Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Five Crossovers That Didn't Happen to SG-1

by Fig Newton
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He'd left the rest of the team at the campsite a few miles back while he went to the nearest town to scrounge some supplies. Teal'c had been especially fascinated that they'd gone back to a time only two decades before his own birth, yet the Tau'ri were so little advanced in comparison to the era they'd left behind through the Stargate. He'd been deep in conversation with Daniel when Jack left, discussing the Industrial Revolution and the uncanny ability of human beings to keep their feet so firmly on the technological accelerator. Carter had promised to keep guard, though, so Jack trusted that they'd all be safe and sound when he got back.

Now Jack walked steadily along the path -- nothing more than a double track of wagon wheels, really -- and tried to figure out what they were going to do next.

They couldn't stay. Not with Junior maturing in a few years, not with the sense of responsibility to the future that they all shared. Part of him wished there was some way to hang around, though. Much as he loved the Minnesota of his time, the untamed woods and prairies of this era were even more beautiful.

Slowly, he became aware of a sound -- still faint, but in the absolute silence of this wilderness, the smallest noise was magnified. Hoof beats, clopping on the path ahead and quickly approaching. Stifling the impulse to reach for his concealed knife, Jack stepped a pace off the track and waited.

A wagon pulled by a single horse appeared over a slight rise. Relaxing a little, Jack raised a hand in greeting at the driver, who responded with a friendly call and reined in his horse. The large bay stopped, blowing a little, and Jack walked toward the wagon with his hands held out at his sides, unarmed and nonthreatening.

"Evening," the man smiled. He had bright eyes in a deeply tanned face, his hair and beard neatly trimmed. "Need a place for the night, stranger?"

"Name's Jack," Jack replied easily. He jerked his head eastward, across the prairie. "I've got a few friends camped back there, although I thank you for the offer. If you could just tell me if I'm headed in the right direction to get to town...?"

"You are, Jack," the man confirmed. "It's about two miles further up the road. But are you sure I can't offer you and your friends a place to stay? Caroline and I are always pleased to have company."

Jack had a sudden, almost irresistible vision of Carter in her BDUs striding into this man's farmhouse, not to mention Teal'c with his tattoo. He knew they'd need better intel, eventually, but even if they could obtain a proper dress for Carter -- and persuade her to wear it -- this friendly fellow was hardly likely to know how they could access the Stargate. The thought of a hot meal and Minnesota-style hospitality was tempting, but regretfully, Jack realized he'd have to pass it up.

"Thank you," he said again, "but I'd best be on my way."

"I'll wish you luck, then," the man said. He gave a final friendly nod, then picked up the reins, clicked his tongue at the bay, and rode onwards into the night.