Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Clan of the Wolf

by Rocza
[Reviews - 16]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 4 – Revelations

Jack woke up in the dark, alone. He wasn’t expecting to be alone. He slowly got up and pulled his boxers on. After a quick trip to the bathroom, he began to wander the house in search of Sam. Instead of a beautiful blonde, he found the back door wide open.

If she went out, then she had to have put some clothes on. The night air was cold on his bare skin. Jack went back to the bedroom and dressed quickly before heading out the back door.

He scanned the yard and still didn’t see Sam. He was beginning to get worried. She wouldn’t have just left, right? After all, this was her house. He wandered around the side of the house, hoping that she was just out of sight.

Jack froze when he spotted the dog. Big dog. Really, big dog. The animal as sitting squarely in the path and was watching him with open curiosity.

Jack stood still, not wanting to spook it. He took his time carefully looking it over. No collar. No tags. Seems friendly. Odd markings, almost like a wolf, but way too big for a wolf. Hybrid most likely.

“Easy, big fella,” Jack spoke softly and took a tentative step forward.

The dog snorted at him and gave him a look, as if he were being dense on purpose.

After a closer second look, Jack noted the neat lines of a female. He laughed and relaxed, “I’m sorry, My Lady. I didn’t mean to offend.”

The dog reacted to him by coming over and pressing into his legs. Jack automatically started scratching her ears. Soon, he was squatting down next to the dog getting his share of doggie kisses as he roughed up her fur.

“As much as I’d like to continue, I can’t. I’m looking for someone. You wouldn’t happen to know where Sam went, would ya?” he asked the dog as he stood up, giving her one last scratch.

To his surprise, the dog gave a single bark, sat down, and regarded him carefully.

Jack raised an eyebrow in surprise, “You do?”

The dog gave another bark in response.

“Okay, this is only slightly weirder than normal,” he replied. Then he reached with his mind. He had used his telepathy on animals before with limited results. Animals just didn’t think past right now. They couldn’t give intelligence outside of something being good or bad. But he might be able to get an impression of where Sam went. Maybe if she was alone or not.

Jack was shocked when his mind touched not a dog, but Sam. This was Sam, not a dog at all.

He dropped to his knees and grabbed the scruff of her neck, “Sam!”

She yipped happily and began to lick his face again.

“What?! How? God, I don’t even know where to begin,” Jack was beginning to panic.

Sam butted him with her head to get his attention and then barked sharply once.

Jack focused back on her. His mind found the images in her head. How she felt distant from the others at the SGC. How she found herself feeling stronger in body and overall health. How the team shared their dreams. How she noticed her senses coming alive, scent and sound overwhelming her. Finally, Sam finding herself transformed into a wolf. Then she was feeling so alone that she sought comfort from the pack. She finally decided to seek out Jack as her mate. The images faded as her love and need for Jack began to dominate her thoughts.

“It’s okay. I got you. I’m yours. Okay?” Jack tried to reassure her, holding her head close.

Sam nuzzled him and continued to lick his face reassured. She took a few steps away and looked back, regarding him. Finally, she yipped and started out across the yard, stopping to see if he was following.

Jack raised an eyebrow and started to follow her. She led him out the yard and through the park across the street. Once they were safely enclosed in the trees of the park, Sam let out a long loud howl.

Jack was momentarily stunned at her behavior. He settled himself on a nearby rock and waited as she continued to howl. The sound was welcoming and alien at the same time. Soon, he heard an answering howl from nearby. Sam stopped howling and took a seat next to him, waiting.

Before long he noticed the shadows parting and slowing forming into more solid shapes. Four new wolves approached. Jack watched amazed as Sam waited for each of the newcomers to come forward and greet them. They approached Sam first eyes down and throat exposed. Then they each regarded him.

Jack returned the stares until they looked away and offered their throat. He acknowledged the greeting by touching them gently on the head or ears. With each touch, he found another member of SG-1. They each licked his hand when he said their names out loud. They were all exactly like Sam, fully human minds in a furry body.

And now they were looking to him. Whatever distance he had felt earlier at the bar, was gone. They trusted him. They looked to him to lead them.

And he didn’t know what to do.

Sam nuzzled his hand and he scratched her ears absently. “I don’t know what to say, guys. We’ve got to talk about this when you’re…back to normal. I’ll…be with Sam. Come over in the morning. I…I have a safe place to talk.” He gave a deep sigh, “I don’t see this staying a secret forever.”

Sam gently took his hand in her teeth, trying to get his attention, then barked once.

Jack pushed into her mind and found her desire. They wanted to run. They were going to enjoy the night and their freedom. Jack smiled at that thought. “Go on, I’d only slow you down. I’ll be waiting at home.”

Sam barked her response, before jumping up, paws on his shoulders, and gave his chin a quick lick. Then she was down and racing off into the trees with the others following closely.

Jack turned away and slowly walked back to Sam’s house, his mind racing with the possibilities and problems of this latest discovery.

--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG--SG

Sam found Jack asleep on the couch and curled up next to him. When she woke the next morning, Jack had shifted to holding her tightly in his sleep. Sam decided that she really liked waking up to a snuggly Jack.

Her initial fear over revealing her changes to Jack were long past. He had accepted her new form as much as he had accepted and loved her human form. He had been anxious and afraid for her, but he had accepted all of them with an open mind.

“Good morning,” Jack stated as he looked sleepily at her.

“Good morning,” she replied with a grin. “I’m surprised you decided to sleep on the couch.”

