Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Off the Grid Tag

by LJEvans
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Off the Grid Tag

Off the Grid Tag

by ljevans

Summary: Sam and Jack's reaction to the events of "Off the Grid".
Category: Missing Scene/Epilogue
Episode Related: 916 Off the Grid
Season: Season 9
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/12/06

Off the Grid Missing Scene
A/N: Is it just me, or is Cameron Mitchell and idiot?!
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
"We have got the best jobs in the world!" Lieutenant Colonel Cameron Mitchell exclaimed to no one in particular.
"I'm gonna hit the showers," Sam said as she walked away.
"Yeah,... I'm gonna find a doctor." Daniel stated as he also left the embarkation room.
At the post mission briefing General Landry had been brought up to speed on the disposition of the stolen stargates, the Lucian Alliance and all that SG1 had been through over the past few days. The one thing he was not told was that it was Cameron Mitchell's "plan" that nearly got them all killed.
As soon as the briefing was over Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter headed for her lab, intending to grab her laptop, some notes and head straight home.
"Hey! Sam! Wait up." Called Colonel Mitchell.
She stopped and turned to look at him with a less than happy expression on her face.
"What is it Cameron?"
"Well, I thought maybe we could have a team night tonight. You know, grab a pizza, watch an Indiana Jones movie...."
"I don't think so." Sam replied curtly and walked off toward her lab.
"Jackson!"
Damn! Daniel thought, I am not in the mood for this. "What is it Mitchell?"
"What's up with Sam lately? I thought she practically lived at the SGC before her time at Area 51."
"Well, she's just a little pissed off at you right now."
"Pissed at me? Why?"
"Because you did something really stupid and nearly got us all killed."
"Whadda ya mean? Getting into trouble and escaping with your lives at the last second is what SG1 has always done."
"No, it's not. We always consulted with each other. We made the best decision we could based on the information we had. One of us didn't go off half cocked with some stupid plan that the others didn't know about, and weren't consulted on, and then nearly end up dead twice because of said stupid plan." Before Cameron had a chance to form a reply, Daniel Jackson hurried off to his own lab thankful to be alive.
Forty five minutes after the briefing ended Sam unlocked the door to her house, stepped inside and breathed a sigh of relief. She went directly to the kitchen, opened the refrigerator and pulled out a beer. She popped it open, picked up her phone, hit "two" on the speed dial and went to sit on the couch.
"O'Neill" The familiar voice at the other end answered.
"Hi, Jack."
"What's wrong?" He asked her.
"What makes you think something's wrong?"
"Sam, I know you."
"Has Landry called to fill you in on the stolen stargate fiasco yet?"
"Yes...."
"Well, did he mention how close we came to death?"
"Uh,.... he said that the Odyssey used the new implants to beam you to safety and then you gated home."
"Yeah, well, that's not the whole story."
"What happened, Sam?" There was genuine concern in the General's voice.
"Cam came up with some stupid harebrained idea that he was going to make contact with the people who were selling the kassa, you know, the drugged corn? The problem was that he didn't consult with Daniel, Teal'c or me, he just went off on his own and ended up getting us all captured and nearly killed. SG1 is suppose to be a team but he seems to think it's fun to nearly get our selves killed every week!" The frustration was evident in Sam's voice and while she didn't want to seem like she was whining and complaining to the head of Homeworld Security, she did want to vent her frustrations to an understanding husband.
"So, Cam isn't working out so well......?"
"It's not that, Jack. It's just that he doesn't quite understand the team concept."
"You want me to have a talk with General Landry about it?"
"Oh, god, no, Jack! I know that Daniel and Teal'c are working on him and I'm sure that eventually he'll figure it out."
"And the last thing you want is for your husband to pull any strings for you." He said lightheartedly.
"That's right, Jack," she said with a smile.
"Even though no one knows we're married."
"The President knows," she teased "and besides it will come out eventually."
"So, how close was it this time, Sam?" He asked in a serious tone.
"Another 10 seconds and instead of this phone conversation you would have had a fresh faced Lieutenant standing at your door with a telegram from the DOD."
General O'Neill closed his eyes and blew out a breath.
"Jack...."
"I know, Sam."
There was silence on the line for a moment and then Jack said "I love you, Sam."
"I love you too, Jack."
"Listen, Sam, I know we agreed that we would just see each other on the weekends, but since I called in that marker from Thor and we have the transporter stones, I'm coming home tonight. I have a few more things to finish up here at the office and then I'll be home. I'll see you in a couple hours."
"Thanks, Jack. I'll see you soon."
"Yeah. Bye." Jack hung up the phone, closed his eyes and put his head in his hands. It had been hard when he was in charge of the SGC to send Sam out on missions, but nothing like this. He was thousands of miles away and she was his wife. He didn't know he could feel this helpless and vulnerable.
General O'Neill quickly finished up the rest of his paperwork and then left the office for his small apartment in Alexandria. He didn't even bother to change out of his uniform, but went directly to the bedroom where he had installed the transportation stone that Thor had given him and Sam as a wedding present. He touched the stone and in a flash of light was transported to Sam's bedroom in Colorado Springs.
"Hi, Honey, I'm Home!" He said in his best imitation of a 60's sitcom dad as he stepped out into the hallway.
Sam appeared almost instantly and threw her arms around his neck. "I am so glad to see you!" She said before he put his hands on her face and kissed her.
"Not as glad as I am to see you," he said between kisses.
"I love you, Jack," she said.
"I love you, too. Always."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to ljevans