Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

I'll Be There for You

by Stargatefangurl
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
A/N: Well, I'm not really sure how good it is, it was mostly just an attempt to prove to myself that I can actually finish something that I start. But, thank you for reading it and, if you gain any enjoyment from reading this story, please review. It would mean the world to me.
I'll Be There for You

I'll Be There for You

by Stargatefangurl

Summary: I'll be there for you, because you've been there for me too.
Category: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Thoughts
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Author's Notes: A/N: Well, I'm not really sure how good it is, it was mostly just an attempt to prove to myself that I can actually finish something that I start. But, thank you for reading it and, if you gain any enjoyment from reading this story, please review. It would mean the world to me.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/26/05

~~/+()+~~
The gray iris covering Earth's Stargate slid open and the four members of SG-1 rushed through the `gate. Several energy blasts flew through the `gate as the iris returned to its closed position but it didn't look like they had hit anything vital.
"Medic! We need a medic down here!" Daniel's frantic voice was heard over the sound of the `gate switching off. Hammond nodded and picked up the phone to page Doctor Frasier. It happened all too often when his premier team went out on a mission. Ninety percent of the time, they came back wounded. However, one distinguishing thing about the team was their ability to actually stay alive no matter the odds. Sure, one or more of the four had died at one time or another -especially their archaeologist, Doctor Daniel Jackson- but somehow, they managed to come back one way or another.
As to which one of the members it was this time; Hammond could see the unmoving form of Major Carter laying on the ramp after Teal'c had carried her back from the alien planet. Both Colonel O'Neill and Doctor Jackson were nearby, hovering over their wounded teammate in concern. As General Hammond made his way down to the Embarkation room, he could hear the voice of the base's CMO; she was on her way. Of all the doctors Hammond had known in his long career, she was one of the best he'd ever had the pleasure of working with.
Doctor Frasier arrived only moments before General Hammond and pushed her way past the Major's anxious teammates and to her patient's side. The aging General could only watch as they hurried to stabilize Major Carter. What had gone wrong? He wondered. The planet was supposed to be uninhabited.
He glanced to his 2IC, "Colonel, what happened?"
The man shrugged, glancing back at the still form of his teammate. "I don't know, sir."
"Jaffa?"
Teal'c was the one who responded this time, "They were not Jaffa General Hammond. I do not know who they were."
"They didn't exactly show themselves." Jack added.
"Indeed, we saw no signs of any hostile presence on the planet."
"None?" General Hammond was surprised; he would have expected Teal'c to notice something.
"No, sir" Jack said, once again glancing over his shoulder at the white-clad backs of the nurses who now blocked his view. He frowned anxiously and General Hammond sighed, he recognized the symptoms all to well; he would not be getting any information out of the team any time soon...
~/+()+~
Jack looked up at the sound of approaching footsteps then smiled as he saw who it was. "Daniel."
Daniel smiled softly in return, "Jack." He held out the cup of coffee he'd brought with him, "Thought you might like something to drink."
"Thanks." The Colonel accepted the steaming cup gratefully and cautiously sipped it. It wasn't hot enough to burn his mouth so he took a larger drink. Daniel took the chair next to him and they both sat in silence for several moments, sipping their coffee and thinking about their teammate. She'd been in surgery for over two hours. A half hour prior, General Hammond ordered the team to go get something to eat and rest. Jack had eaten but had been unable to rest. Apparently, Daniel had the same problem.
Daniel glanced over at his friend and sighed, suddenly feeling the need to say something positive. "Jack, she'll be fine." Surprised, Jack turned to look at the archaeologist as he tried to encourage his friend, "Janet's doing everything she can."
"Yeah..." Jack didn't exactly sound very convinced. Sure, he knew the Doc was doing everything in her power to keep his 2IC alive but that didn't mean she would actually be able to. "Carter's tough, she'll make it." Somehow, the words that he heard coming out of his own mouth didn't match what he felt inside.
Daniel nodded, now no longer feeling the need to say much. So, they just sat there. Silent. Unmoving. Waiting, waiting for anything; good news, bad news ... any news would have been nice.
