Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Evolution: Checkmate

by Denise
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Evolution: Checkmate

Evolution: Checkmate

by Denise

Summary: Follow two people as they go from strangers to friends, and maybe more
Category: Action/Adventure, Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama
Episode Related: 303 Fair Game
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Daniel/Janet, Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-01-08

When I first started this fic, I never intended for it to just keep going and going and going...it literally took on a life of its own.

My heartfelt thanks for all those that have sent me feedback for this, and my other fic. Those little gems dropping into my inbox were fantastic little mood lifters.

And I can't think of a better way to celebrate my 300th fic, than to put this series to bed.

Evolution: Checkmate By Denise

Sam dried the last of the dishes, slipping the plate into the cupboard and shutting the door. Who woulda thought that a simple barbeque would have resulted in so much non-disposable stuff?

The leftovers had already been safely tucked into their Tupperware containers and stowed in the fridge. She knew that she and Jack would eat a little of it, probably a lunch or dinner or two before she tossed them everything out next weekend. Jack may not mind the various biology experiments growing in his refrigerator, but she it was a habit she refused to pick up.

Despite the heavy lunch, she was feeling a little hungry, so she hung up the dish towel and opened the refrigerator. Spying the leftovers of Janet's cake, she pulled it out and set it on the counter. Both Janet and Daniel were due to spend the rest of the weekend down in Trinidad so she hadn't wanted to take the cake home only to spoil. And anyway, she'd said, Sam now had a household with one man and two growing children, the cake wouldn't last long.

The cake was a concoction of cake, Jell-O and whipped cream that was light and cool and surprisingly refreshing. Saying to heck with her diet, Sam cut off a large piece and stuck the rest back into the fridge. She then poured herself a fresh diet coke and made her way into the living room, sinking down onto the couch.

Setting the cake on the coffee table, she slid off her sandals before picking the cake back up, taking a large bite. "I hope you left some for me," Jack said, joining her on the couch.

"Is Charlie situated?" she asked, holding out the plate so that he could take a bite. He picked up her fork and carved off some of the cake.

"Yep," he answered around the mouthful of cake. "He and Cassie are catching up." It never took Charlie long to move back in since Jack insisted that the boy's old room be kept ready, only the closed door signifying that it was empty.

Sam nodded, leaning forward to pick up her coke. "She misses him." Jack and Sara shared custody of Charlie, with the boy living with his mother. Fortunately, Sara seemed to be rather understanding and allowed Jack and Charlie to see other as often as a weekend a month. Sam knew that it wasn't enough for Jack but it did work out for Charlie. The boy had made new friends in Denver and liked to spend time with them.

"He misses her too," Jack said.

He leaned back against the couch cushions and yawned. "What about the wedding?" Sam asked, finally able to voice the question that had bugged her since she'd seen Sara arrive. Sam had seen him usher Sara around the edge of the house, wanting to tell her about the wedding as privately as possible. While that may have been the polite thing to do, not being able to witness Sara's reactions meant that Sam had wondered about it all afternoon. In between playing host, playing in the pool with the kids and cleaning up, Sam hadn't had the opportunity to be alone with her soon to be husband and she hadn't wanted to broach the subject in front of either their guests or the kids.

"Sara'll make sure Charlie's there, although she might be busy," he said, the unsaid meaning clear.

"Which isn't a surprise," Sam replied, taking another bite of the cake.

He shook his head. "No. It's not." Despite their divorce being relatively amicable, Sam knew of precious few ex-spouses who would attend their former mate's weddings. She actually considered it a bit of a victory that Sara had agreed that Charlie could attend with little to no convincing.

Jack reached out with his finger and swiped a bit of whipped cream off the cake, holding his hand out so that Sam could lick it off. "Have I ever told you how much I like cake?" he asked, a playful glint in his dark eyes.

"Once or twice," Sam answered, obligingly licking it off. "And we both know how much I like Jell-O."

He leaned in, one hand taking the cake from her as his lips claimed hers. She wrapped her arms around him and gently leaned back, urging him to follow. One hand crept up from her waist, his calloused fingers sliding under her shirt.

"DAD!" Charlie yelled, pounding down the stairs. Jack abruptly pulled back, fumbling a bit as his hand got caught in Sam's shirt. He scooted away, trying to put a distance between them as Sam pushed herself up, panting both with arousal and a surge of adrenaline. "Cassie won't tell me where she put my Sim City game," he complained, bounding into the living room, Cassie hot at his heels.

"It's not his game, it's mine," she said.

