Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Finding Closure

by Rocza
[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Jon and Abby go visit Dr. Beckett and Gibbs interviews Col Caldwell.
Chapter 10 – Colonel Caldwell’s Interview

Jon had found an empty lab just around the corner from their assigned quarters. It had been cleaned out and left empty by the expedition, but the computer consoles were permanent fixtures and had been left behind. Jon was able to key the door to his team’s biological signatures. If anyone else tried to open the door, they would be ignored.

Once secure, the team spent the rest of the day recreating their timeline and hanging their files and pictures back up on the walls, just like they had posted them in their quarters on the Daedalus. Jon was able to use the Ancient consoles and monitors to project the information they had collected on the laptops through an Ancient-Human interface link.

All in all, the new room looked like it could easily be an Ancient version of the bullpen at NCIS headquarters. It took Jon almost an hour to locate the Atlantis security video feeds. He eventually had to cross reference how the humans tracked time with the Ancient version of timekeeping before he could find them.

The Ancients only recorded a room if life signs were detected or it had been coded for constant surveillance. However, when they had abandoned Atlantis, the Ancients had removed all the security protocols on the cameras, since they didn’t know when they were likely to return or who the returnees were likely to be.

The Atlantis team had been accessing the security feeds, but had not figured out how to activate the constant monitoring feature yet. He marked the entire lot of files and created a quick link for Gibbs to use. Next, he created security parameters around the interview room. Only the NCIS team would have access to the feeds ensuring that they could review and discuss each interview without worrying about someone on Atlantis trying to hack in. His final touch was to convert the viewing monitor to English using the Earth laptop language settings, another feature that the Atlantis expedition had yet to use.

Gibbs seemed happy with their new work space. He sent Abby and Jon off to find Dr Beckett, while he remained behind to review the video footage. Jon was more than happy to get out and explore the city. He was finding that the city’s voice was becoming more of a background noise, like elevator music. He could ignore it if he wanted to, but when something caught his interest, it would sing loud and clear in his ear.

Abby and Jon wandered the hallways, their silent security escort trailing behind them. Abby was so excited about being in an alien city that she was skipping down the hallway. Jon could only grin at her antics and shake his head.

“Oh come on, Jon. You can’t tell me this isn’t the coolest place you have ever visited,” Abby said bouncing up to yet another window that overlooked the city.

“Yes,” he agreed. “This is definitely one of the coolest places I’ve been. Although…Disneyland could give it a run for its money.” He stopped beside her and pointed out one arm of the city, “That could be Adventureland and over there…that building almost looks like Space Mountain…Hey…maybe Walt Disney was really an alien…”

She grinned at him and replied, “I don’t think so…Besides, I don’t see the tram that circles the whole park.”

“Ah,” Jon replied stepping away from the window and dragging Abby into one of the transporter units. “But, who needs the tram when you have the park map right here. All you have to do is press where you want to go and…viola. There you are.”

“Really?”

“Yup. That one there will take us to the infirmary,” he said pointing at one in particular.

Abby grinned and quickly punched the indicated spot. The door closed just before their escort could hurry over to join them and they were whisked away to the infirmary. Abby was suitably impressed when the doors opened to reveal a completely different hallway that included the doorway to the infirmary.

“Very nice,” she agreed. “Oh…look at this…” she said bouncing over to another sculpture with a dead tree intertwined in the framework.

“Yeah,” he replied with little enthusiasm. It was probably much more impressive when the tree was still alive. “Come on. I bet the infirmary has more really cool gadgets, trinkets and gizmos.”

Abby followed him over to the infirmary, still looking at the tree hopefully, “Do you think that‘s an alien tree? I mean…it so looks like a Ficus. Shouldn’t it be…blue or something?”

Jon snorted. “I don’t know…it could be alien. But…more likely it came from Earth. Remember, the Ancients came from Earth to here…so…” he waved his hand negligently at the tree.

Abby’s eyes brightened, “I should get a sample and run some tests. I could cross compare the genus and species to see how the Ficus has evolved over the intervening 10,000 years….”

“Can I help you folks?” a soft Scottish accent interrupted her tangent.

