Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Chasing The Wind

by StarnightSam
[Reviews - 22]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chasing The Wind

By StarnightSam - 2008

Previously: “Sir, what’s wrong? Something’s off.” Sam was worried and he didn’t know what to say.

“I… I may have said something to Hammond I shouldn’t have.”

“What? What did you say?” Sam asked watching his face, wishing they were somewhere other than her lab.

“I don’t want to discuss this here. We have one hour, can we take that box to 11?” Jack’s eyes finally met hers and what she saw scared her.

Author’s notes: A few of the lines of this chapter were ‘borrowed’ from “Affinity.” I’m sure you’ll recognize them.

 

Chapter Twenty One

Teal’c and Sgt. Green made their way to escort Keen’s men to the surface to meet the Police Officers waiting to transport the two men to Denver. General Hammond decided to let them go early. It was obvious from the two previous interrogations that Teal’c wouldn’t get anything out of either of them without violence and Hammond wasn’t ready to go there. As of now no one was really hurt and he hoped this would put a stop to Kinsey’s interference for the short term anyway. Time only would tell.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

Daniel stopped in front of Sam’s lab. He was reading one of his research books looking for help in deciphering the tablet he was working on. He wanted some input from Sam; or rather he wanted to bounce off his thoughts with her. She always helped him get to the root of something stumping him even though she rarely understood how. But as he looked up from his book, he saw her and Jack walking at the end of the corridor toward the elevator. Just as they reached the elevator door Daniel yelled, “Sam! Hold up. I need your help.”

Jack felt his stomach drop. Damn Spacemonkey! “Carter don’t you dare answer him,” Jack said as he gently guided her into the elevator. He reached for the button for level eleven just as Daniel yelled again.

“Sam, hold the elevator for me,” he called out as he ran toward it. Sam looked at Jack sadly as she pushed the hold button.

“I’m sorry, Sir. It could be important.” Sam’s eyes were pleading for him to understand. Sam knew there would be many more times that they would have to put their job before their own wants and needs.

“Yeah, whatever. I guess you’re right. But it sure doesn’t make me happy, Carter.” Jack remembered the conversation he’d just had with Hammond. He realized this was really going to be a lot more difficult than it was before they actually decided to be together.

Sam moved close to his ear and whispered in a purring sexy tone, “I promise I’ll make it up to you, Sir.” She winked at him just before Daniel made it to the elevator.

“Sam….” Daniel noticed the box Jack was holding. “What’s that Jack?”

“Nothing Daniel, just something I was taking to storage.” Jack looked a little angry to Daniel.

“You okay, Jack?” His tone and voice held so much concern that Jack quickly lost his angry glare and his face softened. Jack loved Daniel next to Sam. He couldn’t stay mad at him, even if he did have the most inopportune timing where he and Sam were concerned.

“Sure, I’m fine. Just had a visit with Hammond and I needed to talk to Sam about it.” He added looking at her. Her eyes widened and she wished she had not stopped the elevator for Daniel.

“Oh, I’m sorry. This can wait. I didn’t realize…” Daniel started but Jack interrupted him.

“It’s okay, Daniel. Ask away.” He said as he waved his open hand toward Sam. “It won’t take long will it?” A pretty shade of pink suddenly colored Sam’s face and Daniel watched as they exchanged a silent conversation.

“You know what, Sam, this can wait. I know there’s a lot on both your minds.” Daniel reached for the elevator button and pushed the number for the next floor. The elevator stopped and Daniel hurried out. He turned before the doors closed behind him and smiled. “You both deserve this and I hope things will work out.”

Jack smiled at Sam. “He’s really a nice guy. You gotta love’em!”

“Are you saying that because he left us alone or because you mean it?” Sam teased.

“Carter, you know I love each member of my team, especially the hot blonde with legs that go on for miles.” His teasing never failed to make her giggle.

“Carter, unless you want what I have for you here, you better cut the giggles.” He said closing his eyes and letting his head hit the back of the elevator wall. She only giggled louder.

“Yes Sir, level 11? Or should we wait?” She knew the answer before she asked.

0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

The Denver patrol car transporting Ben Keen’s men back to Denver was stopped at the red light a couple of miles from their station in Denver. The officers were talking among themselves, personal conversations about family and what was up for the weekend. A car pulled to the right, and a gun was aimed at the officer in the driver’s side of the car. At the same time another car pulled in behind them and a man jumped and ran from the car quickly pointing a gun in the face of the officer in the passenger’s side. Both men were wearing stocking masks.

“Hand me your hand guns,” the gunman on the right demanded. Once both patrolmen had handed over their side arms, he demanded, “Get out on this side of the car. Get down flat on the street. Don’t move a muscle or I’ll blow your heads off.” Both officers complied and as quick as lightning two masked gunman jumped into the front seat of the car and shots rang out in the late afternoon on Board Street in Denver as both of Keen’s men slumped over in the backseat of the car. Blood ran from too many wounds in their heads and upper bodies.

