Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Memoirs of Brigadier General Jack O'Neill (retired)

by Arrietty
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
MEMOIRS OF
BRIGADIER GENERAL JACK O’NEILL
(Retired)

Part VI

Chapter One
By Arrietty

2006

“Wow. What a lot of people, Jack. Where are we?” While Janet spoke, she turned around in a circle looking at all the buildings and people. This was something that we rarely ever came across in all those years of traveling through the Stargate; a civilization that had a community of planets all networked into the Stargate system. Ellatha was just one of the many planets. Eimon had given me the list of all the planets that were part of the universal group. So far, I had been unable to travel to many of these, but I knew it wouldn’t be long before I would be able to do this.

“Ellatha,” I informed her. Being none the wiser, she asked again.

“But where are we?”

“Ellatha,” I repeated. “It is a nice friendly planet with kind and friendly people, with no slimy Goa’ulds or nasty viruses.”

I quickly looked around the square. Most of the people ignored us, but some glanced our way.

“Jack! Jack O’Neill, you return to us.” I turned to see Eimon running towards me. He looked pleased to see me.

“Eimon,” I said as I hugged him back, while he squeezed me and my two packs in a large bear hug.

“You missed Mama’s wedding,” he admonished.

“I know, I’m sorry, Eimon.”

He turned and smiled broadly at Janet. “Eimon, meet Janet, Janet, Eimon. Without his help I would have died long ago.” Janet looked at me sharply. Ooops, I had let just a little too much slip there.

He offered to carry my extra pack, so I gratefully handed it over as it was very heavy. While we walked along towards his home, he filled me in the gossip of the town. He left the best news until last.

“Lisle is with child,” he whispered in my ear and then grinned all over his face. Respecting his customs, I saved that piece of news for Janet until later. However, it didn’t stop me congratulating him, though I slipped into Greek to do that so as to not embarrass him.

I could see that Janet was tired; she began to lag behind us while we walked along the large cobble-stoned road. I turned and walked back towards her and relieved her of her pack. She gave me a tired smile and didn’t protest.

As we neared their home, Eimon ran on ahead, shouting at the top of his voice so that all the neighbors could hear and come out to see what all the commotion was about.

Dashing through the large wooden front door of his home, Eimon yelled, “Mama! Lisle! Jack is home.”

I smiled reassuringly at Janet before we entered through the doorway. “They are nice people.” Just as I finished speaking the front hallway filled with people, with Mariam in the lead. The noise was almost overwhelming with the excitement of the women as they hugged me and the servants of the house welcomed me. I needn’t have worried about informing Janet of Lisle and Eimon’s news as it was obvious that Lisle had a baby on the way.

Janet seemed to have been forgotten, until Lisle turned to her and said. “Are you Samantha?” The room went dead quiet and Janet smiled, shaking her head.

Mariam started to speak to Lisle. I tried to stop her, but I wasn’t quick enough. “No, Lisle, you forget that Samantha lives no longer.”

I heard a gasp beside me and then sad eyes turned angry as she looked accusingly at me. “You didn’t tell me,” she hissed. I didn’t know what to say and now was not the time to discuss this.

“Jack!” I looked up at the sound of my name. Pushing the recent incident to the back of my mind for later, I moved forward to greet a great friend of mine.

“Alexander.” I clasped his arm in the way of these people before pulling him into a hug. He looked no different to when I last saw him.

Mariam interrupted what she knew would soon become a long conversation as Alexander and I could talk for hours on any subject. “Come, you must be hungry and tired.” She took Janet by her arm and led her away to one of the many rooms. I nodded reassuringly to her that she would be okay. Janet seemed to have forgiven me, but I was pretty sure that we would still be having ‘that conversation’ fairly soon.

I walked along with Alexander to one of the many bathrooms. He was quiet not as talkative as he was last time I was here.

“I’m sorry I didn’t get back for your wedding.”

“That’s all right, you said you might not make it in time.”

I had relieved Eimon of my extra pack and I was lugging both of them along beside me. “Would you like me to take those to your room?” he asked, indicating the packs.

“Thanks, but I need some of the stuff in them.” He nodded.

Just as he left me by the bathroom door, he said something unusual, something that puzzled me at the time, but I didn’t pursue it and I wish I had. “I’m looking forward to discussing medical matters with Janet Fraiser.” Before waving his hand and walking off down the hallway.

I loved the bathrooms in this house; they each had two large marble sinks with a drain, but no taps. Beside one of the sinks were two large flagons of water, one was steaming hot, while the other cold. I heard the whoosh then the gushing of water as the large tub or swimming pool as I liked to refer to it as, fill up with piping hot water. This was just what I needed; my body, head and even my teeth ached. It was so good to be home.

