Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Snookums

by SJ_Author
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Snookums, part 1/2

Snookums, part 1/2

by SJ Author

Category: Romance
Episode Related: 819 Moebius
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: FAM
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 12/07/06

Snookums
Author: SJ Author
E-Mail: sj_author@yahoo.com
Website: http://sjauthor.bravehost.com
Rating: All Ages
Content Warning: None
Season: Between 8 & 9
Summary: Sequel to "Yeahsureyoubetcha," Sam and Jack embark upon their new relationship while visiting Jack's cabin with Daniel and Teal'c
Classifications: Fluffy romance
Pairings: Sam & Jack, but of course
Spoilers for: Everything up to Avalon (seasons 1-8 and the start of 9)
Archive: Please, just ask!
Disclaimer: I don't own Stargate. I just like it :)
Author's Note: Thanks for all of the requests for a sequel; I hope this meets with expectations :) As with the previous story, speech is in "double quotes," thoughts are in *asterisks*. Thanks to Gen & Jess for the betas!
Copyright (c) 2006 SJ Author
*********************************
Jack smiled to himself as he lifted his eyelids enough to see the first rays of morning peeping through the windows of his cabin. His left arm had gone numb ashe used it as a pillow against the arm of his couch, but his right was comfortably draped over the waist and stomach of one Samantha Carter. They'd fallen asleep like this shortly after midnight, the hour when he'd officially become her former CO. The fire they'd been watching was now a smoldering pile of coals, and by the snores coming from the back room, Jack deduced that Teal'c and Daniel were still as out of it as the beautiful lieutenant colonel in his arms.
Last night had been a wonderful beginning. Sam had let him play it out just as he'd planned, keeping Daniel completely in the dark about what they intended until the moment finally came. Jack had kissed her exactly as he had over four years ago during the time looping business. He knew she wouldn't remember the first kiss, and he still hadn't worked up the courage to admit what he'd done back then, but he always wished she could remember; now, she could. . . sort of. At any rate, Daniel had been at least as shocked as George had been in the control room, and Sam had responded even more eagerly to the kiss than she had the first time around. Still, this was only the beginning.
They'd talked a little about their plans for the immediate future. Sam had certainly surprised him with her decision to leave theSGC for Nellis, just to spend more time with him. That move gave him just a little more courage to take the next step he had planned. It was true, he was no longer her CO as of seven hours ago. But he was still a general--soon a major general, as he was about to become head of Homeworld Security in just under two weeks. That position would put him right back in Sam's chain of command, even if she were working at Area 51 instead of the SGC. Granted, his would be an administrative position rather than operational, but it still left room for that niggling "appearance of impropriety" to crop up. Jack had a plan to legitimize things once and for all. He'd actually begun formulating it years ago, but never found the right time for its implementation. This, he hoped, would be it.
As he felt Sam start to shift, Jack carefully worked the blood back into his left arm and raised himself up. He somehow managed to climb off the couch over her without her waking up completely, but he put his foot down on one of his overturned shoes and his leg gave way. Sam opened her eyes with a gasp, as Jack's right palm connected with her stomach. "Sorry!" he whispered.
"Good morning to you, too," she replied, getting her wind back, and smiling slightly.
"Are you okay?" asked Jack quietly, pushing their shoes aside and kneeling in front of the couch.
"Great," she said, reaching a hand up to the side of his face. "Let's just not make a habit of that, alright?"
"Deal," Jack agreed, relieved that he hadn't hurt her. "Good morning," he said,leaning over to give her a kiss.
A few moments later, after catching her breath again, Sam said with a smile, "That's a much better way to wake up."
Jack grinned, finding himself in complete agreement with her. "Feel like coffee?" he asked.
"Mmm, better still," she said, closing her eyes and stretching where she lay. Jack had intended to get to his feet and start the coffee, but found he was still next to the couch, surveying the t-shirt and shorts-clad woman before him. Suddenly, he really didn't feel like moving anywhere except back onto the couch. "Do you want me to make it?" Sam asked, pulling him back suddenly from his thoughts to the task at hand.
"I got it," he said, finally getting up and padding into the kitchen in his stockingfeet.
"I'll join you in a few," Sam said, rolling off of the couch herself and heading for the bathroom.
Jack rummaged through the cupboards and was unsurprised to discover that Daniel had bought and/or brought four different types of Starbucks grounds. He picked one at random, and assembled the coffee pot and filter. Sam came into the kitchen wearing a fresh outfit just as he set the percolator on the stove. "I hope you like. . .Sumatra," he said, rechecking the label on the bag and turning up the heat under the coffee.
"Sounds delicious," Sam answered, walking up to him and slipping comfortably into his arms. "You want me to watch it for you while you wash up?" she offered. Jack just held her and smiled, still amazed at how she actually seemed to like being with him. "What?" she asked.
