Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Finding Closure

by Rocza
[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Gibbs meets with Grandma Ford.
Chapter 6 – Family

Gibbs left Jon at NCIS headquarters in the capable hands of his team. He didn’t need the kid for this interview. In fact, he preferred to do this one without him. So, he traveled alone to the Ford residence. He wanted to get a feel for the Marine without his new shadow. He knocked on the door of the well maintained home and smiled as an elderly woman answered the door.

“Can I help you?” she asked warmly.

“Yes, Ma’am. I’m Special Agent Gibbs, NCIS. I’m looking for Frank and Adele Ford. It’s about Lt Aiden Ford,” Gibbs said gently.

He watched as the woman seemed to wilt a bit at the mention of the Marine’s name. “I’m Adele, Aiden’s grandmother. Frank isn’t here right now. Please, come in.”

Gibbs entered the house and looked around the livingroom. Pictures covered the shelves and Gibbs noted that the young Marine was smiling in most of them. Finally, he took a seat on the sofa and faced the Marine’s grandmother.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve feared this visit for some time,” Adele started, not quite looking at him. “I had held out hope that…well, I’m just a silly old woman.” She looked up and Gibbs could see the beauty and strength underlying her age. “But, I just wanted my boy home, even…even if he has passed on into God’s care.”

Gibbs shook his head, “I’m sorry, Ma’am. I’m not here because we have more news about his disappearance.” He gave her a reassuring smile, “I’m here to let you know that I have been appointed by the President to review the case and the evidence on your behalf. President Hayes can’t release the classified details at this time. I have been given clearance to act as your advocate.”

Adele seemed to draw strength from his news and her small form once again rose proudly, “If that is the best that can be done, then it is good news.” She granted Gibbs a beautiful smile, “Then what can I do for you, Agent Gibbs?”

“Well, Ma’am, I’m hoping that you would share with me the kind of man your grandson was…what kind of Marine,” Gibbs asked as he took out his notebook.

Adele’s smile grew, “That I can do.” She took a moment to gather her thoughts before she began to describe her grandson. She smiled as she recalled various incidents from his youth that displayed his character. She described how the boy had become a man and how the Marines and shaped that man even further. Her pride in her grandson was as apparent as was her sorrow at his loss. Finally, she finished with his pride and enthusiasm in his last assignment.

“Did he ever tell you about his last assignment?” Gibbs asked, when Adele finished.

“No, nothing directly. He said that it was overseas and that he would be out of touch for a while, but not to worry. He would write as often as he could.” She stopped as tears threatened, “We didn’t hear anything from him for nearly a year. But then one day a couple of young officers came to our door and handed us a stack of letters and a video tape. That was when they told us that Aiden was missing-in-action.” She dabbed the tears from her eyes, “I’m sorry.”

“That’s alright. Take your time,” Gibbs soothed.

Adele cleared her throat and continued, “The video and his letters never mentioned where he was or what exactly he was doing, but…he was so proud to be a part of it. You could see it in his eyes. His letters talked about the people he was stationed with…He was in awe of his commander, Maj Sheppard…and he said that these were honorable people. That he trusted them with his life.” She took a deep breath, “Lara met with Maj Sheppard not long after we got the letters…oh she tried to hide it from me, but she should know better. She said that Maj Sheppard was hiding something. Something about Aiden. Something that he was ashamed of.”

She sighed and dabbed her eyes again, “I just…I guess that I pushed Senator Thomas so hard because I need to know what happened. I don’t care about the secrets of our government…I just want to know what happened to my boy. I need to know so I can let him rest in peace. Do you understand, Agent Gibbs?” she said pleading with him to understand.

“I do,” Gibbs replied quietly. “But I can’t guarantee that I can give you those answers. I promised the President that I would find the truth. If someone is guilty of anything related to your grandson’s disappearance, I will find them and prosecute. But will that be enough? And what if I find that there was nothing anyone could do, will you accept my word? On my honor?”

Adele looked him in the eye and considered him carefully, “Will I ever know the details?”

Gibbs sighed, “I don’t know. Someday, it will be declassified, but when…I don’t know.”

Adele stood carefully and extended her hand, “Then I will have to accept your word, Agent Gibbs. I’m trusting you to find out the truth about my grandson, and if needed to bring those that wronged him to justice.”

“Thank you. I won’t let you down,” Gibbs said as he took her hand. “You have my word.”

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

TBC