Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Feline Frenzy

by Tgfencer
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The members of SG-1 walked down the ramp as the closed behind them.

"Colonel, is that a cat?" The General asked through the intercom. The four members were lined up in a row, Sam and Daniel each with a small smile and with his usual blank look. Colonel O'Neill looked at his feet, where a grey cat was rubbing against them.

"Whiskers, paws, meow. Yep, I would say so, sir." Jack responded.

"I can't wait to here this one. Hammond responded with amusement.

------------

"The planet itself had no apparent signs of civilization sir." Sam explained as they told Hammond about their trip off world. "The only thing we found was this cat." She said motioning to the curled up figure in Jack's lap. "It seems to like him."

"Why did you take it through the gate with you?" Hammond asked.

"Actually sir, we tried to stop it but we couldn't catch the thing and it must have run through after us." Daniel answered.

"As stupid as this may sound, is this cat a threat?"

"I sincerely doubt it. For all we know it could just have been wandering in the area when it found us." Sam replied. "As for a threat, we could always have Janet do a MRI to make sure it has no metallic instruments in it."

"Do it." Hammond ordered. "Colonel, you're going to have to take care of it."

Jack groaned. "Cats aren't really my type sir. Maybe Carter could keep it."

"Actually I wouldn't mind sir except that it seems to like you." Sam answered, smiling.

"Great." Jack sighed. "Guess I could collar it."

"Cats are surprising intelligent, Jack. It will probably be fine without a collar." Daniel interrupted.

Seeing Jack's grimace, Sam stepped in. "We could all take care of it. Maybe it just needs some time to get to know us." She stuck her hand out slowly toward the cat, and it turned its bright blue eyes and stared at her.

"Creepy." She muttered.

"Carter?" Jack asked.

Sam replied, shaking her head. "It was just for a moment it looked...nothing sir."

"I believe that it needs a name, O'Neill." said.

"Uh..." Jack thought. "I've got nothing.

Daniel said.

"What?" Jack frowned. "That's no name for an animal."

"How about Meal'c." Teal'c suggested.

Jack blanched. "A little scary."

Sam said, but Jack shook his head.

Finally Jack came up with an idea. "His name is Spot." He proclaimed proudly.

"Come on Spot," Jack said picking up the cat and ignoring the strange looks he was getting from his team"Time to go see the Doc." Spot meowed softly.

Once Jack had left the room Daniel frowned. "He has serious issues."

------------

Apart from a few painful scratches, continuous hissing spats, and escape attempts, the visit to the Doc had gone well. Spot was now sitting on Jack's bed. He had been forced to stay at he base because the cat wasn't allowed off. The cat's soft purring echoed in the room as Jack tried to sleep. It wasn't that bad except every time he almost fell asleep, the cat would stand up, and then move to another position. Finally, Jack gave it a swift kick and sent flying off the bed. It landed on its paws with a loud hiss and proceeded to curl up on the floor. In a short time, Jack was sound asleep his snores in rhythm with the cats purring.

--------------------

"Sir, you look tired." Sam said as she her breakfast down across from the Colonel.

"My roommate hogged the bed." Jack responded biting into a bagel loaded with cream cheese.

"Where's Spot now?" Sam asked. As if in acknowledgement, Spot jumped up onto the seat next O'Neill then put her front paws on the table and stared at Sam.

"Ah." Sam said uncomfortably. "Spot stares a lot." Sam whispered to O'Neill.

Jack said sincerely. "Maybe he your pretty."

Sam flashed a brief smile as she shook her head. "I doubt it sir."

"I don't know Carter, you seem to incite infatuations." Jack responded.

Blushing slightly, Sam changed the subject. "Have you feed him yet?"

I don't know how much he eats." Once again in unnerving comprehension, Spot jumped onto the table, sauntered over to Sam's trey, and started nudging her yogurt with its nose.

Jack ordered. Spot turned, cocked its head, rolled its strange eyes.

"Creepy." Jack and Sam muttered together.