Jack chuckled, “I didn’t. I was waiting for you. I guess I lost the battle with the sandman.”

Sam smiled back at him, “Hungry?”

“Of course! Pancakes?” he asked.

“Um…sounds good. Make lots of bacon, too,” Sam replied.

“Done.”

They enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. Both carefully avoided talking about Sam’s shape-shifting adventure. Sam tried to bring it up once, but Jack stopped her and made an oblique reference to hidden ears. Sam got the message and carefully avoided the topic after that.

All too soon, the rest of SG-1 had gathered and were quietly looking to Jack for the next step. Sam was curious about his safe place. She figured he knew of a place they would all drive. But instead he just had them all gather, in Sam’s living room.

Finally, Jack smiled and addressed the ceiling, “Val, baby, can you please put me and my friends in the conference room. Thanks.”

Sam was surprised, momentarily when the whole group was surrounded by the white light of an Asgard transport beam.

Sam quickly took in her new surroundings. She had expected the conference room on either the Odyssey or Daedalus. Instead, she was greeted by a distinctly Asgard room with a human conference table and chairs.

“Welcome to the Valkyrie. Please take a seat,” Jack announced to the group.

Sam waited for more, but Jack just lifted her hand and led her to the head of the table where he took his seat. Sam just shook her head at him and settled on his left.

“So,” Jack began, “Please enlighten me.” He continued at their suspicious glances around the room, “Don’t worry. I’m the only one alive who knows about this ship…well, besides all of you now…anyway, it’s a long story and we have other fish to fry.” He gave a continue gesture.

Predictably, Daniel started off the story with what they knew about the Bugs Virus and how they had changed since quarantine. They each relayed how they had been transformed two days ago, their first night back on Earth. Sam finished by explaining how they each felt an emotional distance to some people at the SGC, but not others.

“Yeah,” Daniel explained, “When Carolyn did our exams, something was…off. She didn’t smell right. But last night…she was fine.” Then Daniel frowned, “Come to think of it, I had the same problem with you yesterday. But today…”

“Yeah,” Cam seconded. “Today, you smell right.”

Jack raised an eyebrow in response, “Ah. Well, what’s changed?”

They all turned to Sam when she stated, “We’re together…Cam and Carolyn are together. Would that be enough?”

“Could be,” Daniel stated, then he frowned, “Or it could be that we have passed on…whatever to Jack and Carolyn through…you know…” Daniel blushed bright red.

“Ah, Lycanthropy as an STD. Interesting theory, Daniel,” Jack quipped, feeling his own ears flush in embarrassment. Cam looked uncomfortable as well.

“Wait,” Sam interrupted. ”Yesterday, Teal’c was training some Marines and they felt right. And I doubt that anyone of us spent ‘quality time’ with them.”

“Indeed, by the end of the sparing session, they felt like brothers,” Teal’c added.

“End?” Jack asked.

Teal’c considered the question and attempted to answer, “At the beginning of the session, I felt the dissonance of their presence. However, by the end of the session, we were in harmony.”

“So this…whatever…could have been passed while you trained?” Jack summarized.

“Yes.”

Jack narrowed his eyes, “Are they the only ones you trained with?”

“They are not. Many members of the SGC expressed their interest in resuming my training sessions. The Marines of SG-3, SG-13, and a dozen of the security forces based on Earth were all eager to get started yesterday. I obliged them,” Teal’c’s matter of fact statement floored them.

“This can’t be good,” Cam supplied for the group.

“Alright, let’s think this through,” Jack stated as he rose and started to pace the floor. “First, we need to quarantine all the folks we know about…and their families immediately. Mitchell, get Dr. Lam back to the base and inform General Landry of the quarantine so he can get the ball rolling on recalling the affected personnel.”

“Right,” Cam stood up and looked around uncertainly. “Um…how…?”

“Val, send Colonel Mitchell back to Sam’s house,” Cam disappeared. “Now, how did you get past the SGC’s screening? Your blood work from Gamma was clean,” Jack asked.

Sam brightened, “What if it’s not transmitted through the blood? I mean, rabies is most active in the saliva. Very rarely, viruses are known to show up in sweat. It can’t be airborne or the whole SGC would feel right. So transmission must be more involved.” She sat back and worked through different possible scenarios before addressing the group again. “I think I know of a few tests that I can run. I’ll work with Carolyn and we’ll see what we can find.”

“Good,” Jack smiled at her. “Daniel, any help on the historical side of the house?”

“Um…maybe. I could start researching werewolf legends. We could see if a cure is hiding there,” Daniel replied, considering where to start the search.

“Excellent. You and Vala get right on that. Teal’c, I want you on detection duty. Let’s make sure we find everyone that is currently infected at the SGC. No more sparring, got it?” Jack asked.

“Indeed,” Teal’c replied.

“Val, send us back to Sam’s,” Jack ordered.

The group was surrounded by white light and rematerialized in Sam’s living room. All but Sam quickly dispersed to complete their assigned tasks.

Sam pulled Jack to her in a tight hug, “I’m sorry.”

“I’m not,” he whispered in her ear. “Come on, let’s go solve this mystery.”

“’kay,” she replied and slowly released her grip. She gave him a sad smile and led him to her car. “So…Valkyrie, huh?” she asked.

“Um…yeah. Thor called it my retirement plan,” Jack started. He spent the drive to the mountain telling her about Thor’s last visit and his last gift.

TBC