Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Little Angel

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Many thanks to Sarah Williams for the coffee trivia, hope you don't mind I used it.

I was amazed I managed to write another part of this so quickly but hey, I did. I will hopefully continue this but until then enjoy
I was having a peaceful dream. I was on a beach, cooler at one side filled with beer as I sat watching the Simpsons;– I wasn’t asking how the TV and DVD player was working on the beach with no wires, I was dreaming.

Then suddenly little sharp pinpricks on my toes forced me back into the real world and I groaned at the slobber all over my feet.

“Daniel,” I muttered, knowing the pain in my ass had put the animal there, Pip couldn’t get on my bed himself, “Get the dog away from me.”

A giggle made me squeeze my eyes shut; I resisted the urge to kick at the thing biting my feet as I knew I’d probably kill the poor thing. Daniel thankfully lifted Pip off the bed and left me alone.

We’d had the dog for about two weeks now and he’d become Daniel’s constant companion. It was the funniest thing in the world to see this puppy growl at anyone he didn’t know come near Daniel, as though he could actually do something to an attacker.

Hearing the terrible twosome were out of my room I opened my eyes and sat up, instantly putting my slippers on – bare feet were an open invitation to Pip who loved eating toes, especially mine.



“Morning, Jack,” the innocent looking brat smiled at me as I entered the kitchen, he was sitting on the floor with Pip chewing on a fake bone as Daniel pulled slightly on it.

“Morning,” I replied, moving to start breakfast, “What do you want?”

“Coffee?”

I shook my head, he made this request every few days but it was at the top of the list of Janet’s ‘not a chance in hell’ list.

“It’ll stunt your growth,” I replied, it was my usual reply.

“Actually the APA, American Paediatric Association to you, confirmed that coffee does not stunt kids' growth,” Daniel told me with a sweet, angelic smile, “So, can I have some?”

“Let me ask you one thing,” I said, “If I did give you some and Janet found out, which you know she would, what do you think she’d do to both of us?”

He frowned, thinking over it for a few seconds before looking back up at me, “Milk please.”



Pip followed Daniel to his room when the kid went to get dressed; the golden fur ball adored my kid and went everywhere with him – even slept beside him which I couldn’t stop. Try as I might.

“Danny, hurry up and get dressed,” I called, “We need to go to the base before the park.”

“I know, Jack,” he called back, “You’ve told me about ten times.”

A yip of agreement came from Pip and I laughed. We’d had the puppy for two weeks but already he was part of the family, I just wanted to know how the poor thing would react when five year old Danny turned into ten year old then more.

*********************************************

Our trip to the base lasted longer than it should have, it was supposed to be a quick in and out. Then Daniel wanted to say “hi” to Sam then to Teal’c and then Janet. We also stopped off to see Hammond who asked Daniel to look over a few things quickly while he played with Pip. I now know how Daniel’s going to keep the dog and still go on missions; Hammond wouldn’t allow Pip to be sent away.

It took us a good bit of time to get out of the base, everyone said “hi” to Daniel who rode on my hip and petted Pip who was riding in Daniel’s arms. I was amazed by how trained this puppy was considering he was only a few weeks old. Yes, he did still leave little gifts around the house but whenever Daniel picked him up, Pip sat happily until Daniel put him back down.

Finally we made it off the base.

“Jack,” Daniel piped up from the back seat, “You know you missed the exit for the park, right?”

“I thought we’d pick up food from the Cafe and have lunch there,” I explained, seeing him grin.

We’d become regulars at the Waterfall Cafe and they welcomed us despite what had happened on our first visit, unfortunately in six weeks Danny would become ten and it would be out the question to eat there until Daniel was back to his normal age. How do you explain a five year old, a ten year old and a twenty year old who all look a like?

“Hi,” Crystal greeted us with a big grin as we walked up to the new takeaway window, “Nice to see you.”

“You too,” Daniel grinned back, looking altogether so cute I could see Crystal practically ‘aww’ out loud.

“Can we get the usual to go?” I asked her, “And throw in whatever the special dessert is today.”

“Of course,” Crystal scribbled down our order, you could tell how often we come here, “That’ll be a few minutes.”

I gave her the money along with a good tip, we liked Crystal and since there was no one waiting, Daniel started telling her how he was training Pip to fetch a stick. I watched this version of my friend knowing soon he would no longer be this cute little bundle.

It surprised me to realise I would really miss him like this. The energy, the attention span of a gnat, the tendency to laugh, I was even going to miss carrying him through the halls of the SGC.

Crystal disappeared for a second and returned with our order, she smiled down at Daniel and handed him a candy bar with wink. I rolled my eyes at her as I ushered Daniel back to the car while Crystal simply smiled innocently at me.



The park was filled with families all enjoying the sunny Sunday afternoon, we somehow managed to find a good spot in the picnic area and I set out lunch. Pip found a spot in the sun, yawned and closed his eyes.

