Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Clan of the Wolf

by Rocza
[Reviews - 16]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 6 – Research and Results

Daniel threw the coffee mug against the wall. He savored the satisfying crash and the splash as the mug shattered and spilled its contents. He had spent the last three days trying to find something, anything to help. He might as well have been helping Sam and Carolyn in the labs.

For once, history failed him. For all that werewolves were common in legends and myths, there was nothing even vaguely helpful in them, at least not if you wanted the werewolf in question to live. There was lots of advice on how to kill a werewolf, just nothing useful on how to cure one.

“Now, was that really necessary, Daniel?” Vala asked sweetly from her position lounging on the couch.

“Necessary, no. But it did make me feel better,” he answered her calmly.

She gave him a careful look, “Still nothing?”

Daniel sighed, “Zip. Nada. Zilch. Squat.” At her expectant look, Daniel sighed and continued, “Early Greek mythology tells the story of Lycaon who was turned into a wolf by Zeus as punishment for eating human flesh. He could return to human form if he abstained from human flesh for 10 years.”

“Ah, so, no immediate cure from the Greeks,” Vala quipped.

“No,” Daniel continued. “The Romans have a similar story, but this time you have to swim across a lake in Arcadia after abstaining from human flesh for 9 years. Now, European legends are a bit friendlier and basically assume that the werewolf is under a witches curse. Get the witch to remove the curse and the poor innocent is cured. Or have the afflicted kneel in one spot for 100 years, or strike the afflicted three times in the head with a knife, or my personal favorite, take off the wolf skin, belt, cloak, etc.”

“I’m fresh out of witches and I don’t think I would want to try the knife thing,” Vala shuddered.

“Yeah, so ‘no go’ on that one. The Scandinavian ulfhednar and the Latvian vilkacis seem to both be warriors who channel the spirits of the bear or wolf to enhance effectiveness in battle. They don’t list a cure, because it was an honor to serve Odin as one of these warriors,” Daniel paused. “Armenian folklore is even less useful. The afflicted are forced to were a wolfskin and kill their kin. Again, no cure. The Turkic shamans of central Asia would voluntarily be able to transform into the humanoid Kurtadam, or wolf-man, after performing long and arduous rites. And I could go on and on.”

“So…nothing useful,” Vala concluded.

“No. In fact depending on which legend you want to follow, we have either made a pact with the devil or are the chosen warriors in God’s battle with hell,” Daniel sighed and put his head down on his arms. “I think I prefer the latter…Kinda sounds romantic,” he mumbled into his arms.

Vala turned a confused look at him, “What about this whole thing with the full moon? I’ve watched several of your ‘monster movies’ and they always show the wolf-man changing only in the light of the full moon.”

Daniel turned his head, “Psshaw! The French are the only ones to link the change to the moon. Hollywood just stole the idea and mainstreamed it, same thing with a bite spreading the contagion.”

Vala quirked an eyebrow at Daniel, “But, Daniel, that is exactly what’s happening to us.”

Daniel snorted sarcastically, “Yeah, the Hollywood studios PREDICTED exactly what would happen when we got bit by alien bunnies. I’m sure Jack will just LOVE that theory.” Daniel stood up and finally joined her on the couch.

“You may have a point there,” she said as she snuggled into his side. “So are we done here?”

“Yeah, I still need to report to Landry, but I’m done. There’s nothing useful in this mess,” Daniel replied with a sigh.

“Good. Then I have something much more satisfying for you to do with your time,” she stated with a playful leer and moved to face him.

“Oh really,” Daniel said, feigning innocence. “I wonder what that could be.” He pulled her close and gave her a gentle kiss. The kiss quickly turned heated and they both quickly forgot about Landry and werewolves, at least until much later.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

Wednesday morning, Jack arrived back at the SGC. He had spent his days away trying to fend off the vultures. The politicians and the scientists were circling once news leaked about SG-1’s ability to shape-change. Jack had been able to keep them at bay only because he refused to allow anyone to break quarantine, including himself.

