Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Past, Present and Future

by Sid
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Past, Present and Future

Past, Present and Future

by Sid

Summary: Daniel dreams about Sha're.
Category: Smarm
Season: Season 1
Pairing: none
Rating: FAM
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/18/06

He'd left Daniel sitting on the couch, warmly wrapped in Jack's winter bathrobe, sipping coffee while blearily watching the morning news. When Jack returned, showered and dressed, Daniel had nodded off. He must have had another restless night. The mug of coffee, not quite empty, perched at a precarious angle on Daniel's sprawled lap. Jack moved in silently to effect a rescue.
As he bent over Daniel, the other man's eyelids flickered open. "Sha're," he said, smiling contentedly. Jack froze for a second, lips parted in wordless sympathy. Blue eyes blinked at him in sleepy puzzlement, and then awareness filled them in an instant's time. As Daniel shifted himself into a more upright position, the coffee mug tilted.
Jack grabbed it swiftly, and said quietly, "I'll get you a refill." He went into the kitchen, refilled both their mugs, and then stared out the window into the soft beauty of a Colorado spring morning, giving Daniel a few moments to pull himself together.
When he went back into the living room, Daniel's eyes were resolutely fixed on the television screen. He handed him his mug, received a murmured thanks, and stood sipping his own coffee, idly watching the news. An assessing glance at Daniel showed that he was a million miles away. Jack crossed in front of Daniel's unseeing eyes, and perched on the coffee table. "Want to talk about it?" he asked gently.
Daniel's head turned towards him slowly, and a slight frown wrinkled his brow. "You don't want..."
"You were obviously dreaming," Jack interrupted smoothly. He took a sip of coffee. "Didn't look like a nightmare."
"No," Daniel said, half-smiling. "It was nice." Jack smiled back at him, and tilted his head encouragingly. "It was different," Daniel added, with a chuckle.
"Different how?"
"It wasn't Abydos. It was here. I'd brought her home with me." Daniel was still smiling, but his eyes were wistful. Jack didn't know how to respond to that, so he sipped his coffee and remained silent. Daniel looked at him and chuckled again. "Literally here. Your house."
"Okay by me," Jack said lightly.
"Yeah, you must have been okay with it. You weren't actually in the dream, but you'd given us your bedroom." Daniel's eyes were warm with gratitude, and Jack felt embarrassed as he smirked and shrugged. "I'm sure it was just temporary, of course, until we got a place of our own."
"You're welcome to stay here as long as you want, Daniel. Your wife, too," Jack said sincerely. As they smiled at each other, Jack saw the moment when the expression on the other man's face changed, the moment of realization, the moment when Daniel's widened eyes said you're lonely. Daniel's lips parted, and Jack rose hastily. "Don't," he warned.
Daniel stood up, too. "You do so much for me." Jack closed his eyes, and lowered his head, sighing. "You're a wonderful friend, Jack."
Jack's eyes shot open when Daniel took him in his arms, and pulled him close. His hands hovered awkwardly for a moment before landing gently on the well-worn fabric of his own bathrobe. "You sure you're really awake?" he asked, slightly shocked.
"Mmm?" Jack felt the frame of Daniel's glasses press against the side of his face as Daniel tilted his head questioningly.
"You don't do this kind of thing," Jack said, with a surprising sense of certainty. An unattractive snorting sound filled his ear, and knuckles rapped gently on the back of his skull.
"I'm being tender," Daniel announced. "So shaddup."
So Jack shut up, and his arms tightened around the friend whose importance in his life was growing every day. He smiled broadly. Apparently the feeling was mutual. Wasn't that nice?
THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sid