Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site
Printer starstarstarstarstar


Zusammenfassung: What if the Ancient knowledge could be passed down genetically like the Goa'uld?
Eingestuft: GEN [Reviews - 19]
Kategorie: December 2007 Fic Challenge, Jack/Sam
Charaktere: Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter
Episode Related: 0721 Lost City
Genres: Action/Adventure, Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Romance
Holiday: None
Season: Season 7
Warnings: character death, violence
Crossovers: None
Herausforderung: None
Serie: None
Kapitel: 7 Abgeschlossen: Yes
Wörter: 80141 Gelesen: 17605
Veröffentlicht: 2007.12.24 Aktualisiert: 2008.03.04



Story Anmerkungen: This piece leaves the show at the al'kesh scene of Jack's second Ancient mindtrip on the way back from Taonas in 'Lost City' and assumes Janet didn't die in 'Heroes'. The first is important because it's the what-if of the story. What if the Ancient knowledge could be passed down genetically like the Goa'uld? The second is only important in that I loved 'Heroes' but hate its consequences and bring Janet back every chance I get.)


1. Inside the Dragon's Egg by Offworlder [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarstar (12741 words)

2. Ancient Thoughts by Offworlder [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarstar (17157 words)
Stories tend to take their own initiative and sometimes become something totally different than what they were intended to be. Inside the Dragon’s Egg did that…it not only changed its direction and focus, but even named itself. It was, up until the end, a fun story, a bit of light reading with a hint of potential trouble that would let us see a more or less happy ending for our heroes, and then Ally said “Yes, Sir” one too many times and smiled and the beautiful, innocent little girl I’d envisioned, suddenly took on a life and a danger all her own. I wasn’t at all pleased, instead of an ending it became a beginning; instead of happy at least for the time being it became tense and broody and here we go againish.

If I’d had time, I might have put my foot down and had it out with her right there. Instead, I let things stand to meet the deadline for the challenge and haven’t had a moment’s rest as a result…unfortunately, innocence once lost is hard to regain, and this piece falls far short of bringing things back where I meant them to be. It isn’t an ending, or truly even a furthering of the original story…it is instead an in-depth study of the character who got away; a look at what was behind that innocence who began as a mere plot device but became something more. For those seeking action and adventure, this isn’t what you’re looking for. It is a mind piece without answers, without conclusions, and, in addition, it is a rehash of Inside the Dragon’s Egg from another view point. It may be of no interest to anyone beside myself, but…here it is anyway, because it insisted it had to written.

3. States of Readiness by Offworlder [Reviews - 0] (13617 words)
When I started this I did not realize it would be the never-ending story. I should have known that once you begin to gaze into a dragon's egg the possibilities you glimpse are endless and never completely safe. What I saw in the murkiness of this chapter was something I would much rather have never seen...and certainly if I had wanted to draw this little fanfic to a close I should have closed my eyes, put my fingers in my ears, and hummed loudly as they say. But, by the time I saw where it would inevitably end, it was already too late. I was forced to begin a fourth chapter in a desperate attempt at damage control before this one had completely unfolded. I highly recommend only beginning this if you have the time to go on to the next...it's just that sort of a story.
4. Peering Through the Glass Darkly or Her Mother's Daughter by Offworlder [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (9379 words)
As I've stated before, this wasn't supposed to be this kind of story...I'm willing to concede there will be no happy ever after here, but I'm not willing to let this story end with States of Readiness. This is once again my attempt at damage control...
5. Two Roads by Offworlder [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (13557 words)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. (Robert Frost...The Road Not Taken)

At a guess, no one has bothered to wade their way through the rambling run-ons and rabbit trails of this story without being at least somewhat a fan of Sci-fi and this little note is probably both unnecessary and slightly offensive; but just in case:

Way back towards the end of season 7 the Carter of this story made a decision to follow a path that diverged significantly from the path that carried on with the series...and that as Robert Frost so ably said, 'has made all the difference.' Things from there have progressively changed, some almost indiscernibly (I hope anyway) and some quite drastically...suffice it to say, that things by this point aren't going to match up with canon--which means I can take a big breath of relief (yea!) but no longer have an excuse for staying up all night watching SG-1 DVDs (bummer!).

6. One Day by Offworlder [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstarstar (11000 words)

7. Epilogue by Offworlder [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarstar (2690 words)
Occasionally a story draws to a close with just a few bits and pieces left over. Sometimes they don't amount to much, and it's easy enough to dump them. But every once in awhile, the picture they evoke in my mind is too vivid for me to let go. Or they tie up a point that for one reason or another didn't get covered in the story, and things just feel a bit undone without them.

Though I include them here as a sort of epilogue, they are really just the leftovers. You can decide if they are worth saving or not.

Support Heliopolis