Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

The Wanderer

by Kimberly
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Wanderer

The Wanderer

by Kimberly

Summary: It has been almost two years since Sam died. The SGC has survived and so have her friends.
Category: Angst
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-02-16

The Wanderer

"Unscheduled Off World Activation!" The alarms blared and Jack entered the control room. Teal'c and Daniel crept in behind him, out of curiosity.

"Are we receiving an IDC?" Jack looked over Walter's shoulder.

"No, sir." They all watched the iris and waited. They heard the noise as the computer registered an object trying to come through the gate.

"Is it a person?" Daniel stepped forward.

"The computer didn't register enough mass to make up a person." A second sound occurred as Walter spoke. It was followed by a third noise. They continued to wait.

After a pause, a rapid series of small sounds hit. The same drawn out series of small noises repeated twice more. There was a pause followed by three more short distinct impact noises. The wormhole disengaged.

"That was strange. Any ideas, Daniel?" Jack looked back at Daniel. Daniel looked perplexed.

"Can you bring those impact events up on the screen?" Walter hit a few keys and the impact events were shown on the screen.

"One, two, three, a pause, then a series of three impacts that look like lots of small objects impacting in succession, then three more of the one object impacts. Three, three, three. It doesn't mean anything to me." Daniel shook his head as he looked over Walter's shoulder.

"It does to me, sir." Jack, Teal'c and Daniel looked at Walter.

"Well?" Jack waved his arm, asking Walter to continue.

"An SOS, sir. Three short distinct impacts, three long drawn out impacts, and three short distinct impacts." Jack's eyes widened and he nodded.

"You're brilliant, Walter. Get a MALP sent to the coordinates from which those objects were sent." Jack stared at the iris. It only took ten minutes to get the MALP ready. The coordinates were not identified by the computer as a known planet. Walter dialed the coordinates and they watched the MALP on the screen as it approached it's destination. The control room was packed with curious observers.

"MALP will reach it's destination in three...two...one." There was a collective intake of breath as all eyes moved the computer screen. Walter panned the camera and stopped on two human looking men standing near the MALP, surrounded by brown dust and debris.

"Hello, Tauri. I am Kalen and this is Tern. We have called to ask for your help. Our moon was hit by a space rock. The moon is now moving towards our planet. We have been told the Tauri are kind people who would help us find a new home. Is your reputation true?" Jack was gaping at the screen like a fish. Jack looked back at Daniel. Daniel stepped up to the microphone.

"We have helped others before and we seek to be friends with other worlds. How did you hear about us?" Jack nodded his approval of Daniel's words.

"The wanderer told us of you."

"Does the wanderer have a name?" Daniel looked perplexed and shrugged his shoulders at Jack.

"Jan."

"From where did she travel?"

"She wanders between villages. She lives nowhere and everywhere." Daniel glanced at Jack looking for direction.

"Tell 'em we'll send through a team to assess their situation." Daniel nodded and told the aliens to wait and they would send a team through in a few hours. Daniel begged Jack to go along but Jack turned him down. SG-13 and a team of Marines were sent through two hours after the initial message was received. SG-13 was a science team directed to determine if the moon was a potential harm to this planet. The Marines were going along to help with an evacuation if necessary. Daniel was in charge of getting the SGC ready for the potential evacuees.

--**--"Sir, it's SG-13 on audio and video." Walter looked up at Jack as he entered the control room. Jack waved, indicating Walter should put them on screen.

"General O'Neill, Colonel Kilpatrick reporting."

"Spit it out Colonel, are we going to have guests."

"It looks that way, sir. This wanderer did her homework. Her calculations are almost dead on. The moon will impact with this planet in seven to eight days. The tidal effects are already quite evident."

"How many people are we talking about?"

"The village that contacted us has almost 200 souls, all requesting evacuation. Runners have been sent to two neighboring villages. The runners should report in two days about those villages. If they choose to leave it would be roughly another 300 souls."

"Is that all?"

"The wanderer left as soon as we answered the call to go to a village that is four days from here by foot. She was riding one of the last horses they had available. The animals aren't too keen on wearing masks and the air is hard to breath without them." Jack winced at the thought of the animals suffocating.

"Do they expect her to make it back before the impact?"

"They seem to believe she can work miracles since she contacted us."

"Ok, well get these people moving. We've been making preparations and now that we have numbers we'll be even better prepared."

