Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

What If (Part 6)

by Th1rteen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
Finally I've got another chapter. I think one more after this and I'm finished. I think I may have made Charlie sound too old in this chapter but I hope it's all going to turn out all right in the end. Hope you like it at least a little.
What If (Part 6)

What If (Part 6)

by Th1rteen

Summary: Continuation
Category: Alternate Universe
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: minor language
Author's Notes: Finally I've got another chapter. I think one more after this and I'm finished. I think I may have made Charlie sound too old in this chapter but I hope it's all going to turn out all right in the end. Hope you like it at least a little.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/05/06

The mission was taking entirely too long. By his estimation he should have been home over a month ago. Sam had said that after beating the `bad guys' he would leave Daniel and return to Earth. Fate, it seemed was keeping him away from what he wanted most.
The natives took an extreme liking to Jack. He was heralded as a hero, which of course, he was, but they wanted him to help in the forming of a new `government' which was a vast overestimation of what would actually end up being a set of rules etched into stone and displayed on the top of a monument. To make matters worse, they would of course not be written in anything remotely like English, so Jack had no hope of ever reading them.
Finally he had enough. ^^During the next check-in with Earth, I'm running through the gate. This is crazy. People MUST be wondering where I am. GOD! What about Charlie? I have got to get back home!^^
They were scheduled to dial Earth in two days local time. Jack was antsy. He couldn't sit still and he couldn't tell anyone of his plan, lest they try and stop him. He felt badly for Daniel. The man had become a good friend even if he was a bit over-exuberant, and got way too much amusement from looking at rocks, and it seemed the older they were the more excited he was to look. He had been avoiding Daniel. He knew that if he was in his presence for too long, Daniel would know that something was up. Although Jack was normally very good at hiding any scheme he came up with, Daniel read him like a book. As much as this unnerved Jack, he did think that he would miss Daniel after leaving this place.
Finally the day arrived. Jack tried not to bounce on his toes too much. His team had been changing with every check-in. He was with a totally new team. The only original member, besides himself was Daniel. He knew the routine by now. He would report to whoever was listening (although lately there weren't too many people interested; the general lost interest long ago) and then a new squad would be brought in. After the gate disengaged, Abydos would dial Earth. Then the old team would go back home. This time he would be with them. He didn't care about the consequences anymore. He was sick of following orders and being stuck on this planet while his life (whatever was left of it) went on without him.
The only thing that dissuaded him a bit from his plan was the notion that he could be jailed. He really didn't care about incarceration, as long as he could have visitors. Then at least it wouldn't all be for nothing. ^^But what if I can't?^^ Jack tried not to think about that possibility too much.
The gate swooshed open and Jack thought that even though he was sick of this place, he's never tire of seeing the gate in action. Jack was surprised to hear a new voice come through the gate. "Colonel O'Neill?"
"Present"
"Colonel O'Neill this is General Hammond."
Realizing the lack of respect he had just shown a superior officer, he responded "General, sir, it's nice to meet you sir."
"Likewise Colonel. Have you anything to report?"
"Just the usual sir, a lot of sun and a lot of heat. Other than that, all's quiet on the western front."
"Very good Colonel. If there's nothing further, I'll be sending new troops in now, then I'll disengaged. We'll check in again in another two weeks local time. Understood?"
Even though Jack wasn't expecting to be told he could go home, he couldn't help but feel disappointed that the new general didn't allow him to. He responded to the general with very little enthusiasm "Yes sir."
"Colonel, you sound less than thrilled about this assignment. Need I remind you that you are a pioneer? You have traversed space in a way that many only imagined possible and have secured a planet in desperate need of help."