But then Sam had called to tell him that they had found something. They wanted to give a full briefing at the SGC. Sam had wisely keep the information to herself over the phone and requested that he attend the briefing at the SGC and he had reluctantly agreed. The IOA had somehow been informed of the briefing and were taking the opportunity to visit as well. Since Woolsey was busy in Atlantis, the IOA decided to send Shen Xiaoyi, the Chinese representative. Jack was quickly tiring of Shen’s duplicitous nature, especially since the main objective on her mind was to bring SG-1 into custody for further ‘study,’ by force if necessary.

Finally, everyone had arrived. SG-1 and Dr. Lam eyed Shen suspiciously, but kept their comments to themselves. Jack, seated at the head of the table, smiled at the group. “Morning, kids. What ya got for us?” Jack started, ensuring an informal atmosphere. Hank just shook his head at Jack’s behavior, but Shen stared at him with narrowed eyes. Jack returned the glare until she was forced to look away.

Daniel cleared his throat to draw attention away from the political foot shuffling, “Good morning. I…ah…wanted to go first, since…well, to put it bluntly, history is of no use to us in this case. I could go through all the social, religious, and political connotations…”

“That’s alright, Daniel. Can you summarize it?...Two sentences or less?” Jack interrupted.

Daniel grinned, expecting that answer, “Yes, actually. Society will either damn us as in league with the devil or praise us as holy warriors of God in battle against the forces of hell.” Daniel smirked at Jack’s poleaxed expression.

“That good, huh?” Jack replied after a short moment of silence.

“Oh yeah. Other than that, nothing relevant or useful,” Daniel finished and he sat down with a flourish.

Dr. Carolyn Lam smiled at the archeologist before rising and taking her position in front of the view screen, “It took us several days to isolate the pathogen. The original ‘Bugs’ virus has mutated in SG-1. The original virus is completely gone. Gamma site followed proper protocols. The new virus strain appears to be a cross between the Bugs virus and the Broca virus. Both are very similar retroviruses from the parvovirus family.”

Carolyn hit a button on the remote and three pictures appeared side-by-side. “As you can see the new strain shares characteristics from both the Broca and the Bugs viruses. Unfortunately, the new virus uses somatic cell replication to continue to propagate. We have found both reverse transcription and integrase actions at the cellular level…”

“In English, Doc,” Jack interrupted, before she got too far into her description.

“The virus is incorporating itself into the DNA of the affected member at a cellular level and when the cell replicates, so does the virus,” she summarized.

“Well, that sounds bad. Is there a way to stop it?” Jack asked anxiety in his voice.

Sam stood up and joined Carolyn at the screen, “Yes and no. Early in the infection, the virus is limited to specific cells. Because of its relationship to the Broca virus, it is sensitive to histamine levels. But…chlorpheniramin, the drug we used to cure the Broca virus is completely ineffective. We have tested every other drug known to affect histamine and have only found one drug that has very limited success, quetiapine.”

Jack sat back, “I hear a ‘but’…”

Sam grinned at him, “Yes, you do. But…it is only effective early in the infection, it requires prolonged use, and it has some very serious side effects. For late stage infection, nothing we have tried is effective.”

“How long is ‘prolonged’ and what side-effects?” Hank asked concerned about how long they would need to medicate the quarantined people. He didn’t want to risk his people with a risky treatment.

Dr. Lam stepped up again, “A minimum of two weeks. The most common side effects are sedation, constipation, headache, dry mouth, dramatic changes in weight, abnormal liver function, dizziness, restlessness, and paranoia. More rare are the risks of tardive dyskinesia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, and diabetes.

“Just what the hell is that drug used for? Is it even FDA approved?” Jack interrupted, fuming. He was certain that the treatment had to be worse then the disease.

Carolyn looked down and away from his anger. Jack regretted his outburst and motioned her to continue, “It’s approved to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Some physicians even use it as a sleep aid.”