"I'm going to send Fredricks through with the first village of evacuees. We'll wait here for the other villages."

"I'm ordering you to abandon that planet before night on the sixth day. I will not risk your lives waiting on people that may not show."

"Understood General, Kilpatrick out." Jack told Daniel how many evacuees were expected. He also alerted the medical teams to the breathing conditions on the planet. Once he thought all the bases were covered, he retired to his room to get some sleep before they began arriving. Jack only got five hours of sleep before the alarms announcing the new guests awoke him.

--**--

"Report, Doctor." Jack looked around the briefing room table. Daniel looked tired and the doctor was exhausted.

"Eight out of every ten refugees has some level of pneumonia, one in ten is life threatening. They were breathing in a ton of debris. I am going through all of my antibiotic reserve. I would appreciate your help getting some more and soon."

"That can be arranged."

"Thank-you, sir. How many more people are we expecting?"

"If the other three villages are similar to the one we already evacuated then you can expect another four to five hundred people." The doctor nodded and made a note on his pad.

"I want you people to get some rest before the next wave. Dismissed." Jack watched his people drag out of the room.

--**--

"Colonel Kilpatrick calling SGC."

"General O'Neill here. Whatcha got?"

"The runner that went east found devastation from water damage. Captain Purdie says it was probably due to tidal waves caused by the moons gravitational forces. The runner that went west brought back the village and they are prepared for evacuation. There are over one hundred people in the group awaiting your orders sir."

"Give us half an hour to prepare and then send them through. Any sign of that wanderer?"

"No, sir."

"Give her a few more days but get your butts back here if she doesn't show."

"Yes, sir. Kilpatrick out." The wormhole closed. Jack notified the medical teams and commissary so the refugees could be fed and cared for as they arrived.

Two days passed and the refugees were settled. They had only lost three elderly people and one infant to pneumonia. Their deaths were difficult on the other villagers but they appreciated the rescue and the care they were receiving.

--**--

"Pack it up, guys." The Marines rechecked that everything was securely packed and put on their packs.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Hoss?"

"I see movement on the horizon, sir." Kilpatrick took to binoculars from Hoss and looked out where the younger man was pointing. He could see what appeared to be a wagon but he wasn't sure if it was moving. He continued to watch and saw a figure in front of the wagon fall. The figure lay still for a moment and then pulled back up.

"Hoss, you and Pat stay here. If the General calls, tell him we'll be coming through as soon as we check this out. We'll stay in radio contact."

"Yes, sir." Kilpatrick and most of his team moved out towards the object on the horizon. He could tell the wagon, and the person pulling, was still moving in their direction. Twenty minutes into the trip, Kilpatrick stopped his men and used the binoculars to look again. The figure was slumped over the front of the wagon and all movement had stopped. He let the men drink for a minute and got them moving again. Although he didn't want to push his men too hard, he wanted to get back to the gate as soon as possible. It took them another half hour to reach the wagon.

A figure was slumped over the wagon's pull bar where horses should be tied. The back of the wagon was covered.

"What do you think was so important this poor bastard killed himself trying to get it here?" Kilpatrick looked at Bill as he spoke and shook his head. Kilpatrick moved to the person and picked up their face.

"You mean her. She's still alive but barely." The other men looked shocked. Bill moved to the back of the wagon and picked up the tarp.

"Oh my God, Sir!" Kilpatrick walked to the back and looked over Bill's shoulder. The wagon was filled with young children. They were filthy, hungry, and thirsty but alive.

"You three take turns pulling this thing. I'll carry her." The well-trained Marines quickly rallied and got the cart moving. Kilpatrick radioed the two men left at the gate.

"Hoss, come in."

"Here, sir. Whatcha find?"

"Kids, if General O'Neill asks tell him we're bringing a wagon load of kids and their almost dead savior back to the SGC. We'll be to your position within an hour." The other men heard his comment and repressed their groans. It had taken them that long to get here wearing only their packs. Pulling a wagon was going to slow them down.

"Yes, sir. Hoss out." Kilpatrick knew his men ha heard his orders.

"I don't know if she'll make it that long guys. The sooner we get them back the more of them we save. If she could pull this thing by herself, we can get it back to the gate in an hour." There was a round of hurrahs and they sped up their pace. The pull of the moon was working in their favor, making them a little lighter. They made it to the gate within the hour, barely, and dialed home. Before stepping through, Kilpatrick looked up at the approaching moon. It was close but it wasn't burning in the atmosphere yet, the SG-13 scientists had vividly described what they expected this to be like when it happened. Kilpatrick set the MALP to record and project the video images and other data to Earth. He knew the geeks would be dialing the gate to get information until they couldn't link with this world.

