told her, “He’ll take you to a private room.”

“Thank you,” Sha’re whispered.



When Jack arrived, Sha’re felt safe again. She knew her father and Skaara both trusted Jack but she had always been wary of him, especially due to the way he had ignored Daniel when he arrived back on Abydos. However he was the only one she really felt comfortable around. Teal’c was a reminder of all the horrible things that had happened to her, though she did like him and Samantha was a little overwhelming to be around but Jack, he would sit with her silently and seemed to know when to gently touch her shoulder or hug her. He was like the older brother she had never had and it was comforting.

“I made up the room for you,” Jack told her as he guided her along the corridor, “Made it a little brighter than usual.”

Sha’re looked at him curiously.

“Daniel once mentioned how much you liked things to be bright and cheerful,” Jack told her, “I thought you might feel more at home.”

“Why are you doing this for me?” Sha’re whispered, “Being so nice.”

“Well, let’s see,” Jack said, “You saved my life, you are one of the bravest people I have ever known but the very basic reason is,” he took her hands, “Daniel loved you and that makes you part of my family.”

Sha’re turned away before her tears fell, Jack slipped an arm around her shoulder, “Come on.”



Jack led the emotional young woman through the corridors, shielding her from the curious stares of people who’d heard about her return from the dead. She didn’t need people asking her dumb questions, especially just now.

“Sha’re?” an amazed voice filled the corridor.

Jack saw the unmistakable figure of Louis Ferretti heading towards them.

“I heard about you being here,” Ferretti said, smiling at her, “But I didn’t believe it.”

“Hello, Major,” Sha’re greeted him very softly.

“Hey, what’s this Major,” he scoffed, “At least call me Ferretti,” he gave her a grin, “It’s good to see you again, Sha’re.”

“And you,” she smiled, relaxing in his presence.

“I’ll see you again once you’re settled,” he smiled at her, “And I’ll tell you stories about the Colonel here that will have you seeing him in a whole new light.”

“I would like that,” Sha’re replied, she’d always liked Ferretti though she had not known him very well.

“See you guys later,” he called as he headed away.

“Are you okay?” Jack asked her.

“Yes,” Sha’re replied, “Maj…Ferretti was always a nice person. D…D…My husband always liked him.”

“Let’s get you to the room,” Jack started her moving again, “You look like you need some sleep.”

*********************************************

Sha’re took a sip of her milky, sweet tea as she sat looking over the artefact SG6 had brought back from their recent mission. Because of her experience with the Goa’uld, as well as her interest in history and languages given to her by her husband, Sha’re had joined the translating staff.

Jack had actively supported her working with them rather than her simply returning to Abydos. He missed Daniel almost as much as she did and her presence eased the pain of his friend’s departure a little. He was also exceedingly protective of her so had insisted she stay with him for the moment. Unsure as to how this would be perceived, it was only after he’d shown her the spare room she would be staying in which was practically a separate apartment that she’d agreed.

She liked being around Jack; he was her protector, comforter and big brother all rolled into one. He made her get out of her office and forced her to eat in the commissary with him and the other members of SG1. Including Jonas.

She winced slightly as she remembered the way she had acted the day she found out about Jonas’ involvement in her husband’s accident.

The names she had called him made her ashamed, though thankfully before she could attack Jonas, Jack was there; his arms wrapping around her, holding her tightly against him, absorbing her tears as she cried. She’d then called Jack several names for allowing Jonas on SG1.

Jack took everything she threw at him calmly, though the fact she was swearing at him in Abydonian meant he understood very little of it and when she was finally finished he explained everything including why Jonas was there, he wanted to make up for not being able to do what Daniel had done for his planet.

The next day she apologised to the Kelownian.

“You have every right to be angry with me,” Jonas told her, “But to be honest I didn’t understand much of what you said to me, it was a little too fast.”

“I understand how frightening it must have been for you,” Sha’re said softly, “You did the right thing in the end though.”

“Sha’re,” Jonas smiled hopefully, “We have become friends and I hope you still consider me that.”

Sha’re felt pain slice through her heart at his words, she’d lost the one person she loved more than life and did not want to lose any more people she cared for, “Of course, Jonas. It may take me some time though.”

Over the months that followed, she worked and spent time with SG1, Janet and Cassie her life became almost normal, strangely normal. The only thing missing was the man she loved.



Sha’re sneezed and groaned as she lay back against the cool pillow.

“Hey, sweetheart,” Jack said, placing his hand on her forehead, “Wow, you could cook dinner on your face.”

“Thank you, Jack,” she rasped, her throat sore and dry.

Jack smiled, handing her a glass of water; “Janet said you’ll be stuck in here for the next few days.”

“I would prefer to be in my own bed,” she sighed, taking a drink allowing the liquid to soothe her throat.

“I know, sweetheart but Janet would rather you be here so she can keep an eye on you,” Jack reminded her.

“Are you going home?” Sha’re asked him.

“Yeah,” Jack grinned, “You might not be able to but I am getting out of here.”

“Before you go, would you bring me my picture?” she asked softly.

“Of course I will,” Jack gently kissed her forehead.

He watched her eyes close to get some well-needed sleep; before he left, he brought her the picture of Daniel that sat in her office, identical to the one that sat next to her bed.