Shen leaned forward towards Jack and placed on hand possessively on his arm, “What of those who are considered ‘late stage’? What is to be done with them?”

Jack immediately looked into her mind. Shen had pushed to have the IOA issue Jack certain directives. He was told that if Carolyn could find no way to cure the disease, the infected were to be put into custody and transferred to various members of the Stargate Alliance. The excuse for the transfer was to give the infected a better chance to find a cure. But each one was pondering the ramifications of a shape shifting army. Shen was almost salivating over the possibilities.

Jack yanked his arm out of her reach and was about to form a scathing reply when Sam suddenly appeared between him and Shen. Sam’s thoughts were aggressive and possessive. Jack smiled in pride and leaned back to let her handle Shen.

Sam leaned down close to Shen and she licked her lips to moisten them. Shen tensed at the predatory nature of her gaze. Sam grinned evilly as she said, “Those of us that are ‘late stage’ have yet to make that decision.” Sam leaned in closer so her mouth was next to Shen’s ear, “Fear smells so good on you. So…tasty…” Sam breathed into her ear. Sam clicked her teeth shut and grinned as Shen jumped back startled.

“Carter, enough,” Jack growled at her. Sam immediately relented and moved back to stand possessively at his side. “Continue, Doctor,” Jack gestured back to Carolyn who was watching the exchange with grin.

“Yeah…um…late stage infection is when the virus has saturated every cell. We think that this is when the shifting is triggered. The virus changes the DNA in amazing ways. The infected member essentially becomes immune to disease and toxins. The cell replication is done at an amazing rate. The changes we have noticed in just SG-1 include a reversal in the signs of aging, increased strength and stamina, rapid healing of bones and soft tissue…”

“Bones?” Jack asked angrily. “You broke someone’s bones?”

“No. Actually, that was me,” Cam spoke up quickly coming to Carolyn’s defense. “See, Teal’c and I were sparring and we kinda got…rough.”

Jack glared at Cam and the man wilted, tilting his head to expose his throat, “Fine. Doctor, what about the early stages?”

“Well, aside from the scent identification, the individuals seem to withdraw from interacting outside of the other infected, they share dreams, and they show smaller but noted increases in health and strength,” Carolyn finished.

Jack glanced around the room. He could feel Hank’s anxiety and Shen’s greed. He fixed each of SG-1 a look. Sam returned his gaze with trust and love. Daniel looked away to focus on Vala. Cam also looked away to find Carolyn. Vala and Teal’c returned his gaze, waiting. He narrowed his eyes at them, “Care to share, Teal’c, Vala?”

Teal’c bowed his head, “I do not wish to be cured, O’Neill. This new form is a blessing. I am finally free of the curse the Goa’uld placed on my people. I am a more effective warrior. I wish to remain as I am now.”

Jack nodded at Teal’c in acknowledgement, “Vala?” Jack turned to the alien woman.

Vala gave him a warm smile, “I too wish to remain as I am. This ‘disease’ has many advantages with few disadvantages.” She held up her hand and shifted it to include sharp claws at the tips of her fingers. “I like the possibilities,” she finished and shifted her hand back to normal.

“What about the others, Doc?” Jack asked as he gestured vaguely.

Carolyn glanced up at him, “I’ve talked to the ones with clearance and they basically feel the same. Most are afraid that the cure would kill them or members of their families, whereas the disease…only seems to make them stronger. I believe that Colonel Dixon is the best one to speak for the group.”

Jack turned to one of the guards in the room, “Please inform Colonel Dixon that we need him in the meeting.” The guard saluted and sprinted out of the room. Jack turned to Hank, “You have anything to add, Hank?”

Hank sighed, “I feel like I’m missing something. But I don’t know what. If there is only the one drug that works, then we have to try treatment. We can’t spread this thing out across Earth.” Hank looked at each member of SG-1, “I don’t know what do you about the rest of you though and I’m afraid I already know what the government will recommend.”