The first gunman and one of the shooters jumped into the car that stopped at the side of the patrol car and then the car quickly sped off leaving smoking rubber in its wake. The other shooter ran back to the car behind the patrol car. As soon as he was in the car the tires squealed and smoked as it left on the tail end of the first car.

Both officers lay in shock on the street, sweating and thankful that they were still alive.

0o0o0o0o0o

 

Jack held Sam tightly in his arms. They had just spent the last thirty minutes making love as if their lives depended on it. Jack had captured her lips as soon as the door to the closet on level 11 was closed behind them. They were just now calm enough to get a few words out. He stroked her naked skin along her ribs as he pressed his body to hers. He loved the feel of her silky skin, but he loved her silky skin press to his naked body even more.

“Sam, I have to tell you what I told Hammond.” Jack said in a quiet voice. Even though they had both said the “L” word several times within the last several minutes, Jack was really nervous about discussing the conversation he’d had with the general.


”Jack, are you worried that he won’t let us be together?” Sam asked. She could tell he was holding something back and she didn’t understand why. The look he’d given her earlier still made her anxious. “Jack?” She asked when he didn’t answer.

 

He sat up bringing her with him. “About that. I told him that I’d do anything necessary so that we can get married. I know you haven’t said you would mar…..”

“Yes.” Sam said smiling at him, interrupting his sentence mid stream.

“…ry me…..but if you do decide to say yes…….…….what?” He stared at her with a confused expression.

“………..What did you say?” Jack asked as if he hadn’t heard her.

“Yes.” Smiling as she answered again, her bright blue eyes never losing contact with his dark passion filled brown eyes.

“You mean, yes as in…,” he tried to ask again but couldn’t get the last words out.

“Yes.” She kept smiling, looking from his lips to his eyes.

“Yes….you’ll marry me?” Jack asked, still not sure if that’s what she meant.

“Yes, I’ll marry you. I love you.” She pulled his head down to reach his lips with hers. “I don’t want to live without you in my life. I want this. Us. I want us.” Joyful tears sparkled in her eyes.

“Oh God, Sam. I love you so much. Thanks!” He shouted hugging her to him.

“Shhh… Someone could hear us.” She whispered happily against his lips. “But now I have to go talk to General Hammond. What did you tell him by the way?” She smiled at him as she got up and searched for her clothes. Finding her panties and bra she bent over to reach them. He watched as she put them on.

“What?” Jack was still looking at her gorgeous body as she put her pants back on. “Oh…, that I’d retire, or take any position he wanted if he feels he needs me here. I just have to have you first…….. …..and that I was going to marry you.” She smiled her brightest smile.

“Is that why you were worried?” Sam watched as his eyes moved back to her face.

“Kind of,” he paused then added, “You hadn’t said yes. I didn’t know for sure if you would want to marry me.”

“Well, now you do.” She smiled the smile that turned Jack’s world to sunshine.

“Did he offer any idea of his intentions for us?” Sam asked worry edging into her voice.

“No, not really. He did say you were much too important to lose and that he had always worried about sending you off world. If you want the Science Department it’s yours. Or you want your own team? You can have that too.” Jack watched her face trying to discern her feelings and thoughts.

“What do you want Jack?” She asked him seriously.

“I’m happy with whatever you chose, Sam,” he said as he zipped his pants and pulled her to his body. “Just as long as I’m in the equation.” He still didn’t have on his shirt and Sam had on only her bra, panties and pants.

He kissed her once more deeply, passionately. “I don’t intend to give you up. I don’t care how we manage it, but I won’t do that.” His voice was husky. Goose bumps moved over her skin as it contacted his.

“Me either,” she responded with one last hug and a quick kiss to his lips. She pulled out of his arms not able to stand the temptation any longer and finished dressing. “Okay. Let’s go see what he’s willing to do.”

“He just wants to talk to you, Sam. I’ve already told him what I’m willing to do.”

“Would you come with me, I want you there if you don’t mind?” She asked watching his face light up.

“Really?”

“Really. Jack, whatever decisions made about our future we’ll make together. Okay?”

“Oh, Sam. How can I be so lucky? You know I don’t deserve you, don’t you? You are so out of my league. But don’t tell anyone!” He grinned at her.

“Whether or not you deserve me, Jack O’Neill, is for me to decide and I don’t want to hear anything like that again.” She glared.

“Okay. Okay.” He said and pulled her close for one last deep kiss.

0o0o0o0o0o

 

First thing the next morning Walter was waiting for General Hammond in front of his office door with a coffee and the news paper. Following him into his office, Walter said, “Sir, I thought you’d need to see this right away.”

Hammond almost choked on his first sip of coffee as he read the article that Walter had pointed out. It was a report on the shootings in Denver. Walter waited for the general to read the article and then informed, “Sir, on page 12 there’s another article you need to see.” He took the paper back and turned quickly to the article on page 12. “This.” Walther pointed to the picture of Ben Keen.

After reading the reporter’s version of why Ben Keen had been murdered in his own bed, Hammond looked up at Walter. “Thanks, Walter.”

