Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

One Too Many Planets Pt.1

by Obsessed Pam
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
One Too Many Planets Pt.1

One Too Many Planets Pt.1

by Obsessed Pam

Summary: It's a steep learning curve for Sam as she gets to know her C.O.
Category: Action/Adventure, Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 1
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-04-25

Title: One too many planets (Part 1) Author: Obsessed (Pam) Email: pludolf@emirates.net.ae Category: Angst/Romance Warning: Language Pairing: Jack/Sam Season: 1 Rating: 13+ Summary: It is the early days for SG1 and Sam is learning what it is like to have Colonel Jack O'Neill as her C.O. File size: 141 KB Any and all feedback most welcome.

One too many planets

`Just remind me, Daniel, what this place was like the last time we were here?' Jack pushed the peak of his Air Force issue cap higher up his forehead, his dark eyes behind the shades constantly scanning 360 degrees. His inner warning antennae was sounding its silent alarm while the group, which made up SG1, paused on the medieval style bridge leading into the old walled town.

`A peaceful, feudal society. More concerned with tilling their fields and bringing up their families.....it's strange there's no one in the fields - no animals. I don't understand .....' The younger man's voice trailed off as he reached for his glasses, just about to remove a smudge which had been annoying him when the far too familiar, for his liking, sound of bullets went whizzing past his ear encouraging him to drop swiftly to the wooden floor.

With little in the way of protection all four returned fire though at what or precisely where they knew not. Having ordered a retreat to the Stargate, Jack and the remainder of SG1 scrambled unceremoniously back over the arched wooden structure until Sam's foot caught on an uneven plank and she hurtled forward, hands reaching out to break her fall, only to feel a firm hold taken on the scruff of her jacket followed by a severe yank which for a mere second had her legs flailing in mid-air until she was dropped onto her booted feet.

A gruff command. `Lose the pack!' From the corner of her vision she could see her C.O. glaring at her as he gave her an extra push to propel her forward.

She could never answer as to why she looked back when she did, but on seeing the invisible force lift Jack off his feet and over the parapet she didn't hesitate, simply screaming his name as she followed him into the fast flowing waters below.

The shock of the ice-cold river all but took her breath as she dropped beneath its surface but kicking hard she pushed back up, eyes wide searching for her team mate, frantic to spot him yet aware her own energy was fading fast as her lungs screamed out for air. An urgent pull on her pack suddenly drove her up and her head emerged above water as she gratefully sucked in desperate lungfuls of oxygen, all the while dragged on by the insistent force of the river's current.

Furiously blinking the water out of her eyes she realized she was staring into a pair of black impenetrable ones and spluttered in relief as she realized Jack was holding on to her. Unable to speak they were forced through the foaming rapids barely missing jagged rocks which would have knocked them senseless had they had the misfortune to make contact. Countless times Sam went under but each time an iron hold on her arm heaved her back up, though she had little if no time to dwell on the savage countenance which continued to bore into her.

It seemed to Sam they twisted and turned in the ferocious grip of the river's current for hours but eventually it spat them out like a cork from a champagne bottle into a channel which immediately calmed into a pool of tranquil waters and, exhausted, they dragged themselves on hands and knees from its freezing grip.

Unable to speak, they lay face down, the muscles in their bruised and battered bodies incapable of responding to any electrical impulses from their exhausted brains. It was Jack who first moved, reaching over to push Sam onto her back, or rather onto her backpack. She grimaced as something in the pack dug painfully into her back.

`I thought I told you to get rid of that,' he growled weakly pushing at her pack.

`Sorry sir, .....no time......I saw you get hit and go over, so I followed,' she gasped pushing strands of wet, blonde hair out of her face.

`You wh-at?' he demanded incredulously, unable to believe his ears, his stern face darkening even further as he stared at his 2IC.

`You were hit, weren't you Colonel?' Sam suddenly began to doubt what she'd seen, her large blue eyes moving over him trying to spot an injury.

`Well I didn't choose to take a dive in below zero degrees rapids for the fun of it, Captain' he answered scathingly, `with a backpack to weigh me down like a piece of lead!'

Ducking her blonde head, Sam was reluctant to accept that Jack wasn't actually thanking her for her action. `How's the wound, sir?'

`Fine.'

Ugh oh, not in a talkative mood. `Should I take a look?' she offered hesitantly, hoping to defuse the taut atmosphere.

`No!' he snapped, forcing his aching limbs to move. He groaned quietly and Sam's eyes widened in alarm.

Seeing the look, his tone softened a little as he tried to reassure her, `I'm okay, Carter.' He toggled the radio at his shoulder and spoke into it without success; it was the same with Sam. He continued to look around, attempting to find his bearings in the wilderness of mountains and trees which surrounded them.

`Who do you think was firing on us, Colonel?'

`When I learn that, you'll be the first to know, Carter.'

`We must have traveled miles in the water.' offered Sam.

`Well, it looks like we'll have a nice, Sunday stroll back, doesn't it Captain?'

They tried retracing their steps by keeping as close to the river as was possible, but at times this meant scaling steep, rugged terrain whilst constantly being on guard, but against whom they were unsure.

Eventually, they found a suitably protected area to make camp under a rock face that offered them the possibility of building a fire without the danger of it being spotted. Their clothes were still damp so Sam quickly divested herself of her jacket, hanging it over a tree branch close to the heat.

`Colonel?' She held out her hand to do the same and with more care than normal Jack took off his own vest and jacket, wincing when he inadvertently moved his left side.

`Sir, I think I should take a look. I ----.'

His voice tired, Jack waved a hand in dismissal `I said it's okay, just a graze.'

Instantly Sam leapt up and began rummaging around in her backpack producing the med-kit.

`You'd better have a shot in case of infection.' Jack cringed at her enthusiasm.

Opening it quickly, her voice registered some disappointment. `All but two of the phials are broken.' Carefully, she lifted one out, tearing open a syringe with her teeth and attaching the two parts together. `This should give you some protection until we get back, sir.'

She flicked the syringe with her finger and, satisfied it was ready, turned back to Jack who, with a strained expression, was pushing up the sleeve of his T-shirt.

Sam suddenly looked contrite, a faint blush tingeing her cheeks in the fire's glow.

`Er, in order for it to be quick acting, sir, it needs to go in lower.'

Wary blue eyes watched her C.O.'s look of puzzlement turn quickly to irritation as realization struck home.

`Forget it, Carter.'

`But---.'

`No buts,' and realizing the unintended pun, Jack's mouth turned up slightly and his voice again softened. `The arm'll be just fine - I'm keeping my pants on.'

Knowing further argument would be useless - already in the short time she'd been on his team she'd learnt enough to know when the colonel made up his mind, nothing could alter it -Sam efficiently administered the medication, disposing of the syringe by burying it safely in the ground out of harm's way. Making himself as comfortable as he could on the hard ground, Jack attempted to relax.

We haven't finished just yet. `Sir?' She dropped her eyes to his side causing him to raise his eyebrows in exasperation.

`Oh, for crying out loud. Here!' He jerkily pulled up his navy T-shirt, glaring hard at his persistent 2IC. `Satisfied now, Carter?'

Cranky means pain, lots of pain ; snow will have to fall in the Empty Quarter before he'll ever admit to it. She bent closer, ignoring his sarcasm, her full attention on the wound.

