Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Memoirs of Brigadier General Jack O'Neill (retired)

by Arrietty
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
MEMOIRS OF
BRIGADIER GENERAL JACK O’NEILL
(Retired)

Part IX

Chapter One
By Arrietty


2008


Eventually, after nearly three weeks, I arrived. It had been a long road and I was hot and tired. I could see the large horses plowing in the fields and several workers tilling the ground. The whole place was a hive of activity. Long low buildings stretched out behind a large magnificent-looking house. It had three stories with turrets and wings poking out all around the main building. I followed the road around to the trade entrance which was situated behind the house.

I could see that one of the long low buildings was the servant’s quarters while the other side seemed to be the stables. A few children were busy loading some hay onto a cart. I thought this was strange because when I was in Leocold, the children were schooled.

“Borro na sas voithisso kirie.” The voice made me jump because it was quite close behind me. I swiveled around and saw a short man; he was wearing a long coat over a plain linen shirt and matching trousers. He had plain leather sandals on his feet.

“I wish to see Neeron. Thelo na tho ton Neeron,” I repeated in Greek.

He nodded, and called someone over. An old woman came up to me and gestured for me to follow her. She was wearing similar clothes to the man, but she had a long shapeless dress on and no sandals on her feet.

“Come, sir,” and she led me to a small shelter. It was hot in the courtyard and I found it pleasant to sit in the shade.

“Do you wish for some refreshments, sir?”

I smiled at her; she reminded me so much of Leocold’s mother, remembering the way the people of this planet spoke with respect to their elders I answered in the same way.

“Thank you kind Mother, this would be most pleasing.”

A look of shock flitted across her face before she masterfully hid it. She bowed and shuffled off to a large shelter, where I assumed the food was prepared for the workers.

The children had finished loading the cart and were attempting to pull it along by the bar towards the end of the stables. Even though there were five of them, they just didn’t seem to have the strength to get it going. I was surprised and shocked to see none of the adults stop to help them. I stood up. One of these kids was going to get hurt soon if someone didn’t help. Just then a form flitted out from one of the stables. The only reason I knew she was female was because of the short, dirty linen smock that hung down to just below her knees and the long brown, bushy hair that dangled down her back. Her dirty feet gripped the ground as she leaned on the back of the cart to help push it along. With the added help the cart started to move. The kids looked at her nervously, then I noticed one of the little girls smile at her before continuing to push on the bar. Now the momentum of the cart was going, the tall, scruffy girl scuttled back into one of the stables.

The day was getting hotter, and when the woman returned she had removed her coat. As she set down the tray with a tall glass of something cold onto the table, I was shocked to see she had a deep open cut down her forearm. The injury was red with blood and looked like it had only just happened.

“Mother,” I said, “You are injured.”

The same shock came across her face as before, but this time it did not disappear as quickly. She then smiled and shook her head, and slowly walked away.

“Thank you, kind mother,” I called out to her. I found her behavior puzzling.

The drink was nice, not too sweet and very refreshing. The clink of ice cubes banged against the glass in a very comforting way. I had walked a long way and I was very hot and tired. And ice… wow, hadn’t seen that in a long time. Not in a drink, that is.

The children had finished pulling the cart and now were unloading it into one of the stables. They had been out in the hot sun for quite a time now, but they hadn’t started to grumble or complain. I began to get an uncomfortable feeling sitting there in the shade sipping an ice cold drink. The feeling wasn’t just because I wasn’t doing anything to help, but there seemed to be something wrong here. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but there was something.

Looking over at the house, I noticed a large man waddling towards me. He had shiny leather shoes on his feet and brightly coloured robes. Bright blue trousers peeked out under his light coat as he walked. The sun glinted off precious stones that adorned his fingers.

I slowly stood up and started to walk out towards him, picking up my pack in one hand as I went. Though it was hot, I had kept my long coat on, I still wasn’t quite sure of this place or this man.

“Herretismata. Irthess yia emborion?” he asked, smiling.

Without thinking I replied in English, “Greetings, yes I wish to look at some of your horses.”

“Excellent.” he replied.

“What is it you wish to see? A fine mount for yourself, or maybe some cavalry horses for your army.”

I will have to watch this man. He’s astute and he’d already worked out that I’d been in the military.

“Actually, I am looking for two work horses, large ones that can pull a plow. I heard that yours are the best that there are. Preferably, a breeding pair,” I added.

“With this, I can help you. The large horses are what we pride ourselves in.”

He drew in a deep breath and bellowed out a word. “Rabnor!” The man who had spoken to me earlier came bustling up. He was almost bowing and scraping at Neeron.

He spoke quickly but I understood most of what he said. “Balle ton skouliki na ferry ta dio kastana apo to piso horafia. Mia stigmi. He turned to me and spoke. “What about a mount for yourself. You will need to ride as well.”

“Well I was hoping to ride one of these horses,” I replied.

He stood there and shook his head and went “tut tut. That will never do, there won’t be room. You will need to carry food for these horses. You are going back to the Chapa’ai?”