"I love you," he answered, smiling.
"So you've told me," she said, giving him a quick peck on the lips followed by a brilliant smile of her own.
"I plan on telling you that a whole lot more, so prepare to be bored," he said.
"Oh, I don't think I'll get bored," she responded. "I love you, too, remember?"
"Oh, yeah, but I still don't know why," he said, reluctantly letting her go and making his way out of the kitchen.
"I've got my reasons," she said, as he disappeared around the corner.
Jack usually took the opportunity on vacations to go days at a time without shaving, but for the second day in a row he was diligently scraping his chin. Sam had seen him scruffy-looking on enough occasions, but he still wanted to make a good impression--especially this morning. After washing up, he did a quick change in his room, and pocketed a small box that he took from his duffel bag. Reclaiming his shoes from the living room, he came back into the kitchen to the rich smell of coffee in the air. Sam was pouring the hot liquid into two mugs. "Wanna take this outside?" he asked, picking up one of the mugs and inhaling the aroma.
"Sure thing," said Sam, putting the pot back on the stove and turning down the heat. "Do you think we should wake the other two before it goes to waste?" she asked, picking up her own mug. Before Jack could answer, they heard a door bang open, followed by shuffling feet coming down the hallway. "Coffee?" asked a bleary-eyed Daniel appearing at the kitchen door.
Jack and Sam smiled at each other, trying not to laugh. "Yes, Daniel," Sam answered. "Just turn off the stove when you're done. We'll be outside."
"Coffee," was Daniel's only response as he moved to the cupboard to get himself a mug.
Sam and Jack headed out back and onto the pier. They sat on the edge rather than pulling up chairs, and watched the early morning sun on the water. Jack had his left arm around Sam's shoulders, and she kicked playfully at his foot as their legs dangled over the surface of the lake. "This is great," she said, leaning on his shoulder and taking another sip of coffee.
"I told you," Jack replied, reprising their conversation from two days ago. He hugged her closer and kissed the top of her head before taking another sip from his own mug. They sat in silence for a few more minutes as they both listened to the birds and finished their drinks. Sam looked completely relaxed, but Jack was only maintaining the illusion of ease. Internally, he was playing out a million different scenarios of how he wanted to broach the subject of the little item currently burning a hole in his pocket. *By the way, Sam.* *I know we've only technically been dating for a few hours so far. . . .* *Samantha, I have something to ask you.* *I know this might seem sudden, but I've been meaning to do this for years now.* *So, wanna get hitched?* As he imagined asking that last question, he accidentally chuckled out loud.
"What's so funny?" Sam asked, glancing up at him.
"Huh?"
"You were laughing."
"No I wasn't."
"Yes you--I am so not starting this."
"Good," he replied simply, still holding her close, relieved at how quickly she'd dropped the subject.
"So, what's so funny?"
Or not. "Random thoughts, that's all," Jack answered casually but evasively.
"Uh, huh," she replied, apparently realizing she wouldn't be getting a straight answer any time soon. "Want to head back in?" she asked. Both of their mugs were empty, and the early morning mist had almost completely disappeared from the trees around them. Jack didn't answer right away, determined to finalize and execute his plan without further delay. "Jack?" Sam asked after his lack of response.
Taking her empty coffee cup and setting it next to his on the pier, Jack stood silently and helped Sam to her feet. This was it. *Just do it,* he encouraged himself mentally. "Sam," he began, but realized he still didn't have the right words as she looked questioningly at him waiting for him to continue.
"Yes?" she asked, seeing him apparently at a loss for words. She smiled encouragingly, even though a speechless Jack O'Neill was something new to her.
Holding her hands, he came right out and said it. "Please, marry me." As soon as the words left his mouth, he felt an enormous weight lifted off of his chest that he hadn't realized he'd been carrying.
"Really?" Sam asked, now the one searching for words.
Jack smiled, hoping for the best, and let go of one of her hands to pull out the small box and show her the ring. "Really," he said.
Sam barely glanced at it before meeting his eyes again. Jack's confidence was slowly ebbing the longer she took to reply, but at last she started to smile. Jack felt a squeeze of her hand as her other one came up to his face. "Yes," she whispered. "Yes, Jack, I'll marry you."
"Really?" asked Jack in turn. He had spent so much time thinking about how to ask her, he'd hardly realized she'd have a reply. Sam smiled more broadly than he'd ever seen her. The hand that was on his face moved to the back of his neck, and Sam pulled him to her for a kiss. Jack's arms were quickly around her, and he snapped the ring box shut behind her back. *All I'd need would be for it to fall out into the water,* he thought vaguely as he lost himself in kissing Sam. *My fiance,* he corrected himself mentally. *My soon to be wife. Wow.* Finally breaking apart, the couple caught their breath while still holding each other closely. "I guess you can try this on, then," said Jack at last. He took out the ring and tossed the box aside on the pier. Holding Sam's proffered left hand, he gently slid the ring on her finger.
