Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Clan of the Wolf

by Rocza
[Reviews - 16]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
This is a werewolf fic that is centered on the SG Universe. The story is AU based on SG canon until after Unending then goes AU. Heavy ship in this one. Check the warnings. If you don’t like the pairings, don’t read.
Clan of the Wolf

Author: Rocza

Email: roczadeb@yahoo.com

Story Status: WIP

Sequel Information: None

Series Information: Clan of the Wolf

Season: Future, Post-10, prior to Arc of Truth

Spoilers: 0403 Upgrades, 0801 New Order, 1020 Unending

Categories: AU, Action/Adventure

Pairing: Jack/Sam, Daniel/Vala, Cameron/Carolyn, Teal’c/Ishta

Content Level: R

Content Warning: Adult themes, language, violence

Summary: A virus sweeps through the SGC and gives the infected abilities similar to old were-wolf legends. Should they cure it or use it to ensure the safety of the galaxy?

Archive Permissions: Any who want it are welcome. Just give me credit.

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, Gekko Productions; not me. This story is for entertainment purposes only and no money exchanged hands. No copyright infringement intended. The story is the property of the author and may not be posted without the author’s consent.

Author’s Notes:

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

Prologue – Small Gifts

Jack sat on the bridge of the Daniel Jackson and stared out the view screen. Thor was busy on the controls and the rest of SG-1 had retired to take care of Sam. She was still pretty shook up after what Fifth had done to her.

Jack’s mind was a maelstrom of thoughts and emotions. The adrenaline had finally worn off but he couldn’t help feeling that Fifth was the least of his problems. He didn’t actually think he was going to wake up from that stasis chamber. In fact, he was quite happy to be able to wake up. What he didn’t expect was to find the entire Ancient Repository still intact in his head. Worse, he could hear thoughts and feelings coming from the others.

Thor and the other Asgard weren’t too bad. They kept their thoughts highly organized. But SG-1, Daniel and Sam in particular were hard to be around. They bombarded him with their thoughts and internal dialogue, which in turn triggered the Ancient Repository to start spitting out answers.

Whatever Thor had done to fix him had failed. Physically, he was fine. He was even speaking English. But mentally, he was carrying extra baggage. He distinctly remembered everything from his time before the stasis chamber. He remembered healing Bra’tac. He remembered reassuring Teal’c with telepathy. He remembered using the Ancient control chair. Worse, he ‘knew’ he could do it all again without the stress of the download unspooling in his mind.

He had a decision to make. Should he tell anyone or should he pretend that this time was just like the last time?

Duty told him to report the news. The Ancient Repository was chuck full of technology and other items useful to Earth. BUT…he would be basically locked up so that they could pick apart his brain. And that would be without revealing the telepathy and healing abilities. Even General Hammond wouldn’t be able to keep the vultures from circling.

But if he hid the knowledge, he would be depriving Earth of vital technology that could help them win the war with the Gou’uld and the Replicators. If he tried to help, he would eventually slip up and somebody would find out. He would end up back in that little cell with the vultures.

Regardless, he needed some space from his team. They would pick up on his new skills very quickly. They knew him too well. He would only make mistakes sooner if he kept them close.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. He was so tired of fighting politics and proper protocol just to be able to defeat Earth’s enemies. Hell, he was tired of fighting Earth’s enemies, defeating them, only to find five new ones to replace them. He was just so tired of the whole thing.

Jack sighed and looked back over at Thor, “Do you ever get tired of fighting?” he asked his Asgard friend.

Thor looked up from his control panel and blinked, “I do. But I have been unable to determine a better course of action.” Thor moved a stone and the view screen changed to the skyline of an Asgard city. “If I stop, they die. Therefore, I cannot stop.”

Jack nodded, “I’m tired, Thor. I may not have your years, but I am tired.”

Thor moved the stone. The view screen changed again to a picture of Earth from a low orbit. Jack smiled at the beauty of the planet from space. From space, it looked peaceful and serene.

“If you stop, will others pick up the sword and shield?” Thor asked him.

“Yes,” he replied without hesitation. Earth was filled with men and women willing to step forward and fill the gap.

“Then rest, my friend. Step back from the battle and rest. Valhalla can wait a few more years before you join in the feast.” Thor turned back to his control panel and returned to his work.

Jack turned back to the image of Earth. Could he step back? Create some distance from the hardships his battle-weary body had faced these last years? Would that distance save him or doom him forever?

Hammond had been hinting at retirement this last year. Jack knew that he had been feeling out Jack’s readiness to take a step back and assume command of the SGC. He hadn’t felt ready at the time. He still didn’t. But commanding the SGC would be a step back. He would be there if he was needed, but he wouldn’t be in the thick of the fighting.

Then his addled brain called up the image of Dr Weir.

Crap! Hammond was gone. He no longer had that option. Well, maybe he could convince Dr. Weir to let him slip into semi-retirement. He could train the new SGC members.

