Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Four More Months

by Purplepenguin1013
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Four More Months

Four More Months

by purplepenguin1013

Summary: Another month in a continuing chronicle of Sam's pregnancy
Category: Humor
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: FAM
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-02-06

"Look at that, see that throwing arm? That's my Jack Junior!"

"Is that a picture of baby Daniel? Lemme see!" The archaeologist of the same name approached the proud father-to-be, reaching for the photograph.

"I'm not done yet," the Colonel responded petulantly, spinning away only to collide directly with the SGC's equivalent of a portable brick wall.

Teal'c removed the print from the hand pinned between his massive upper body and the Colonel's.

"Young Teal'c appears strong and healthy. He will grow into a fine warrior."

Sam looked up from her work table as the three continued to discuss her latest ultrasound. She should have known it was a mistake to bring up the subject of what to name her unborn child. For weeks, everyone had been using their own pet names to discuss the baby. The monikers had ranged from the descriptive ("the bulge"), to the mundane ("Bob"), to the just plain weird (Jack had spent a good week and a half refusing to respond to any inquiries about the baby unless it was referred to as "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named").

A few weeks earlier, however, Sam had brought up the idea of considering actual potential names for the baby. The suggestion was, of course, met with gusto. Baby-name books were purchased, origins and etymologies were researched, and lists were compiled.

When they ran out of names they liked, someone came up with the brilliant idea of naming the child after themselves. Since then, Sam had just been grateful that they did not yet know the sex of the baby. Finding out it was a boy would only encourage their current narcissistic tendencies.

The practice had been enlightening, however. Upon hearing three-quarters of SG-1's newest handles for the fetus, other members of base personnel had joined in. The only thing more disturbing than Simmons asking how "the little Graham Cracker" was doing was Walter in all his Elmer Fudd-ish glory offering to provide baby-sitting services to a new born Wally.

After the rest of the base had either latched onto the gag like a symbiote to a spinal cord or gotten bored with the game and dropped it after a few days, Sam began to notice those who had not joined in at all.

It was when Sam entered the control room to be greeted only by Siler, who asked "How are the two of you feeling, ma'am?" that she realized that not once had the Master Sergeant attempted to dub the child with his own first name. After spitting out an acceptable answer, Sam sat down and began racking her brain for what the man's first name actually was. She remembered reading somewhere that during pregnancy, women could become forgetful or absentminded, but she couldn't imagine hormones would affect her so much that she couldn't remember the first name of someone with whom she had worked side-by-side for years!

Against her own judgment, she asked Jack. He stared at her for a full thirty seconds; she could tell his first instinct was to laugh out loud at the seeming absurdity of the question. His face changed though, when he realized that he, too, had absolutely no clue as to the man's given name. A devious smile slowly spread across his lips.

"You know, I can just look it up in the personnel files...."

"No, no," he interrupted her, "I have a better idea."

He then kissed her soundly, turned, and left the room.

It was an hour later that she discovered through the base grapevine that Colonel O'Neill had all personnel files sealed to need-to-know basis only. And that the new betting pool regarding one Master Sergeant Siler's first name was evidently the fastest growing pot in SGC history.

"Unscheduled off-world activation."

The klaxons blared, bringing her attention back to the present. Jack and Teal'c turned to dash out of the room, the Colonel pausing only to glance at Daniel to make sure he would stay with Sam as she made her way to the control room.

Daniel helped Sam to her feet and the two began the trek through the corridors at a more sedate pace.

"What teams are off-world?" Daniel asked.

"SGs four and seven, but neither are due back until tomorrow," Sam replied.

They continued the walk in silence, Daniel keeping a steadying hand behind Sam at all times. At about twenty weeks, Sam's prominent belly had forced her to adjust the way she moved and slept and at least one of her mother hens was almost always around to help her out. Whereas their overbearing nature had frustrated her at the beginning of the pregnancy, she had learned that having someone willing to wait on you hand and foot could come in quite handy. All she had to do was feign a slight limp and she found herself on the receiving end of a foot massage from some of the best masseuses she had had the pleasure of meeting. Her feet had never been so pampered.

As they approached the stairs leading up to the control room, the doors to the gate room slid open, revealing a familiar face.

"Dad!" Sam exclaimed, opening her arms to embrace her father, who had not been on Earth since the first few weeks of her pregnancy.

Her arms remained open as her father's hands went straight for her stomach.

"Hot damn, you're getting big! Is he kicking yet? How are you feeling? Selmak was telling me how babies in the womb can hear what's going on outside, he says he might not be developed enough yet, but do you think he can hear me?"

Startled by the rapid barrage of questioning, Sam put her arms down and responded as best she could. "Um, you'd have to ask the doctor about that, I'm not sure, and we actually don't know the sex yet. I'm doing..."

Her voice trailed off. She stared down at the glinting globe that was her father's head as he crouched down, face level with her belly. She stood transfixed as Jacob Carter, General USAF, blended with a millennia old creature, proceeded to address her swollen tummy.

She allowed him to go on until the "Gwampas" and "widdle tiny sweetie-pies" became so saccharine that Sam felt the immediate need to go brush her teeth.

"Uh, Dad? Maybe we should take this somewhere...not in the middle of the hall?"

Jacob stood up and straightened his tunic, not looking the slightest bit embarrassed.

"Sure thing. How about the commissary? Selmak and I could use some Earth desserts. Join us, Daniel. Jack, Teal'c and George are coming along soon."

The trio made their way towards the elevator, Jacob continuing his rapid-fire questions. The doors slid open in front of them and a lone figure stepped out.

"Well, if it isn't Master Sergeant..." Jacob's next word was obscured to both his companions as a gush of air was suddenly vented above them.

"...Siler. How you doing, son?"

"Very well, sir, thank you."

Sam and Daniel exchanged stunned looks as they followed Jacob into the elevator.

"Um, Dad? You know Siler's first name?"

Jacob gave his daughter a strange look.

"I always make a point to know the first names of people I work with, honey, especially when you're putting your life in their hands on a daily basis. Anyways..." Jacob put his palm flat on his daughter's stomach again, "Have you picked out colors for little Jacob's room yet?"

It was going to be a long four months.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to purplepenguin1013