Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Clan of the Wolf

by Rocza
[Reviews - 16]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 5 – Quarantine

General Landry was called at home on Saturday morning and notified of a potential biological disease outbreak by his daughter, Dr. Carolyn Lam. He dutifully returned to base as requested to get the ball rolling on recalling all possibly affected personnel. To say he was surprised to see General O’Neill in his office is an understatement.

“Jack, how’d you get here so quickly?” Hank asked in an off-hand manner.

Jack just smiled, “Rode a white light, Hank.”

“So, what is this all about?” Hank asked directly. He was assuming that the SGC personnel had already briefed Jack.

Jack hesitated only a second before he responded. He now understood what the others meant by other people ‘smelling’ wrong. Jack had been infected less than a day and his good friend no longer felt right. Jack probed with his mind and found that Hank was the same man. But his gut didn’t trust him anymore. Odder still, Jack didn’t feel a great sense of loss. Rather, he felt a strong need to protect ‘his’ people. His pack.

Jack considered how much to reveal. He didn’t want to spread the virus any further, if it was a virus. But he didn’t want to endanger the individuals infected either. He could think of several unscrupulous groups that would want to experiment on a real live shape-shifter. Right now that small group included SG-1. But Jack had no doubts that the others would eventually become shape shifters like them. He was torn on how best to protect both groups, the infected and the uninfected.

Finally, he compromised. SG-1 was obviously the source, but Lam and Jack were unknowns. He would spare the doctor and himself from the confinement of quarantine. Some of the pack needed to be free. Of all of them, Jack and Carolyn were the least likely to spread the infection further. They were also in the best positions to help the others if the situation went south quickly.

“SG-1 is still infected with the Bugs Virus,” Jack stated suddenly. “They have spread it to several people within the SGC. Those people in turn may have spread it further. Lam and Carter are working on identifying the viral agent while Daniel and Vala are researching one of the more amazing symptoms,” Jack briefed quickly.

“How?...I thought they were virus free when they left quarantine?” Hank asked astounded, as he slumped into his chair.

Jack frowned, “So did they. But their first night back they manifested a new symptom,” Jack stated rather vaguely.

“And what is that?” Hank asked, searching his desk for a notepad.

“Yeah, well, that’s the thing…seeing is believing,” Jack stood up and opened the door to the office. “Mitchell,” Jack called and motioned the man inside.

Hank watched curiously. By all appearances, Colonel Mitchell didn’t look different or sick.

Cam walked in wearing loose fitting sweats. Jack eyed him closely then ordered, “Go ahead, show him.”

Cam nodded, expecting the order, and slipped his shoes off. He closed his eyes and seemed to melt before Hanks eyes. When the fluid finally stopped moving, a large wolf was wearing Cam’s sweats and was staring at him expectantly. Hank got the strange feeling that Cam was trying to decide whether or not to rip his throat out.

“Enough,” Jack barked with a slight growl in his voice.

Hank watched the wolf flinch, bare his throat to Jack, then the figure melted upward and Colonel Mitchell once again stood before him in his sweats. Hank was surprised to see Cam maintain the bared throat posture after his change back.

“Take a seat, Mitchell,” Jack gestured.

“Yes, Sir,” Cam replied promptly, and dropped into the other seat.

“Well…I don’t know exactly what to say,” Hank started, still trying to process the information. “They found this out after they got back to Earth?”

“Yes, Sir,” Cam answered, “That first night back I was wandering around…restless. Next thing I know, I’m running on four feet. It’s kinda cool actually.” Cam was smiling at the memory.

“Does it hurt?” Hank asked, curious.

“No. I get kind of tingly. When it stops, I’m different,” Cam replied with a quick look to Jack.

“How’d you find out?” Hank asked Jack.

Jack gave him a wan smile, “They trusted me enough to show me. We talked about it this morning. I initiated the recall and the quarantine.” Jack gave Cam a firm look before continuing, “We think that SG-3, SG-13, and the SF’s who sparred with Teal’c may have been exposed. Just in case, we wanted to call in all their family and close contacts.”

Jack felt Cam freeze when he heard the incomplete list. Jack pushed the thought into his mind, -Plan A is a cure. Plan B is escape.- Cam relaxed. Jack felt his understanding. Jack was certain that he wouldn’t reveal Carolyn or himself.

“Well, how do they know that others have been infected? If they were virus-free, couldn’t these changes be limited to SG-1?” Hank asked confused, oblivious to the byplay between the other two men.

“Go on, tell him,” Jack directed to Cam, who seemed reluctant to give more information.

“Smell,” Cam said finally. “They smell different.”