"O'Neill, Daniel Jackson."
The two looked up as their third teammate stepped into the room. He glanced silently to the closed door and then moved to sit with Daniel and Jack.
"Still haven't heard anything..." Daniel said dejectedly in response to his friend's questioning gaze.
At that moment, the door opened and the three men rose to their feet anxiously as Janet emerged. She glanced at teach of them and took off her mask before speaking. "She's out of surgery."
"And...?" Daniel prodded.
"...And she's in a coma." The doctor added reluctantly, "Whatever sort of energy weapon that was, it did a lot of damage to several major organs."
"How bad?" Jack asked.
Janet sighed, "Bad." They'd done all they could do, but she wasn't about to tell SG-1 that. It was bad enough that she would have to inform General Hammond. Then she really didn't have to tell SG-1; they already knew.
"Can we see her?" Daniel said, hoping the answer was `yes.'
Janet nodded, "I don't see why not."
She stepped back as the three made their way past her. She sighed, she had a report to make ---a report that she was very much not looking forward to.
~/+()+~
Several hours had passed and all but one of the team had gone to bed. They decided to take turns watching their friend. First up was Teal'c, he really didn't have much to say. But, he was there on the floor by her bed, in a very light state of Kel'no'reem. However, he wasn't finding much rest. Too much was on his mind, too many things to think about. Mainly his wounded teammate lay there, possibly dying. Most of all, it was his fault.
~/++~
//**flashback**
*The four members of SG-1 stepped through the event horizon, weapons raised and eyes scanning the tree line for any signs of hostile activity. Nothing seemed suspicious or out of place so they slowly lowered their weapons. The MALP had shown no signs of any indigenous life forms, and from their initial impression, it had been accurate.
"Carter, you and Daniel go have a look at those ruins. Teal'c and I will go have a look around."
The two scientists nodded and left to do the job Colonel O'Neill had assigned to them while Teal'c and Jack headed off to scout out a perimeter.
They'd hardly gone two steps before Teal'c thought he heard something and paused, cocking his head to one side and listening carefully.
"Teal'c? What's wrong?"
The Jaffa was about to respond but didn't have the chance before a bright bolt of energy shot out of the trees behind him. He only saw the flash out of his peripheral vision but immediately dropped into a defensive position, partially hidden behind the heavy underbrush. The staff weapon in his hands activated and he peered cautiously out from behind the dark green leaves and foliage.
Mere moments after the first flash, the frantic voice of Doctor Jackson was heard,"Sam! Saaaaaaaam!"
There was a flash of movement behind and to the Jaffa's right, he quickly swiveled his head to see what it was. Colonel O'Neill had emerged from cover and dashed forward towards where he had left the two. Teal'c followed swiftly and yanked the Air Force Colonel out of the way of another blast moments before it impacted Jack's chest. The bright blast slammed into a tree and showered the two with bark and debris.*
//**flashback**
~/++~
"Teal'c?"
The Jaffa's eyes popped open and he glanced up abruptly, startling the archaeologist who had been leaning into his face. Apparently, Daniel had been trying to get his attention. "Daniel Jackson," The Jaffa greeted, slowly rising to his feet. "May I assist you?"
"Oh um," Daniel shifted and pushed his glasses back up on his nose, "I was, uh, here to take my turn with Sam."
The Jaffa nodded slowly, "Indeed."
Daniel glanced down at the still form of his friend and cleared his throat, "Is she ... has she moved?"
"No."
Disappointed, Daniel nodded imperceptibly and pulled a nearby chair closer to the bed before settling down to wait and watch his friend. He could sense Teal'c standing behind him in silence for several minutes before the Jaffa eventually left, hopefully to get some rest. Although, Teal'c had probably been resting the entire time he had been sitting with Sam. Unlike his teammates, he had the ability to go long periods with no sleep. Probably had something to do with `Junior'...
Sighing, Daniel pulled off his glasses and tiredly rubbed at his eyes. During Teal'c's turn of sitting with Sam Daniel had tried to get some sleep but was unsuccessful. He kept seeing the energy blast colliding with her back and throwing her forwards...