Jack listened to Daniel’s plea, staring at him in confusion.

“What?” Daniel asked at the look he was getting.

“You don’t know do you?” Jack deduced.

“Know what?” Daniel asked.

“Sha’re’s here,” Jack said.

Amazement covered Daniel’s face, “She’s alive?”

“You didn’t know, did you?”

“How did I not know this?” Daniel whispered, “How?”

Jack shrugged, “Before you head to wherever the hell you go, she’s in the infirmary.”

“Why?” panic covered Daniel’s face.

“She’s just got the flu and Janet’s keeping her there,” Jack assured him.

Daniel stared at his friend again, “She’s alive?”

“Daniel, go and see her,” Jack said, “But whatever you do don’t let her see you. That’s not fair on her.”

The elevator started again and Jack turned to see the numbers move again before turning back to find Daniel gone.



Sha’re sighed as she turned over, trying to get comfortable again. Janet had moved her to a different bed, as the other one had been soaked from her fever. The cool clean sheets made her feel comfortable and as she looked to her side, she saw the picture of her husband she always kept by her bed. It had been taken in a rare moment when he was smiling and Sha’re loved it. Turning over to get a drink, she started; standing beside her was a familiar man.

“Dan’iel?” she whispered.

“You’re really here,” Daniel breathed in amazement looking down on her.

“Are you here?” she asked, reaching out to touch him.

Daniel frowned as her hand moved through him; “I’m energy now.”

“Then you are not real,” Sha’re felt a tear slip along her cheek.

“I am,” Daniel leaned over her, “I promise I am. Oh Sha’re, my angel.”

“I miss you so much,” Sha’re told him.

“I miss you too,” Daniel moved to touch her, stopping just short; he looked around and managed to move the curtain around her bed without anyone noticing, he turned back to her, “Close your eyes.”

Sha’re did as he said, gasping as his essence touched hers. Every part of her was infused by his love, when she opened her eyes again he was gone.



“Sha’re,” Jack whispered as he came to see her.

“I am awake, Jack,” she gave him a wan smile.

“We’re going to Abydos,” Jack got straight to the point, “Apparently there’s some danger heading there and we’re going to stop it.”

“When did they call?” she asked but at his expression she knew the truth, “Dan’iel told you.”

Jack hesitated before nodding.

“He said nothing when he was here,” Sha’re whispered.

Jack frowned, “He let you see him?”

“Why is that so bad?” Sha’re asked angrily, “We were together.”

“Just for a few seconds though,” Jack replied, taking her hand, “I didn’t want him to upset you. I know how hard it is to know he’s there and then he’s gone.”

Sha’re’s eyes hardened, “You have seen him before.”

“Before you came here,” Jack told her, “I didn’t want to upset you.”

“To know he is watching over us? Why would you think that would upset me?”

Jack gently touched her cheek, “Because it upsets me.”

“I wish I could come with you to Abydos,” Sha’re quickly changed the subject.

“You’d have a hard time convincing the doc,” Jack grinned.

“Tell my Father and Skaara I love them,” Sha’re ordered him, “And I shall come home to visit soon.”

“I promise,” Jack gave her a grin.

“And be careful.”



Sha’re could see Janet was surprised by how quickly she had shaken off the flu, Sha’re knew however her Daniel had been the one to do that for her but didn’t say a word about it. It had been so long since SG1 had left for Abydos and she was worried for not only them but also the people she loved on her home planet.

“They’ll be back soon,” Janet assured her, “If you want, you can go rest in one of the VIP rooms.”

“Thank you, Janet,” Sha’re gave a tired smile as she left the infirmary, the picture of her husband clasped tightly in her hand.

Arriving at the room Janet had put aside for her, Sha’re lay back on the bed and thought of her love.

‘My angel’ he had called her. She remembered the first time he’d called her that, it was in their home after they’d made love for the first time. Sha’re sighed, the only thing that made her sure that the few moments he had spent with her had been real was the fact that Jack had seen him also. She was still tingling slightly from whatever it was he had done to her, where he allowed her to feel his love for her.

“I love you too, Dan’iel,” Sha’re whispered, “And I wish you were here.”



Sha’re could feel someone in the room with her, looking up she saw the figure starting to leave.

“Jack?” she called, “What happened?”

Jack turned back to her the pain in his eyes making her want to cry, “We did what we could and we found the Eye.”

“What happened then?”

Jack dropped his eyes, “Anubis was ready to destroy Abydos, unless we gave him the Eye. Daniel said that if we gave Anubis the Eye, he had promised not to destroy the planet but Anubis lied and well…”

“Dan’iel stopped him?” Sha’re whispered hopefully.

Jack shook his head, “I’m sorry, Sha’re but Daniel didn’t. Abydos is gone.”

“Gone?” she gasped, clutching his hands, “But Skaara, my Father…”

Jack sat beside her, wrapping his arms around her tightly, “Oma ascended them like Daniel.”

Sha’re licked her lips nervously, “What about Dan’iel?”

“You know if he could have saved Abydos, he would have, don’t you?” Jack whispered.

“Yes,” Sha’re stared at him with tear filled eyes, “Then he is gone also. For good this time.”

“It looks that way,” Jack sighed; enfolding her in his arms again as she started to cry, her heart breaking all over again.