Doctors and medics were already shifting through the children when Kilpatrtick stepped through to the SGC.

"Good work, Colonel." General O'Neill watched the Colonel laid a woman on a stretcher. She was wearing a long cloak over her filthy shirt and pants. She had a rag tied over her face, just like the children they were unloading from the wagon. The doctor whisked the woman off to the infirmary.

"Thank-you, sir."

"Debriefing in one hour. Get your showers and save the infirmary visit for later, the docs have their hands full for the time being."

"Yes, sir."

--**--

Daniel told Jack the Marines were taking turns hanging out around the infirmary waiting for word about the savior as they had nicknamed her. It had been three days since they brought her in and he'd been told her condition hadn't improved. She had a terrible case of pneumonia and was still on a ventilator. The doctors weren't giving her much hope of surviving. Jack requested a daily update on the progress of the refugees and it was meeting time again.

All of the military personnel stood as he entered the room. Most of him hated the gesture but another small part screamed, 'You're da man!' He waved them down and sat at the head of the table.

"Daniel, have you found them a home?"

"The land of light is willing to give them refuge. There are a few planets we know of that would fit their needs but without livestock and homes, it would be a tough beginning."

"We should let them decide. Have you figured out who leads them?"

"Yeah, each village had a core group of leaders and I've brought them together and talked to them. They don't want to decide until they consult with the wanderer."

"You mean the savior woman?" All heads turn to Kilpatrick as he spoke.

"Yeah, I assume she's the one and the same." Daniel grinned. "It seems they trust her judgment because she has helped them all in the past and brought them to us. They know she's sick because she brought the children to safety and they want to wait for her advice." Jack sighed as he listened to Daniel.

"What's her condition, Doc?"

"She's still in serious condition. All of the others still confined to the hospital should recover but I'm concerned about her. Not only is her pneumonia severe, but her blood work is also unusual. I've kept her in our infirmary instead of sending her the academy hospital with the others because of her blood work."

"Explain what you mean by unusual."

"As you know I've only been here for six months. When I got the results, I was shocked. Based on a suggestion from one of the nurses I went back into the old files."

"And..." Jack didn't like being toyed with, especially when everyone was tired.

"She has a protein in her system that is identical to the protein left behind in Colonel Carter when the Tok'ra Jolinar died within her." The room went deathly silent. The news was as shocking as hearing Carter's name.

"Put her in an isolation room." Jack's jaw tightened.

"But I don't think there is any chance of her being contagious and in her current state she doesn't pose a danger to..."

"I said she goes into an isolation room. Are you saying you won't follow my orders?"

"Jack?" Daniel watched Jack leaning forward on the table towards the doctor.

"Shut up Daniel." Jack turned back to the doctor. "Is there any naquadah in her system?"

"No, sir. We checked three times and it doesn't make sense. If a symbiote died with her there should be traces of naquadah."

"Check a fourth time and get me some answers. Daniel you find out more about this woman. Ask every refugee until you know more about her then her own mother. I also want to know how she knew about SOS's. Dismissed." Jack pushed up from the table and his chair slid back to the wall. He stalked out of the room not waiting for the others to stand out of respect. Daniel followed him.

"What was that all about?" Jack glared at Daniel and sat in his chair behind his desk.

"I don't know." Jack sighed and picked up a pencil.

"Was it hearing her name or thinking this woman might have once been a Goa'uld?"

"I said I don't know!" The pencil snapped. "Find out everything you can." Daniel nodded and left Jack to his contemplation.

--**--

Daniel spent the next two days talking to refugees. He found out the woman called the wanderer had appeared one day over a year earlier. She had neither possessions nor family ties. Many of the people had offered her shelter during this time and she often took the offer but she always worked to pay her debt. Many of the men had offered her a permanent home but she had refused them all. They all loved her stories and said she helped them find new ways to water their crops and heal their animals.

They referred to her as the wanderer because she never stayed in one place long, even during the cold season. She spent time in all four villages traveling by foot between them. A few people told him she had introduced herself as Jan but the title wanderer caught on soon after they met her and her name was quickly abandoned. Their language wasn't native to her but she had quickly learned it. Stories were told about the wondrous items she carried in her pack but none had ever actually seen any of these wonders.