“What? How can someone smell different?” Hank asked.

Cam shifted in his seat, uncomfortable trying to explain, “Well, almost everyone here smells...wrong. But Teal’c said that by the end of the sparring session, those guys smelled...like brothers...you know, right...” Cam sighed. “It’s rather hard to explain.”

“And I smell...?” Hank continued that train of thought.

“Uh...wrong,” Cam said with a wince.

“Right, so we can at least diagnose who is infected and who isn’t based on your nose. Now, what’s the plan?” Hank asked.

“The same plan as usual, let our people do their jobs and fix it then press on as always,” Jack replied, forcing humor into his voice.

Hank laughed, “Same old Jack…Wait, how do we know that we couldn’t be infecting others by letting them run around the base?”

“Well, for one, if you were able to get it by being in the same room, you would already be infected. So would the entire Gamma site. I think we can rule out an airborne infection. For another, have you seen the aftermath of one of Teal’c’s sparring sessions? Blood, sweat, and tears everywhere,” Jack stated with a grin. “I think you’ll be safe by just keeping Teal’c’s sparring to those already identified as infected.”

“Alright, I get the picture. I’ll get with Colonel Carter and Carolyn and see what we know.”

“And I’ll be in Washington running interference. As of right now, no one is to be transferred off this base without my express permission,” Jack finished as he stood up. Jack turned to Cam, “Pass the word to the others.” He once again pushed into Cam’s mind. –Spread the word about Lam and I.-

“Yes, Sir,” Cam replied with a nod, and then he stood and headed out.

Jack gave Hank one last considering look, “I’ll be in touch, Hank. Take care of ‘em.” Then he turned and started for the surface.

Hank nodded in agreement, and called after him, “I will, Jack. Don’t worry.”

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

By noon, over 60 individuals and their family members had been screened and added to the quarantined section. General Landry had designated one floor of private quarters for all those identified as infected. Guards had been stationed at the elevators and stairs and the speakers had been disabled for base-wide alerts. All family members without clearance were told that they had been exposed to a rare strain of South American Influenza. Hank was still confident that Colonel Carter and Dr. Lam would find a cure.

Overall, the group took the confinement well. The children were shy and reserved until they reached the quarantine level where they perked up instantly. Hank had expected more protest over being locked up in the mountain. He at least expected his own officers to question why they were suddenly under quarantine. But instead of asking him what was going on, they would turn to Colonel Mitchell, Teal’c, or, more surprising, Vala when any of them made an appearance.

One of the break rooms was converted into a playground, while the others were setup as entertainment areas. However, one break room was reserved for sparring. The military members needed a place to maintain their training and to blow some steam off. None of them liked the inactivity of confinement, and after a single day, the sparring room was very popular.

Teal’c and Cam did their best to keep the others in line. However, by the third day in quarantine, they needed to work out their frustrations as well. So they set up a sparring session of their own. By mutual consent they decided not to use sparring staffs and instead squared off in hand to hand.

Teal’c stood firm and ready waiting for Cam to attack. Cam in turn would feint and test Teal’c’s defenses. Finally, Cam began an aggressive attack with a series of punches and kicks designed to push Teal’c back. Teal’c was ready and responded by blocking the most obvious hits before returning a solid blow of his own to Cam’s head.

The hit momentarily stunned Cam and Teal’c pressed his advantage grabbing Cam in a loose headlock. Cam struggled against Teal’c and tried to free himself. Then he suddenly melted changing form. He dropped to the ground as a wolf and whirled around to face off again.

Teal’c eyed the wolf with a feral grin, “Good move, Colonel Mitchell.”

Cam ran swiftly about the room in a blur that only Teal’c was able to follow. He finally jumped at Teal’c’s back and melted at the last second to reform with Teal’c in a headlock. Teal’c broke the hold and threw Cam across the room where he hit the wall hard and lay still on the floor.

Teal’c stalked over and stood over his downed opponent, “Do you yield?” he asked quietly.

Cam coughed once and winced as he shifted position, “Yeah, I give.” He bared his throat before glancing up.

Teal’c smiled and offered him a hand up, “I believe that there are many advantages to our current condition.”

Cam stretched and looked at his back where he had hit the wall. The red marks and bruising was already disappearing along with the pain he had felt initially. Cam looked back at Teal’c with a huge grin, “I think you’re right.” He did a few experimental moves testing the healed tissue, “Nice.”

“Perhaps we should discover the limits of our new forms,” Teal’c stated. “We should be prepared if a cure is impossible.”

“Of course, what do you want me to do?” Cam asked and Teal’c explained how exactly they would push their new limits. Cam readily agreed.

TBC