An hour later, relaxed, tired and feeling like a wrinkled prune I dumped my packs down on my old bed. Earlier, one of the servants had come in with some towels while I was half asleep in the tub, informing me that my old room was ready for me and that dinner would soon be ready. In other words, get your lazy butt out of there and get ready for dinner or you will be late. These guys are so polite, but you still got the message.

The meal went by without a hitch. Alexander and Janet talked non-stop about medical things, only stopping when Mariam had reminded him this particular subject (usually discussing an inner organ in minute detail) was not something we discussed at the meal table. The first time, it happened, Janet went bright red with embarrassment. I leaned over to her and quietly informed her not to worry. “He does this all the time, don’t worry about it. You just go ahead and talk to him.” I smiled at her, she smiled back. ‘Maybe she had forgiven me after all.’

“I still need to talk to you later, Jack,” she whispered back.

‘Uh oh - maybe not.’ Sometimes my life is very complicated.

Eimon talked about the shipping business and that now he and Lisle’s father were working together, it had flourished and the trading business was going better than ever. Apart from Mariam stopping Alexander’s subject from getting too gruesome, she was uncharacteristically quiet.

Finally, everyone had gone. Janet had nearly fallen asleep at the table and had gone to her room, Eimon and Lisle had retired early, and Alexander was called out on an emergency. So it was just Mariam and myself left.

We moved through into a small parlor and sipped wine from fine pewter goblets while I filled her in on what had happened to me and Janet. It took quite a bit of explaining about alternate realities and all the different scenarios that I came across, but she finally understood, I think. Mariam is an extremely intelligent woman and, until recently, she had been running the shipping company all by herself, only just relinquishing control on Eimon’s marriage. Maybe that was what was wrong, so I asked her.

“What is wrong Mariam?” She smiled and shook her head.

“I’m sorry about Lisle; I thought she knew, and I didn’t mean to cause a problem with my comment,” she said concerned.

“No, no.” I shook my head and smiled. “No, there is nothing between Janet and myself. She didn’t know that Sam was dead in this reality and they were best friends. I’m afraid Janet will find it hard when she gets back home.” We sat in silence for a while, as I remembered back to our earlier conversation.

She had waylaid me on my way to dinner. “So when were you going to tell me that my best friend was dead, Jack?” Her eyes had filled with tears, “The one person that would have understood the alternate universe better than anyone.”

I quickly pulled her into a small room out of everyone’s way and earshot. “It’s not something I talk about, and it didn’t come up,” was my excuse.

She threw her hands up in the air and walked around in a circle. “So who else is dead that I don’t know about?”

I picked up a small clay pot from a low table and turned it around in my hands, “No one that I know, but who knows what may have happened while I’ve been gone.” Then the dinner gong had sounded.

We had moved quickly to the dining room. Even though we had stopped talking now, I knew it wasn’t over yet.

“Jack?” The sound of my name brought me back to the present.

I looked up into the enquiring eyes of Mariam as she leaned forward and poked my knee with her finger to get my attention. “Sorry, Mariam.”

“Is everything all right?”

“Yes, everything is fine,” I lied.

“Good,” she said, sitting back with a frown on her face.

“Mariam, what is wrong?”

“I’m glad you are here as I am worried about Alexander.”

“How so?”

She shifted in her seat, crossing her legs and leaning back against the back of the low chair. “He has changed; he is more distant since we married. It started about three months ago, and he isn’t as talkative or as gregarious as he used to be.” The concern was strong in her voice as she related a few instances of uncharacteristic behavior.

“I will see what I can do, Mariam. You know me and Alexander, we talk about anything and everything. I am sure if something is bothering him, he will tell me eventually. Try not to worry.”

Mariam slowly rose from her seat and I followed suit. She squeezed my arm in gratitude and smiled calmly. “I know you will help.” She turned and glided from the room in her usual graceful manner.

I could barely keep my eyes open as I stumbled to my room; it had been one very long day. The bed had been made up for me and my two packs were still on the low table where I had left them before dinner. I sat down on the side of the bed and yanked off my boots before falling sideways onto the pillow and promptly went to asleep.

{“Sir! Help me; please don’t leave me to die.”

I watched in horror as Sam slowly slid away from me, her face a beacon in the dark gloom. I couldn’t see anything but Sam as tears ran down her face full of disbelief at what I had done. An immense overpowering feeling of guilt was filling me as I watched Sam die before my eyes and I did nothing to help her.

