Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Memoirs of Brigadier General Jack O'Neill (retired)

by Arrietty
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
MEMOIRS OF
BRIGADIER GENERAL JACK O’NEILL
(Retired)

Part VI

Chapter Two
By Arrietty

2006

It was the following morning after I returned to Ellatha that I received a visitor. The cobbler Maroc brought me a new pair of shoes. “Jack, I made them for you.”

“Thank you, but I really don’t need them-“

He interrupted me, “I have my own business now, and people are buying shoes like this so that they can exercise like you do.” He held out the shoes for me to take, looking so proud of himself.

“Thank you,” I smiled and accepted the gift. This man had a business because of me; I didn’t want to hurt his feelings. “Do you make other shoes as well?” I asked, hoping he wasn’t totally reliant on what could just be a fad.

“Yes, I now make sandals and boots for walking and riding. Please, you must visit my shop while you are here. It is next to Amos’ fine silk cloth.”

I knew Amos’ store. “I will, Maroc.” I assured him.

“I must return to my store and serve my customers,” he proudly said.

One of the servants showed him out of the house as I examined my new running shoes; these were an improvement on my first pair. The padding was thicker on the sole and the stitching was minute and perfect. He had obviously worked on improving the shoe and he seemed to know what he was doing.

~*~

The next two days were uneventful. In fact, I couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary, except that Alexander continued to ask when I would be returning to my home planet and could he accompany me. He had wanted to return with Janet, but I had said no. The last thing she needed was an alien tagging along, but Alexander had not understood. A shiver of guilt traveled through me, I knew I should have accompanied Janet, but I was not ready to return to the SGC yet.

The tension in the household became almost palpable as Mariam and Alexander either bickered or didn’t speak to each other. When I found Mariam in tears after hearing the front door slam one morning, I decided it was time to intervene. I walked through the crowded streets and onto the main street which crossed through the middle of the town. This street always amazed me; it was very wide, covered with large cobblestones. There were footpaths for the pedestrians along the side so that horses and carts could rumble along the center taking produce to the market square and small shops along the way.

A small bell tinkled at the top of the door as I pushed it open to enter the premises of Alexander’s new clinic. He had sold his house and bought this small building where he could see his patients away from home.

“Greetings, Jack.”

“Hi, Alex, are you busy?”

“Not at the moment, I have fifteen minutes until my next patient. Would you like a drink?” He opened a small cabinet and pulled out a flagon of wine and two goblets. I watched the rich red liquid gurgle into each goblet, before he handed one to me.

“Thank you,” I said as I took the goblet in one hand and pulled out a chair with the other. I glanced into his eyes. He had been intently watching me, the naked look in his eyes shocked me - it was as though he could see right into my soul - and then it was gone.

“To friendship,” he toasted before taking a sip.

I stared into his eyes, but I could see nothing untoward there now. I must have imagined it. I put it down to paranoia after my experiences in the last few months.

“So, Alexander, what’s going on?”

He looked startled for a second before relaxing and, with a resigned sigh he sat down. “I wondered how long it would take for you to interfere.”

“Fifteen minutes are nearly up, Alex, so time’s a-wasting,” I stared at him hard. “And you haven’t answered my question.”

“It’s private, Jack, nothing to do with you.” Before I had a chance to reply, he stood up and snatched the goblets up and placed them back in the cupboard, “Sorry, Jack, I have things to prepare.” He stood still waiting for me to leave.

Refraining from rolling my eyes, I slowly stood up and placed my hat back on my head and adjusted the brim. “You know, Alex, you’re gonna have to talk to me sometime, because I’m not leaving until things are sorted out between you two. Mariam is hurting and I don-,” Just then a young woman, with a small boy in tow, walked into the clinic. There was barely a pause in the two rings of the bell between her arrival and my departure. The difference was the door slamming shut behind me. I was angry and feeling slightly hurt. ‘Oh yes, big bad Brigadier General Jack O’Neill’s feelings do get hurt.’ Alexander would’ve known that I was concerned as a friend, so why hadn’t he been honest with me? I was puzzled by his reaction and his behavior. It did not add up.

~*~

Four days later, we were no closer to discussing the situation. Alexander was now avoiding me, Mariam wasn’t talking to Alex and Lisle would burst into tears as soon as anyone looked at her. Eimon was working long hours at the shipping company and I was stuck in the middle of a ‘domestic’ dispute. I was leaving as soon as possible. At least no one was shooting at me or trying to turn me into a snakehead.

I had just finished packing the last item into my bag, when the dinner gong resounded throughout the house. Oh, this was going to be fun – not. For once, everyone was already there as I rushed in a little late. Even so, they had waited for me before starting. I sat, we started and no one talked, so I decided they needed something or someone to focus on.

“I’m leaving tomorrow morning at first light,” I announced.

A clatter of eating implements fell to the table, and Alexander actually spoke to me. “I want to come with you.” Mariam jumped up and ran sobbing from the table, stopping as she reached the doorway. Turning, she spoke to Alexander, “If you go, don’t bother coming back,” and then stepped out into the hallway.