^^He makes it sound so important, and yet, if I am a hero, why won't they let me come home?^^ "Yes sir. I appreciate my opportunity and do wish to stay." ^^I can't believe anyone would fall for that lie.^^
"That's funny Colonel because it seemed to me that you were homesick." That got Jack's attention. He looked up even though he was only looking into the blue pool of the gate. "I was going to tell you to name your second in command and come home. But if you'd prefer to stay-"
"Sir! Major Gothe will do just fine." Jack cut him off. The general laughed.
"Just as I thought O'Neill. We'll disengage and I'll see you back on Earth within the hour."
"Yes sir, thank you sir."
With that the general signed off and the replacements came through the gate. Jack ran to his quarters (which were basically a glorified tent) as fast as he could. Once inside he dropped to his knees and shouted "YES!!" He had already packed his things (after all he had planned on going back to Earth today) and sought out Daniel to say his goodbyes, although he felt an almost certainty that their paths would cross again.
**
Charlie was just too stunned to move. He couldn't believe that after so long his father was actually home. He shook himself, blinked twice, and then yelled "DAD!!" and ran to his father. He started to cry somewhere between sitting at the table and jumping into Jack's arms. With tears streaming down his face he said "I'm so glad you're home."
Sam recovered from her near-faint and after hearing Charlie's tearful hello, she said "Oh, I'm so sorry." She started to stand. "I should give you two some time alone."
Both Jack and Charlie held her firm. Charlie spoke first. "Don't go Sam, please don't go."
Sam and Jack knelt down to Charlie's height and hugged him. They stayed that way for a long time.
**
Marty called about an hour later and invited them to his house for a "Welcome back dinner." Sam couldn't attend because she received an urgent message from General West requiring her presence at Edwards Air Force Base early the next morning. Jack was more than a little upset but she promised that as soon as she returned from California they would "talk."
At dinner Jack was very quiet. Marty and Charlie took his silence as depression over Sam's leaving so soon after he returned, but this wasn't the reason. Jack was thinking. > He looked at Charlie. > "Charlie, can I ask you something?"
"Sure Dad, what's up?"
"Uhh... do you like Sam?"
Marty stood up. "I think I'm going to go watch TV for a while. You guys call me if you need me."
Jack nodded his appreciation before asking Charlie again. "How about it buddy... What do you think of Sam?"
"I like her." Charlie turned back to his spaghetti.
"How much?"
"How much what"? He asked with his mouth full.
"How much do you like Sam?" Before Charlie could answer Jack continued "Chew, swallow, answer, in that order."
After he finished, he responded: "Dad, when you were away I spent almost all the time with Sam. She made me feel better."
"You did?"
Charlie didn't respond. He looked down into his bowl. "Why do you wanna know if I like Sam?"
"I was just thinking that *I* really like Sam, and I was hoping that it would be all right with you if she was around a little more often."
Charlie looked at his father with a glimmer of understanding in his eyes. "I think that's a really good idea."
**
Sam had just received her orders to report to the Cheyenne Mountain Complex in three months time to begin her work on the Stargate Program and to become a member of SG-1. Until that time she was to read up on all those involved with the program and to familiarize herself with the most current information about the Stargate, and how it was thought to have worked. She laughed to herself a bit about that part. No one knew the Stargate better than Sam Carter, especially this `future' Sam Carter.
She was just walking toward he quarters on base when the short hairs on the back of her neck started to stand. Not in a bad way though. Not at all.
"Sam!" She turned to see Jack and Charlie standing behind her. Charlie ran over to her and gave her a big hug.
"What are you guys doing here?"
"We missed you." Charlie replied.
Sam looked at Jack. "Is that so?"
"Yeah, it's so." Jack responded. "Wanna grab some dinner?"
"Sure. Where to?"
"Uhh... I was thinking Vegas."
"Vegas? That's over four hours from here!"
"No it's not."
"Jack, it's almost 230 miles away."
"So?"
"SO that's a long way to drive for food."
"Who said anything about driving?"
**
It was times like these that Jack relished the fact that he was an air force colonel who had saved lives on many occasions. It was for this reason that it was relatively easy for Jack to get a flight from Edwards to Las Vegas, Nevada.