`With respect, sir, I think it's a little more than a graze.' She looked up but just as quickly averted her eyes from his irritable scowl. `I'll need to dress it.' And not daring to wait for permission, she reached into the med-kit for sterile dressings and paused with cream on her finger. She looked again into his black eyes which were now fixed on something past her shoulder.

`This may hurt a little, I'm ----.'

`Get on with it, Carter!'

Okay, his patience isn't that great either.

His sharp intake of breath as she applied the yellow cream to the wound made her hesitate but his curtly whispered words, `Finish it,' through gritted teeth urged her on. Once she'd applied the dressing she sat back on her heels admiring her work. His own caustic look, however, abruptly shattered her satisfaction and Sam quickly put the medical equipment away.

`It's lucky I had the pack, eh, Colonel?'

`Don't push it Captain!'

Mmm, still not forgotten that eh? Sam turned away, a gentle smile playing on her lips.

`What do you think happened to Daniel and Teal'c, Sir?'

`As soon as morning comes, we'll hopefully find that out.'

`If ---.'

`Are you going to talk all night or can I get some sleep?'

Guess that means I take first watch.

Sam was content to take guard duty. She was still running high on adrenalin and reconnoitering their camp's boundaries allowed her to work off some of her tension. By the time she returned to the fire Jack was deep in sleep. A cold wind had begun to rise up so she took her own jacket, which was relatively dry, and covered him with it. She hesitated as she stooped over him, tempted to check the temperature of his forehead but knowing if she woke him he'd give her hell.

Deciding against her medical instincts, instead she added more kindling to the fire, then making herself comfortable against the stone face of the rocks she concentrated on the night sounds around her.

***

`Why didn't you wake me?' Jack was slow to sit up, his stiff side protesting at the movements, rubbing a hand over his stubbled jaw. He looked pale and exhausted to Sam but she knew better than to make any comment.

`I tried, Sir, but the injection must have put you under more than I'd anticipated.'

`Okay, okay.' He sat still for a few seconds longer, eyes closed until Sam pushed a tin mug into his hands.

`Coffee's up, black and sweet - just how you like it.'

`Thanks.' He inhaled deeply savouring the aroma and the warmth. `And thanks for letting me sleep.'

So he hadn't been fooled by the excuse.

He didn't look at Sam as he said it but it still made her pause in what she was doing. It wasn't often the fiery Colonel Jack O'Neill verbalised his appreciation and her brow furrowed in consternation.

`How do you feel?'

He raised bloodshot eyes to hers and gave a slight nod.

Evasive as ever, I see. Well I'm ready for that. `Can I ------?'

He cut her off with an outstretched hand. `Negative - we break camp in five minutes........Ouch! Damn, that hurt!' Jack clutched his buttock glaring accusingly at his 2IC, who was trying her hardest to look contrite as she capped the final painkilling syringe and disposed of it.

She'd decided to spare him the `you were in a lot of pain' explanation knowing it wouldn't go down too well and effected to do a `Janet', hoping her apology would cut her some slack. `Sorry, colonel. It really is more effective if inserted in the butt.'

Knowing she was right didn't make him feel any better. `I don't know what they taught you in officer training, Carter,' he growled, `but pissing off your C.O. isn't the most imaginative way to further your career!'

*** She watched him as unobtrusively as possible, but as their path grew more treacherous it became starkly obvious to Sam that Jack was struggling. His pale, drawn face and laboured breathing were testament enough to the pain he must be in and when Sam retraced her steps for a third time in under an hour, she found him leaning against a tree, shoulders slumped, barely able to stand. As she reached his side the strength in his legs seemed to evaporate and he slowly eased himself to the ground using the trunk to support him from keeling over. Sam dropped to her knees putting her hand to Jack's cheek, a deep frown marring her features.

`You're running a temperature - your wound must be infected. Damn!'

`Easy on the language, Captain.'

Ah, that O'Neill sense of humour kicking in. A faint smile touched her lips.

He accepted the proffered water than allowed his head to fall back against the tree. As Sam moved to check the wound Jack shook his head wearily.

`Help me up.' He held out his hand for assistance.

`You need to rest.'

`Negative - let's get to the Stargate.'

`Sorry, Colonel, but I don't think you're able to cover the terrain the condition you're in.'

She saw the flash of surprise followed by anger in his eyes and braced herself knowing she was about to be on the receiving end of the infamous O'Neill pissed mode.

Pushing his shoulders away from the trunk's welcome support he pierced her with an icy glare. Through his splitting headache he communicated his displeasure with biting sarcasm. `Did I miss something while I was sleeping?.....Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, Captain,' and here he laid great emphasis on her rank, ` but I seem to recall that when I went to sleep last night I was a full colonel in the U.S. Air Force.' His tone had hardened though the effort to maintain how disgruntled he was, was costing him in terms of energy.

`With respect, Sir,' and now Sam could feel a hot burst of colour rising in her cheeks, `you are sick. Under such conditions I feel impelled to take over.'

`Impelled do you?' His outrage was evident , his flushed features contorting in pain as he attempted to rise, without success. `What the hell gives you the right to disobey my direct order?' he spat viciously.

Sam flinched at his words but she would not be swayed. `I need to find somewhere safe where I can see to your wound, hopefully find someone, a doctor who can ----.'

`Oh, why don't you call nine one one?' he demanded sarcastically, flinging his arm out to the wilderness. If it was possible, his hard ass act got even harder. `Let me tell you, Carter, your feet won't touch the floor when we get back to the SGC and I'm `impelled' to put you on report.'

Staring down at him resignedly she shrugged. `You do what you have to do, Sir.' And I'll do what I have to. And that means saving your life, no matter how pissy you are.

Refusing to back down from the grim scowl being thrown at her, her attention was drawn away by the deep rumbling coming from the overcast heavens. Casting her eyes up, she became aware of the sweeping black clouds scudding across the sky threatening to rain down torrents in no time.

`We've got to find shelter and that means going west.'

`The Stargate's north,' he countered defensively.

`I know, Sir and for what it's worth, I'm sorry.' She bent over, gently taking his good arm and pushing her own arm behind his back, under his shoulder she steadied him. Now is not the time to throw a tantrum. `On the count of three: one, two, three.'

*** Over the next few hours Sam cajoled and sometimes cursed her C.O. to keep him going.

No one gets left behind, sir. You should know that!

And once the rain did come she turned a deaf ear to his orders and finally his curses to go on without him. She turned deaf ears to his entreaties and threats, colourful as they were, but she had to admit, as her screaming muscles protested the abuse, she was close, so very close to sinking down in the stinking mud beside him, allowing exhaustion to push her over into welcome oblivion.

It was just at that moment when her stubborn resolve began to waver that they literally stumbled into the wall of the well, both of them leaning over the ledge, gasping from their exertions. Lifting her tired eyes she could just make out the crude stone building almost hidden by the torrential rain. She turned to look at her C.O. , head bowed, eyes closed, face contorted into a grimace of pain.

He's far too pale. `One last effort, Sir, just one, please. I can see some shelter.' Not waiting for any response she took his arm over her shoulder once more ignoring his grunt of pain and they half staggered and stumbled to the solid wooden door. Unable to use a hand Sam kicked at it with her foot too relieved when it opened to worry that no one appeared to be inside.

