Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Chasing The Wind

by StarnightSam
[Reviews - 22]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chasing The Wind

Previously: “What? You can’t go all day without seeing me?” She teased. Sam couldn’t remember seeing him look so happy and relaxed. It seemed they had created their own little world so fast, and she tried to keep any bad thoughts to the back of her mind. She refused to give Jack up, but she had no clue as to how or what to do next.

The doors started opening and Jack squeezed her hand once more before letting it go. He indicated for her to exit. She smiled at him not saying anything else as he pushed the elevator button to his level. The last thing Sam saw was him winking at her as the doors closed. Well, if the world ended today she would die happy, she thought as she walked away.

Chapter Twelve

Summary: Hammond’s glare told the President how upset he was to learn of Kinsey’s meddling. “You mean he’s starting an investigation just because their personnel files were searched?

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o

“Sam?” Sam looked up when she realized that Daniel was standing over her. From the tone of his voice and the way he was looking at her with that almost knowing smile she realized that he’d been talking to her.

“Oh, sorry, Daniel. I guess I was miles away.” She smiled at him. “What did you say?”

“I asked how your date with Pete went, but from the smile and the way you’re daydreaming, I guess I don’t need an answer.” He teased her.

Sam looked apprehensively at Daniel. “Well…” She struggled to get out the words.

“What? You didn’t have fun? You sure are acting like you did.” Daniel looked at her. He knew Sam better than anyone, probably including her family and Jack, and he knew something was going on. “Sam, what are you not saying?” Like a dog with a bone that was Daniel. Sam knew she’d never get anything past him and she really wanted to tell him anyway. She knew she could trust Daniel; she just wasn’t sure how he would take the news.

“I.. uhh.. …My date with Pete was interrupted.” She hesitated a little too long for Daniel.

“How? You didn’t have to come back to work did you? I know how much you were looking forward to it.” He asked sincerely hoping she’d been able to go out with Pete. Sam needed a break from work and Daniel knew she needed a break from the emotional roller coaster her life or lack thereof had been with Jack. He had no qualms against them being together, quite the contrary, he would love for them to be able to get together. But Daniel had given up on that ship long ago, they were both such hard headed people, and they both refused to consider giving up their roles on SG1. So he’d stopped badgering Jack a long time ago not that it had ever done any good.

“No… uhmm. Colonel O’Neill…”

“Don’t tell me Jack interfered in your date.” Daniel griped interrupting her. “What? He can’t have you but he doesn’t want anyone else to either! Don’t you think that’s a little selfish of him?” It was obvious that Daniel was peeved. “I’m sorry I told him about your date, Sam. I never thought he’d try and stop you.” Daniel said, looking sheepishly at her.

“I wondered how he knew, but I never asked him.” Sam said as if she were talking to herself.

“I’m so sorry.” Daniel repeated.

“Oh, no. Daniel, don’t be sorry. It’s okay, great even.” Sam smiled at him. She wanted to tell him, but she and Jack had not talked about telling anyone else, even their teammates.

“Great? What do you mean, Sam?”

“I shouldn’t tell you; we didn’t discuss…… I don’t know if Jack would like it…”

“Jack??” Daniel looked dumbfounded. All the years he’d know her he’d never heard her call Jack by his name. It seemed off even to him.

She smiled at Daniel, worried her bottom lip and ducked her head sideways as she did when she was torn or worried. “Yeah, Jack. Would you be upset if I told you that Jack and I are….together?” Her eyes pleaded with Daniel to be happy for her. She loved Daniel as much as her own brother and she didn’t want to upset him or their working relationship.

“What?!” Daniel just stared as if he was watching her eyes turn into a Goa’uld flare, gold lights and all.


”What?” He repeated.

Sam smiled at him. “Daniel, please don’t be upset.” He grabbed her and hugged her tight.

“Oh, holy Hannah! You know I’m happy for you. Both of you!” He swung her around before letting her go.

 

0o0o0o0oo0o0o

 

Hammond’s glare told the President how upset he was to learn of Kinsey’s meddling. “You mean he’s starting an investigation just because their personnel files were searched? What can he possible be looking for?”