Sam beamed as she looked at the diamond-flanked blue topaz set in a platinum band."It's beautif--" she began, then stopped short, gaping. She looked up at Jack. "It's a stargate," she said, amazed.
Jack grinned. He'd had it made-to-order almost seven years ago. The circular gem was set within nine prongs that looked suspiciously similar to the chevron-locker-things on the 'gate. He'd even had the surface of the stone carefully sculpted so that, "You can actually see the fluctuations in the event horizon," he said.
Sam looked at him, apparently surprised that he'd remembered her comment at first approaching the active 'gate. "I never knew you listened to my rants," she said. "And that was so long ago."
"Well, I gradually learned to tune you out," Jack replied cheekily. "But, I told you I adored you already. You didn't believe me?"
"Benefit of a sarcastic nature, I guess," she replied. "You can say things like that without anyone suspecting the truth."
Jack slid his arms around her waist and looked into her eyes. "You've had me wrapped around your finger since we first met. I've been carrying this ring around since a little after Jolinar, but never found the right time to tell you."
Sam was still smiling, but Jack saw the beginnings of tears form in her eyes. "I'm so sorry it's taken this long," she said, and she kissed him, briefly but sincerely.
"Hey, no regrets," he said. "I've got you now, and that's all I need."
Sam smiled, and leaned back in his arms, with hers still wrapped around his neck. "So when were you thinking of setting a date?" she asked.
"Are you free this Saturday?" asked Jack, jumping right into the next phase of his plan.
Sam's eyes went suddenly wide. "Are you serious, Jack?"
"I can go and get the license today, but there's a five day waiting period," he answered.
"You're serious," she said with a growing smile, to Jack's relief.
"We could wait longer if you wanted to," Jack continued, "but it already seems like I've been waiting my whole life for you."
"Saturday's perfect," she said, grinning, and Jack suddenly found himself kissing her again.
Somewhere in the back of his mind, Jack registered a voice coming from the direction of the cabin. "You guys gonna want breakf--ah! Y'know, Teal'c and I can head on back to the Springs if you want the place to yourselves," suggested Daniel.
Parting reluctantly from Sam, Jack replied, "No, no, we need you two as witnesses." Sam smiled at him.
"No, you need to get a room," came Daniel's retort.
Sam took over, smiling at Jack before walking back towards Daniel. "No, Daniel," she said, "we're going to need a couple of folks to stand as witnesses this weekend," she clarified, showing him the ring once she was close enough.
Daniel looked between his two friends, then finally smiled and pulled Sam into a hug. "That's great; I'm so happy for you two!" he said. Then, letting her go, he yelled to Jack, "Well, it's about time."
"That it is," Jack said, coming up to Sam's side and taking her hand.
"This weekend?" asked Daniel.
"Saturday, if we can get the license today," answered Jack.
"We've gotta tell. . . Teal'c!" Daniel called, heading back into the cabin. He stopped short at the doorway, as Teal'c emerged.
"What is it, Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c asked.
"Jack and Sam," Daniel told him, "they're getting married!"
"My congratulations," Teal'c offered as he took Jack's arm and then pulled Sam into a warm hug.
"Thanks, 'T'," said Jack.
"Thanks, both of you," said Sam, letting Teal'c go. "Teal'c, we were hoping you and Daniel would be our witnesses this Saturday."
"I would be honored," he replied.
"Well," said Jack, "if that's all settled, we've got some things to get done in town."
"I need a dress!" said Sam, the thought apparently having just occurred to her.
"I'm afraid I can't help you there," said Jack. "I just emptied the last one from my closet."
"Funny," said Daniel. "I'll help Sam get what she needs," he volunteered. "How 'bout you and Teal'c deal with the groom's stuff?"
"Fine with me," agreed Jack. "I guess I'm not supposed to see the dress before the big day, anyway."
"Great," said Daniel. "Now, does anyone want breakfast before we head out?" he asked, returning to the matter that had brought him out of the cabin in the first place.
"That'd be swell," said Jack as everyone turned back to the cabin. "Uh, Sam?" he asked, tugging gently at her hand to hold her back.
"Yes?" she asked, coming back to him.
"Before things get rolling, I was wondering, how big a deal do you want this to be? As far as how many folks we invite, who we tell, et cetera and so on."
Sam looked thoughtful for a moment. "Not that I'd mind telling the whole world," she finally said, looking up at him with a smile, "but maybe we could keep it fairly quiet--until we're ready. Just to spare us the busy-bodies and whatnot."
"Pretty much exactly what I was thinking," said Jack. "But is there anyone you want to tell right off the bat?"
"Well, Cassie. And General Hammond?" suggested Sam.
"Just what I'd hoped you'd say. You can tell Cassie the news. I'll call George and see if maybe he can get up here this weekend." Jack started leading Sam back to the cabin. "Gotta have someone to give the bride away, right?"
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to SJ Author