Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Chasing The Wind

by StarnightSam
[Reviews - 22]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chasing The Wind

Previously: “Now wait, buddy. I didn’t say that!” Jack suddenly stood, and then sat back down. “Well, I did ask her, but she hasn’t answered yet.” Worry evident in his dark brown eyes. “Now she probably will say no for sure.”

“O’Neill, I do not understand, please explain this from its beginning. I am much improved on Earth’s colloquialisms, but you have lost me.” This made Jack smile; boy did he love this guy.

Chapter Thirteen

Summary: “Guess it depends on your opinion of okay. But we’ll make it through, I guess. Jack, what if one of us has to leave not only SG1, but the SGC? Can we do that?”

 

Jack made his way to the end of the food buffet and picked up a tray. He kept an eye on the door looking for Sam. He picked up two pieces of chocolate cake, placed them on his tray and poured two cups of coffee, one black and one with sugar and cream. He started walking toward the front of the mess hall. Finding an empty table near the door he sat the tray down and waited for Sam. He was nervous so he stood over the table never taking his eyes from the door.

He’d told Teal’c everything, including the scene in Sam’s home that Pete had witnessed. If anyone had told Jack that he would have spilled his guts to anyone, especially the stoic Jaffa who didn’t say much, he’d had them checked out by the base shrink.

But when he’d told Teal’c about Kinsey he had to explain or it wouldn’t have made any sense. When he started talking he just didn’t stop. What was it with him? He was doing and saying things that weren’t like him in the least.

He shook his head as if to shake off the last hour, he’d never liked sharing and this was no exception. Only thing that saved his ego was that he could put up his life that Teal’c would never breathe a word of their conversation. But if Teal’c knew, that would mean that Daniel would have to know or he would get his feelings hurt and Jack didn’t want to put up with a sulking Daniel.

If Daniel knew, then it would only be a matter of hours before Frazier knew. Daniel thought he and Janet had hid their relationship, but Jack knew about it. Probably Sam did too. Jack knew it was in the beginning stages, but after Daniel’s trip as a glow bug, Janet had been different around Daniel. He smiled at that thought. He was glad that Daniel was finally able to let go of Sha’re’s memory enough to open up to the doc. They seemed to fit so well together. But Jack knew about grief and the way it could lock you inside yourself for so long. If not for Sam and Daniel, he’d still be locked away from life.

But that he was able to tell ‘T’ all about him and Sam!? He’d never expected that to happen not even as he was saying it.

It worried Jack a lot that the General had found out that Kinsey was aware of the search that Pete had instigated. That was one more thing for the snake to latch on to try and dig up dirt on him and the SGC. He hated that snake in the grass and if it had been another part of his life, Jack knew he’d be able to kill him in cold blood with no regrets. But the trust he’d earned from General Hammond and the true feelings he knew his team had for him had caused a good change in Jack. The angry, suicidal, black operative part of Jack that had gone to Abydos with Daniel was gone.

Then there was Cassie and Jack knew she needed them all. He had sort of assumed the ‘father’ role in her life and he loved that girl like his own. Now he had Sam’s love too. He’d never do anything to lose that.

Hammond told Jack to trust him that it would work out. He’d also told him to have SG1 stay at the SGC until his return. Hammond didn’t tell Jack, but he wanted him out of harms way and if he stayed underground he was much more likely to do that.

Jack looked up just at Sam walked in. He quickly picked up the tray and walked toward her. “Let’s go back to my office. We should talk in private.” Jack smiled but Sam could read the tension on his face. Her anxiety picked up several notches.

They walked side by side but not close enough to touch. After entering Jack’s office he sat the tray on his desk and closed the door. Sam watched wondering what Hammond had said, worrying about the look on his face.

“Sir?” He glanced up looking at her with a curious look.

“Jack?” She whispered. “What did he say?” He moved his eyes to the camera indicating for her not to say anything else. He moved to his desk and switched the camera control to off. He’d had Siler install it long ago. It cut the camera feed in his office. He may have to explain why it was off, but it was better than evidence that could be recorded.

She realized what he’d done, but made no comment. “What did General Hammond say, Jack?” He could hear the worry in her voice. Pulling her into his arms his hungry kiss stopped her next inquiry.

“That everything’s gonna be okay and to trust him.”

