Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Of Higher Beings

by ForeverDisturbed
[Reviews - 7]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

What Tuvok didn't know about, and therefore couldn't take into account, was Teal'c and his senses. The warrior was very much in tune with the senses of his body, and thus knew, after the transport cycle was complete, something was quite amiss. Hefting his staff weapon a few times, he allowed his thumb to depress the arming stud. Nothing, the end wouldn't even open. No power, for the power cells had been removed.

He dropped the weapon, and, moving quickly, reached over to remove a P-90 clip from the vest of Major Carter. Right away, he knew: The gunpowder was missing from each and every round.

Except for their knives, they were unarmed.

"Colonel O'Neill, they have neutralized our weapons!"

"What?!?!" Allowing his voice to raise, Jack hefted his own P-90. Yep, barely noticeable, but lighter. An entire mag of gunpowder....gone, but the bullets themselves were still in there. Cool trick, actually. Turning to the Starfleet officers, he reached to his back, and kept his hand on the handle of his knife. "Mind explaining this?"

Stepping forward, Captain Janeway took over. "I'm sorry, I should have thought to warn you." Shooting her security officer a look, she said, "Our security systems disable any weapons as they are beamed aboard, unless otherwise authorized. I should have realized. They will be restored to functionality when you depart."

Looking miffed, and more than willing to show it, he reacted. "Ya know, why doesn't everyone just ask? I'm not unreasonable. But no. Show up, and wham! Someone shines a fancy light thingy and takes it all away from ya!" Turning to Daniel, he asked, "Is that too much to ask? Wait, never mind." Turning to Teal'c, he repeated, "T, agree with me, is that too much to ask?" Looking back at the captain, he put on his most calculated look yet. "Really. I'm hurt. Where's the love?"

Not sure what to make of this, she decided to stick to her guns. On reflection, she thought, that may not have been the proper phrase, considering.

"My apologies, sir. My name is Captain Katherine Janeway, commanding officer, U.S.S. Voyager. And you are?"

Sighing, the colonel decided to play along, for now. "Colonel Jack O'Neill, US Air Force. Major Carter, Dr. Jackson, and Teal'c of Chulak."

Nodding at each as they were introduced, she first addressed Daniel. "Doctor? I'm sorry, I hope you didn't misunderstand. We don't need any medical help."

"Oh, no, um, wrong kind of....doctor. My specialty is in Archaeology and languages."

"Ah, my mistake."

Unable to keep quiet, Jack spoke up as he stepped down. "Actually, we brought two doctors....Carter here is also a 'doctor.' In...."

"Astrophysics," she supplied, blushing slightly at the attention from the colonel. She was going to have to talk to him about that....

From the side, Harry, who had done well up to this point at keeping quiet, spoke up. "Astrophysics? That's.....perfect! Captain, we could use her help to...."

"Yes, Harry, one thing at a time." Turning to the Major, she elaborated. "We're working to figure out a few things about this dimension. Some of the laws of physics as we know them seem to be different than the ones in our own dimension. We're having some luck getting our systems back online, but there's still a lot we don't know."

Nodding, her mind slipped into overdrive. "I'm sure. I'd need to begin by looking at the base constants for your dimension, and figuring out...."

Knowing he had to head her off before she got really going, Jack interrupted. "Major! We'll get to it." Turning, he looked at the Starfleet officers. "So, ya'll need some numbers. OK, I think we can help ya there. First, if you don't mind, we'd like to start from the beginning. What's your story?"

Half smiling, the captain responded, "How long ya got?"

Not expecting that answer, Jack thought, 'Ooooo, boy, this has GOTTA be good.' Making a show of looking at his watch, he replied, "Oh, a few hours, I guess."

"Please, come with me, and we'll start getting through this."

As they turned to leave the transporter room, Jack muttered to Sam, "I like her."

"Thought you might, sir."

Allowing his practical joker side out a little, he couldn't help but add: "But I think you have an admirer of your own."

Glancing back, she caught the look Harry was giving her, and as he quickly tried to look away and not get caught blushing, she replied: "Oh, that's just great. Why me?"

Surprising both of them, it was Teal'c who answered: "Why not?"