Once there though he started to get nervous. Sam didn't seem to have any idea what it was that Jack was trying to accomplish by bringing her to Vegas, other than of course to eat. Because of Sam's lack of intuition, Jack was starting to lose his nerve.
Sitting in a small restaurant just on the edge of the city Charlie noticed his father's anxiety. There was very little conversation and Charlie, for the first time in his young life, realized that sometimes even grown-ups need help. So, having recognized the need to do something, he now had to figure out what to do. "I need to use the bathroom."
"Sure buddy, excuse us a minute Sam."
"No, I want Sam to take me." He turned to Sam. "Will you take me? Please?"
Sam looked at Jack then smiled at Charlie. "Sure, cmon."
They made their way toward the back of the place where the restrooms were. "I'll wait for you outside the men's room ok?"
Charlie looked at Sam and sighed heavily. ^^I guess it's now or never.^^ "Uhh, I don't have to use the bathroom Sam."
"You don't?"
"Ahh, no..."
Sam was confused. "Then why did you ask me to take you to the bathroom."
"Because my dad needed my help."
Now Sam was more confused. "I don't think I understand Charlie."
Charlie sighed again and shook his head. "I know you don't. That's why I needed to get you away from the table. To help you understand."
"Uhh... ok Charlie."
He knew she was humoring him, even though he wasn't exactly sure what `humoring' is. He decided to ignore her and just hope that she listened to him long enough to realize that he wasn't just being an impulsive kid. Maybe he could get past what Marty told him would be their problem. They couldn't see the forest for the trees.
"What happens in Las Vegas Sam?"
"Lots of gambling."
"What else?"
"Uhh... Charlie I think you might be too young to know the particulars of what else goes on here."
"Come on Sam. Think."
^^He sounds like his father. Well, at least he sounds like what his father will sound like.^^ "I don't know Charlie. I guess there are a lot of weddings here."
Charlie started walking back to the table. After about three steps he looked over his shoulder at Sam. "I knew you'd get it eventually."
She watched his four foot form stroll back to the table with his hands in his front pockets. He was like a mini-Jack. It caught her off-guard. She started to walk back to the table after him and then suddenly stopped. It hit her. It took some time to set in but now it hit her. Jack was going to propose. She turned on her heel as if she was commanded to `about-face' and headed into the ladies room.
**
"Where'd Sam go?"
"She had to use the bathroom. What are you doing Dad?"
"Eating."
"Dad, the one person the stupid act is DEFINITELY not going to work on is your son."
"I've got to keep you away from Marty."
"No Dad , what you need to do is talk to Sam."
"Charlie-"
"Don't dad. Come on. You guys are unbelievable. Could you please get your act together here? I thought the point of all this was to finally be happy?"
"It is Charlie. But it's more complicated than that. You don't understand."
"Yes I do!" Charlie was getting frustrated. Sometimes it was hard to be a kid, especially a smart one. "You're the best dad in the whole world, but right now you're being a chicken." There was movement at the back of the restaurant. Sam was emerging from the bathroom, finally able to face Jack. "Dad, you can do this. This is the easy part."
Sam got back to the table looking flushed. Jack was still staring at Charlie. "Is everything ok?"
Charlie mouthed `Ask her'
"Yeah, everything's fine. Uhh... would you mind if we left?"
"DAD!"
"Not now Charlie."
"But dad!"
Jack knelt down next to him and whispered "I don't want an audience for this."
"There's no one here Dad."
Jack looked around and realized that the place was in fact empty. He shrugged his shoulders and sighed. Charlie pulled Sam over the where he was now standing and took a few steps back, hoping that his father would take the hint and the opportunity.
Jack was still on his knee but now had Sam standing over him. He looked down for a second and took a deep breath. ^^ It's now or never.^^ Taking Sam's hand and looking up and into her eyes he asked, "Sam, will you marry me?"
Almost before the question was out of his mouth, Sam answered "Yes!"
Charlie ran over to the pay phone in the back of the restaurant and dialed. After three rings it picked up, he said two words into the receiver: "Mission Accomplished."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Th1rteen