He kissed her again. “That Kinsey knew about the file search and was digging.” He kissed her again, but this time she pulled back and looked at him. He knew full well what she was thinking. Her eyes were shining with controlled desire and at the same time revealed her worry. Jack could see the battle she fought within herself. But in the end her look gave him courage. He could see doubt but he could see love most of all as the tears glistened.

“I trust him, Sam. He said he’d explain it all when he came back. He wants us to stay here on the base ‘til then.”

He pulled her back into his arms and buried his face in her neck. Sam’s heart raced. This wasn’t a good idea for them to be in such close physical contact on base. She tried to pull back, but he held her tighter. “I’m not giving you up, Carter, no matter what. You got that? Don’t even try leaving me behind. Not now.” He pulled his face away from her neck enough to see her eyes silently pleading for her to agree.

“Yeah, I got that.” Her eyes held a lot more uncertainty than her voice, but her actions gave him hope. She placed both her hands around his neck and pulled him to her lips. Who would have ever thought she’d willing kiss her CO on base. It was so unlike her, but Sam couldn’t stop herself. It was as if flood gates had opened up in her heart and she needed his touch more than she needed her own breath. He had filled her being and fused them together; she knew she’d never left him go willing, not now she needed him. Imagine that, she thought, Major Sam Carter, Miss Independence herself, needed a man. But only this man.

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

The SFs stopped at the main check in and asked the guard on duty to call General Hammond’s office.

Walter answered the phone, “General Hammond’s office, Sergeant Harriman speaking.”

“Sergeant, Green here. The general asked that we let him know when we arrived with the package.”

“Everything’s ready. Take it straight to the holding cells through the back elevators. Stay with him until General Hammond gets back.” Walter instructed.

The guards signed in, picked up Pete’s pass that Walter had delivered to the main check in and guided Pete through the corridor down toward the service elevators. It wasn’t long before they were leading him into the interrogation room. Indicating for him to take a seat they took their positions outside the door, one on each side stoically waiting for General Hammond or their relief which ever came first.

Pete was extremely nervous. He chose not to sit but instead continuously walked around the room from one side to the other. It seemed like hours since he had been escorted to this room. He didn’t know if he could stand the wait. Pete had always been a doer, waiting and stake outs weren’t his favorite thing; but these was much worse. He hated being out of control even more than waiting.

 

He’d tried several times to get the guards to talk to him, but they seemed even more stoic than the Queen’s Royal Guard. He didn’t see how they could be so still and silent. He’d never be able to do that for so long.

He finally sat at the table and stared at the wall, nothing to do but think. He’d already tried his phone, it didn’t have a signal. He knew he was deep underground, but he really had no idea how far below the surface they were.

He was beginning to think he’d be lucky if he ever saw the sun again. This was the military and Pete had his doubts about what they would do with him. He didn’t think he’d commented a capital offense, but he’d never been involved with any situation that had drawn attention from the President of the United States or the Joint Chiefs of the US Military. Had he somehow committed treason or could they say he had?

He knew his rights, but he wasn’t sure that the military actually held them as sacred as the rest of the world. Or maybe he was blowing this out of portion. Sure, that was it. He just hated being left here not knowing what the hell was up.

Pete was sweating. He couldn’t remember ever being more uncomfortable or unsure of his future. He really didn’t think they would do anything life threatening, but he really wasn’t sure. He folded his arms placing them on the table and laid his head on top closing his eyes. He had no choice but to wait. And wait. No wonder so many suspects creaked under this pressure.

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

Walter waited at the elevator for General Hammond as he had requested. “Walter, everything in place?” The general asked as soon as he exited the elevator, before the doors had time to close.

“Yes, Sir. The package is in place and no one other than those you authorized knows about it.” Walter waited for his next orders.

“Great. How long since it arrived?” The general asked.

“Five hours.”

“I’ll need a minute in my office before I open it. Will you get me a sandwich and coffee and bring it to my office? I missed lunch and looks like I’ll miss dinner.”

“Sure thing, Sir.” Walter could tell the general was tired. He had been to Washington and back in one day and it was only twenty hundred hours.

“Oh. Walter. Find Teal’c and asked him to report as soon as possible.”

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

Sam was working in her lab, but for once she wished she was home or either with the colonel. It had been a long and trying twenty four hours. It really seemed impossible with all that had happened that it was only twenty four hours since Jack stormed in her house and dragged her away from her date with Pete.

