Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

A Halloween Surprise

by phantomliberty
[Reviews - 9]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 2

Friday October 31 1820 MST Janet’s House

The next evening Cassie was anxiously pacing the hallway waiting for her godmother to show up. Most of her adopted family was already there. She had talked to Sam several times concerning details of the party and costumes but Sam was not telling what she was wearing. In fact no one knew.

Janet was getting a headache just watching her daughter pace. “Don’t worry Cassie, she’ll be here.”

“I know mom but...”

Janet sighed. “Go finish setting the food out, I’ll let you know when she gets here.”

“Ok.” The young woman walked off. Janet knew how she felt. Everybody was wondering what costume Sam had picked out. They figured it was something untraditional, due to the secrecy but so far no one had come up with any good ideas. Janet also suspected that something else was going on with her friend, and when she had asked Sam about it Sam had just brushed her off and said there was nothing to tell.

Janet looked around her home and smiled. What a group they were. Daniel, in his (what else) Indian Jones costume. Teal’c had come as a Jedi from his favorite movie, Star Wars. Then there were the two newest additions to Sg-1 Cameron Mitchell, had come as a pirate, and Vala. Vala had come as cat woman. Janet just smiled and shook her head. Janet herself was wearing a dress from the Renaissance. Cassie was a faerie. When Cassie had asked to throw a party Janet had resisted at first. Finally Janet had agreed. It was going to be an interesting evening.

Just then the doorbell rang. Janet thinking it would be Sam or trick or treaters she opened the door. And stood there in shock. Quickly composing herself she automatically snapped to attention. It wasn‘t everyday that there were three Air Force Generals standing on your doorstep, all in full military uniform. “Sirs.”

General Hammond chuckled, as did the men standing next to him. “At ease Janet. Don‘t let the uniforms fool you. Tonight we’re just George, Hank and Jacob.” The other two men just nodded their agreement.

“Uh, yes sir. Come on in. I’m just surprised to see you here. I wasn’t aware that Cassie had invited you.”

Just then the girl in question rushed up. She’d heard the bell and thought it was Sam. But she was surprised nonetheless. “Grandpa George! Grandpa Jacob! What are you doing here!” She hugged them both.

Just then Daniel and the rest of SG-1 came in to see what was going on. “Generals. What a surprise!”

Janet spoke up. “If you don’t mind me asking, if Cassie didn’t invite you then who did?”

General Landry spoke up. “Actually--”

“I did.” A voice from outside cut him off. Eight pair of eyes swung around and everybody stood there shocked.

Cassie was the first to break the silence. “SAM!!” She squealed rushing up to her and hugging her. “Wow is that your costume? It’s beautiful! What a great idea!!”

Another voice from behind spoke up. “Hey, what about me?”

“JACK!!” Cassie let go of Sam and threw her arms around Jack in a bear hug.

By now the rest of the group was stunned. No one had expected the Generals to be there and now Jack was here. They were all wondering what was going on? Janet managed to usher everyone inside and close the door and be the first one to speak up.

“I think I speak for everybody here when I say this. . .What in the world is going on?”

Sam laughed. “It’s a costume party Janet. This is my costume.”

“Uh Sam that's not a costume...” Cameron said nervously.

“Sure it is. It just happens to also be a wedding dress. Isn‘t the point of Halloween to dress up as something other than yourself for a day?”

Vala looked amused and then dejected as she voiced her opinion .“Well I for one think its lovely. I only wish that I‘d thought of it first.”

Cassie broke in. “So why are Grandpa George, Grandpa Jacob and General Landry here? And Jack? Shouldn‘t you be in D.C? And shouldn‘t Grandpa George be on the Prometheus or somewhere, and--” She only stopped because she had to take a breath.

Janet finally realizing there were eleven people in her cramped foyer spoke up. “Why don’t we take this to the other room where I’m sure that we will all be more comfortable.” As the group moved to the other room she swore she heard Teal’c murmur ‘Indeed.’

Once everyone was seated with drinks and snacks that had been laid out Cassie picked up the conversation right where it had stopped. “Sam, what’s with the secrecy? And why...?”

Before she could even finish Sam cut in. “Breathe sweetheart and I’ll tell you. The Generals are here because they were in town, or on the planet as the case may be,” she threw a smirk to her dad, “and I figured that you would want to see them. I know that you tried to invite them and at the time they had plans but everything wrapped up early and so I told them to come by. Sorry for not warning you Janet.” She threw an apologetic look to her friend.

Janet just waved her apology away. “No big deal. There’s enough food her to feed the SGC for a week.”

Daniel turned to Jack, and for the first time realized what he was wearing. ‘Was that a tuxedo?’ His brain began to put the pieces together. “Uh, Sam did you do what I think you did?” He didn’t want to let the cat out of the bag just in case he was wrong, Especially in front of their superior officers. Everyone looked between Jack and Sam and began to come to the same conclusion that Daniel had. The three Generals looked the most nervous. How were they going to explain this to the President?

Jack realizing where the thoughts were heading finally spoke up, rather indignantly. “Daniel, are you nuts! You know that I wouldn’t do that to Sam!”

Daniel, feeling slightly chastised tried to explain. “Well you do have to realize that it does look suspicious. You in a tux and Sam in a wedding dress...”

“Yes well SpaceMonkey one plus one does not equal three. I happened to have an important meeting this afternoon and then was beamed here just in time for what I’m sure will be a fabulous party. I had NO idea what Carter was up to. It’s all a big coincidence. Sorry if we scared you sirs.” Jack spoke to Hammond, Jacob and Landry.

“It’s fine Jack. Selmac just says don’t do it again.” Jacob liked to rib Jack with mention of his symbiote.

Jack turned his attention back to the party host. “Now I do believe that I was promised some cake young lady.” Cassie giggled and the group got up to continue the festivities.

A few hours later as the party wound down most of the guests had left. Sam was sitting on the front porch staring up at the starry sky. It never failed to amaze her that she had been out there, up there on some of them.

A voice broke her out of her daydreaming. “Carter. Carter? Sam.”

She turned and smiled. “Sir.”

Jack grinned and sat down next to her. “What did I tell you about that? It’s Jack when we’re on downtime.”

“Force of habit.” They sat like that for several minutes not needing to speak. Finally Jack spoke.

“Good day.” It was more of a statement than a question.

“The best.”

“Think that they’ll figure it out?”

“If they haven’t by now I don’t think they will unless we tell them. But I’m not ready yet.”

“No pressure.”

They sat there awhile longer. Finally Sam stood up. “I’d better get going. I have an early flight in the morning. Thank you s--Jack. See you soon.”

“You’re welcome Sam.” With those parting words she walked down the steps to her car. He watched her get in and followed it until it was out of his sight. Realizing the time he got up to contact the Prometheus to ’beam’ him back to D.C. He had some packing to do.