"Here," Sam peeled off the yogurt lid and placed it in front of the cat, "Knock out." Spot dipped its head slightly toward her then proceeded to amaze her. He stuck a paw in then licked the yogurt off then repeated the process until the yogurt was gone.

"Look sir," Sam said excitingly, "It's using its paw like a spoon."

Jack replied, amused by his friend's excitement.

"Hey guys, mind if we join..." Daniel stopped short as he and stared at the cat.

"Creepy." Daniel muttered, as he took a seat.

"Did you not say cats were intelligent, Daniel Jackson?" asked in bewilderment at everyone's amazement.

"Yes they are, but I've never seen a cat do this." Daniel said.

"Try to pet him Sam. Maybe after you gave him the yogurt, he will like you." Jack suggested. Cautiously, Sam reached out and ran her hand along Spot's back. She was delighted when Spot purred and then flipped over on its back to allow Sam to scratch its stomach.

"That's weird. "Jack smiled.

"Yeah, its something a dog would do." Daniel agreed. After gifts of food from both Daniel and , Spot soon was friendly with all of the team.

------------------

"Sam, you'll never believe this!" Daniel said excitingly as he walked into Sam's lab, where he was stopped short for the second time that day. Sam and Jack were watching as Spot circled a recent discovery, they believed it was a power generator of some kind, halting occasionally to stare at certain parts before moving on.

"Uh, what's he doing?" Daniel asked.

"Apparently, he is studying." Jack replied absently.

"Did you want something, Daniel?" Sam asked, noticing Daniel's pained expression.

"Yes, I took its blood sample and tried to trace its lineage through our cats and I discovered that over 75% off the currently known species are genetically similar to Spot. But that's not all. Janet discovered that Spot has the mental capacity of a three humans combined." He stopped to let that sink in, as his friends stared at him then stared at the cat, expression remarkably resembled a smug grin.

"That makes him five times smarter than me and about one time smarter than Carter." Jack joked.

"So what are we going to do with him?" Sam wondered aloud.

----------------

"Alright Spot, since you seem to be able to understand us, I'm going to try to rig up device that will allow you to talk to us." Sam said.Spot nodded.

After a short time and an incalculable mess of wires, it was done.

Do your thing." Jack said. A short burst of meows echoed through the device and Spot shook its head.

"Alright let me change something." Sam moved to change a setting on her laptop. After repeated failures, Spot stood up and walked over to the laptop, where he proceeded to unsheathe his claws and type a message.

Samantha, this will not work. Your technology is not yet advanced enough to develop a system from which you may understand me. However, I will save some of my knowledge to your hard drive in the hopes that it will benefit you and that one-day we can talk together.

"That seems to be a trend. I didn't think I would get it to work but it was worth a try." Sam muttered.

Daniel asked Spot.

I have enjoyed my time on this planet and wish to return on day. However, I believe that you are not yet ready for the things I have to tell you. I would like to visit an old friend of mine. His name is Thor.

Jack proclaimed proudly.

"Sure, Spot," Sam answered, "We'll contact him right away."

Your people bring great hope to me. One day you will make a great addition to our alliance.

"What alliance?" Daniel asked.

Not yet Daniel Jackson, in time you shall know.

Daniel nodded slowly in response. Suddenly a bright beam of light filled the room, and then there was Thor.

"O'Neill I received your message. It gives me great pride that your race has rescued a lone survivor of another race." Thor said respectfully.

"No problem." Jack shrugged.

"Dear friend, I am happy to see you." Thor said to Spot.

I would ask if I might journey with you for awhile. As much as am endeared to this race, I already feel the urgings for travel.

Thor replied. "O'Neill we will meet again." With that Spot hopped into Thor's arms and bowed its head to them.

"Wait!" Sam said curiously. "How did you know my name was Samantha?" Spot glanced at Thor and meowed.

"He says O'Neill muttered it in his sleep." Thor interpreted, as Sam blushed deeply.

As the beam of light enveloped them, Jack swore he say a cheeky grin on Spot's face.

"Damn cat." Jack swore half-heartedly.