In the end, Daniel determined the wanderer was half myth and half legend. He didn't know where she'd been before she entered the lives of these refugees and he didn't know why she had this protein in her system. He was scheduled to give a report to Jack in the morning and he knew he hadn't learned anything useful. Out of curiosity, he decided to go and look at the object of his research.

Although she was in an isolation room Daniel was allowed to visit, as long as the guards stayed to watch. He surveyed the equipment in the room. The ventilator was whooshing as it pumped air into her lungs. The i.v. machine beeped in a different rhythm then the heart monitor. There were extra bags hanging on the i.v. pole. He assumed those held the high-powered antibiotics being used to fight her pneumonia.

He stepped closer. Her dirty blond hair was partially concealing her face. The tube from her mouth was secured by tape around her mouth. He moved her hair and looked down at her. She seemed familiar. He assumed it must be because the refugees had spent so much time telling him about her beauty.

"Daniel Jackson, I was told I could find you here." Daniel looked back at Teal'c.

"Yeah, after listening to people talk about her for two days I decided I needed to meet her." Teal'c stepped up behind Daniel as he spoke.

"From what I have been told she saved a large number of children from certain death. Does this not make her a hero?"

"I think so and so do the refugees."

"Then why is she in here?"

"There's a protein in her blood that suggests she once hosted a Goa'uld."

"If she did, it must be gone because a Goa'uld would never sacrifice itself to save anyone." Teal'c leaned closer to the woman and his eyes grew large. "Daniel Jackson, do you not see the resemblance?"

"She looks familiar but I don't see any..." Daniel stopped short as his brain suddenly kicked into high gear. Daniel raced over to the phone.

"Jack! Jack, you have to come to the iso-room, now!" Daniel hung up the phone and went back to the bed beside Teal'c. "It's really her isn't it?"

"She does indeed appear to be her, but older."

"Yeah, older would explain it. How could she be older? Older doesn't make sense. How much older do you think?" Daniel was babbling and Teal'c was ignoring him. Teal'c reached out and picked up her hand.

"I do not know. Aging happens quickly among the Tau'ri and I am not a good judge."

"Right, quickly." Daniel nodded and continued to stare as Jack raced into the room. His eyes roamed around the room, making sure everyone was all right.

"What the hell's so damn important?" Jack stepped towards the bed. Teal'c and Daniel kept their eyes on the occupant as Jack stepped forward. He looked at both men before looking at the woman lying below him. As he stared at her face, he stepped back.

"What the hell?"

"It's her Jack" Daniel looked up at him.

"There's no way in hell she can be...I mean she died...she... she looks different. That's not her." Jack turned around and walked out of the room without uttering another word. Daniel looked at Teal'c and back at the woman lying on the bed.

"He is not ready to accept her yet." Teal'c glanced at the door through which Jack had left.

"He's not alone." Daniel walked around the bed and picked up her other hand.

--**--

Daniel submitted his report to Jack. Jack thanked him but refused to discuss anything else. He ordered the doctor to do DNA tests against old samples of Colonel Carter's blood. He also told the doctor he wanted that imposter awake as soon as possible. The DNA testing took two days. It came back positive. Jack was still in denial; he insisted it had to be a trick.

Daniel couldn't understand his resistance to her existence. He didn't understand that Jack knew the real Sam Carter would have come back to him long ago instead of hanging out on some sandy dying planet.

Daniel and Teal'c took turns sitting with her. Daniel was there the first time her eyes fluttered open. They closed again so quickly her brain didn't have time to register the face. The doctors decided she was breathing well enough to take her off the ventilator before she woke the second time.

Teal'c saw her eyes slowly inch open.

"The doctor said you should conserve your energy by not speaking. He also said you should sip cool water through a straw." Teal'c held up a small Styrofoam cup and pointed the straw towards her mouth. She took a drink and then another as he continued to hold the straw by her mouth.

"Teal'c?"

"Indeed. I am honored that you remember me still. Now you should continue to rest. You have been very ill."

"The kids?"

"The children in the cart you pulled made it here unharmed. You are responsible for saving a great many lives. I am sure once you are well there will be many celebrations in your honor." Her eyes closed as he spoke and she fell asleep again.