A quick glance round taking in the simple features of the cottage until her eyes alighted on the pallet in the far corner. As she lowered him onto the blankets Jack groaned through gritted teeth. `Easy does it, Colonel. We can rest now.' She allowed herself the luxury of a minute's rest then with a sigh of exhaustion pushed herself off the edge of the pallet. Reaching down she pulled off Jack's boots gently bringing his legs up on the bed then carefully she undid the buttons of his vest and jacket easing them off his body.

She could feel the heat reflected from his body through his clothes aware he was shivering even as his body boiled. `We've got to get you out of these clothes, Sir, they're sodden.' Having discarded her own jacket she moved to work on Jack's belt buckle only to find her hands swatted away.

`Go see to yourself, Captain.'

Annoyed, she stared into fever bright eyes which stared at her determinedly.

`Sir, you've -----.'

As a sudden gust of wind entered through the now open doorway a firm voice spoke softly but clearly. `He is perfectly right, child.'

Holy Hannah! Spinning away from the bed, Sam's hand automatically reached for her P90 aware that Jack had also attempted the same move but had collapsed back onto the blankets as waves of agony shot through his injured side. Vaguely aware of him uttering expletives her attention focused on the figure by the door and her movements stilled as she realized the rather stern voice belonged to a middle-aged woman, her iron grey hair pulled tightly into a severe bun, her short, stocky body covered in a simple blue shift. The stranger throw off her outer garments and moved purposely over to Jack's side, ignoring his unconcealed hostility which was turned on her with full force, stooping to put a hand to his forehead. He pulled away but the woman hardly appeared to notice.

`Why is he burning up?' Her tone of voice demanded an answer and Sam, much to her surprise and Jack's irritation, found herself explaining.

None too gently she lifted up Jack's T-shirt and began to feel around the wound causing the injured man's already pale features to whiten as he twisted trying to escape the agonizing examination. When she eventually stepped back Jack exhaled in painful relief.

`How did this happen?' and then realizing that time was important, `Tell me later. I will try to help him, but the Shaman may have to be called.'

`Shaman?' Sam was clearly relieved that she had found help but Jack's distress was keenly apparent as his dark eyes blazed with uncontrolled hostility. Mustering all his energy he pushed himself up on his elbow growling weakly, `Hey, I'm here too, you know. I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk over me.'

Silver grey eyes bored into him. `Is he always so peevish, or is it the wound and fever which cause this?'

You really don't want to know. Sam's silence spoke volumes and the grey-haired woman's eyes rose to the ceiling.

`Look, I'm sorry we entered your home uninvited, but the ----.'

`It is of no consequence,' the older woman answered brushing aside Sam's attempts at apology. `My name is Ragnar.' She smiled for the first time and appeared twenty years younger. Sam's own mother curled in copy.

`I'm Captain Samantha Carter and this is -----.'

`Jack O'Neill - Colonel.' He had no intention, sick or not, to be ignored. All the same, he was forced to sink back onto the bed curling up in an effort to ease the stabbing pain shooting through his side.

`Enough of the pleasantries - you will both be requiring the Shaman if you do not remove those dripping clothes.' She pointed to another door. `Through there you will find fresh clothing.'

Worried blue eyes fixed on the figure on the bed. `But the Colonel ----.'

`I will see to Jack O'Neill, Colonel.' And Ragnar turned cool grey eyes on the man, refusing to be intimidated by his black looks.

`I can take care of myself ladies, just ----.'

`Save your energy, you are going to need it.'

And with intense relief Sam acknowledged to herself that she was all too ready to hand over responsibility of her sick and injured C.O. to someone else and hurriedly moved to the other door. As she opened it she smiled ruefully as Jack vehemently protested Ragnar's assistance and closed her ears and the door to Jack's calling of her own name.

***

Feigning ignorance of the skirmish that had taken places between her C.O. and the healing woman, Sam tried to ignore the disapproving look she was given as she reappeared in a simple dress similar to the one worn by Ragnar, but Jack's weak yet caustic tone left her under no illusions as to the mood he was in.

While taking off her soaking clothes, she'd heard enough through the closed door to wonder whether or not Ragnar would be able to handle a sick and ill tempered O'Neill. She'd actually cringed as she listened to the colonel's indignant yell, `Hey, get the hell off of those!' to be instantly followed by the unmistakable sound of a firm hand making contact with flesh, followed by a muffled `Ouch!' And Sam decided her musings had been answered; it seemed Ragnar could handle herself and the colonel very well indeed.

She had shaken her head wearily, the hint of a smile on her lips and accepted that if she were perfectly honest with herself there had been a time or two or maybe even three or four - no disloyalty intended - when she had felt her hand itching to do exactly what it seemed Ragnar had wasted no time in doing. Still, from a self-preservation point of view she had decided that it would probably be a good idea if she took her time changing and going back into the room.

***

`Carter! Here! Now!'

She threw Ragnar a look which, had Jack been fully aware, would have had him disciplining his 2IC with the most demeaning tasks he could think of for the next twelve months. Ragnar, though, had her back to them busily throwing Jack's soaking uniform over a rack for drying. Approaching the side of his bed aware that he had been forcibly divest of his clothes and placed beneath fresh blankets, Sam now gave her full attention to her C.O.

`How are you feeling, Sir?'

`What the hell do you think?' he croaked peevishly, his eyes full of reproach until he turned to hurl invisible daggers towards the elder woman. `Just keep her away from me. Is that clear?'

Sam glanced over her shoulder, a concerned look on her face. `Sir, she seems to know what she's -----.'

`Don't give me that crap, Carter,' his voice, though weak, began to rise in frustration.

`Give me those, please.' Sam jumped as Ragnar relieved her of her own wet clothes she was holding, returning to the rack.

Jack lay back on the bed, miserably aware of his naked state and feeling suitably defenseless other than the sidearm he kept beside his right hand.

`I need to get out of here,' he muttered to himself unaware that Ragnar had come within earshot again but she had no compunction in letting him know she had heard. She snorted derisively and bent low over the bed, her face mere inches from his own.

`And how do you think you will achieve that, Jack O'Neill, Colonel?' Her grey eyes raked him witheringly. `Take a look at his wound,' she advised Sam pointedly, her eyes never leaving Jack's flushed face and before he could protest she tugged the covers to his waist. Sam gasped as she saw the dressing she had put on earlier covered in blood and a distinct inflammation spreading beyond the borders of the bloody dressing.

`God, it's much worse,' she gasped, her own face paling in distress. She stared into Jack's shadowed eyes and moved to check his forehead not surprised when he jerked away irritably.

`For crying out loud, Major, stop hovering and can the mother hen routine.'

Ragnar's own eyes narrowed. `It is good he has such spirit, but it must be channeled for greater things than his arrogant stupidity.'

Too weak to answer, Jack was forced to listen to her censure waiting for his 2IC to rise to his support. He continued to wait. None was forthcoming.

`I'm not sure why,' Ragnar spoke coldly, `but I have a mind to save this insolent pup's life. I will enjoy the challenge.' And she returned Jack's glare. `First I must search for herbs - healing herbs - some for the wound, some for the inner body. You, throw wood,' indicating to Sam a pile near the outer door, ` on the fire - fetch water from the well and heat it, lots. I will need lots. When the water boils, bathe the wound.' As she spoke she began to put on a thick cape and finishing she threw some ropes to Sam.