They looked up to find the very man they were seeking. “Dr Beckett, I presume,” Jon said as way of introduction while he extended his hand in greeting.

“I am. And you are?” Dr Beckett replied with a sad smile.

“Agent Jon O’Brian and Ms. Abby Sciuto with the NCIS team,” Jon replied.

Dr Beckett automatically shook his hand as his mind tried to process who they were. “NCIS?...Oh, the ones looking into our lost lamb. Yes, well, welcome to my infirmary.” He ushered them deeper into the infirmary and eventually set them down in his small office. “Now, what can I do for ye?”

“Dr Beckett,” Abby started. “I’ve looked over all your reports and I have to say. Your research is absolutely brilliant.”

“Yes, well…,” Dr Beckett paled a bit as he looked down and away. “I’m not nearly that, lassie. Don’t waste your admiration on me.” He almost sounded more depressed than modest, and Jon wondered what could have shaken the doctor’s confidence so badly.

Abby glanced at Jon before continuing. “I was looking at the reports you did on the wraith enzyme. The research is cutting edge. I was hoping we could talk about how you came to your conclusions.”

Dr Beckett seemed to brighten a bit. “Ah yes, now that research I am more than a bit proud of. Let’s see…” He pulled out a tablet computer and began sorting through the files until he pulled up the files on the enzyme. At that point, Jon tuned them out. He really didn’t want to rehash the scientific side any more than he had to.

He was here to make sure Abby didn’t run into any trouble, not to participate in a scientific discussion. He stood up and wandered back to the doorway of the office while Abby worked her magic on the Scottish doctor. Leaning casually on one of the hidden access panels, he began to listen to the background music of Atlantis.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG—SG

Col Caldwell sat in the hard uncomfortable chair and fidgeted. Gibbs continued to peruse the paper file while covertly observing the colonel’s behavior. Finally, he closed the folder and folded his hands over it. He already knew everything it contained. But he had found that props often helped him focus the interview in the direction he wanted.

“Col Caldwell, do you know why I’m here?” Gibbs started abruptly.

“Yes. You’re looking into Lt Ford’s death,” Caldwell replied easily.

Gibbs couldn’t detect any uneasiness in the colonel. It appeared that the colonel had made peace with the lieutenant’s death. Interesting. “And do you know why I specifically wanted to talk to you, Colonel?” Gibbs pushed in a more confrontational tone, trying to get an emotional reaction.

Col Caldwell gave him a wary smile. “I assume it’s because I’m the Commander of the Daedalus and the author of several reports where the missing lieutenant was featured.”

There it was. The colonel was uneasy about those reports or something in them. “Yes. Perhaps you can shed some light on some of the more vague areas of these reports…” he pushed. Gibbs pulled out the first report the colonel had filed detailing the recovery of the lieutenant and his subsequent escape from the city. “In this report, you quite clearly list the details of the lieutenant’s recovery and escape.” Gibbs pulled out the second report, “But in this report, you not only list the details of the encounter with Lt Ford, you made very specific recommendations about Colonel Sheppard’s ability to lead the military contingent of this expedition. What changed between these reports? What did Sheppard do to lose your confidence?”

Gibbs pushed the reports towards the colonel while watching for his reaction. Colonel Caldwell reached forward and thumbed absently through the two reports without really looking at them. Regret and shame coloring his face as he remembered the events. Very interesting.

Colonel Caldwell sighed and looked up at Gibbs. “A lot changed in that month.” The colonel tapped the first report, “This was a rescue mission. My ship went to Atlantis with one mission, to save the city and as many of the expedition members as possible. And…together…we succeeded.” Caldwell looked down at the second report before reluctantly tapping it, “But this one…I regret ever writing this one.”

The colonel leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms protectively across his chest. “When we returned to Earth after the battle, the IOA had to appoint yet another military commander to Atlantis, since Colonel Everett was no longer fit for active duty. After some debate, I was selected as the new Atlantis military commander. But Dr Weir refused to accept anyone but Sheppard. When it was pointed out that the duties and responsibilities of the military commander were above the rank of Major…well, Dr Weir just demanded that they promote Sheppard. She convinced General O’Neill and he supported her decision. She essentially forced the IOA’s hand and they weren’t happy about it.”