I nodded yes. “You will need feed for these horses and there will not be room for you to sit.” He stood there looking most pleased with himself. I groaned inwardly.

“Okay… Yes, I will look at a horse for myself too.” He nodded to Rabnor, and just spoke two words. “Ferrte ton thirrion.” A sinking feeling worked its way down inside me at the thought of a horse named ‘Wild beast’.

“Unfortunately, I only have one rideable horse available, I usually only deal in large beasts and they are very expensive compared to common horses.”

I did not like the look that was on his face as he spoke those words, but it seemed I wasn’t going to have much of a choice.

“Come.” He led me back to where I was sitting and he sat down at the table. The old woman immediately came up to him and waited.

“More refreshments,” he ordered and she shuffled off to the large tent. I noticed that she hadn’t dressed the wound yet. I found it worrying, but I was unsure what to do about it.

~*~

It was about half an hour later that I heard the yelling and shouting. Three men were hanging onto a rope behind a terrified looking horse as it galloped into the courtyard. His hooves clattering on the cobblestones. The whites of its eyes stared out in fear as it scrambled to a halt. Turning around it started to gallop back out the way it had come, only to be stopped by two large cart horses being led into the courtyard by the young girl that had helped the kids with cart.

Neeron by now had stood up and was shouting at his workers to get the horse under control. All he managed to do was excite it further and it reared up knocking one of the men down in the process. Sparks flew as the horses front hooves hit the ground just inches from his head.

By now both Neeron and I had reached the courtyard, I turned to Neeron. “Do you expect me to buy this?” I asked incredulously.

He shrugged his shoulders, “This breed is known for their endurance . . . there isn't a better animal to carry you the distance you need to travel. These idiots couldn't walk a goat down the boulevard. Now, a fine horseman, such as yourself, should have no problem."

I was skeptical.

I looked back at the courtyard, the horse had broken free and all the men had run away from the killer hooves as the horse screamed and thundered around the courtyard desperate for escape. Fortunately, the fallen man had been pulled free and was slowly standing up on his own two feet relatively unhurt.

Neeron continued to scream at his workers to get the terrified horse under control.

At this point I had made my decision, I would be walking back to the Stargate, there was no way I was going to be riding that.

Just then I noticed the girl again, she had handed the reins of the large horses to someone and was walking carefully towards the frightened horse. For the first time, I saw her stand tall, not bent over and afraid. She never said a word, but swiftly dodged the flying hooves as they crashed around her. Within seconds she was by his head and had caught hold of one of the ropes. The horse stopped, quivering all over, the whites still showed strong in his eyes. I watched mesmerized as she reached up a hand and stroked his neck, then moved to face him. Leaning forward she placed her face against his nose and stood still. Her hair puffed out with each breath as the horse was still panting from exertion. I watched the horse stop quivering and become calm. After a few moments she led the horse around the courtyard and into one of the stables. He followed quietly without any fear showing.

“Katarameni koppella.”

“Pardon?” I asked.

“Didn’t she do well?” he replied. He smiled a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. I was positive he had said, ‘cursed woman.’

“I don’t think I need a horse to ride, I can walk very well, thank you.” I spoke firmly.

“Please come with me, we need to talk some more, before you make any hasty decisions.”

I rolled my eyes and followed him as he walked towards the two large Shire horses still standing placidly. Even after all the excitement they hadn’t batted an eyelid. I had heard this man’s horses were the best, now I knew why. I swiftly looked them over, they let me lift their feet and I ran my hand down their legs checking for heat or tenderness. I could feel no heat in them. These were sound, well cared for horses.

“Can you walk them around the yard?”

Neeron waved a hand to the two grooms. Immediately, they walked the great animals around in a circle. They looked good.

“A trot.”

Neeron frowned.

“Faster,” I requested, my tone leaving no room for misunderstanding.

I waited until I was satisfied before nodding my head for the horses to stop. While I was checking one of the horse’s mouths, I heard a scuffle behind me.

I twisted around and observed the same girl that had quietened the horse, being pulled off Neeron. I couldn’t see her face as her hair was all over the place and she was biting kicking and punching her captors as they dragged her off.

Neeron looked most uncomfortable as he righted his shiny gold turban on his head and dabbed at a long bleeding scratch down his face.

He turned to one of the guards and spoke quickly, then handed him a small oval shaped metallic object. It was very similar in design to the Asgard communication device, except this was grey.

The group of workers went still, I heard a stifled gasp.

“Everyone, get back to work,” Neeron ordered and flapped his arms at them. The courtyard emptied.

The guard marched off in the same direction that they had taken the girl.

“So how much?” I asked, I was getting rather annoyed with this man. He obviously didn’t treat his workers well. Servants with open cuts on their arms and children working when they should be either in school or playing didn’t seem right to me.

“Two hundred and fifty gold coins,” he replied. “Each,” he added.

I wasn’t surprised, I knew these horses were valuable, but I had hoped to pay a bit less than this.

I expected to pay around two hundred gold coins, give or take, but I wasn’t going to let this man know that.

“Hundred and fifty,” I replied.