Suddenly, the vision spun away from me as I fell backwards down into a dark hole. Sam’s face, accusing me of her death, swung past me - one minute crying and the next full of anger. I started to fight my way up out of the hole, but long strings tangled up in my arms and legs so I couldn’t move and voices taunted me from the darkness. “Jaaaaaaaaaack. You killed Sam.” I tried to see who was taunting me, but was unsuccessful. More faces began to claw at me as they swirled past me, large big boned aliens with strange pointed chins; they hissed my name trying to touch me with their elongated talons. I stopped falling as though a parachute had just opened above me, slowing my previously too fast descent.}

I sat bolt upright, gasping in great gulps of air. Sweat had soaked my clothing, making my skin feel clammy as it began to cool on my body. The dream had been so real that I found it hard to shake off. Doubts began to assail me as I wondered if maybe I was not back in my own universe, but by some twist of fate I was still jumping from one parallel universe to another.

I looked out the window, dawn had just broken and the birds were in full song. I could hear rumblings of the house awakening as the servants went about their duties. I still had doubts about this world, and then I remembered something from when I was here last time. I pulled out my flashlight from one of the packs and crouched down in front of the air vent. The house was heated by a large ventilation system, something I knew both Daniel and Sam would have been interested in. I seem to remember Daniel prattling on about the ancient Romans having heating systems like this.

I found I couldn’t see anything, so I lay down flat on my front and peered down through the rectangular shaped hole. Even with the flashlight, I couldn’t see anything. I nearly gave up at that point. I really didn’t want to do what I knew I had to do next, as you never know what you might find in holes. I reached in with my bare hand into the small vent and groped around for it. I found something dry which crackled when I picked it up, but I knew it wasn’t what I was looking for. When I withdrew my hand I could see I was correct as I held in my hand a dried up autumn leaf.

I felt numb as I sat on the cold stone floor. Leaning the back of my head against the wall I was sitting against, my mind darted all over the place, only to finally rest on the memory of seeing Sam dead on the battle field. However hard I tried, I couldn’t move away from that scene. Startled, I opened my eyes as someone knocked on the door and walked in. It was Beatrice with breakfast on a tray.

“Good morning, Jack.” She paused in her tracks for a moment, and then continued to place the tray on the small table in the room. “You’ll get cold down there,” she stated in matter of fact manner, as if she had seen lots of grown men sitting on cold stone floors when a perfectly good chair was right beside them.

My eyes traveled to the tray which contained fresh home-made bread, a goblet of wine and, sitting right beside the goblet, my yoyo. A bright red one, Daniel had given it to me just before I had left Earth. He had muttered something about me not getting bored while traveling and after I had tangled up my blue one I would need a new one anyway.

“I believe this is yours,” Beatrice said as she held up my yoyo. “Gamol found it in the vents when he was cleaning them ready for winter this year.” She paused and took a step forward. “Jack, are you all right?”

I shut my mouth with a snap, then stood up quickly, grabbing her around the waist and swinging her around once before placing her carefully back on the ground. “Thank you, Beatrice, thank you Gamol,” I shouted to the absent man. I snatched up the bread and some clean clothes and darted out the door. Suddenly, life seemed a whole lot brighter. My unfounded fears had disappeared with the arrival of Beatrice and my yoyo.

I walked into the kitchen humming under my breath, even though my clothes were still slightly damp, extremely uncomfortable and I desperately needed a shower.

“Good morning, Jack.” Naleena was busy preparing something on the stove. A plump jovial lady in her mid forties, Naleena had been with Mariam and her first husband since she was a young scullery maid. As always in this household, the servants were part of the family.

“Good morning, Naleena, what are you making there?” I asked and stuck my finger in the cake mixture. I knew full well what this was.

“Something to feed the dogs as they are sick,” she answered, then laughed good-naturedly as I snatched my finger back. “Not really. A cake for you, Jack. I know you like them so much.”

I reached across and pecked her on the cheek, and took a swipe at the mixture hoping she wouldn’t notice. But she did and I felt the sting of a wooden spoon rapped across my knuckles. “Ow!” She laughed again.

Just then, Gamol lumbered into the kitchen and sat down at the table. He was covered from head to toe in coal dust. He pulled off his hat and slapped it down on the table in front of him. Grinning, I waited for the haranguing this great man would get from Naleena’s tongue, but nothing was forthcoming. Surprised, I joined him at the table and sat down opposite him.

“Thank you Gamol, for finding my yoyo.”

“Ya wot?” he asked gruffly.

“My yoyo,” I repeated and then held it out to show him, demonstrating its use in the process.

Naleena started muttering about kids and toys and how grown men should know better, but I ignored her. Gamol grinned at me and slid his dusty hat to the side and Naleena plonked a large plate of scrambled eggs and some fresh bread down in front of him, followed a few seconds later with two steaming cups of coffee for both him and myself.

“Thank you.” We spoke in unison.

While Gamol tucked into his breakfast, I then asked my question. “Do we have any hot water as I would like a shower?”

“Humph!” came from the stove area as Naleena spooned the cake mixture into a large round baking tin.