“I don’t know. Could be he’s just doing his usual and stirring the pot to make it look like trouble. George, we both know he would like nothing better than to destroy the SGC, you, and SG1. He’s had this vendetta since we opened the Gate. He wants control, plain and simple; and he knows he has to get to you or disgrace both you and Jack O’Neill in some way to get you out. Major Carter just happens to be along for the ride I’m afraid.” The President stopped speaking to take a sip of his coffee.

“Well, his…. I guess I should keep my views private.” George huffed.

“I know exactly what you’re thinking. But what I have to know is why that search was run and then we can go from there.” The President had a thoughtful look. “George you have to interview this Shanahan character before Kinsey can get to him. What do you think is the quickest way to do that?”

“Have him brought to Cheyenne Mountain and detained in holding until I can get back,” George offered, liking this idea the more he thought about it. “It should sure scare him. Maybe he’ll be more forthcoming after he sits and stews for a while. I can have the SF’s pick him up in minutes.”

The smile on the President’s face conveyed his agreement. “Just don’t let O’Neill get close to him. I like Jack a lot, really proud of him: but with what you’ve told me about him and the major and the situation with this Shanahan, I don’t trust him within spitting distance. I’d be the same so I can’t really blame him.

And it will sure keep Kinsey from getting to Shanahan first if he’s buried under that mountain!” The President’s laughter filled the room. George’s eyes brightened with the thought of beating Kinsey at his own game.

George placed the necessary call to Walter to set in place their plans. As soon as Walter answered George became the Base Commander again. After he explained what and how he wanted things done, he ended the conversation with one last directive, “Sergeant, I don’t want any of this to get out to Colonel O’Neill or Major Carter especially that Shanahan will be at the SGC. Whatever it takes to keep this from them. You got that?”

“Yes Sir!” Walter had been planning in his head from the start of their conversation, but it had included O’Neill and Teal’c. It really surprised him that the general didn’t want O’Neill involved. But he dare not asked why. Walter had known something was up. His intuitive nature had been buzzing since making the plans for General Hammond to go to Washington. Now he was sure, and he was afraid it would have some bad effects for Colonel O’Neill. Why else would the General not tell O’Neill? He told him almost everything that went on here. It worried Walter.

As George hung up the phone, the President made one last comment, “George, you know I’d never have brought you here to discuss any of this if it weren’t for Kinsey. I trust you George, completely to run personnel matters within the SGC. So does the Joint Chiefs.

Fraternization regulations or not, it’s always the decision of the Ranking Commander of any command in such cases. I wouldn’t give a ticker’s damn what O’Neill did if not for fear of Kinsey. He has power, George, whether we like it or not. But I’ll be damned if I let him run any part of the SGC or any part of any military branch including anything to do with any of our officers. That’s not his job. Won’t be as long as I’m President.

And I’m glad you decided to run their situation by me. It certainly wasn’t necessary, I would back any decision you made concerning the two of them or any of your base personnel. But they’re two of the finest officers in the whole of the military. I don’t want to lose either of them.”

“Thanks, Mr. President. I appreciate that. That’s exactly why I called first thing this morning; I wanted you in the loop. After Shanahan called last night and then Barkley, I was afraid this was turning into more than just two officers who’d broken frat regs. Anyway I had to be sure that’s all it was. And to be frank, Sir, I’ve always known you’ve had our back.” George stood and smiled while shaking hands with the President as he readied to take his leave.

The next call George placed was to Jack as he left the building.

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o00

 

 

Jack looked up just as Teal’c stuck his head into his office. “You wanted to see me, O’Neill?”

“Yeah, hey Teal’c. Come in will’ya and close the door, please.” Jack looked a little green around the gills.

“I have something to tell you, and I need your assurance you won’t say anything to anyone, especially Carter or Daniel.” Jack waited for his response.

 

“Of course, on my honor as you wish O’Neill. What matter is this that has caused you such obvious discomfort?” If Teal’c was one thing, he was certainty loyal to his team and especially the Colonel.

“It’s Kinsey.” Jack rubbed his hands through his hair and back down his face. The damn SOB was trying to cause trouble, trouble that would break him and Sam up before they could even start out in life together.

“What do you mean O’Neill? What has this snake in the grass done now?”