“Yes Sir.” Walter said as he left Hammond’s office. Immediately General Hammond picked up the red phone and dialed. Within a few minutes he was deep in conversation with Barkley, the President’s assistant. Hammond quickly learned the President’s view on the murders through Barkley.

“I understand. Do they know who killed them?” Hammond was hopeful, as he listened to Barkley’s reply.

“Any idea if either incident can be tied to Kinsey?” Hammond asked.

“I see.” Hammond responded.

“Yes, as a matter of fact I have discussed SG1 with the President. He agreed with my assessment. But really it’s up to them. I won’t force them either way. I think this country needs SG1 together a while longer, but it is ultimately their decision.” Hammond replied.

“No, I haven’t told them, I was waiting to hear from you. I never expected it to be over so fast.” Hammond answered.

“Thanks. I’m sure they’ll appreciate hearing your praise. Sometimes it seems they only hear negative comments from anyone above this command.” Hammond stated.

“Tell the President I’m really happy he approves.” Hammond’s conversation with Barkley was finishing. “I know he trusts us. He’s a good man. I just hope we’re half as lucky with the next president.” Hammond sighed as he placed the red phone back on its cradle and tapped his fingers against it lost in his thoughts. It seemed that Kinsey had covered his tracks well. He’d taken out anyone who could possibly tie him to the Shanahan mess.

He agreed with the President and Barkley that Kinsey would most probably stop harassing SG1 and him for the time being since his current plan to get them out had failed. But as far as the future….It was anyone’s guess.

Hammond was really getting antsy about the next President. With Kinsey as the next Vice President……… Well, just the thought made his stomach turn.

0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

“You wanted to see us, sir.” Jack asked as he stopped at the door of General Hammond’s office.

“Come in. Colonel, Major. Please sit down.” Hammond indicated the chairs and both Jack and Sam nervously sat.

“Either of you had a chance to see the morning paper?” Hammond asked as he handed the paper to Jack. Jack took the paper and read the article that the general had indicated. He looked at Sam then read out loud. After he’d finished the article, they sat in silence for a few seconds before Sam looked up from her hands.

“He could have been killed. I never realized how bad this really was,” Sam stated still disbelieving the full extent of Pete’s bumbling. “We could have been killed.” She looked at Jack waving her arm toward the ceiling, “All we go through out there and to think something as asinine as a nosy boyfriend could cause such a tragedy.” Anger ran through her words.

“Carter, it’s not your fault. You had no way of knowing this would go down like it did. Hell, you had no way of knowing he would have you investigated.” Jack said as he held her gaze. “Really, Carter. If it’s anyone’s fault it’s Kinsey’s.”

“If I hadn’t given up on us….” Sam whispered under her breath, but Jack heard and this time the silent communication didn’t seemed to be enough for him.

“Not your fault, Sam. I let you down. We’ll talk about his later.” Looking back at General Hammond, “I don’t guess there’s anything to tie it to Kinsey?” Jack asked.

“No, I’m afraid not. But that’s not all. Look on page 12,” General Hammond said. Jack turned the newspaper to page 12 and the first thing he saw was the article about Keen’s murder.

“Damn! I didn’t think even Kinsey would be that brave.” Jack stated in shock at what he read.

“He’s a powerful man, Jack. You know that. Especially now, that he’ll be the next Vice President. He’s sure that nothing or no one can touch him.” General Hammond felt old and his voice betrayed him. He wondered for the hundredth time this week how much longer he could take this worry about his people. He wasn’t a young man.

0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

“Hammond says we can leave the base tonight, but he wants us to be careful and make sure we watch our sixes. He still thinks Kinsey will be waiting for any of us to make a mistake. You happy with what he’s laid out for us, Carter? It might be better if I just retired.” Jack said as they walked out of her lab toward the elevator.

“No Sir. We’ve already decided. You can’t retire. Anyway, the Joint Chiefs and the President refuse to let you. We still need you here at the SGC. No one knows more than you how important this fight is against the Goa’uld.” Sam said.

“I know what they said Carter. But what if the new President refuses to let us stay on SG1 together? Sam, they could use this against you, against your career. I don’t like it.” Jack said.

“Sir, we have the okay to be together and both stay on SG1 from Hammond. He’s assured us that it’s okay with the President and the Joint Chiefs. Do you really think something could go wrong? Or that they will change their minds?” Sam worried.

“No, not as long as Hammond and the Joint Chiefs have it okayed and signed off by the President in our personnel files, but who knows what can happen with a new President? But then we don’t know how a new President will affect the SGC either.” Jack answered.

“Well then can we just enjoy the time we have together? I’m ready to leave this base and just get away and be alone with you.” She smiled up at him, her eyes shining bright enough to light up a room.

“Oh, I love that idea.” Jack said. “You want to go to dinner tonight? Somewhere nice? Candles and white table cloth?”

Sam smiled at him, “What? A romantic Jack O’Neill?”

“Little romance never hurts, Carter.” He said as he leaned closer to her wishing he could kiss her right then.

 

TBC

Thanks for reading and for reviewing.

0o0o0o0o0o