“I want to say goodbye to Crystal before I change,” Daniel told me as he munched on his spicy chicken wrap, “It’s not like this me will be able to return.”

I nodded, “We’ll do it the day before Thor comes.”

Daniel grinned at me before shovelling some fries into his mouth, he actually eats more in this form than when he was his adult self – it occurred to me that it was my doing and I knew I’d be looking out for him even when he grew up again.



“I’m finished,” he announced, wiping his mouth on the napkin I handed him, “I’ll be on the swings. Look after Pip.”

Before I could reply he was away running to play with the other kids. I moved to the other side of the bench so I could keep an eye on Pip, our tiny pup opened one eye before shuffling slightly closer to me. I gently stroked his fur as I watched Daniel swing higher looking for all the world as though he were really five.

As our pup snuffled in his sleep, I smiled as I remembered the first night we had Pipsqueak in the house.

“You’ve never owned a dog?” I asked in surprise at his soft announcement.

Daniel shrugged as he gently fed the pup in his lap, “My parents weren’t keen on pets. They couldn’t travel with us. The first foster family I stayed with had a dog.”

I sat next to him to listen to him speak; Daniel rarely talked about his childhood even during this second one.

“It was an Alsatian called Max and it was huge,” Daniel smiled wryly, a strange expression on a five year old, “I was terrified of him at first. When my social worked knocked on the door he barked like crazy and I didn’t want him anywhere near me. I think it was the week after I’d arrived and I was sitting out the back thinking about my parents. I was shocked when this dog planted his head in my lap and whined slightly,” he smiled properly this time at the memory, “I nervously reached out and rested my hand on his head. I didn’t talk after my parents died, I couldn’t but for some reason Max gave me someone to talk to.”

“More successful conversations with dogs?” I asked, pure innocence covering my face.

Daniel simply laughed and continued looking after his puppy.




“Jack?”

I turned to the unexpected voice and smiled to find Sara standing there, “Hi?”

We stared at each other for a few seconds before I stood and gave her a quick hug, turning as Pip squeaked in protest that I’d stopped petting him.

Sara laughed and moved to gently stroke the puppy’s fur smiling as he gave another big yawn.

“Meet Pip,” I introduced her.

“You name your dog Pip?” Sara asked, trying not to laugh.

I shrugged, “Actually his full name is Pipsqueak,” I saw her bite her lip to stop herself laughing out loud, “I didn’t name him.”

“Of course not,” she replied, “What are you doing here? I thought you hated coming here since...”

“I did,” I reached out and squeezed her hand, this had been once of Charlie’s favourite places.

“Jack!!!”

Sara looked shocked as the blond haired tyke came speeding over, she turned to me wanting to ask but didn’t get a chance as Daniel arrived and stopped, recognising her without a moment of confusion.

“Hello, Sara,” Daniel greeted her.

“Hi,” Sara squeaked completely confused.

“Sara, meet Daniel Ballard,” I introduced them using the alias we’d created for Daniel, something easy for him to use; “He’s staying with me while his folks are abroad.”

“Jack has your picture,” Daniel told her, ignoring the death glare I gave him, “You’re prettier.”

“Thank you, Daniel,” Sara beamed, instantly charmed, “Is this your puppy?”

Danny nodded, playing the precocious five year old to perfection, “Pip is only a few weeks old. His mom had too many babies so we had to raise him.”

Sara looked astonished and turned to me, “Really?”

“Couldn’t leave the poor thing,” I told her, smiling as Daniel climbed up beside Sara and joined her in petting the puppy.



I carried Daniel back to the car as he slept against my shoulder; Sara held Pip in her arms since he was still too small to roam around on his own. Once I had both my charges safely secured in the car I turned to Sara.

“Thanks for helping,” I told her, “It was nice to see you again.”

Sara nodded, “It was an interesting afternoon. He’s a sweet kid and obviously enjoys staying with you.”

“It’s only a few more weeks before he leaves,” I sighed, not sure why I was blurting this out, “I’ve got used to having him around.”

“You’ll see him when his parents come home though, won’t you?” Sara gently rubbed my arm comfortingly.

“It won’t be the same,” I sighed before taking a deep breath, “I better get him home. He’ll be hungry when he wakes up.”

Sara nodded and gently kissed my cheek, “See you around, Jack.”



When I arrived home I carried Daniel into his room and rested him on the bed before placing Pip beside him. Pipsqueak stretched and looked around the room for a second ensuring his charge was safe before settling down again.

Standing in the doorway I watched Daniel as he slept. About four years ago I met a man who I normally wouldn’t have looked twice at unless it was to push him out of my way and in that man I found someone with extraordinary strength, determination and wisdom who pulled me out of the black hole my son’s death had thrown me into.

I needed my friend back, but there were still a few months until that happened, so I intended to enjoy being the little guys’ guardian.

Assuming Pip let me near him.