“Good one Teal’c. You’re getting better with Earth’s slang.” Teal’c’s remark brought a slight smile to Jack’s face. Teal’c merely titled his head as he was inclined to do.

Jack took a deep breath and looked up at Teal’c. Jack was sitting with his feet on his desk and as he tried to frame the words to explain to Teal’c what was going on he moved his feet to the floor and looked pensively at him. “Wan'cha sit, T? This could take a while.”

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

The SF’s were waiting as Pete and Jim entered through the main precinct doors. Pete’s heart skipped as he noticed the Air Force symbol on the airman’s uniforms. He couldn’t believe they were here; could they be here for him? Just at that moment the desk officer motioned him over. Oh, yeah, they were here for him!

“What you need Chuck?” Pete asked innocently, leaning on the tall desk.

“This Air Force SF’s have an order to take you in, Pete.” Chuck looked apologetic but they all knew how this game was played. Pete stood up straight and looked at the SF’s, “Did the warrant say why they are taking me?”

“No. Here it is, you wanna see it?” Chuck asked as he handed it over to Pete. By this time the SF’s had realized who this man was and walked toward the desk.

“Detective Pete Shanahan?” One of them asked.

“That’s me.” Pete responded with a curious expression.

“We have been ordered to escort you back to the SGC.” No thrills or explanation, no smiles or expression of any type, just direct information with nothing to spare.

“Why? What would the Air Force want with me?” Pete had looked at the official order and it was vague, the way you would write an arrest warrant when you were fishing.

 

“We only have orders to pick you up, Detective. Nothing else.” The other one spoke just as crisp and formal, his eyes didn’t even blink as he stared at Pete.

Had these guys been ordered to scare him? Pete wondered. “Okay. Let me inform my chief.” Pete started to walk off but the SF moved to stand in his way.

“He has already been informed. You are to come now.” The first SF demanded.

“Okay. Jim, you want to make sure that he knows….., maybe all of it.” Pete said giving Jim the okay to tell the chief the whole story.

What Pete didn’t know yet was that the Chief of Police had been called by the President’s staff informing them of the unwarranted file search that had been requested by Pete. And that nothing concerning this matter was to be spoken of or documented. This was a classified matter and any inquiries from any sources including any branch of government should be directed to the President’s staff. The fax that followed contained the official seal of the office of the President of the United Sates.

 

 

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

 

 

“Hammond’s met with the President. Kinda let’s you know how important this has turned out to be, huh?” Jack began, but as usual he didn’t have a clue as to what to say. Teal’c only nodded his head briefly and looked very confused.

“Yeah, I guess if I explained it you’d have something to say.” Jack looked as if he had survived an all night drinking binge and he’s hesitancy was beginning to worry Teal’c.

“Indeed. O’Neill what has transpired?” Teal’c asked waiting for Jack to say something.

“Hell! It’s just my luck. I finally, finally make a move on Carter and she responds then the whole damn Air Force, the NID and even the damn President has to know about it. Not to mention that jackass Kinsey!” Jack had found a few words but the longer he talked the louder he became. Now Teal’c realized the reason for the closed door, something that O’Neill never did.

“O’Neill? Are you saying that you and Major Carter….” Teal’c wasn’t sure exactly what to ask, but the happy spark suddenly shining from his friend’s eyes told him he had hit on the right idea.

“Yeah. That.” Jack smiled even though seconds ago he was furious. That’s what this was doing to him, wrecking his emotions and carrying him on a seesaw. One minute he wanted to dance the next he wanted to punch someone.

“But I don’t understand, O’Neill. What has the agencies of Earth have to do with your decision to take Major Carter as your wife?”

“Now wait, buddy. I didn’t say that!” Jack suddenly stood, and then sat back down. “Well, I did ask her, but she hasn’t answered yet.” Worry evident in his dark brown eyes. “Now she probably will say no for sure.”

“O’Neill, I do not understand, please explain this from its beginning. I am much improved on Earth’s colloquialisms, but you have lost me.” This made Jack smile; boy did he love this guy.

TBC

Thanks for reading and for your reviews! They’ve been great and I really, really appreciate all of them even though I haven’t had a break long enough to answer them, I will!