Okay, so it was more like three or four steps back, but it would give him space, time to hide his new abilities while still being involved in the program. He could still see his team, still be involved in their lives.

This time his brain pulled out the image of Sam with her new boyfriend, Pete.

Jack dropped his head and closed his eyes in defeat. That was the only flaw in his plan. He would still see them. But as hard as it would be to hide his new abilities from them, it would also be painful to be near Sam and Pete.

When Sam had given him her report about Fifth, Jack’s heart was torn apart as she described the false world and her life with Pete. Fifth would have only considered using that fantasy if it was already in Sam’s subconscious, if she already desired that outcome.

He had lost her. And with that, he allowed himself to feel exactly how tired of war he had become. He had been fighting for her. Without her, he no longer wanted to fight to save the world.

Yes, he would step back, away from the battle but not away from the war. And maybe one day he could return with a new reason to fight.

“We have arrived, O’Neill,” Thor reported.

“Thanks, Buddy. Set us down in the gate room.” Jack turned back to Thor as he stood up, “Don’t be a stranger. I don’t want to wait till Valhalla to see you again, ‘kay?”

“I will endeavor to see you again, O’Neill, when I am ‘in the neighborhood,’” Thor replied before he moved the stone and Jack was transported to the surface with the rest of SG-1.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

Daniel sat back and watched his friend as SG-1 debated Jack’s possible promotion to Brigadier General. Jack looked old and tired. Daniel had never seen his friend so…defeated before. He had seen him in just about every other state from anger and depression to almost happy, but Jack had never been defeated before.

Daniel was worried. He felt that if they didn’t convince him to take the position, he might never see his friend again.

Jack turned and looked at Daniel as if he could hear his thoughts.

“Maybe you should break it down to the pros and the cons,” Daniel supplied hopefully.

Jack gave him a wane smile before ignoring him, “I’ve spend my whole life sticking it to the man. If I do this, I’ll be the man. I don’t think I can be the man.”

“You’ll be inheriting a pretty big can of worms with the state of affairs out there,” Sam supplied unhelpfully.

Daniel cursed her inside. Why did she have to say that? That won’t convince him to stay.

“If Ba’al truly is on the verge of dominance of the System Lords we face a formidable challenge ahead,” Teal’c added.

Great, leave it to Teal’c to mention the unmentionable. Thanks a lot. Now, he’ll never want to stay. Daniel raked his brain to find reasons to stay.

“Plus, who know where and when Fifth and the other replicators will turn up,” Sam added with a slightly pained look.

Oh, that could work. Remind him of all the guys he still wants to kill off. Fifth is right up at the top next to Ba’al. Sorry, I doubted you Teal’c. So who else, pisses off Jack…politics. God, he hates politics, especially, international politics.

“Here on Earth we’ve never been under so much scrutiny as we will be, now that so many governments know about the Stargate,” Daniel added in a chipper tone. He knew that tone just irritated the hell out of Jack.

“I’ve never had a desk,” Jack supplied.

Is he even listening, “That’s…uh...um?” Daniel asked.

“Con,” Jack answered.

“Con,” Daniel repeated confused, but he nodded anyway, humoring him.

“For the record, Sir. You do have a desk,” Sam added in that perky tone that was slowly pissing Daniel off.

Do you even want him to stay? Come on, Sam. Work with me here.

“I do?”

Let’s focus, guys. Time for some positive feedback, “On the flip side of the coin, there is the fact that nobody knows how this place should be run better than you,” Daniel said, smiling at his friend.

“Why, thank you, Daniel,” Jack replied with a smile and a gesture.

“With a little guidance from your good friends and advisors, of course,” Daniel added. We’re not going anywhere, Jack. We are still here for you.

Sam smiled and added, “If you don’t take the job, we could end up with someone much worse.” Then she looked away from Jack’s blank stare and had the grace to grimace, “Okay, that didn’t come out right.”

I should think not. Daniel tried to think of a way to fix the damage.

“I, for one will miss you accompanying us on our missions, O’Neill,” Teal’c stated into the silence.

“Yeah, now see. I’m not sure I’m ready to give that up either. Sitting back, watching you guys go off and have all the fun,” Jack replied emphatically.

Not working, okay. Down side to missions…death! “Risking our lives in the face of grave danger,” Daniel stated in a foreboding tone.

“Yeah, that,” Jack replied.

He actually likes that part. Damn it! He would. Come on, Daniel. Think!

“Well, I’m sure there’ll be situations in which you can accompany us in the field, Sir,” Sam added with confidence.

Yes! Finally, Sam. “You’ll be in charge. You can do whatever you want,” Daniel added.

“I’ll be able to do whatever I want,” Jack repeated with a thoughtful look.

Uh oh. That can’t be good…Daniel quickly looked at the others alarmed.

Sam reacted first, “Within reason…Sir.”