~/++~
//**flashback**
*The team split, Daniel and Sam going one way while Teal'c and Jack went the other. Daniel wasn't all that surprised Jack had chosen to go with Teal'c rather than stay and collect soil samples with Sam and Daniel. If there was one thing Jack hated, it had to be the boring collection and organization of soil samples. He'd tried to help on several occasions, but Sam generally had him run off before ten minutes had passed. So now, Daniel helped her whenever he could.
Sam paused, looking around at the ground beneath their feet. Daniel was about to ask her what she saw when a blindingly bright flash flew out of the trees. He ducked, his arms flying up to cover his face by reflex. Something clattered and then he heard a thump and opened his eyes. It only took him a moment to realize that Sam was laying face forward on the ground, unmoving.
"Sam! Saaaaaaaam!"
Rushing to her, Daniel started to inspect her for injuries but was interrupted by several more blasts flying out of the trees and impacting the dirt by his feet. With little hesitation, Daniel grabbed the back of Sam's vest and dragged her out of the line of fire to the relative safety of a pile of boulders. He could only hope that he had not injured her further by moving her but he hadn't been given much of a choice.
With his 9mm in hand, Daniel cautiously peered around the boulders for any sign of their attackers...*
//**flashback**
~/++~
Daniel frowned, biting at the lining of his cheek as he listened to the `beep; beep' of the machines hooked to his friend and watched the slow rise and fall of her chest as she breathed, all indicators that she was still alive. It was comforting, being able to sit by her bed and know she was alive, that they hadn't lost her ... yet... He shook off the thought and tried to focus his mind on something less depressing.
Heels clicking on the hard concrete floor announced the arrival of the SGC's Chief Medical Officer. He turned in his chair to look at her and she smiled softly, "How is she?"
"Well... I was kind of hoping you would be able to tell me." Daniel said, turning back to look at Sam again.
Janet nodded and sighed, pulling another chair up on the other side of Sam's bed. Daniel nodded, accepting her silence and not forcing her to say anything.
*Beep. Beep. Beep.*
"Do you think she will...?" Daniel's voice trailed off and his head sagged, unable to continue the question.
"What, Daniel?"
"...Wake up, Janet. Do you think she will ever come out of this?"
The petite doctor thought for a moment before answering. It was, of course, always a possibility with coma patients that they would not wake up again. It didn't happen every time; there was always a chance of recovery. With Sam, that chance was very good. "Daniel..." She sighed, thoughtfully biting her lower lip. "In every situation like this, there is always a chance the coma patient won't wake up. However," She added, "Sam has a very good chance of coming out of this, much better than most in her condition."
Daniel nodded, still silent but thankful that she had taken the time to reassure him. "Thank you, Janet."
~/+()+~
Jack silently walked into the room nodding to Daniel as he walked past. "'Night Jack."
Jack only responded with silence and another nod. Moving to the chair Daniel had just vacated, Jack settled in for an hour of sitting and waiting. First, he dug into his pocket and pulled out the gift he had brought to Sam, "I brought you something..." He muttered, taking the bright yellow yo-yo and placing it in her hand, his hand lingering for a moment on hers before he leaned back in his chair again.
"You know, you can wake up any time now, Carter. I think you've gotten your point across." There was no reply from the still form of his friend, but that was okay, he had not really expected one anyway. "Just so you know, the sooner you wake up, the sooner we get to have that party. I promise there will be cake. And pie!" He smiled softly for a moment, and then the smile faded. How many times had he been in this situation? Sitting by in helplessness as one of his friends died. It would seem to be a habit of his.
~/++~
//**flashback**
*Jack noticed Teal'c had stopped and turned to see what the problem was. Teal'c was standing, his head cocked, listening... Unsure of what it was that his Jaffa friend had heard, Jack shifted his grip on his P90 and looked around. "Teal'c? What's wrong?" Teal'c turned to look silently at Jack and opened his mouth to say something but didn't get the chance before a bright flash shot from the trees behind them. Both men scrambled for cover, Jack could no longer see Teal'c but he knew Teal'c couldn't be too far away.