Gamol grinned around a mouthful of bread and nodded. “Yers. Don’t mind ‘er, she’s just got the wedding jitters.”

“Huh?” I leaned forward, “Who.”

“Who do ya think?” He grinned smugly back at me.

“Congratulations.” I thumped him on the shoulder and watched a cloud of coal dust float up into the air. “When’s the big day?”

“Fthinoporon.” Naleena chipped in.

My smile faded, I wouldn’t be here then, “I will not still be here in autumn,” I replied.

“Ortumm?” Gamol queried.

“Sorry, that is what we call fthinoporon where I come from. Actually we call it fall, but that would be even more confusing.” I rambled on a bit at the end, but they didn’t seem to mind.

“The water is hot. Why don’t you go and have yer shower, you look like you need it,” Gamol stated. I refrained from pointing out that I wasn’t the one covered from head to foot in coal dust. As Gamol’s job was to keep the furnace burning, and I had only ever seen him devoid of coal dust once in his life which was at Eimon’s wedding, I thought it prudent to keep my mouth shut. Of course the fact he would dwarf Teal’c in size had nothing to do with it.

I picked up my clothes and made my way to the bathroom. If Gamol said that the showers would be hot, then they would be hot. It was amazing how they worked; they had no pumping system, it was all done via gravity feed. No one but me ever had showers or baths in the morning, so the fact that Gamol had made sure that the water would be hot for me gave me great pleasure.

~*~

Later that day I discussed with Janet about her going back to the SGC. They would need her expertise and her new formula against this terrible virus that Baal was using against his enemies. I suggested that we go via Kelowna and that Jonas took her back to the SGC.

“Can’t you take me?” Janet asked.

“No,” I blurted out, before continuing, “Didn’t you ever meet Jonas in your universe?

“Yes,” she replied, “but I was hoping you would take me back so you could vouch for me.”

“Sorry, Janet, I’m not ready to go back to the SGC yet. They will keep me there too long, for debriefing… and I just not ready,” I repeated.

I stood up and started to pace around the small room that we were in. I was trapped. I needed to get away. This was what I had left the SGC for, so that I didn’t feel I had to explain myself to anyone if I didn’t want to.

“I understand, Jack.” I stopped pacing and faced her. She was smiling kindly at me with her ‘I am your doctor, I know you inside and out’ look. I shrugged and then sat down on one of the chairs.

~*~

The following day, we left early. Alexander was angry with me as I wouldn’t take him with me. The last thing Janet needed was another alien tagging along; she would have enough trouble on her own.

I quickly dialed through to Kelowna and was pleased to see that one of the guards recognized me. We were served refreshments while we waited for Jonas to arrive.

“Jack. Where have you been?” he asked as soon as he strode into the small office we were sitting in. He paused and stared at Janet. “Doctor Frasier, but I... I…” He faltered before stopping altogether.

“Alternate universe, Jonas,” I explained as briefly as possible. With his brain he should be able to work it out for himself.

“Cool,” he exclaimed and sat down on one of the chairs. “What ha-“

“You will have plenty of time to ask her later, but I need you to do something for me,” I interrupted him in mid question.

He stopped staring at Janet and swiveled around to face me. “What would you like me to do, Jack?”

“Take Janet back to the SGC and make sure she is settled in okay. If there are any problems, I will be at this address for the next few days. After that, who knows,” I shrugged as I handed him a piece of paper.

“That won’t work, Jack, and you know it,” he said firmly.

“Don’t worry, I’ll talk to Hammond, but I’m not going back. Not yet,” I replied just as firmly.

He nodded. “I just need to sort a few things out, and then I will be back.”

“Fine, we’ll just wait here, we’re not going anywhere,” I stated. I watched him stand and then start to walk out the room. “Jonas,” he paused and turned back towards me, “How’s Malia?”

“Malia’s fine, she’s living with us now.” I nodded with understanding. That meant Malia’s mother must have died from her illness.

“Say hi to her for me.”

“Yup sureyoubetcha.” He grinned then left very quickly.

I won’t bore you with the argument that ensued between Hammond and myself, but it was long and tedious. One hour and lots of shouting on Hammond’s part later, I watched Jonas and Janet walk through the event horizon to Earth.

Just before they had left, I assured Janet that I would be along to visit her soon.

“Define, soon,” she asked.

“When I’m ready,” was the only answer I could give her.

She gave a nod of acceptance and whispered, “Thank you,” in my ear as she hugged me tight.

It was strange that all the time I was in the alternate reality I wanted to get back to my universe and my SGC, but now I was here, I didn’t. The place had too many ghosts, from my universe and alternate ones. This wasn’t the only reason why I didn’t want to go. I had promised Mariam I would help and I owed them more than I could ever repay.

As soon as the Stargate shut down, I dialed up Ellatha.

~*~