Jack continued to look thoughtful then broke into a huge grin. “I’ll do it. And my first order of business will be to have Tuesday’s declared Double Fudge Brownie Day.”

Daniel let out a relieved sigh. Jack would be staying. He would still be around to annoy and harass us. Thank God!

“So, cake?” Jack asked the group.

Daniel gave him a huge smile and nodded, “Definitely time for a celebration.”

As the others stood up, Daniel caught Jack looking at him again. Daniel raised an eyebrow in question.

Jack just snorted and escorted him out with a friendly hand on his shoulder. “You can’t get rid of me that easily, Doctor Jackson,” Jack stated in a conspiratorial whisper.

Daniel chuckled and replied, “Can’t blame an archeologist for trying.” They walked down the hallway on a quest for cake.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

Jack wasn’t sure how he survived undetected that first year. Daniel came close to asking Jack outright if he was reading his mind several times, but never quite found the courage. Sam never did quite figure out where the schematics came from, but she was happy to implement the technology and to credit Dr. John N. Frink, Jr. from Area 51. If she had even a passing knowledge of The Simpsons, she would have figured it out, but…oh well.

But once he transferred to DC, they didn’t see him as often, so he wasn’t giving himself away as easily. The few times he slipped, he said that he read the information in a report. That excuse was never questioned. Jack was almost disappointed that they couldn’t figure it out. The DC guys just thought it was his insight into the program. President Hayes didn’t care, as long as Earth remained free.

However, on one of his many visits, Thor noticed Jack’s ability to read minds and did ask. Jack was relieved to finally be called out. He trusted Thor enough to tell him the whole story. But his response to Jack was odd. He simply said, “Then it is time,” and disappeared in a flash of light.

The next time that Jack saw Thor was the last time. Thor visited him at his cabin on one of the few weekends that he was able to free himself.

“O’Neill,” Thor said with affection as he appeared on the dock next to the small cabin.

“Thor, Buddy. What’s up?” Jack smiled at the small alien, setting down his fishing pole and beer to greet his friend.

“I have come to say good-bye, O’Neill,” Thor stated.

“But you just got here.”

Thor held out an Asgard control stone, “The High Council would like to extend the invitation to the planet Earth to visit Orilla where your people will receive a great gift.”

Jack was momentarily stunned by what he saw in the Asgard’s mind. They were dying. They could die slowly or quickly and they had opted to die quickly after they said good-bye to their allies. Their other allies had already said their farewells. Only the Tau’ri were left. The Asgard wanted to leave the Tau’ri their legacy and their last gift would pass on the responsibility of protecting the galaxy. It was the Asgard way of passing the torch.

“I...I don’t know what to say,” Jack stated. The Asgard had been their closest and most reliable ally. Jack owed them for saving his life on several occasions. He owed Thor personally for most of those saves.

“I believe that ‘Yes’ is the appropriate answer,” Thor replied dryly. He handed Jack the stone. “I also wanted to give you a gift. It is the true purpose for my visit to Earth.”

“Yeah?”

“O’Neill, you have been my friend for some years. I wanted to give you this to remember me by,” Thor held out a small pendant in the shape of Thor’s Hammer on Cimmeria.

Jack accepted the pendant and gave Thor a sad smile, “Thanks, Thor. I’ll cherish it. I just wish you could stick around a bit longer. The universe just won’t be the same without you guys.”

“You misunderstand me, O’Neill. The pendant is merely the key. The gift is in orbit.”

“Orbit, you say,” Jack added sagely. Then he saw it in Thor’s mind. A ship. The newest and most advanced of the Asgard fleet. It had barely been completed when the Asgard had made their decision to quit the mortal plane. It is where Thor had spent the last year developing the technology to interface the Asgard core into an Earth Battle Cruiser. “Cool! It has a fridge.”

“The Valkyrie will only respond to your DNA signature or voice commands,” Thor continued. “It will ensure that you will have a peaceful retirement, should that sad day ever come.”

Jack stared at the pendant in his hand, unsure what else to say, “I...”

“Learn from our mistakes, O’Neill. And if your people fail to follow your leadership, know that the Valkyrie awaits your call.” Thor laid a hand on Jack’s shoulder, “I’m afraid that I must return now. Live well, O’Neill. I will await your arrival in Valhalla.”

Jack smiled at him, “Till Valhalla, my friend.”

After Thor was transported away, Jack stared at the pendant for a long time. He slowly picked up is forgotten beer from the wooden dock and stood up. He raised his drink to the sky, “To the Asgard,” he saluted, “It’s been an honor to serve with you.” He took a drink before smashing the bottle on the rocky beach.

When he delivered the hologram invitation to the President, he was relieved when the President opted to send General Landry. He didn’t bother to let Hayes know that it was a farewell gift. He just supplied a snappy comment and went back to his cabin to mourn alone.

TBC