Caldwell sighed and looked Gibbs directly in the eye as he continued. “I was angry. I felt that I had earned the command and that Dr Weir’s politics were robbing me of my chance…” He gave a short snort, “I was an ass. I dismissed Sheppard’s year in command as random luck. I criticized his security protocols without trying to understand why they were in place. I saw Sheppard’s short and troubled history with authority instead of his clear leadership skills. I’m ashamed to say that I let my anger color my opinion and I aggravated an already difficult situation.”

“What happened?” Gibbs prompted, intrigued by the colonel’s confession.

“After being denied the Atlantis command, the IOA asked me to conduct a military review of LtCol Sheppard’s actions. Looking back, I can see that it wasn’t the IOA’s place to make that request and that they should have gone through General O’Neill before they came to me…but at the time…at the time I was so angry that I welcomed the opportunity to lash out at Sheppard.” He gave another dry chuckle, “Of course, in my mind at the time, I was just ensuring that the Atlantis team had the best military leader. But looking back, I can honestly say that I never gave Sheppard a fair shake those first few months.” Caldwell shook off the memories and then smiled at Gibbs, “But I CAN set the record straight now.”

Caldwell took a deep breath before starting the story. “Lt Ford picked the worst possible time to escape. We had just returned from battle with a fleet of hive ships. The Daedalus was seriously damaged and we had to land on the pier for repairs. Dr Weir was monitoring the incoming wraith fleet and evacuating as many of the expedition members as possible. We were able to evacuate all but a skeleton crew to another world and hoped that Dr McKay’s crazy idea of cloaking the city would work.”

“The fleet arrived and McKay set off the nuke trying to simulate a self-destruct and then he activated the cloak. My crew was on standby…ready to beam the remaining Atlantis expedition members to the ship for a quick escape, if McKay’s plan failed. The Daedalus was too damaged to stand and fight. And right in the middle of holding our breath and praying the cloak held, Lt Ford made his escape. He caught us all by surprise when he activated the Stargate. Even after it shut down we kept praying that the wraith had missed the power signature of the active Stargate. The cloak held and the wraith fleet left. Later, I heard that Sheppard had tried to capture the lieutenant before he made it to the jumper bay and barely missed him. I remember feeling sorry for him at the time for having to hunt one of his men.” Col Caldwell lapsed into silence as he recalled that feeling.

Gibbs sat with his arms crossed, absorbing the story. He let the quiet hum of the city surround them as he considered his next move. He decided to push the colonel. His guilt might reveal something more sinister. “So, did you agree with Sheppard’s decisions? Do you think that his relationship with the lieutenant made him hesitate before taking that shot?”

Gibbs watched anger and outrage cross the colonel’s face before the man was able to control it and seriously consider the questions. Gibbs saw the colonel struggle internally before finally giving a regretful sigh. “I do think that his relationship with the lieutenant colored his decisions, but I agree with his decisions. The expedition had gone through hell together the year that they were stranded here. You can’t help but get close to the people who survived in hell with you. You just can’t.” The colonel paused, “Did it make him hesitate?...I don’t know. Probably. If it was me…I don’t think I could have taken the shot at all. Who am I to judge Sheppard in that kind of situation?” Caldwell said trying to defend Sheppard.

“And the second encounter with the changed lieutenant?” Gibbs asked gruffly.

Caldwell chuckled, losing some of his anger. “I didn’t really play any part in the second encounter with Lt Ford. Oh, I tried to weasel my way onto the investigation, but all my information was second hand. Personally, I would disregard my report and only read the ones with firsthand experience of the incident.”

“Are you saying that your report is inaccurate?” Gibbs said in an accusing tone, pushing at the colonel’s guilt.

Caldwell just grinned. “No. It’s just colored by the misconceptions of a second party observer.”

Gibbs let the silence turn oppressive as he glared at the colonel. To his credit, Col Caldwell returned his gaze with his own calm stare. “What about the third encounter?” Gibbs pressed.

