Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Little Angel

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
A lot of people asked for a sequel, since it was the weekend and I had nothing to do but avoid the football, I managed to get this done.
Enjoy
“Jack.”

The voice intruded on my rather enjoyable dream where I was on a tropical island with nothing to do but sit and watch my Simpsons collection.

“Jack.”

I sighed as the voice came again and I peeled open my eyes to find my mini-archaeologist from hell standing looking down at me.

“Daniel?”

“Morning, Jack,” he grinned at me, completely innocent as though he hadn’t woke me up, “It’s time for breakfast.”

I sat up, wincing as my muscles complained – Abydos is not exactly the Ritz, “And you’re making me get up today specifically?”

He shrugs, innocence and sweetness radiating from him, “Kasuf said.”

I muttered under my breath as I dragged myself up, I don’t care what Daniel says this was not the most comfortable sleeping apparatus – then again during his year here he did have a pretty young woman sleeping beside him.

As I stood up, I realised Daniel had gotten rid of the BDU’s he’d come here in and was wearing Abydonian robes. They were just a mini version of the ones he has in his closest back on Earth and I barely managed not to laugh at him as he went skipping across the sand, barefoot towards where Kasuf was sitting.



When this first happened Thor told me that there would be times that Daniel would behave like he was five but I didn’t really see it that much. Other than his tendency to bounce around like he’d drank a ton of coffee he had been his usual self - mostly. But here with Kasuf I saw the other side of the coin. Daniel spent most of his time, when he wasn’t running around playing with the other kids, sitting in Kasuf’s lap looking extremely content.

I wandered over and took a seat next to Kasuf and the innocent looking terror, Daniel was sitting happily munching on some sort of bread as he leaned back against his father-in-law.

“Jack,” my attention was pulled away from my breakfast to Daniel.

“Yeah?”

“We have to go back to Earth tonight;” he frowned, “Don’t we?”

“‘Fraid so,” I replied, I hated that we only had a short time here because I was seeing my friend in a whole new light, “Hammond needs us back.”

Daniel let out a deep sigh.

“You are needed,” Kasuf reminded him, gently rubbing Daniel’s back soothingly, “And O’Neill has assured me that it will be only a short time you are like this.”

Daniel nodded, “Yeah,” sounding slightly sad.

“And I expect a visit once you are yourself once more, Good Son,” Kasuf told him sternly.

Daniel turned and hugged Kasuf tightly, “I promise, Good Father.”

*********************************************

“Okay,” I said as I turned off the engine, “What are the rules we agreed on, Daniel?”

In the mirror I could see my currently mini best friend roll his eyes at me.

“I act like I’m five, meaning no trying to pay for things with my credit card, no coffee and no pointing out how that’s the brand of beer I like” he rhymes off with a smirk on his little face, “Hey, does this mean I can throw a tantrum when you won’t buy me chocolate?”

“No,” I automatically respond before groaning, annoyed he managed to get that from me.

Daniel chuckles, “Come on, Jack. The sooner we get this done the faster we get back to yours and I can check my email.”

I laugh at the bizarre normality of this and get out of the car; I open the backdoor and wait for Daniel to climb out to join me. I head into the shop with him wandering beside me and hope this doesn’t turn into a nightmare.

We spent three days on Abydos, it would have been more but I had work to do that couldn’t be put off much longer. Watching Daniel say goodbye to Kasuf almost broke my heart and I started to question my decision not to leave him there but before I could change my mind, Daniel appeared at my side and looked up at me waiting to go. After the medical where Daniel sat and chatted away to scary nurse we headed back to my place. Half-way there I realised we needed food so that meant the hell that is shopping.

“Jack,” Daniel interrupted my musings, “Don’t forget that Janet ordered you get healthy food.”

I snorted, “The Doc has no idea what I usually eat. Despite what you may think, Danny I do know how to cook a lot of healthy and varied meals.”

“So why is it always pizza when we come over?” the sarcastic question seems so bizarre in the high pitched child’s voice.

“Because it was easier,” I told him.

Daniel stopped as I grabbed a cart and gave me a horrified look, “I am not getting in that.”

I chuckle at the disgust in his voice, “I wouldn’t dare; just keep somewhere I can see you.”
“Don’t you trust me, Jack?” he asks before he wanders ahead of me.



This actually wasn’t the nightmare I envisioned, I decided as I picked up some fruit. Then I heard it.

“Let me go!!”

I recognised my mini-archaeologist from hell’s indignant voice instantly and I headed towards it.

“What’s going on?” I demand as I turn the corner to where a security guard had a hold of my kid. Beside them stood a woman and a little girl who was crying, though even I could tell it was completely fake.

“Is this child yours?” the woman demanded and irritated me instantly.

“Danny,” I ignored her, “What happened?”

“I was just looking at the chocolate,” he told me, still trying to wrench his arm away from the security guard, “When this...this brat tried to shove me out of the way.”

“How dare you?” the insane woman snapped, “My little Sunbeam would never do such a thing.”

Daniel and I shared a quick look as we both tried to work out if sunbeam was the actual or pet name for the brat.

“And Daniel wouldn’t lie about this,” I snapped back before turning to the security guard, “Let him go.”

Daniel let out an annoyed huff as he was let go and marched over to me, “I didn’t do anything.”

“I know, Danny,” I murmured, resting my hand on his head, “Okay, we’re going.”

“I want an apology,” the woman demanded.

“Like hell, lady,” Daniel muttered under his breath and I had to bite the inside of my mouth not to laugh.

“I want an apology from your child,” she told me.

I rolled my eyes and could see the security guard just wishing we’d all go away so he could go do something much less stressful – like jump out a plane without a parachute.

At this point I lost my temper, “Look, lady. Your kid isn’t crying, she’s faking it to get chocolate and quite frankly I’m not going to force my kid to apologise for nothing so that you can spoil your kid more. Danny, let’s go.”

As we walked away I could see the smirk on his face.

“Not one word,” I told him.

*********************************************

I actually sighed in relief as I took dropped onto my couch that night, who knew one shopping trip could be so stressful. We finally finished our shopping, despite the witchy woman throwing us glares at every turn – I was seriously contemplating getting a restraining order on her, and made it home with minimum fuss. As I put away everything, Daniel disappeared into his room to check his emails and stuff. The few days on Abydos had been good, for both of us. Kasuf had pretty much spoiled him which I found hysterically funny but it also meant I was able to relax and not have him wittering away in my ear almost continuously driving me crazy. Strangely I missed it.

“Jack,” the little angel himself came wandering in, a book in his hand, “Am I allowed to work?”

“Work?” I asked a little confused.

“You know look over what’s brought back, translate things...my job.”

He looked so worried and I could see the emotions of his child’s body taking over as his blue eyes were becoming watery.

“Danny,” I motioned him over to me and picked him up onto my knee, “You are still you. Younger and cuter than before but everything is still in there.”

“Jack,” he frowned at me.

“The only thing about you working is you more than likely won’t be able to do it for long periods of time,” I reminded him, “Hell, you can barely keep your mind on one thing for more than five minutes.”

“So,” he frowned even more, “I can’t work.”

“Daniel, you can do what you want,” I soothed, knowing why he had the entire SGC wrapped around his little finger, “But remember this is only temporary. Few months and you’ll be ten and then twenty and then we’ll have back to normal – even if you get to be a little younger than you should be.”

He smiled in relief and hugged me before he slipped off my lap and taking his book, settled into a corner of the couch and started reading.

Thank God he doesn’t get to be a teenager again - I don’t think I’d survive.