Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Clan of the Wolf

by Rocza
[Reviews - 16]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 1 – Bunnies

Sam was having fun. Yup, the super brain, comfortable running complex physics equations, was having fun chasing bunnies. Ok, they were not really bunnies, but they sure looked like it. Supposedly, these alien rodents, dubbed proto-bunnies, held a scientific mystery. They could re-grow lost limbs, resist all effects of aging, and heal really, really fast.

Dr. Johnston had noticed the anomaly when at the Gamma site studying weather patterns. As he observed the weather day after day, he saw a particular rodent get attacked. The poor creature was able to escape minus one foot. Feeling sorry for it, Dr. Johnston gathered it up and kept it as a pet. Initially, the good doctor was concerned about infection and was surprised when the wound healed quickly and cleanly. He was equally amazed when the animal was hopping around on its new foot several days later. Realizing the importance of his discovery, Dr. Johnston immediately informed the local xeno-biologist about his pet proto-bunny, ‘Bugs.’ Which leads us back to why Sam was currently running around chasing proto-bunnies.

First, the bunnies were important. Bugs was currently enjoying the attention of all the scientists at the Gamma site. But, the scientists needed more than just one lonely proto-bunny in order to study its biology properly. And while Bugs was easy to catch, with only 3 feet, his brethren were much more fleet of foot and elusive.

Second, SG-1 needed busy work. SG-1 had been fighting the Ori non-stop for years, not to mention the years of fighting the Gou’uld. They were tired of fighting. Now, with the upgrades to the Odyssey, they could take a long, well-earned break. However, being SG-1, they tended to overwork, even on vacation. So, General Landry had sent the team to the Gamma site to ‘review security for no less than one month.’ He reasoned that the team could indulge in some scientific projects, double check the tight security, and still have plenty of time to become bored silly.

The first week of their ‘exile’ had gone according to plan. SG-1 had explored the limits of security. And while a few of the projects permanently housed at the Gamma site were interesting, they failed to capture the long term interest of either Sam or Daniel. Cameron, Teal’c, and Vala had given up the pretense of checking security halfway through the first day. They spent most of their time either sparring or relaxing.

It was in the second week that the xeno-biologist, Dr. Jamie Vasquez, found out about Bugs. She immediately recruited SG-1 to help her capture more of the proto-bunnies for long term study. The team was eager to help.

Sam and Cameron were currently attempting to herd the reluctant bunnies towards where Teal’c and Vala were holding the net. But the bunnies were fast. Almost faster than their ability to herd them. Daniel was laughing at the tactics used by the two officers to keep the bunnies going in the same direction, which often resulted in flying leaps to get a head of them.

However, their tactics enabled them to capture about 6 of the proto-bunnies. The other bunnies had escaped into the woods. One of the poor creatures had tried the same escape maneuver but ended up knocking itself out on Daniel’s legs. Daniel just grinned as he picked up the poor creature and put it in one of the cages. The team grabbed the proto-bunnies out of the net and gently placed them in the cages. However, the bunnies, though captured, were far from defeated. As soon as Sam grabbed one by the scruff, it whipped around and bit into her arm.

“Damn it,” she cried out. “Watch out for their teeth. The little buggers like to bite.” She firmly grabbed the bunny with both hands and pushed it into one of the waiting cages. When all 6 proto-bunnies were finally secured, none of the team members had escaped being bitten.

“Alright, let’s get these babies to their new home,” Cam grabbed one of the cages and started to load them into the jeep. The others helped load the last of the cages.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

“Hank, good to see you again.”

“Jack,” General Hank Landry smiled at General O’Neill. “I see that they let you leave Washington again.”

“Yeah, well, I keep telling them that DC is not an armed prison camp. Yet they seem to treat it like one.” Jack sat down across from Hank and opened up his brief case. “So, what have we got this week, Hank?”

Hank smiled and pulled out the weekly summaries from the off-world bases and his own report on the SGC. “Well, it has been a little slow around here. No more Ori assaults or Jaffa insults. Quite frankly, I’m bored. But don’t worry. I’m sure that will change as soon as SG-1 gets back from their forced vacation. Col. Pierce has been keeping me informed of all the trouble they have caused since arriving at the Gamma Site.”

“Really, do tell.”

“Well, they completed the security sweep in less than one day. Spent the next week trying to look busy. Then one of their scientists recruited them on a bunny hunt.”

“Bunny hunt?”

“It’s in the report. But the little buggers apparently bite. Some how, this led to Mitchell, Vala, and Teal’c catching some alien virus… Don’t worry, it was basically the flu… sneezing and whining… Col Carter and Dr. Jackson played nurse. No one else was infected as far as we know. Dr. Vasquez, their xeno-biologist, says that the virus was probably transmitted through the bites.” Hank referred to his notes to double check. “Yes, the virus was found in the bunnies.”

Jack looked at Hank closely for a minute. Hank didn’t seem too concerned with the health of the team members. “Right, are they under quarantine anyway?”

“For now, but they should be up and about soon. I figure that they will be bugging me to get back to work again by Thursday.” Hank gave Jack a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry about it”.

“Not.” Jack flipped through the reports. Noting the details in the report from Gamma Site. “Well, ya got to give me something, Hank, or they might not let me come out to play again.”

Hank frowned in thought, “Naquada deal with the Nagish?”

Jack thought about it. “Treaty that only I can sign? Requiring a fancy ceremony that lasts days and days?”

“Of course,” Hank quipped.

“It has possibilities. Are the Nagish stubborn and reclusive?”

Hank grinned, “In the worst way, but they would have to sign the treaty here in the SGC.”

Jack sighed. He was tired of being restricted to Earth. He understood the necessity of having someone with the Ancient Gene handy for the defense of Earth, but since his failed diplomatic mission to Atlantis and then Daniel’s kidnapping attempt, the Joint Chiefs had been overly protective. Besides, they had his clone if they were that desperate. “Well, its better than nothing. But I expect funky weird costumes…Serengeti tribal weird, not French politics weird.”

They spent a few more minutes catching up on the SGC gossip before Jack had to leave to catch his flight.

“Well, Hank, it’s been fun. But I have a plane to catch.” The men shook hands.

“When is Project White Light going to be launched?” Hank asked.

The project was an international effort to place a network of satellites with Asgard beaming technology in geosynchronous orbit about the planet. It would allow rapid transport of personnel and supplies to needed areas quickly. As Ba’al’s infiltration had proved, Earth was still vulnerable to attack from galactic enemies.

One positive side effect of the project for the Stargate Allies would be rapid transportation anywhere in the world. This was the one sticking point that had bogged the project down. Not the technology but the possible applications by the first country to have access. The IOA had agreed to simultaneous implementation to ensure that no single ally would have an advantage over the others.

Jack was looking forward to the technology replacing the long airline flights, a perk he currently enjoyed only when one of the BC-303’s were in orbit. Jack grinned, “Soon as Carter’s back. It’s her baby. If I launched without her here, she would have my hide.” With a smile and quick wave, Jack grabbed his briefcase and headed to the surface to catch his flight.

TBC