She sat looking into space in a dreamlike trance remembering all that had happened between her and the colonel. He’d really asked her to marry him, promised even that they would work out whatever was necessary for them to be a couple. Tears filled her eyes and streamed down her face. What should she do? She was so afraid if he retired he would come to resent her, that is would destroy what they had finally found together. And she really liked him being on SG1. She hated the thoughts of losing their team.

She just couldn’t think of any way other than her resigning from the military for them both to still work together. Truth was they most likely wouldn’t be allowed to work together on SG1 any longer anyway. Frat regs or not, they had developed too close a bond. Sam knew in her heart that Jack could never do what he’d done when the entity overtook her mind and body. There was so much more between them now than even two days ago.

She felt his hands squeezing both shoulders and his fingers run softy up the base of her neck. She had been so lost in her emotional state that she didn’t hear him come into her lab. She quickly swept away the tears and turned her face toward his. Her eyes glanced upward toward the camera.

“I know. Meet me in my quarters in half an hour. No cameras there.” He watched her face for any sign that she was about to object, but she only nodded her head.

“You talked to Hammond?”

“Only briefly. He has something to do first, then he wants to meet with us. You okay?” It seemed that he just noticed her red nose and tear streaked face but he stood in the door for a few minutes and watched her before he entered the lab. He wanted to wrap her in his arms and hug away the anxiety he’d seen in her face but all he was allowed to do in front of the cameras was briefly touch her for reassurance.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She tried to smile but it never reached her eyes, she intuitively felt something was off.

“Sam. It will all work out. Trust me.” Jack pleaded, not so sure himself. He would kill Shanahan with his bear hands if his actions destroyed what they had finally found together.

She stood, shut down her computer and picked up her purse. “Half and hour. I’m going to get a couple of sandwiches and I’ll be there.”

“Okay. Cake too?” He grinned.

“You betcha.” She smiled back. It did reach her eyes this time. She loved that he could act like such a little boy from one minute to the next.

He wanted to touch her so badly but he turned on his heels and walked quickly to the door. Stopping and turning back to look at her, “Half an hour or I come after you.” Then he quickly left.

Sam took a deep breath as if preparing for a physical workout. This was exhausting. She knew he wanted to tell her the latest news from the general, but she wasn’t sure she could be alone with him in his quarters. But where else could they talk since the general had insisted that they stay on base?

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

General Hammond stopped outside the door of the interrogation room that housed Shanahan. “At ease, airman. I don’t want any interruptions unless you have a message from the President himself.” His kind blue eyes looked tired and slightly bloodshot from fatigue. He closed the door behind him and the guards stood straighter their eyes fixed straight ahead.

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

Sam hurried down the corridor to Jack’s quarters. She felt guilty. It was rare that she met with him in his private quarters. But she needed to know what he knew and she had stood the uncertainty as long as she could.

Before her knuckles knocked softly a second time the door was jerked open, Jack pulled her inside and locked his door from the inside. “Anyone see you?” He asked.

“No.” She didn’t like this sneaky feeling. It made her feel like they were doing something wrong and she really didn’t want to feel that way.

“Good. I’d rather not have the whole base know about us until we know what Hammond has in mind.” Jack spoke softly but it felt wrong even to him.

He took the sack that held the sandwiches and canned drinks and sat it on the corner table. He took Sam’s hand and led her to one of the chairs. Still holding her hand he gently pushed her to sit and he knelt beside her chair.

“I promise this will be okay, Sam. Don’t look so worried.” Dark brown eyes captured her and she felt the pull from his heart to hers. She loved him; there was no doubt of that. Always had and always will. She knew that, but was love enough? Could they really be happy if one of them was forced to leave SG1 or even the SGC? Jack retired? She didn’t think he was ready for that.

“Guess it depends on your opinion of okay. But we’ll make it through, I guess. Jack, what if one of us has to leave not only SG1, but the SGC? Can we do that?”

 

 

TBC

 

Thanks for reading and for your reviews! They’ve been great and I really, really appreciate all of them. Special thanks to Su Freund for helping clarify parts of this story plot and to FFlover for her pointers on specific SG1 facts. Your comments and help are always gratefully solicited. Thanks!