Daniel looked at him hard, “Permanent confinement and quarantine. Right, Shen?”

Shen looked startled and then turned smug, “There is no other option. You are contagious, a risk to the planet.” She flinched when Sam stepped in her direction.

Colonel Dixon entered with the guard behind him. He glanced around the room at the tense atmosphere. When his eyes fell on Jack, they widened slightly. Jack nodded at the unspoken question of his own infection. “You wanted to see me, Sir,” he addressed Jack, ignoring the others.

Jack gave him a reassuring smile, “Yeah, Dave. Did Doc give you the rundown on the possible treatment for this thing?”

Dixon frowned, “Yeah, it doesn’t sound like much of a treatment.”

Jack nodded and continued, “What’s your take on this? Treat it now, while you can, or let the virus progress? I want your opinion as a father, not as an officer.”

Dixon looked away and collected his thoughts before turning back to Jack, “I would leave it. That drug can cause permanent neurological problems if used short term. Doc said that we would need to use it long term. I might risk myself, but it’s not just me. I sure as hell don’t want to give my kids that crap. I would rather wait for a better cure.”

Jack looked into his eyes, “And if there is none?”

Dixon returned the look and replied firmly, “Then so be it.” He gave Jack a reassuring smile, “The others feel the same way. We talked about it. We’ve been watching Teal’c and Mitchell spar. We understand the risks and the limitations. Que sera, sera.”

Jack chuckled, “You’re all sure?” Jack took in everyone in the room. He received a nod from everyone but Hank and Shen. Hank looked confused and Shen looked triumphant. Jack was more than ready to disappoint her.

Jack stood up, “Alright, Sam, Dave, gather everyone in the quarantine quarters. Carolyn, Cam, destroy all the samples you have. Daniel, Vala, Teal’c gather your things. We won’t be coming back to the base.”

“No, they are all under my custody,” Shen exclaimed triumphantly. “Restrain them,” she directed the guards to SG-1 as they tried to exit the room.

The guards hesitated and looked at Hank. Jack took their hesitation as an opportunity and whirled on Shen. He grabbed her by the neck and lifted her with one hand and slammed her against the wall.

“You will not touch them,” Jack stated in more of a growl than steady voice. He felt her anger fade to be replaced with pure terror, then she fainted. Jack dropped her to the floor in disgust. “If I were you, Hank, I would lock her up and throw away the key.” Then he turned on the guards, “Move!” They jumped out of the way and the whole group left Jack with Hank.

“Jack, what are you doing?” Hank asked, trying to hold him back with a hand.

“We’re leaving, Hank,” Jack stated firmly as he shook off the other man’s hand. “The President handed down orders to put them all into ‘protective custody.’ I won’t do that. They don’t deserve to be rewarded for their service and sacrifice with a prison sentence. I know I won’t tolerate it.”

Hank’s eyes widened in surprise as the implications sunk in, “You...?”

Jack gave him a lopsided grin, “Yup, and the Doc if you didn’t notice.”

Hank sucked in a shocked breath, “Oh, God!”

“Make sure you take care of the rest of them, Hank,” Jack said softly before quickly exiting the briefing room.

It took Hank almost a full minute before he could follow. But no matter how much he tried, he couldn’t catch up to Jack. He was pushed aside and blocked by the others at every turn. He finally stood at the edges of the group as the last of them arrived. Daniel and Vala were toting large boxes of books. Teal’c had a small duffle tossed over his shoulder. All the newly infected people had their personal possessions in their arms waiting.

Jack checked one final time to make sure everyone was present before touching his Thor’s hammer pendant, “Val, execute plan B.” The whole group disappeared in the white flash of an Asgard transport beam.

Hank stared at the empty space, “Good luck, my friends.” He slowly turned back to his office to make a phone call on the red phone. He had a few choice words for his Commander-In-Chief.

TBC