"You both have a copy," Jack said, surreptitiously pulling one of the throw pillows into his lap as Sam fought to keep from breaking out in laughter.

"We both HAD a copy," Cassie said. "Charlie lost his."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

"Didn't."

"Did."

"Didn't."

"Did," she insisted, both of their voices rising with each volley.

"STOP!" Jack yelled in his best `I'm the colonel, don't mess with me', voice.

"Didn't you each write your name on your games?" Sam asked. It hadn't taken them long to realize that with two kids, and two gaming systems, the only way to prevent squabbles was to have enough of everything to go around. Even if `everything' was two of each game title.

"It is," Cassie said, her hand shooting out, holding the game in question. Sam took it and held it up to Charlie.

"This is hers," she pronounced.

"You let Jeff Eisen borrow yours," Cassie said, her tone slightly mocking.

"And why didn't you say something earlier, young lady?" Jack asked.

"Papa Jack?" Cassie asked while Charlie gloated a bit.

"This whole argument could have been avoided had you just told Charlie where his game was in the first place," Jack said. Charlie's grin widened as Cassie's face fell. "And you, young man. What have I told you about loaning out your games?" he asked. Charlie stared for a few seconds. "Well?"

"That I can't," he answered in a small voice.

"Got it in one," Jack said, reaching out and taking the cartridge from Sam. "What do you think we should do with them?" he asked. He'd been doing this more and more lately, involving her in how to raise the children, asking her opinion and, slowly but surely, getting both kids used to the fact that Sam was going to be their parent.

Sam shrugged, deliberately drawing out her answer. "Well, I think if they can't play nice, then they don't need to play at all," she said. "Maybe the game cube just needs to be put away for the rest of the day."

Both kids' faces fell. It was obvious that they'd been expecting such an answer, but had been hoping against it. "Sounds good to me," Jack said, sliding the came cartridge onto the coffee table. "Game's off limits until tomorrow afternoon." He made a show of looking at his watch. "I think it's about time for you guys to get your baths anyway."

"But dad--"

"No buts," Jack said, cutting off Charlie's whining. "Both of you, upstairs and get your baths. If you get them fast enough, you can come back down and we'll watch a movie or something before you go to bed," he said.

"Ok," they both agreed and retreated upstairs.

As soon as they were gone, Sam groaned, burying her face in the cushions. "Oh god."

Jack laughed. "You are so cute when you blush," he said, reaching over and laying his arm across her back. She leaned against him, burying her face into his neck.

"I can't believe they almost caught us," she muttered, starting to laugh.

"The joys of being a parent," he said, chuckling along with her. "Their timing is worse than Daniel's." She shifted position, disposing of the pillow and moving to lean her back against his front, settling in as his arms wrapped around her middle. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"What?"

"Starting off married life with a ready made family?" he clarified. "Dealing with all of Charlie's issues, his therapy, the doctors' appointments," he listed. "His grumpy dad."

She laughed, running her hands over his. "I think as long as I have the grumpy dad, I can deal with just about anything," she said, pulling his hand up to kiss it.

"You can?" he asked as she moved her lips from his palm to each finger.

"Mmhm." He nibbled on her ear as his other hand tightened around her waist, pulling her closer.

"You know, I think I just figured out what I'm gonna get you for a wedding gift," he said.

"Really?"

"Yep."

"What?"

"It's a surprise," he teased.

"Jack," she whined. "Tell me."

"Nope."

"I wanna know." She craned her neck to look at him.

"You do?"

"I do," she insisted.

He leaned close and whispered in her ear. "A lock for our bedroom door."

"A lock?"

"Yep. I thought about vasoline on the door knob, but it gets messy," he quipped.

"Have I told you lately how much I love you?" she asked.

"Once or twice."

"Well, flyboy, you get that padlock and I'm gonna show you," she promised.

"Really?" She nodded and he pushed her off him, rocketing off the couch.

"Jack?" she complained. "What the hell are you doing?"

"There's a twenty-four hour hardware store down on Academy," he said. "I'll be back in no time."

Sam got to her feet, lunging for and grabbing Jack's arm. She pulled him back down onto the couch. "Shut up and kiss me."

Charlie listened to the giggles floating up the stairs and turned, a smile cracking his face. "Don't," he said, holding out his hand to stop Cassandra.

"What?"

"We're not watching movies tonight," he said.

"We're not?"

He shook his head. "No. Come on." He pulled her away from the stairs. "I'll teach you how to play chess."

~Fin~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Denise