“Oh, sir, you will kill me with that, these horses have been cared for and fed from when they were foals. And I have slaves to feed and care for,” he whined.

I stopped walking in my tracks, my heart went cold. “You what?” I spun around and faced him. I was gratified to see him shrink back away from me. “Slaves?” I asked. Well, that explained a lot.

“I thought you were aware. I deal in horses and slaves. I have the lowest record of runaways on this planet,” he added with pride.

I started to feel sick in my gut; I had not seen any sign of slaves in Leocold, but then I remembered the people chained up for sale when I first arrived in the market town. But I needed these horses. I pushed down my revulsion and swallowed the bile that was trying to force its way up. I continued to barter for the two large chestnuts that stood idly by, totally oblivious to their fate.

We finally reached a price, one that I was pleased with, one hundred and seventy-three gold coins each. This was better than I had hoped. The only problem was I had to agree to buy the terrified horse that had been so difficult to get under control. But he would only cost me ten gold coins, so that had been a good deal. He was going to throw in the feed for all three horses, plus saddle and bridle. I still knew that there was going to be a good chance that I would be walking back to the ‘gate. In fact, I could guarantee it.

~*~

The two large horses were geared up with the feed. They had wooden saddles placed on their backs with the large bags hung on the wood that crossed over. They looked secure and I thought it would be nice to be able to eventually put my heavy pack on there too.

The horse ‘Wild Beast’ though Neeron insisted his name was Meadow, had been brought out of the stable, he seemed placid enough. I just hoped he would let me get out of the gate before he ditched me.

Neeron had wandered off to see about something else and I was sitting under the shade watching Meadow for any signs of unrest.

“Kind sir.”

“Yes, mother,” I replied. And turned to see the kind old lady that had served me refreshments.

“Please, do not think me presumptuous, but I have a favor to ask of you.”

“Of course, anything I can do to help, Mother.”

“La Haia. Please take her with you.”

I screwed my face in puzzlement. “Who?”

“La Haia,” she replied, “The girl that helped with your horse. You are taking her friends, please take her with you. She will not last long here. I believe she has not long to live if she stays.”

I was puzzled because I was sure her name was something else so I asked her. “You mean, Skouliki?”

The old woman’s eyes filled with tears. “I am sorry, sir, that I have taken your time.”

“Wait,” I said, as she turned away from me. “Tell me more about La Haia… please.”

“She’s been with us for several years, but she does not speak. She lives with the horses in the fields or in the stables. None of us have been able to help her. And most of the people here are afraid of her. She is strange. And she tries to escape all the time, now you will take her horses away from her, she will try to escape again. I do not think our master will let her live if she does that again.”

I thought back to the slip of a girl that had mastered the terrified horse, maybe taking her with me would not only help her, but me as well.

“Where is she from? I can take her home,” I queried.

“We do not know, nor does she. She seems dim-witted, but she is not. La Haia has been very badly treated here, more so than others. I know you will treat her well. But please do not call her that terrible name, as it is not hers.”

“What does Skouliki mean?” I asked.

“Worm,” she replied.

I nodded thoughtfully, keeping my anger deep within. “I will not call her that, but I am not sure Neeron will let her come with me.”

“You have to buy her.”

I shook my head, “I do not buy or sell people.”

“But you have to, and then you can set her free, when you wish, but you will have to buy her to take her from here.”

I thought for a while, and then spoke slowly to her. “You - how much will you be?”

She smiled a sad smile, “not very much and I will slow you down. Anyway my village is two days in the opposite direction that you will be going.”

“Your village?”

“Yes, I was taken when I was a young girl. I have seen my family only once since then. They tried to buy me back, but Neeron’s father would not sell me. I have two nephews who visit me, but they do not have enough gold coin to release me.”

“How much would you be?”

“One gold coin.” It hurt me to hear that a human being was only worth one gold coin, but a horse that was full of trouble was worth ten.

Pulling four gold coins out of my pocket I pressed them into her hand, “get word to your nephews, tell them you have money for them to buy you, and then you can go home. But do not tell them about the extra, you will need that to live.”

Her eyes filled with tears again. “I knew you were a good man as soon as I saw you. You will take La Haia with you?”

I nodded. “If Neeron will sell her, yes I will take her.”

“Thank you.” Tucking the gold coins under her smock, she shuffled away.

I hoped what she told me was true. I had to trust my instincts, and they said that she was a good woman. I walked up to the big house to find Neeron.

When I asked Neeron about the girl, he had laughed at me. “You mad foreigner,” he said, “You will only make yourself trouble.”

“As you have convinced me to buy Meadow or is it ‘the wild beast?” I smirked.

He looked up at me startled.

“Tha zriasto kapionne na me voithissi na ton isihasso otan perrasso to Astroppirgo,” I finished in fluent Greek, realizing that I most probably was very close to the truth and that I would need La Haia to help me get the horse through the Stargate.

He shuffled uncomfortably then said, “Five gold coins.”

“One.”

“Deal,” and he held out his arm to clasp mine.

With inner loathing I clasped his back.

~*~