“I never actually saw the lieutenant that time either. The Daedalus was sent to the coordinates to rescue SGA-1 and we failed to get a lock on any of the team members. I watched the two hive ships begin their attack on us before turning on each other. Nothing survived the exploding hive ships, not even the darts that were flying in near proximity to us. Sheppard was lucky to escape through the Stargate when he did. One moment longer and we would have lost SGA-1 as well as the lieutenant,” Caldwell said sounding sure of his answer.

Gibbs nodded and abruptly stood up startling the colonel. Good. He wanted him off balance. Gibbs began to stalk around the room, moving out of the colonel’s line of sight. “Obviously, your opinion of LtCol Sheppard has changed since you wrote that report…what do you think of him as a commander now?”

Col Caldwell’s spine stiffened and he tried to turn and follow Gibbs with his eyes as he considered his answer. “I think that LtCol Sheppard has potential…a lot of potential. He needs to mature as a military leader and has a few issues with chain of command and protocol, but…” Caldwell stopped trying to watch Gibbs and chuckled as he leaned back in his chair relaxing. “…Sheppard has a gift when it comes to motivating the diverse members of this expedition. His leadership style is unorthodox at the best of times, but it works. His teams and the scientists here are loyal to both Dr Weir and Sheppard to a fault. They would follow them into the jaws of death, if asked. You have to earn that kind of loyalty. Looking back, I understand why Dr Weir refused to accept another military commander to replace Sheppard and I honestly don’t think another more conventional officer would be nearly as effective as LtCol Sheppard has been.”

Gibbs gave a derisive snort. “Another member of his fan club?” he mocked, pushing at the colonel’s pride. “And what did he do to earn your loyalty?”

Caldwell flushed angrily but didn’t rise to the bait. “He saved my life and my sanity.”

Gibbs raised an eyebrow at the bald statement but didn’t break the silence that followed. He knew that Caldwell would feel the need to justify his statement and fill the quiet on his own.

Visibly steeling himself, Caldwell started to relay his story. “Almost a year ago, I was taken host by a goa’uld. I was trapped in my own mind as the parasite planned and executed the destruction of Atlantis. The whole time I was a host, I kept expecting my crew and the other expedition members to notice the arrogance of the goa’uld. I kept waiting for them to take me aside and point out how out of character my behavior was. It never happened. They discovered that I was the goa’uld only because of the computer logs.”

Caldwell stopped and took a shuddering breath. “After…after the goa’uld was taken into custody, Sheppard never left my side. He escorted the goa’uld to the Tok’ra homeworld. He stood by my side as the Tok’ra removed it. He was the first person I saw under my own power. He apologized to me for not finding the goa’uld sooner…for not figuring it out sooner.” He closed his eyes and took a deep cleansing breath. “I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting on my past actions and I can honestly say that I was just as arrogant as that goa’uld. I never gave Sheppard a fair chance until after I was myself once more. Since then, I have seen a fair and compassionate military leader. Honestly, I don’t care if you believe me or not. I’m sure you’ll come to that conclusion yourself eventually. I just hope you don’t have to get there the same way that I did.”

Gibbs stopped his measured pacing around the room and turned back to the colonel with a questioning look. He could see how much the story had affected the colonel. He had what he needed and didn’t see a reason to twist the knife. Finally, he nodded to himself. “That’s all for now, Colonel. Thank you for being so forthcoming,” he said in a surprisingly compassionate tone while holding out his hand.

“It’s my pleasure,” the colonel replied surprised by Gibbs’ gesture. He accepted the handshake. “I’ll be in orbit for the next two days if you need anything else from me or my crew.” Col Caldwell slowly pushed up from his seat and made his way out of the interview room.

Gibbs waited a moment as he considered what he had learned. Abruptly, he stalked back to the team’s lab. He wanted to look over the videos of the lieutenant’s escape one more time before his interview the Dr Weir. He glanced at his watch and found that he should have plenty of time to see what he needed.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

TBC
Kapitel Abschlussbemerkung:
Sorry this took so long to post. RL is busy again. I'll post the next one as soon as I can. Next up...Dr Weir's interview.