Looking perplexed, Sam asked, `What are these for?'

Ragnar turned back, her features devoid of expression. `Bind him to the bed - the pain will be too intense.' And without another word she stepped out into the storm banging the door shut behind her.

Sam's appalled gaze was riveted on the closed door until a weak, breathless voice brought her back to the present.

`Get me my clothes,' and seeing the stubborn set to her face, `that's an order, Major,' he snapped with weak determination.

`Ragnar's right, sir, if she doesn't treat you then ......,' she allowed the words to trail away.

The lines of pain around Jack's mouth seemed to grow deeper with every passing moment. `Carter, I'm giving you a direct order, goddammit. If you don't -----.' And attempting to sit up he sucked in a sharp breath, turning grey from the pain and exhaustion as the blood drained from his face. He fell back on the bed, frustrated by his weakness, clenching the sheet as he fought to control the agony raging in his side. In the end he had no energy to move away when Sam's cool hand lay against his forehead and he had no strength as his body slipped into darkness.

***

He screamed, trying to writhe away from the burning torture, struggling to break free from the iron grip he was held in, dreaming that Apophis was crushing him in a vice-like hold. He was vaguely aware of a voice he knew calling to him and as he pushed the black veil aside to greet consciousness, it merely served to change one nightmare for another as Sam replaced one cloth with another. Again he cried out jerking on his restraints only now realizing they were ropes which bound him by each wrist to the bed.

Half crazed, bloodshot eyes glared up at her glassily.

`Wha' the hell?'

`I'm sorry sir,' Sam was almost crying as she lifted up the cloth from his wound as Ragnar had instructed her. In anguish she watched beads of sweat pour down his gaunt face as he tried to bite back a sob.

`Let me loose,' he gasped and seeing the look in his eyes Sam reluctantly reached up and freed him from the bonds.

`Can you cope?'

`Get on with it!' he muttered, his jaw locked in grim resignation.

His hands, now free, clenched the covers, his head striking the base of the bed as he tried to control the waves of pain which washed over him threatening to bring up every morsel which still remained in his stomach.

`Are you done?' he cried as Sam rinsed the cloth once more in the still burning water. She winced as her own hands burned painfully and then laying the material against him once more, she watched in anguish as Jack writhed on the bed.

`Just one more ----.'

`No! It's enough Carter!' Then more weakly, `Enough.' He lay back, one arm covering his eyes the other clenched around the sheet, trying to control his erratic breathing. He stiffened as he saw her approach him with yet another cloth in her hand.

Aghast, she cried, `No, it's a cool cloth. I'm just going to wipe your face.' Gently, she passed the soft cloth over his face ridding him of the sweat, tears and mucus which had all mingled on his clammy skin, then rinsing it in cool water she again passed it over his neck and shoulders, relieved that her actions seemed to bring Jack some ease from his torment. Aware that he was staring at her intently she smiled down at him.

`When Ragnar returns ----.'

The spell of tranquility was instantly broken with the mention of the name and a deep frown cut across Jack's features as he growled, `I don't want ----.'

His words were cut off mid-steam as the door was suddenly thrown open - Ragnar and a rush of bitter cold wind and rain following her in. She fought the door closed then turned back to the pair.

`What doesn't he want?' she demanded of Sam, throwing off her soaking cape.

`Why not ask me?' Jack challenged weakly.

Ragnar stared for a moment then seemed to dismiss him in the next second.

`Did you do as I asked?' and seeing the bloody water in the bowls she nodded in satisfaction.

`It caused him too much pain,' Sam explained trying hard not to picture Jack's face as she'd applied the boiling cloth to his wound.

The other woman snorted, her grey eyes flashing fire. `When men start to bear children, then and only then will I acknowledge that fact. Now come here, child. Wash these plants carefully. This one needs to be crushed with a pestle and mortar and then mixed with this liquid. The other I will prepare myself.' And still ignoring Jack, Ragnar immediately turned to preparing the medication her patient would need. Every so often she gave Sam further instructions until, eventually, pleased, she turned to Jack who had curled up into a fetal ball hardly daring to watch what the two women were doing.

`This,' indicating Ragnar's own bowl, `is to be applied to the wound every day. It must be done after the cleansing.'

`Wha - at?' Same looked aghast.

`No way in hell!' objected Jack just as violently.

Ragnar put the bowl down and sat on Jack's bed examining the wound, poking and prodding, paying no attention to either their words or Jack's discomfort.

`Watch carefully, Samantha, You may have to do this tomorrow if I am called away.'

In fascinated horror Sam watched as the older woman used her fingers to spread the ointment over the deep wound, pushing it into the gash quickly and expertly. And again Jack found himself fighting to gain control of the lancing pain which coursed through every vein in his body.

`Enjoying yourself?' he rasped out, refusing to give the woman the satisfaction of hearing him cry out, but it cost him dearly as his vision tunneled and consciousness faded away.

Sam noticed that only when he blacked out did Ragnar's expression soften and then she stretched out a gentle hand brushing Jack's grey hair away from his sweat slickened forehead.

`Can you hold him up while I bind his wound. And noticing the washed strips of linen that were to be used Sam proffered her own sterile dressings which Ragnar admired as she speedily applied them.

`From where did you acquire these, they are strange yet wonderful? Fingering Jack's dressing with a featherlike touch, she lay him back carefully on the bed.

`Where we come from these are used all the time in hospitals and ------.'

`Hospitals? What are these hospitals you speak of?

`They're special places where we take our sick to get them better.'

Nodding, Ragnar now turned her hand to another concoction. `This is a herbal drink to be consumed by our sick one. When he wakes ensure he drinks at least one cup each time.'

Please tell me that it's going to have a heavenly taste and he'll just love it. And looking into the older woman's grey eyes Sam's insides sank with the knowledge that it would be vile and no way on earth or this plant was the colonel going to drink the stuff.

Seeing the dismay on her young face Ragnar explained, `It will bring down his fever.' And reaching behind his head Ragnar carefully lifted him and put the cup to his lips. As the first drops reached his mouth, even unconscious he knew enough to reject the ghastly tasting liquid spitting it out and twisting his head away but the older woman proved adept at anticipating his every move, her patience eventually paying off when finally, she was able to allow Jack to lay back, the cup all but empty with most of it down the patient's throat.

Putting her hand to his forehead once more she continued, `I would expect his fever to fall within the next hour and if we are lucky it will stay that way. He will sleep many hours and so, now, I think you must sleep too.'

`No, no, I can't do that, I'll watch the colonel.'

`Your Jack O'Neill, Colonel will sleep deeply. There is no point when you are so weary to be with him. Have no fear, I will watch over him while you rest.'

***

Sam slept the sleep of the innocents, too exhausted to even recall any dreams she may have had, and only awoke when Ragnar came into the room with hot water for her personal washing and her own dry clothes. She sat up, instantly awake, her concern for Jack foremost in her mind.

`How's the colonel?' she demanded rubbing her face to force herself to come fully awake.

`Awake and dressing.'

Sam looked up sharply and noticed for the first time anxiety in the eyes of Ragnar. `Metal warriors with serpent's heads are moving through our lands again.'

`The Goa'uld!....We knew something was different when we got here but we didn't know it was them. What's -----.'

`There is no time for talk, your mate is right -----.'

`Mate?' Sam's voice and expression registered incredulity.

`Jack O'Neill, Colonel understands the import and -----.'

Sam could not help herself and had to interrupt again. `Look, Ragnar, he's not my ----.'

`Later, we'll discuss everything later. They are not far behind, we must leave here. Now!'

Within minutes they were on the move, Ragnar leading them into the thick woods and well away from the tracks more frequently used by travelers. Raising her eyes to the grey skies, Sam whispered a silent prayer that the elements were not against them this day. Now her eyes were glued to Jack who moved with weak determination through the thick growth. Eventually Sam had to take the lead to slash away at the dense foliage blocking their way, saving her C.O. from the more strenuous activity. Still she noticed signs that he was not faring well though he himself spoke no words to indicate this.

`We'll stop for a break.'

Jack did not bother to raise his head. `Keep moving,' he muttered.

Sam met Ragnar's eyes hoping for support.

`I know a good place just a little further,' said the older woman, rummaging in her large tote bag. She produced a brown looking leaf and held it out to O'Neal. `Here, chew on this.'

Jack drew away from the offering eyeing it suspiciously, but Ragnar was insistent and pushed it between his lips. `It will allow your body relief from its exertions even as you carry them out. Dare to discard that and you will feel the bite of my companion.' Sam's eyes widened in alarm as Ragnar waved her walking stick under Jack's nose eliciting a roll of dark, brown eyes. Chew!' She watched Jack closely to ensure he did not spit her precious medicine out.

As realization hit her, Sam's eyes grew even larger and the hint of a smile touched her lips. `Col., I think you've just been given the equivalent of cannabis.'

Jack chewed, vaguely, aware of a lightening effect on his body and a lessening of the cutting pain in his side.

`Just don't expect me to roll you a joint when we get to this place.'

Used to his dry sense of humour, Sam's smile grew.

They had to cross many paths as they followed Ragnar and, at those times, they were extra cautious. Twice they had seen troops of Goa'uld marching in formation and stayed well hidden beneath the undergrowth until the way was clear for them to cross.

Having learned from Ragnar that they had come for slaves to work the mines in some faraway place, it was imperative that their presence be well hidden at all cost.

She would never have spotted the hidden entrance if she hadn't been following Ragnar. It was so well concealed by sharp thronged bushes and trees that, for a moment, she wondered why Ragnar was so intent on taking such an arduous route. Carefully, the blue smocked woman used a broken branch to sweep away their footprints, erasing all evidence of their destination behind the thick growth.

The cold, dark, dripping walls of the tunnel were a welcome relief after the humid heat and, eventually they gave way to a small cave, with a labyrinth of tunnels leading off. They followed Ragnar as best they could, stumbling in the dark and then, suddenly, the elder woman was heard striking a flint and a torch of flames was lit revealing yet another cave-like room. This particular one had the appearance of being lived in; there were pallets with blankets laid out against one side and barrels of various sizes on the opposite wall.

As Ragnar lit more torches around the cavernous walls, Sam turned back to Jack alarmed at his flushed features and carefully led him over to one of the pallets feeling the clamminess of his skin beneath her fingers.

As she helped him lie down she offered words of encouragement with softly spoken words, `Take a rest, sir. Sleep now and you'll soon start to feel better.'

He sank down with a half repressed groan escaping his lips, too tired to even remove his none military issue forage cap. Sam did the honours then pulled some blankets over him as he closed his eyes on the rest of the world..

`Give me half an hour,' he muttered and passed out.

Aware that Ragnar was moving purposely round the cave, Sam turned her attention reluctantly to the woman who was looking in barrels and closed jars.

`No one has been here for some time - I had been hoping others would have sought sanctuary here. The serpents must have taken so many.' Her voice sounded despondent - the first time Sam has seen her reveal such negative thoughts. She nodded her head in Jack's direction.

`How is he?'

Sam's brow furrowed in concern. `Not good. I'm to wake him in a little while. He'll want to go over our position and will reconnoiter this place.

`Do you doubt I would bring you to this place if it were not safe?' Ragnar demanded crossly, throwing up her head in disgust. `No serpents know of this place - there is no need for your - what is the word? - reconnoiter. Nor will he be in a fit state to do such a thing.' Again, Ragnar shook her head at Sam so that the younger woman ducked her head as if back at school, being given a stern rebuke by a disgruntled mistress.

`We don't doubt your word, Ragnar, please don't misunderstand us. It's just... it's our way. It's how we do things.'

`Do things. Hah! For such a people with advanced healing dressings, you are very slow in understanding your bodies' needs.'

And throwing off her cape, she lay it carefully down beside her bag.

`Your mate is to rest - if his body is to heal he must have respite.'

Not that again! Once more Sam's brows rose high when she heard how Ragnar referred to Jack.

`Ragnar, please, he is not my mate, I don't ----.'

`You have no feelings for him?' Ragnar stopped emptying her bag, her grey eyes boring into Sam who could feel the blood rising in her face.

`No, I...I mean yes, but it isn't ------.' Oh God!!!

`Enough!' sighed Ragnar, `I have no time for your play of words. I see what I see - it tells me all I need to know.'

Sam blinked in astonishment for the moment lost for words.

`I will make him comfortable and then I will try and find the Shaman.'

`Shaman? Who is this Shaman?'

`Our healer. This journey has drained your m------an.'

Sam could see Ragnar was quite pleased with her correction though to Sam it implied very much the same connotation. She frowned but did not feel she could correct Ragnar again, and left it at that, concentrating now on finding out more on this healer.

`I do not know if my healing ways will be enough. We will see, but,' and now Ragnar's features visibly brightened, `we have the healing waters.' She stooped over the recumbent figure, touched his forehead once more and straightened, rubbing her back and sighing.

`Healing waters?' She knew she sounded skeptical and wondered if she was getting too much like her C.O.

`Yes, come while he sleeps, I will show you.'

Taking one of the lit torches, Ragnar led Sam deeper within the maze of tunnels, never hesitating when the way diverged into two or three paths. Eventually Sam could hear a force of water falling, the sound echoing like an ocean's tide just as they entered another cavern where one side appeared to be a waterfall.

`It's amazing!' Sam stood still staring up trying to see where the water was coming from and to where it was escaping.

Ragnar had already started filling some pots and passed two to Sam to help carry.

`Hmm, it's good,' Sam brushed at the drops dripping from her chin.

`Of course - it is holy.......Now come, before your O'Neill awakes and loses himself in this place.'

The thought had the effect of making Sam's face fall and she quickly followed, urging Ragnar on when she'd caught her up. Her relief was evident when she set eyes on her C.O. even though he had awoken and started to explore the cave he was in.

When he turned away from the barrels he'd been examining to face them his voice sounded weak and petulant even to his own ears. `Where've you two been?'

`Reconnoitering,' answered Ragnar rather proudly - the new vocabulary tripping off her tongue. `And you shouldn't be on your feet.'

His eyes narrowed and his lips tightened as he stared at Sam not registering the older woman's words, so once Ragnar had relieved herself of the bowls she turned back to Jack with a determined glint in her eyes which made the colonel hesitate for just a second before he addressed his 2IC.

`What are our options, Captain?' He tried ignoring the resolute woman standing before him but she took a firm grip on his elbow and led him back to the makeshift bed.

`Your options,' replied Ragnar, giving Sam no chance to speak, `are to do as you are told. You will lie down and rest,' she ordered sternly, her exasperation beginning to show.

Ignoring her orders, Jack attempted to shrug out of her hold turning back to Sam. `I asked you a question, Captain.' His voice had taken on a cld edge but it was as if Ragnar had never heard him speak.

Gently she tugged on his jacket lapel. `Why don't you lie down before you fall down, my son?'

Rubbing a hand across his stubbled jaw, Jack willed himself to stay on his feet, irritation clear on his face. `One, I'll decide when I'm ready to rest and two, I'm not your son!' He knew he was being juvenile but was too tired and in too much pain to care very much.

`Is your mate always this difficult and disobedient?'

`Excuse me?' Jack's raised brow would have done Teal'c justice as he turned from Ragnar back to Sam. `What did she say?'

Oh no. `Colonel, I think-------.' Sam was desperate to change the subject and would dearly have wished to be anywhere but where she was right now, but Ragnar gave her no further chance.

`You commitment to your duty is commendable, Jack O'Neill, Colonel, but I believe your mother, if no one else,' and here she looked pointedly at Sam, `would approve my tenacity.'

And without hesitation she gave the injured man a slight push which, under normal circumstances, would have had little or no effect, but in his weakened condition he was poleaxed.

He cursed heavily under his breath, disgusted by his own weakness, as Ragnar dropped to her knees beside him.

`You have no need to hold back O'Neill. I've heard far worse from the mouths of females about to give birth.'

Ignoring his pain and not unhappy to teach him a lesson, she raised Jack's shirt and ripped off the dressing paying no attention to his hissing protest.

`If you insist on acting like a child I'll have no hesitation in treating you like one - as you should know well,' she whispered, suitably pleased to see his eyes widen warily. Even so it didn't prevent him attempting to sit up; Ragnar pushed him firmly back, snorting in exasperation and mumbling under her breath about ill disciplined men with more brawn than brains.

Her hands, however, were gentle as she inspected his side and when she'd finished she lay a hand on his forehead and cheeks wiping away his sweat and tears.

Kneeling next to Ragnar, Sam had watched her every move and having taken hold of one of Jack's clenched hands she bit her lower lip to stop herself crying out so hard was the intensity of the man's grip. She took over bathing Jack's face once Ragnar had finished and Jack had relinquished his hold.

`We must repeat the cleaning using the water we've collected, and I must make a new mixture for him to take.'

Jack shook his head weakly from side to side, unable to contemplate again the horrors of the treatment Ragnar was suggesting.

Later, when it was finished, Jack lay in an exhausted daze, barely aware that Sam was using water to cool his fevered both. As the interminable hours passed, he thrashed from side to side, crying out incoherently while at other periods he lay quietly, sometimes aware of where he was and who he was with. At these times Sam took the opportunity to coax and wheedle the patient into drinking as much water as he could face.

After one such effort he lay back holding up both hands, palms out in submission. `Enough......are you trying to drown me, Carter?'

She smiled at his attempt at a joke, stroking his forehead as if seeking her own comfort.

"It's holy water, Colonel," and seeing his expression she dropped her gaze. Feeling a little contrite he attempted to make amends.

"Whatever it takes, eh Sam?"

Blue eyes raised to brown, Sam keenly aware he'd used her first name, something Jack rarely did. She gave him a winning smile.

"I wonder if you can clear something that's been niggling me."

Please don't let it be what I think it is. Sam could feel the blood rushing to her face and prayed that the light from the torches kept her features in shadow. "Sir, I...I think you should rest now, you don't want to ---."

"Did I hear correctly when Ragnar referred to me as your mate?"

Sam kept her head down, trying to conceal her dolour and the fact that she found this conversation intensely uncomfortable.

"I think....I mean....I...I'm sure," she stammered, increasingly vexed with herself that she was unable to present a cool, poised exterior , "Ragnar used the term simply to imply friendship, sir."

"Did she now?" Jack's tone clearly thought otherwise. "Talking of the devil....." Jack's eyes roamed around the cave.

"She's gone to find the Shaman."

"Wha-at?" Jack, his face darkening with undisguised anger, struggled painfully to sit up. "You let her go along?" he accused curtly.

"I couldn't---."

"You couldn't what, Captain?" he snapped, his eyes flaying her. "And don't let me hear that it was on my account!"

Jack knew he was being a bastard but his irritation at his own weakness uncharacteristically made him lash out at the last person he would want to.

Stiffening, Sam wiped all emotion from her face as she too realized how unjust was her C.O.s stinging retort.

"No, sir!"

"No, sir, what?" he growled, unwilling to let it go at that and as she remained silent he continued, "Can you tell me why you allowed that woman to leave here alone?"

The frigid silence was broken suddenly by Ragnar's soft voice cutting through the air like a knife, startling them both.

"Why do you not tell him?"

Turning to her, Sam's expressive eyes implored her to silence, but the older woman chose to ignore it.

"O'Neill, I do not know how you inspire such loyalty in this woman when, from what I observe, you treat her with such disdain."

"Tell me what?" he demanded scowling.

"For the last few hours your fever has soared and plummeted at an alarming rate. When it abates, as now, you are quite lucid though you appear to have now recollection of those times when your body burned like a fire."

Jack's expression remained blank though he noted Sam grow more distressed with every spoken word.

"Ragnar, please!"

"Enough is enough child. His churlishness to me is irrelevant but when I see you treated with such a lack of respect, then I must speak." And Ragnar turned back to look down on the injured man, her green eyes flashing dangerously. "When you burn she has to hold you down, and when she is not holding you down, she is bathing you constantly. When you cry out, she holds you, when you weep she cradles you in her arms and wipes away your tears, and when you curse her for her tireless ministrations she watches over you even closer."

Turning her back, Sam could not bring herself to look at Jack as Ragnar relayed all this information, rather she hung her head and stared at her hands.

"And you!" continued Ragnar coldly coming to stand over the pallet making Jack squirm and wish she'd never begun, "What did you expect? That she would do nothing to help you?" she demanded scornfully. "I will ask you one question and only one - would you have done any differently if roles had been reversed?" She was ready when he tried to turn away and bent gripping his chin, forcing him to look at her. "Well?"

Aware that the bright colour on his cheeks had little to do with his fever, Jack mumbled something under his breath relieved when he was able to wrest himself free.

Ragnar pounced on his words. "Louder, O'Neill, my hearing is now what it used to be."

Jack glared but the grey haired woman refused to look away.

"I said `no'," he shouted. "Is that loud enough?"

Turning away to Sam she replied calmly, "It is sufficient." Tired from his exertaions, Jack was forced to lie back desperately aware that the fever in his body was beginning to rise yet again. He tried reaching for the water but upturned the container and was forced, through weakness, to fall helplessly back on the pallet.

Hearing the clatter of the fallig bowl, Sam turned and made to go to Jack's side, but Ragnar put out a restraining hand.

"I think it is your turn to rest, child. He has had too much of your attention - let him be satisfied with mine." And seeing her hesitation, Ragnar coaxed, "Go and rest, we have important things to do all too soon."

When Ragnar knelt next to Jack and cradled his head he drank copiously then lay back trying to fight the dizziness and utter weakness which attacked him so virulently. He felt a cool cloth on his forehead and opened weary, pain-filled eyes.

"Try and rest too, O'Neill. Soon we will bring the Shaman."

His throat was burning as he tried speaking. "Where?"

Ragnar's own eyes darkened ominously. "The lizard people have her."

His brain was having difficulty focusing on the problem but he knew there was something not right though he couldn't put his thoughts coherently in order. He felt himself drifting off trying to solve the dilemma and fought against the overwhelming powers of his illness. His last clear thought was of Sam in her combat gear, ready to go on a mission - going without him. He tried reaching out desperately for her, calling her name over and over.

***

He couldn't tell whether he was dreaming or not when he next opened his eyes and saw his 2IC in combat fatigues. Her face was stained for night operations and she was checking her weapons.

"Carter?" He grimaced at the depth of weakness in his voice.

She looked up startled, al almost gu9lty expression quickly replaced by one he couldn't work out.

"What's going on?"

Ragnar was quickly at his side proferring a bowl of honeyed meade but Jack drew his head away, aware that this was one concoction which enforced a drug induced sleep. He needed information and wasn't about to allow himself to be drugged.

"Captain, I'm waiting for an answer."

Knowing Sam would never refuse to answer Ragnar attempted to intervene, but Sam waved her away, her eyes fixed on her C.O.

"Sir, you're sick - you're very sick. Ragnar informs me that the Shaman can cure you - we're not having much success, even with the holy water. I'm going to find her and bring her back here."

Weak as he was, his eyes radiated their owner's anger. "And just how the hell do you intend doing that, Captain?"

The sarcasm was all too evident but Sam chose to ignore it and enthusiastically outlined her plan of action. The more Jack heard, the more his heart plummeted, so much that, in the end, he wished he had been having a nightmare.

"And let me ask you," his sarcasm had gone up a notch or two, "just let's imagine that your little scenario doesn't quite pan out the way you've planned - what back up do you have?" Jack's last words were fired at her with high velocity and she blinked in consternation.

"Sir, there's no back up but I have no choice."

`Like hell you do!"

`With respect, sir, if I don't get this Shaman to you," and here she paused uncomfortable to continue.

Jack would have liked to use his cutting military authority to force Sam to back down, but that stubborn look in her eyes troubled him more than he liked to admit and a decided a change of tactics was required.

The hard edge to his voice was replaced by one far more amenable, calling on Sam to use her judgment. "Sam, think straight here. You'll be going on a suicide mission if you go alone."

"But she's not going alone - I will accompany your mate."

Jack raised his eyes as if to the heavens and slowly shook his head, a pained expression which had nothing to do with his injuries, crossing his features. "And that's supposed to make me feel better?" he muttered dryly.

"It's all we've got, sir."

"No, it isn't!" he shot back.

As realization hit her, Sam's eyes widened in alarm and she began shaking her head. "No way, sir. We're trying to keep you alive until---."

"Listen to me - you need back up. I know what I'm talking about and you know it," he challenged.

"You'll never make it to the Gould camp," she countered, accepting that what her C.O. said made absolute sense but finding no way round it.

"I can with some of those leave of yours." And now Jack was addressing Ragnar.

"You don't know what you are asking."

"They helped me get here."

"You don't understand. The leaf causes a terrible craving. To take more than one or two is extreme folly and not even the Shaman can ease the deep need."

"I'm willing to take that chance."

Ragnar's hesitation encouraged Jack to push himself up, however Sam's firm "Well I'm not!" had him closing his eyes, a little voice within him warning him to contain his frustration.

"Captain, I'm not ordering you, I'm asking you - please.........Sam?"

She'd heard that tone before when he was trying to get Janet to agree to an early release from the infirmary, but he'd never used it on her and she tried to close her ears to the Pied Piper tone of his voice.

"Let me at least try - if it gets too much, I promise I'll fall back and leave you to it."

Sam stared at his suspiciously and Jack had the grace to look sheepish.

Ragnar, having listened and watched the two, now stepped forward. "It makes sense - sick or not, you mate's thoughts are clear."

"He's not my mate! She snapped, her annoyance plain to hear, though Ragnar felt it was more for O'Neill's benefit than for her.

"His fever has just fallen - that allows possibly two or three hours of clear thought before the fever re-establishes itself."

Trying hard to curtail his impatience and the fact that he was being talked over, Jack knew that if he allowed his temper to get the better of him he could well lose all chance of persuading the two women to come round to his idea. Strangely enough, he felt Ragnar was more amenable to his plan - it now rested with Sam and he wasn't sure if he had what it took to get her on his side.

Throwing the blanket off he willed his legs to support him as he pushed himself up. "See," he forced a smile though he was hurting, attempting to appear confident and relaxed.

Sam's jaundiced eyes observed him coolly. "Stop faking it, Colonel."

Jack's smile faded and he allowed himself a simply shrug, as if to say `what else can I do?'

***

By the time they were ready for departure, Jack was having to grit his teeth as much from the fuss being made over him as the pain from his wound.

Yet again Sam approached, her hand automatically reaching out to feel his forehead, but it was just once too often.

"For crying out loud, will you stop doing that!" he snapped, his outburst making Sam jump back in alarm.

Too late, he realized his mistake. `Shit.'

Ragnar's eyes narrowed menacingly as she came face to face with him. "If you don't want me to put you back in your bed right now, O'Neill, you will accord Samantha some courtesy!"

Jack's eyes glared darkly; he was ready for battle, but he did not want the fight to be against Ragner - he was under no illusions as to who would be the victor. Dropping he eyes, he mumbled a few words only to have the older woman rap him none too gently on the thigh with her long walking stick.

"Ouch! I said I apologise!" and seeing Ragnar did not comprehend his choice of words, Jack continued hastily, "That means I accord her respect, lots of respect!"

Sam eyed Ragnar's stick worriedly, particularly when she could hear the sarcasm in Jack's voice, but fortunately for Jack, it appeared sarcasm was unfamiliar to Ragnar and she accepted the words at face value. Only as they were leaving the cave did Jack lean close to Sam and whisper softly in her ear, "When we get back Carter, you and I are going to have a long talk on a number of issues." She winced at the implied threat. "Understood, Captain?"

"Understood, sir."

***

It was surprising to Sam how lax the Goa'uld appeared as they observed them from their vantage point high above their encampment. Ragnar had explained that as their people were so peaceful (and here Jack had snorted throwing her a disbelieving glare as he rubbed his bruised thigh to which she had swiftly retorted, "Disobedient children sometimes need a gentle reminder.") there was little need for high security but both Sam and Jack put it down to a possible renegade group lacking a powerful leader.

Still trying to hide her smile at Ragnar's words from Jack, she whispered, "You're sure the Shaman is held there?" indicating a tent guarded by two serpent soldiers and the older woman nodded affirmatively.

"Okay, listen up. We'll do it like this___"

Ragnar held up her hand imperiously, cutting off Jack in full flow.

"If I remember correctly, O'Neill, you are back-up. And as such you are to await our instructions. Am I not correct?" She looked to Sam for confirmation, who, ignoring her C.O.'s deep scowl, nodded affirmatively.

***

As Sam and Ragnar made to move out, Jack held up a hand. The two women halted watching as Jack struggled to find his tongue.

"Sir?" clearly unused to seeing the colonel at a loss for words, Sam's concern rose, she was deeply worried that the narcotic effects of the leaves were wearing off more quickly than they had anticipated.

Eventually, looking his 2IC in the eye he spoke firmly. "I don't want you taking unnecessary chances, Captain, is that understood?" His voice sounded brusque but his eyes imparted far more than his words ever did and they burned with an intensity Sam found disconcerting. Having met his gaze, she now floundered and dropped her eyes in confusion for a second and when she dared to meet her C.O.'s eyes again a shutter had come down and the hidden message she thought written there was gone.

"Yes, sir, we'll be careful."

***

It had been almost too easy disabling the serpent guards but when Sam entered the tent she was unprepared for what she found - an exact double of Ragnar! Sam stared disbelievingly from one to the other.

"Are you twins?" she asked watching the two embrace warmly.

"If yo mean, are we of the same birth - yes," replied Ragnar, her eyes shining with joy.

"Why didn't you say?"

"It was unimportant."

Ragnar turned back to her twin and it seemed to Sam they were communicating without speaking.

"C'mon, we must hurry."

"One moment, child."

Casting her eyes around for further trouble, Sam glanced over her shoulder. "Tell me about it later - when those two guards come round we need to be well away from here."

Ragnar shook her head, her features conveying her disagreement.

"Take the Shaman and go - I must stay."

"Wha-at?" Sam froze in disblief at what she was hearing. "You can't be serious?" For a mad moment she felt herself sounding like Jack and wondered how he was, but Ragnar brought her back to her senses.

"You are right, you must go. O'Neill will be unsettled at the delay," Ragnar advised, knowing when to play her trump card, "but I must stay or the serpents will exact a terrible revenge on our people."

Confused, Sam ran a hand through her short, blonde hair. "Why, I don't understand?"

"Do you see this?" Ragnar motioned to some strange containers in one corner of the tent. "They contain an element the serpents hunger for."

"What is it?"

For the first time the Shaman stepped forward and Sam could see an exact replica of Ragnar except her eyes, which were such a deep aqua-green she had to force herself to look away, so mesmerizing were they.

"The serpents call it Tilan - it is highly treasured by them, but only after it has been treated."

"Treated?" Sam frowned her confusion. "What do you mean - what's so special about this Tilan?"

"The serpents use it in their life caskets."

"Life caskets?" Sam felt the conversation getting away from her. She wondered if she should....

"She's talking about the Goa'uld's sarcophagus!" The voice was highly pissed and as she spun on her heel, Sam cringed at the brutal look, a silent yet deadly condemnation for dropping her guard and allowing him to creep up on them which she knew would be much more painfully vocal when there was time for it. "Enjoying the chat?" he demanded icily

Swallowing her discomfort, Sam's concerned gaze settled on her C.O. aware that he was chewing on the special leaf Ragnar has so carefully handed him with her stern warning to use them sparingly. She had to restrain herself from rushing over to check how he was and realized Jack had sensed her feelings when he glared even harder at her.

She turned guiltily away and noticed the Shaman's eyes fall on Jack and then turn to Ragnar as again, some for of silent communication passed between them.

"What my beloved sister does enables the life caskets to work more productively."

Jack looked thunderous. "You mean this stuff helps keep the Goa'uld alive longer?"

Ragnar nodded.

"So let's destroy this and get the hell out of here."

Jack was fast losing his patience with the lack of action at such a critical time.

"I must stay so that the serpents will not realise the shaman has escaped."

"But the Tilan?" Sam was not happy with this turn of events at all.

Ragnar remained calm in the face of Sam's unease. "They will not realise for many moons, by which time they will have left this place."

Shaking her head Sam continued, "I don't like it, it's too dangerous." Sam couldn't quite admit that she found it hard to think of Ragnar in such danger and she looked to Jack for support.

"I hate to agree with Ragnar, but she is right Captain. Once those guards wake up - they'll find everything as it was other than the big, fat headache I hope you've given them. Once they've left it's up to your people to destroy the stargate so they can never return."

Unwilling to accept what everyone else had agreed Sam continued to put up resistance. "But your eyes!"

The Shaman stepped forward. "They dare not look into my eyes so they will not notice the change until it is too late."

"And then what happens to you?" she persisted. Stepping forward, Ragnard took Sam's hands in her own.

"We are successful. We have what we came for, now you must go." She nodded towards O'Neill. "Already I see he weakens - he must have no more of the leaf. Once the Shaman has dealt with his wounds you must deal with the craving sickness yourself."

"Ragnar, I....I..."

"I know what is in your heart, you need say no more," and her grey eyes glowed with joy. She turned to Jack an amused glint now reflected in the grey. "And I know what is in your heart too, O'Neill." And she smiled as Jack swiftly dropped his eyes as if to guard against he intrusion. "Your secret is with me," she said softly and his head jerked up alarm in his eyes. "Now go, and always walk in the lift." She turned her back on them reaching one more time for her sister and then they were moving.

They heard no signs of disturbance as they hurried away, and once they felt relatively secure they halted to allow Jack to rest. The Shaman took his hand, placing her own palm against his.

"Feel my strength," she whispered, her voice so like her sister's that Jack found it difficult to believe it wasn't Ragnar, until the felt a surge of energy enter his very vitals. The pain in his side instantly lessened and he shook his head in wonderment.

"How....how do you do that?" He sounded perplexed.

The Shaman smiled but gave no answer.

"Come, we must seek the holy water to make your recovery complete."

Back at the cave Jack was still relieved to skink gratefully back onto his pallet, merely taking time to take off his boots, but te Shaman shook her head and smiled gently as she took his hands and coaxed him back up.

Hearing his groan of protest she softly explained, "Soon you may rest, my son, now we must bathe. Come." And carefully she led him to the place where the water fell, Sam following closely.

He was startled by the waterfall and more astonished when the Shaman led him right under the flow fully clothed. She encouraged him to drink and ran her hands over his head and down his body. At long last she led him out and they returned to the cave where she carefully undressed him, wrapping him in blankets while she softly intoned an incantation in a language unfamiliar to either Jack or Sam.

Unable to stay awake, Jack did not see her uncover his wound, sprinkling a powder on it then recover it. After a number of hours in which Sam also slept, the Shaman again uncovered the wound - there was nothing but healed flesh.

"How....how did you do that?" Sam, looking over her shoulder, was totally and utterly dumbfounded.

"It is a gift." The Shaman almost seemed shy of Sam's open admiration. She turned back to Jack observing the rapid fluttering of his eyelids and the increase of his heartbeat. "My work is done here - yours must continue."

Sam frowned not understanding. She was so delighted that Jack was well that she had forgotten Ragnar's warning.

Going to where Jack's clothes lay drying, the Shaman bent down. When she stood up again she held out her hand holding some leaves in her open palm.

"One sickness replaces another and this one I have no powers over. You must be strong and defeat the devil within him."

"You're not staying?" Sam had grown so used to Ragnar's presence that she was loath to lose the company of her twin.

"I have done what needs must, but work awaits me beyond. Have no faintheartedness, my sister saw in you a kindred spirit - your courage will suffice, but you must be strong."

When Sam raised her head the Shaman was gone. *** (Go to Part 2)

1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Obsessed Pam