She was stronger the next time she woke. Daniel was sitting to her right, holding her hand. He offered her water when she woke, just like Teal'c. Daniel glanced up into the observation room looking down over the isolation room. Her eyes followed his. Teal'c and a man she'd never seen before sat up there watching her. She assumed, based on the lab coat being worn by the new guy, that he must be a doctor. She looked around the observation room for Jack. She couldn't see him but she felt him, she knew he was there. There was one dark corner, a perfect place to stand and remain hidden from sight. She stared into the corner.

"It's good to see you again, Sam." Daniel touched her arm after he put down the cup.

"Jan." She moved her eyes to look at Daniel. "I've been going by Jan."

"Short for Janet?" Daniel's brow creased.

"In honor of Janet."

"So you do remember?"

"Yes, Daniel. I remember. I have all of her memories up until she placed a copy of her consciousness into the chip Thor gave her." She looked back up to the observation room, into that dark corner.

"Thor did this?"

"Yes." She looked back at Daniel. "I'm her clone." Daniel sucked in a breath and looked up towards Teal'c. She looked away from Daniel, hiding most of her face from the observation room. "I'm sorry I had to come back before you were ready."

"That's...ok. How and why did this happen?" Daniel's confusion was apparent.

"I'm tired. Can we discuss this later." Daniel glanced up again.

"Sure, later. Rest." She pulled her hand away and rolled over so her back was towards him and that dark corner up above her.

Daniel was back the next time she woke. He motioned for an airman and food arrived while Daniel was helping her sit up.

Sam uncovered the tray and smiled. There was a tuna sandwich, a salad, an apple, a glass of milk, and a cup of blue jello with whipped cream. Sam picked up the jello first. Daniel grinned as she took her first bite and closed her eyes. He heard a slight hum as she ate.

"Missed it huh?"

"Oh, yeah. I had to eat mealworms and termites sometimes. They don't compare to jello, especially blue jello."

"They're considered delicacies in many countries on Earth."

"Probably because they never tried blue jello." Sam took another bite and smiled. "This is good. I was really hungry."

"You do look thin." Sam blushed slightly.

"Traipsing between villages didn't leave me much time for digging a garden and it was hard work." Daniel sat back and watched her eat. She was older but still beautiful. He realized as she ate that this is what she would have looked like if she had lived.

"So why that planet?"

"Hmm?" Sam looked up from the food. She had been so engrossed with eating that she'd temporarily forgotten Daniel.

"Why that planet?"

"I'm not sure. Thor said he had to find me a safe planet until I could come back to Earth. Mala was a protected planet. I guess that's why the Asgard didn't show up to save us from the moon's impact, it was a natural disaster." Sam's face showed her disgust with that decision. "I thought about dialing other planets, like the alpha site, but the only one I was sure was secure was Earth. I knew you'd help."

"Were you planning you come here also?"

"Of course I was. I don't have a death wish, Daniel."

"That's not how I remember it." Sam's eyes widened and Daniel saw moisture appear in the corner of her right eye. She turned her head.

"That was different."

"Enough!" Jack was seething as he looked down from the observation booth. Daniel wasn't supposed to hurt her, just find out how she ended up out there. Teal'c and the doctor repeatedly shifted their glances from her to Jack. Daniel nodded.

"Why did Thor create you?"

"He discussed it with her before she died. He said he would research a way to create a clone that wouldn't be susceptible to the virus that claimed her life. She agreed to let him research the possibility but said if she wasn't alive once he figured out how to do it then only Jack was allowed to decide if I could be created." Sam glanced back up to the observation booth but he was hidden from her view again.

"I awoke four months after her death in a lab filled with Asgard. My last memory was of her touching what I called the conscious storage chip. Jack was in the room with her at the time and Cassie was asking how much longer would it be until we could come out and play."

"That was the day you killed yourself."

"That was the day she ended her life. Thor brought me back to Earth about five months after she died. I waited on board his ship while he went down to arrange for my arrival. When he returned he said Jack didn't think it was safe for me to return. Thor provided me with sanctuary on a safe world. I was supposed to wait there until you came for me." Daniel sat completely still and watched the sadness cross her face.

"We didn't know."

"Jack had to know."

"He didn't."

"I wouldn't exist if he hadn't given Thor her consciousness."

"Why do you always say her? You're her, right?" Daniel reached out to her and touched her face before she pulled away.