"Sam! Saaaaaaaam!" Jack immediately recognized the frantic voice as Daniel's. Temporarily forgetting where he was, Jack dashed from cover, headed back to where he had left the other two members of his team. There was a dark flash of movement in his peripheral and then Teal'c collided with him and pulled him to the ground as an energy blast slammed into a tree above the two, showering them with bark and debris.
Several more blasts whooshed over his head, slamming into the ground by his face, by his feet, snapping saplings above his head. A strong hand gripped the back of his tactical vest and jerked him to his feet. Teal'c pulled Jack along after him for several unsteady steps as Jack tried to gain his balance. Cursing under his breath and ducking yet another blast, Jack followed his Jaffa teammate deeper into the cover of the dense underbrush and trees.*
~/++~
//**flashback**
Jack squirmed in the hard chair and tried to find a more comfortable position than the one he had been in for the past forty minutes. During his time watching the monitors, listening to their solemn beeping and just...waiting, Jack had seen no movement, no sign of life other then her soft breathing and the steady beeping of the monitor by her bed. It hurt him to watch her laying here, injured and comatose with him sitting by her side, unable to help, unable to do anything but sit. Sit and watch as she fought for life. His shoulders sagged and he rested his head in his hands.
*Beep...Beep...Beep...*
Over an over, a repeating cycle, endless, hopeless...
He sighed again and stood, restlessness finally getting the best of him. "Dang it, Carter! Wake up, that's an order." Still no response... With little else to do, Jack sank down into the chair again, to wait.
~/+()+~
*"Dang it, Carter! Wake up, that's an order."* She recognized his voice, slicing through the fog of unconsciousness and ordering her to wake up. Disobeying a direct order was not something she generally did, but right now, she didn't have much control over it. Besides, she was so tired... She tried to remember what had happened, the last thing she remembered was being on the planet...
~/++~
//**flashback**
*Sam moaned softly, the pain in her back excruciating, but she had felt worse before. Shots rang out in close vicinity and she craned her neck, Daniel was above and to her right, firing rapidly at someone/something with his Beretta. He ducked as an energy blast impacted the rocks by his head.
Unable to help her friends defend themselves was driving her crazy; she had to do something...
"Daniel!" The voice came from the cover of the trees nearby, she looked in time to see O'Neill, and Teal'c burst from the cover of the trees and rush over to their teammates. "What happened?" Jack asked hastily; glancing from his 2IC to Daniel.
"Sam's hit, she, uh..."
"Where?" Jack asked, turning to Sam in concern.
"...Back..." Sam groaned, black spots dancing in her vision.
"Carter, stay with me. Carter!"
She nodded wearily, barely hearing the Colonel telling Teal'c to carry her to the `gate as she slipped into blissful oblivion...*
//**flashback**
~/++~
*"O'Neill."* Immediately, she recognized the voice of her friend and teammate, Teal'c.
*"Teal'c."*
*"Has she not awoke, O'Neill?"* The Jaffa asked, concern in his voice.
*"No, Teal'c, she hasn't."*
The silence that followed was absolute, imposing. Slowly she forced her eyes open and then blinked. Her head rolled on the pillow and both Teal'c and Colonel O'Neill came into view. Teal'c immediately noticed the movement and alerted his friend, "O'Neill, I believe MajorCarter has awakened."
Jack's head came up abruptly and he smiled, she smiled back softly. "Hey there, welcome back."
"Good to be back, sir," She mumbled, her throat dry. "Water?"
It didn't take long for him to grab the glass by her bed and let her sip some from the straw. "Thanks."
"Think nothing of it."
She smiled again as she felt sleep tugging at her, but first ... what was in her hand? Slowly, she lifted her hand and raised her eyebrows in amusement as she looked at the bright yellow yo-yo. "A yo-yo, sir?"
"Thought you might get bored," He shrugged and smiled again. She nodded and her eyes slid shut again, sleep overtaking her again.
Behind the two, Teal'c smiled, knowing that O'Neill didn't realize that he was still holding her hand...
The End...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Stargatefangurl