Before anyone had a chance to react to her ultimatum, a large explosion somewhere in the town shook the ground. This was followed by more explosions, making the glassware rattle against each other. Screams from people outside in the street penetrated the house walls, and then the unmistakable sound of staff weapon fire. “Everyone,” I yelled, the chair clattering to the floor as I stood up, “To the kitchen now.” I dashed from the dining room to where I had my pack. I pulled out my P-90, zat and my hand gun. Slinging my combat vest over one shoulder, I raced back out into the corridor. Alexander was waiting for me.

“Give me the zat’n’ktel, I can help.”

I skidded to a halt, “The what?” I stared in surprise at my friend. I could hear my drill sergeant from many years ago yelling in my head, ‘O’Neill, it’s a war, not a kid’s birthday party. Get your butt out there.’

“The zat, give it to me.” Not waiting for an answer, he snatched it out of my hand and then stared straight into my eyes.

My friend was no longer there; horror filled me as I recognized who it really was. How, I don’t know, I just did. “Kanan!” I exclaimed, and then it was confirmed as his eyes glowed. “You slimy snake, get out of my friend.” My whole body was shaking with barely controlled rage. No wonder he had been behaving strangely.

“Sorry, Jack, no time to explain, but it’s the Kull warriors and they are after me.”

Bottling my anger, I asked, “Kull?”

“Baal’s latest warriors, he stole them from Anubis. They are covered in black amour.”

“Super soldiers?”

“Yes. You must keep Mariam and the others safe. I will lead them away.”

“No!” I stared at him hard, “I know of a way out, you must take them. Follow me.”

Without waiting for an answer, I pushed past him and led him into the kitchen where the others were waiting. I took hold of the large jars and started to roll them aside, all the time fighting the urge to turn around and beat the pulp out of this snake that had caused my friends and myself so much anguish.

“Kanan, help me,” I ordered.

The stone was heavy and I could do with the extra strength that the symbiote had. He took one end of the stone and I the other and we pushed. Stone against stone grated as it slowly disappeared into the gloom.

Turning to Mariam, “Go, for Lisle’s sake,” I nodded towards the frightened young woman heavy with child. I handed my flashlight to Kanan, “Stay in there until I come for you. Walk right to the end, there is another trap door that comes out into the hills; use it if I have not come for you within eight hours. There is another tunnel that goes straight to the Stargate, we can escape that way when I return.”

The explosions were coming closer to the building and it wouldn’t be long before they found us. I turned to two of the menservants. “Once everyone has gone down, close the trap door and put all the urns back how they were, then go next door. They aren’t looking for you, so you will be safe. If anything happens to me, wait until the black warriors have gone and then release them.” They nodded.

I waited a second to see that Lisle and Mariam had carefully climbed down the steps to safety below and nodded to Kanan. I then slipped quietly out the kitchen door and, crouching down low, I worked my way around through the garden to a side alleyway. I could hear the crash of falling masonry as the super soldiers’ weapons made havoc with the surrounding homes. Working along the stone wall, I made my way out to the main road. Two super soldiers were firing at anything that moved; already many fine brave warriors from this town lay dead on the street. With only swords, bows and arrows to defend themselves, they hadn’t stood a chance. Amongst them were some good friends of mine. The anger that had coursed through my inner being earlier flourished and blossomed at this pointless waste of lives. Kanan had a lot to answer for. Choosing to channel my anger towards these two relentless soldiers instead of Kanan who dwelt within one of my closest friends, I moved out to a more strategic position.

While their backs were turned, I sprinted across the wide road and ducked down behind a low wall. They were now standing right in front of Alexander’s house; they had known where to come. With one shot, they blasted the front door down and started to enter the house. Immediately, I started to fire at them, hoping to draw them off and give Kanan a chance to get the family hidden safely away.

A courageous young man dived down beside me, “Jack, who are these?”

“You mean, what,” I hissed at Maroc. “See those buildings just behind those soldiers.”

“Yes,” the young cobbler answered.

“Clear everyone out of them.” He nodded, “And keep your head down or it will get blown off.” He nodded again. I was relieved to see him crouching over double as he made his way towards the buildings.

The warriors had started to walk towards where I was hiding, following the source of the rifle-fire. So far my plan had worked. I quickly followed Maroc, keeping out of sight of the super soldiers. I waited until all the residents of the buildings had evacuated before setting charges at strategic places at the base of the stones walls, making sure that they were placed on the cornerstones and any supporting walls. Instead of setting a timer, I used a remote detonating device.

Moving away from the wall, I stood up and started firing indiscriminately at the Kull warriors. They turned and started to walk towards me, firing as they went. The bullets pinged off the surface of their amour, sparking in their wake. I ducked back through the doorway and waited until the enemy were standing in front of the building and then ran out the back, pressing the remote detonating device as I went. Diving down below a low ornamental wall, I covered my head with my arms as the building exploded into a shower of rock and dust. When all had settled I peered over the edge and seeing it was clear I slowly stood up.

Bits of black amour lay strewn over the ground amidst stone and rubble from the ruined house. The hairs on the back of my neck slowly rose as a black clad hand appeared from the centre of the rubble, moving the rocks to the side; the surviving super soldier slowly emerged. I slowly began to walk backwards as he raised his arm and pointed it at me. I quickly reloaded my P-90 from my now exhausted supplies and emptied the magazine at him, once again not making any difference to his advancement. I stumbled as I stepped back, tripping and falling to the ground. Fire shot out of his arm, straight towards me, as I lay on the ground totally helpless against this relentless creature.

~*~