Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Rebirth: Part 1

by Senyah
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Rebirth: Part 1

Rebirth: Part 1

by Senyah

Category: Alternate Universe
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Team
Rating: FAM
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 05/20/06

He stood stock still in the briefing room, dark eyes riveted on the swirling event horizon. The blue formless glow sent shimmering fingers dancing across his face as he breathed gently in and out waiting for whatever was to come next.
"I'm sorry, sir, I just can't explain this," Carter looked frustrated and pale in the gate's incandescent glow, "there's just no way it should be doing that."
"Ah, but it is" He mimicked quietly hiding his disinterest as Carter catapulted head first into the possible explanations for the unexpected swirling vortex and their inaccuracies. The flickering surface of the gate, normally flat as his fishing pond, was pulling to one side, sending waves of the curving vortex pouring to the right. He had a headache.
Tiny flickers of white light began twitching into life, pure energy it seemed, forming a cocoon of bright sparks on the stairwell.
"Close the blast doors" Instinct overrode interest as Carter pressed the command. No response. "General...?" The whirling beams rose to fever pitch, drowning out the gentle lapping of an open gate.
"Cut power, Colonel"
The hum was unbearable.
No response.
An instant and it appeared. The noise stopped. The wormhole from nowhere disappeared, and all that was left was the flesh coloured lump on the gate room floor.
"Neat!" He thought it, but she said it. Pleased with how his laid back attitude seemed to be rubbing off on the sometimes uptight Colonel, General O'Neill raced to the mound of clothes and flesh that had spontaneously jumped into life in his gate room, assuming it was a human being.
They approached with caution, edging toward the motionless shape in front of them. The girl was young, dark haired and wearing a mismatched selection of various SGC uniforms. She looked...lifeless. Then she twitched, rolled over, and revealed a gaping red wound arched like a grasping claw from her brow to her chin. She was bleeding profusely.
"Med team to the Embarkation room, ASAP." Carter had reached the phone in an instant, and a trolley hurtled into the room. The girl was hauled from the floor and began her journey to the infirmary within seconds of her arrival. "Hmm, that's something you don't see every day." O'Neill watched the medical team go, raising a hand to his throbbing temple.
"I know!" Carter jumped in, "That looked like some kind of gateway linked to that distorted wormhole, but that's impossible: the sheer complexity of maintaining or even accessing the gate's sub space field, let alone directing it, it's amazing. She didn't even look to be wearing any of equipment or....... Sir?"
After a small contemplative silence O'Neill sighed deeply. Turning his mildly amused face to his jabbering counterpart, he said "I need an aspirin." and walked out of the gate-room.
She awoke gasping for breath wincing from the pain of her extensive wounds. Her left eye had swollen shut from the trauma of the face wound, and her whole body ached. She hadn't been an easy patient to treat. Her internal organs seemed to be in shock, possibly from her rather harrowing journey to the SGC. Her back, upper arms and legs were covered in painful but treatable burns, complete with a large, unexplained, black bruise that covered the right side of her abdomen. She had been heavily sedated since her arrival three days ago, and was only now regaining consciousness.
"Hello." Daniel had been sitting inconspicuously in the corner of the room. Softly he added, "Do you understand me?"
"Yes I do, Daniel" she was shocked at the sound of her own voice; it was raspy and course. Her throat burned, and she guessed that at some point the Doctors had had to assist her breathing. She never imagined it would be this bad.
"How do you know my name?" he seemed mildly shocked, but not amazed by the prospect. No doubt Sam had already briefed him on the possibility of their visitor being from another dimension: the inter-dimensional-gate's readings were so similar to that of the Quantum Mirror that the conclusion was inevitable. "We worked together in my world."
"And how do we know each other?" he added
"I sorta ended up working for the SGC by accident, I'm a research assistant in the Biological Labs, but I'm getting pretty good at it now: I've come on a couple of missions with SG1"
"Are you military?"
"No, I found out about the Stargate-programme accidentally. My Mom and Step-Dad work here. One time she got shot and slipped into a coma, and he brought me in to...you know... say goodbye." She stopped to take a painful breath. Daniel could plainly see the emotion bubbling up behind a fragile faade of calm. "I was really upset; I took off and ended up in the gateroom. That was a bit of a giveaway really."
"Do you feel up to explaining how you got here?" Daniel asked, unable to hide the concern that crept into his voice as he watched the young girl struggle and gasp for each shallow breath.
*It isn't him* she reminded herself *you owe them the truth, they have no right to be angry here*, but the rationalising voice was not as calming as it had been before her miraculous journey had begun.
"No she isn't, Dr Jackson" the petite nurse stated, leaving Daniel in no doubt as to the unwelcome nature of his question. "I'd think you'd better leave now."
An exasperated half smile pinched the corners of Daniel's mouth into a familiar, but rare, look of resignation. "Until tomorrow, then?" he said, rising from his chair. She nods her reassurance as avidly as the bruises allow, watching him rise from his chair.
"Wait," he stopped halfway to the door, "I haven't even asked your name!" *What's the harm* her inner voice speculates *If nothing else here can be truly familiar, at least your name can be your own*
"Becky." she says tentatively
"Goodnight, Becky." he counters, "Sleep well"
At least she hoped she would.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Senyah