"She was Colonel Samantha Carter, theoretical astrophysicist and leader of the SG-1, the SGC's premiere off-world team. She had close friends who would have given their lives to save her. She loved them and they loved her." Her eyes flicked back up to the dark corner in the observation room. "I'm Jan, the wanderer. On Mala I had no one and no one claimed me. I made my way by asking little and receiving only what I earned. I am not her." Sam saw the light from the hall enter the observation room as Jack left. Teal'c and the doctor turned their heads in his direction as he left.

The doctor came down and kicked Daniel out of the room. He checked the readings on the machines and took another blood sample.

"How much longer will I need to be in here?" Sam looked at the unfamiliar physician.

"From my perspective a couple more days. I don't know what the General has planned." Sam's lips tightened and twisted into a grimace.

"Right." Sam settled back down and went to sleep without noticing the man back in the shadows in the observation room.

Teal'c and Daniel returned early the next morning bringing her breakfast. Teal'c placed the tray in front of her while Daniel sat down a cup of coffee and a small vase with a rose.

"It's beautiful and the food smells wonderful." She smiled at them and they smiled back. Daniel took the top off the tray.

"Here we have waffles with cherry topping, crisp bacon, eggs scrambled hard, and coffee from my pot, not the commissary." Sam's smile became radiant and she sat herself up.

"You seem to be more capable of moving this morning." Teal'c's eyebrow raised as he watched her sit up.

"I'm feeling better. Maybe it's the good food." Sam dived into the breakfast. Teal'c and Daniel were satisfied by the pleasure she showed while she ate. There wasn't enough left on her plate to interest a mouse when she finished.

"That was fantastic. Thank-you!" Sam leaned back against the bed that Daniel had raised for her and sipped at the delicious coffee.

"We're going to talk to Jack this morning about getting you back on SG-1." The look of shock on her face surprised them both. She looked down at her hands and then back up at them as she shook her head no.

"I can't stay here. I'll go wherever you relocate the others or I can ask Thor to find me a new home."

"This is where you belong Sam."

"It's Jan, and I don't belong here. Don't you understand what would happen to me when word got out that I was here? All kinds of nuts would be coming after me to use me as their personal test subject. It's obvious that I'm not wanted here and it's too dangerous. I have to go, the sooner the better."

"You can't really want to leave."

"I told you before I don't want to be a lab rat." Sam swung her legs over the edge of the bed and faced Daniel. "I also don't want to hurt anyone. When Thor woke me up, I thought it was because all of you were ready to have me back. That's obviously not the case. I can't hurt him like this." The last sentence was a whisper. Daniel reached out and pulled her close.

"I've missed you and I want you back. We've all been hurting without you." They hugged and Teal'c joined them.

"I concur. We all need you back." They were interrupted by an airman entering the room.

"Ma'am, The General asked me to bring you these magazines."

"You can put them on the table." The airman looked at the mess on the table and paused. Sam cleared a space beside her breakfast tray. The airman lay down the magazines and backed towards the door.

"I'll be out front if you need anything, Ma'am."

"Thank-you, Sergeant." Daniel grinned. Sam looked through the magazines. They were back dated copies of the journals she had requested the SGC library purchase. The last two years of research in quantum physics and astrophysics lay before her.

"He's missed you too." Sam looked up at Daniel and grinned. "Something changed between you two before you died, didn't it?" Sam began twiddling her fingers.

"I'd rather not discuss it."

"That's the same answer he always give when I ask him." Daniel reached out to her face and stroked her cheek. "I should let you get some rest." Daniel and Teal'c moved towards the door.

"Later."

"Right." They all smiled as Daniel closed the door.

It was late in the afternoon when he arrived. She felt his finger as he traced figure eights on the back of her hand. It was a small gesture but she was glad he was touching her. She could tell, without opening her eyes, that he was standing because he blocked the overhead light.

"Hey." She opened her eyes and watched his schooled reaction.

"Hey, long time no see."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about turning up like this. I never intended to hurt you."

"I know that. I'll take it up with the little guy next time I see him."

"He thought he had your permission." Her brow creased in concern. She didn't like the thought of Jack being angry with Thor.

"I don't how he figured I had agreed to this."

"Did you give him the box she gave you?"

"Yes, you asked me to."

"That was giving him permission to create me."

"How was I supposed to know that?" Jack's voice raised and he gripped her hand tighter.

"It was all in the letter she left you." Jack's anger abated and his eyes fell. "You never read it, did you?" Jack shook his head no.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly