Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Determination

by Beatrice Otter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
Stargate: SG-1 is still the property of a lot of people who are not me, alas.
Title: Determination
Author: beatrice_otter
Fandom: Stargate: SG-1
Rating: G
Characters: General Hammond, Sha’re
Word Count: 1,296
Betaed by: redbyrd_sgfic
Written for: sg_fignewton
Summary: A scene from an AU in which Daniel is taken by Apophis and Sha're comes to Earth to fight for her husband and brother.


“I’m sorry, Mrs. Jackson, but that is simply out of the question.” The fat, bald, pale man across from her leaned forward across his desk, hands folded. “As Doctor Jackson’s wife, you are of course entitled to permanent resident status in the US; you can remain here on Earth as long as you like. I’d be happy to hire you on as a civilian consultant here on the base, so that we could have your perspective on any situations that might arise, and have you teach Abydonian and Goa’uld to our people.”

“I went with your people through the Chapa’ai to Chulak to try and rescue my Dan’yel and Skaara,” Sha’re said, long practice dealing with her father and the elders of Abydos giving her poise and confidence she sorely needed in this alien place. She kept her breath even, and slow, and fought the urge to curl her legs up under her as if she were sitting in a cushion in her own home instead of a chair is this gray place. “I was a great help to them. They could not have found where my kin and your soldier were held without my help.”

Sha’re would have spoken longer about her value on the mission, but O’Neill and his men (and one woman!) had praised her in their reports, and she did not like to boast. Besides, after only a year of living with Dan’yel, she did not trust the extent of her English, even with the odd jump in her understanding of that language since going through the Chapa’ai to Chulak and back. “You did not object to my going with them then.” (Much.) “What has changed?” She held herself still, keeping herself from shivering—Abydos got much colder at night, but they had fires for warmth, and it was much hotter by day. Dan’yel would have made sure she had warm enough clothes—well, she would have made Dan’yel find them for her—but Dan’yel was not here, and she did not know whom to ask. She forced her jaw to unclench, laid her palms flat on her thighs to keep them from clenching, kept her expression as neutral as she knew how. She must be confident and reasonable to have any hope of going on missions with them to search for her husband and brother.

General Hammond sighed, and leaned back, and Sha’re marveled at how rich he must be, to be so fat and pale. Skaara would bristle at the sight of him, for no one should be paler than the family of the head man. Sha’re could not afford to. “That was an emergency,” he said. “There was no time to train more experienced personnel if we wanted to have any chance of rescuing our people, including your husband. But we have no immediate leads as to Doctor Jackson’s whereabouts, and so we have a bit of breathing room to get our program up and running and get our people trained while we learn a little bit more about what’s going on in the galaxy.”

“Then there will also be time to train me in fighting,” Sha’re countered, unable to keep her voice even; truly, Skaara was right to mock her temper. He would do so again. He would. And they would rescue him as they would rescue her Dan’yel. “I fought Ra, on Abydos. I would—will—teach my tongue, but surely it would be easier to teach me to fight?”

“Mrs. Jackson,” General Hammond said, and sighed, shaking his head.

Dan’yel had been appalled by the position of women on Abydos, that they were not held as equal to the men; he had been willing to accept the differences on cultural terms for everyone except herself, but he had struggled with it. Sha’re found it ironic that on his home world, she was still defined by her relationship with a man, but she had been Kasuf’s “Little Daughter” all her life and it did not bother her to now be “Mrs. Jackson.” Particularly not since it was the only reason she was allowed on this planet at all, and Abydos had no resources to spare for a great search through the Stargate, not even for the head man’s son and son-in-law. If—when—she and Dan’yel were reunited, they would argue about a woman’s place and a woman’s name again.

“I’m sure we can get you whatever physical training you wish,” General Hammond said. “I’m in favor of women learning to protect themselves, and we may need you to go through the Stargate for some unforeseen reason in the future, or we may be attacked here again. But as to going through the Stargate on a regular basis … I’m sorry, but I want my own people, people I know share the same long-term training and reflexes. When you’re in an unknown situation under fire, that makes a hell of a lot of difference.”

“Teal’c of Chulak does not share that training,” Sha’re pointed out, daring him to say that her sex was the reason for her restriction from travel through the Chapa’ai. Dan’yel had told her his people were sensitive to the appearance of equality between men and women. Perhaps this could be made to work in her favor. “Yet he will be on Colonel O’Neill’s team.” She pronounced his name carefully; she had spent hours upon hours practicing the “l” sound with her husband, and wished to give General Hammond no thing to find fault with. Learning her husband’s language had been her duty as a wife, so that he might hear the words of his homeland whenever he wished; she was glad that in this matter she had been a proper wife, for it allowed her now to work for his rescue. He loved knowledge so; he would be delighted to know she had used well what he taught her.

“Teal’c’s status has yet to be decided,” Hammond said in the same tone of voice her father used whenever Ska’ara tried to convince him to see what other worlds besides Earth could be reached through the Chapa’ai. “I highly doubt Colonel O’Neill will be able to convince Washington to allow it, even if he manages to convince me. Regardless, Teal’c is a warrior with fifty years of experience and a much greater store of knowledge about the state of the galaxy in general than you have; it’s not the same situation at all.” He shook his head. “I don’t doubt your courage or your determination, Mrs. Jackson. And I assure you, we will do everything in your power to rescue your husband and brother. But there’s not much chance you’ll ever be part of a regular team going through the gate. You can, on the other hand, be a great help to us here on Earth, and still contribute to the search in that way.”

He smiled benignly, comfortingly, like a parent at a child, and Sha’re smiled back, and nodded, and forced her frustration and fear down. Dan’yel loved that she could and did challenge the elders when the situation called for it, and on his own did far more than his fair share of it. But unlike her husband, Sha’re understood the art of the possible, and when to bide one’s time. It was a lesson all women learned well on Abydos, even head-man’s daughters with strong wills. “Very well, then. Thank you for your time, General Hammond.” She rose to leave, and he rose as well. “I will teach, and learn.” And when she had learned, and proved her value—and Sha’re intended to be very valuable to Stargate Command—she would approach General Hammond again. And then, he would not refuse her. And she would save her Dan’yel, and her brother.