Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Sticks and Stones

by Kimberly
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sticks and Stones Chapter 3

Sticks and Stones Chapter 3

by Kimberly

Summary: SG-1 needs to be rescued. Will Sam make it?
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-08-10

Sticks and Stones Chapter 3:

"AS I TOLD YOU BEFORE YOU ARE ON OUR WORLD!" The man on stage was breathing rapidly and trying to regain control of his temper. "Bring the reader."

Several women left the room and returned later with a young girl. The girl looked terrified.

"Read her. Tell us to whom she belong." The girl never looked at any one in the room. She simply nodded her head yes and moved towards Sam.

The girl studied Sam for a moment before reaching out to touch her face. Sam seemed transfixed by the girl. Neither of them moved for several moments. Daniel and Teal'c were both about to push the girl away when she let go and took a step back. Sam looked confused but unharmed.

"Well?" The man standing on the stage was looking at the girl. She turned towards him but she never lifted her face.

"He heart belong to her leader but she has given her body to another, neither of them is with her today." The girl bowed and moved out the door.

"Take her to the circle." The man looked at Sam with disgust.

"What are you going to do?" Daniel and Teal'c moved to block the guards from Sam as Daniel screamed to the man looking down at them. One of the guards grabbed the free end of Sam's rope off the ground. Six other guards moved towards Daniel and Teal'c.

"She will be stoned to death for betraying her betrothed." Teal'c began shoving his body into the guards. He took down two before three others pinned him. Daniel ran towards the guard closest to him but was surprise as he was tackled from behind. He and Teal'c were both having trouble fighting because their hands were tied and they were weaponless.

A shot rang out in the hall. All of the guards and SG-1 stopped moving. The man on stage pointed his weapon at Sam.

"If you all prefer to die here and now it would be my pleasure." Daniel and Teal'c looked at Sam and she used her eyes to tell them to back off.

They were all dragged outside. Sam was tied to a pole in the center of a garden in front of the main building. Daniel and Teal'c were tied to pillars on the porch of the building. From this spot, they had an unobstructed view of Sam. The women knelt in a large circle surrounding the garden. They began to hum and rock back and forth. If Sam's life wasn't on the line Daniel would have been intrigued. These were the first sounds he had heard any woman make, except for the reader, since they had arrived.

Teal'c watched the men pass around buckets of rocks. The rocks were piled high in the buckets and there were plenty of buckets to go around. Stoning was obviously a common occurrence for these people. The men had formed a circle between Sam and the ring of humming women. The man from the stage was the first to step into the garden.

"Our women are treasures which must be guarded and protected from evil. For those who are not well protected or who choose to give themselves to evil we are entrusted to free them from the evil. Let us not shy away from our sacred duty to protect the righteous." He turned and looked at Sam. Sam had given up faking a meek posture and looked him in the eye. She saw his face contort as she faced him. "May your Lord have mercy on your corrupted soul and may those who watch you suffer realize the price of disobedience."

"I die free!" Sam locked eyes with Teal'c and nodded. She had heard him use the phrase in many deadly situations and felt it was fitting in this case. He recognized her words as paying him an honor and bowed his head.

Her words had further incited the men around her. She watched them each pick up several stones from the buckets. Sam held herself rigid as she looked at each man. She wanted every one of them to know she was strong. She made up her mind to keep her head up, at least until she passed out.

Without any other warning, the first stone was thrown by an elderly man to Sam's right. It was a weak throw but it was followed by larger rocks thrown with greater velocity. It didn't take Sam long to realize this was going to be a quick but painful death.

Teal'c and Daniel were struggling against the ropes as the stones began to fly. Teal'c kept his eyes focused on Sam. As ridiculous as it sounded, he hoped as long as he could see her she would survive. Daniel couldn't watch so he began looking at the tree-covered hills around the town. He knew Sam was going to survive without help, soon.

Teal'c was the first to see one of the men fall dead. He had been preparing to throw a large stone when his head exploded and his body fell back. Daniel heard the echo of the shot and knew help was hidden among the trees. As another man fell, the women began to run back to the building. Most of the men were following.

"I knew others would follow and kill us!" The man from the stage grabbed Daniel and tried to use him as a shield.

"Let us go and we will not return." Daniel was making himself a dead weight. The man was having a hard time holding him up.

"You are wrong Daniel Jackson. Someone must atone for the injuries sustained by Colonel Carter." Teal'c was looking at the man holding Daniel. An old man crawled out to the porch.

"Avarin, their weapons can kill without them showing their faces. The elders have decided to let them go and ask for their forgiveness."

"What?"

"You heard me. Let them go."

"You fools! They will kill us!"

"They might kill you but we do not think they will kill all of us." The man holding Daniel turned and kicked at the old man. Two of the younger guards cut the ropes holding Teal'c and Daniel to the pillars. Teal'c elbowed Avarin in the face. Avarin released Daniel so he could grab his broken nose.

Teal'c and Daniel ran to Sam. She was unconscious. Only the ropes tying her to the pole kept her upright. Her hair was matted with blood. There were large wounds on her head and face. Many of the cuts were very deep. Teal'c picked her up and began running towards the trees. Daniel had to work hard but he kept up.

Teal'c laid Sam down in front of Jack. Jacks eyes widened with horror at the site of her. You couldn't tell by looking at her that she was a blond. She was covered in blood and there were welts and bruises on her exposed arms. Daniel looked at the men of SG-3 and then at Jack.

"Thank God you got here when you did, Jack."

"It seems to me that we're a bit late Daniel." Jack felt for Sam's pulse. It was weak and faint. Her breathing was shallow and slow. It was obvious that they were losing her. As Jack reached into his pack for a med kit Teal'c held his wrist.

"There is no time O'Neill. We must get her back to the SGC as fast as possible." Jack rarely saw fear in Teal'c's eyes but when he looked up it was there. The realization that Teal'c was also scared made Jack's stomach tighter.

"You're right. Ok, head back to the gate. Radio SG-6 and tell them we are on our way. They have to keep the gate secure."

"Yes, sir." The men of SG-3 arranged themselves into protective ring around SG-1 and Jack. Teal'c picked Sam up and they started to jog back to the gate. The pace was faster then usual but slow enough that Daniel didn't have any trouble keeping up and Jack's knees only slightly protested. As they neared the gate Jack noticed Teal'c slow and look down at Sam.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kimberly