Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Spreading the Christmas Spirit – A short General Jack Christmas special.

by Flatkatsi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Spreading the Spirit of Christmas - A short General Jack Christmas Special

The soft buzz of the telephone on my desk was a welcome distraction. I gave Stiler an apologetic look, silently thanking whoever it was on the other end of the line for saving me from death by boredom.

“Jack, I’d like to see you in my office. Now.”

Umm. General Hammond didn’t seem too happy. Maybe I was better off listening to Stiler drone on about power savings.

I decided on a positive approach as I knocked lightly, waiting for his invitation to enter.

“Come.”

“You wanted to see me, sir?” I didn’t let my happy smile budge one inch, despite his glower.

“Yes, Jack. I have a problem.” He tapped his finger on the form in front of him.

I recognised it instantly and beamed proudly.

George glared back.

“Just how did you expect to get this past me, Jack?”

“I didn’t, George. I was hoping that you would spot it. Good idea, isn’t it? Great for staff moral.”

“Exactly how does the requisition of this much tinsel and so many decorations constitute a good idea?”

I allowed my grin to broaden even further.

“Don’t forget the lights, George. I asked for lights. Nothing like some flashing coloured lights to cheer people up”

I could tell that I was wearing him down by the tiny twitch of his lips.

“Actually, it was Teal’c’s idea.”

That finally did it. I had broken him. He lowered his head, and banged it gently twice on his desk, the light gleaming off the top like an angel’s halo on a summer’s day. When he continued, it was in a mumble, muffled by his arms.

“Teal’c’s idea?”

“He suggested that we needed to put up some Christmas decorations. He was inspired by his last visit to the mall.” I lowered my voice and whispered. “He even bought some CDs of Christmas songs.”

“Oh dear God, no!” It was a cry from the heart.

“Oh yes. They should be good ones too. I know that he asked the manager of Walmart for a copy of the ones they were playing.”

The bald, light reflecting head, thumped once more, ever so gently.

“He offered to pay for the decorations himself, but I told him that the Air Force couldn’t have him do that.”

George looked up, a small indentation from a file slowly disappearing from his forehead. I was glad that he had had something soft for his head to land on.

“General O’Neill.” Uh oh! That was a little like having your mother call you by your full name, including the middle one. “Even if I did sign off on the decorations, how could I possibly justify the cost? The Christmas tree alone…” He stopped. I swear his eyes bulged. “HOW big?”

“Well, it’s to go in the gate room, and it would look silly if it was too small, wouldn’t it, sir? What with that big space and all.”

“Silly? Silly! Why can’t we just have a small tree in the Mess Hall as usual?”

“I thought that it would be nice if our guests saw it as soon as they arrived.”

“Guests? Guests!”

I was starting to get a trifle worried. That was the second time that George had repeated himself in as many minutes.

“For the Christmas lunch.” I stopped, looked at his face, and put my hand to my mouth. “Did I forget to tell you?”

“Tell me what, General?” George’s voice was getting more strained by the second.

“About the party.” I allowed a small glimmer of self-preservation to show through my calm exterior. “It was Teal’c’s idea.”

“Teal’c’s idea?”

This was getting really bad. He was still repeating himself.

“Yes, sir. He suggested that seeing he enjoyed the Christmas traditions so much, that we should allow others to experience them.” I remembered something that might sway the General. “He’s doing all the cooking. No need to annoy the kitchen staff.”

George stood and raised himself up as high as he could, obviously trying to look me in the eye, but missing by several inches. He spoke slowly and firmly.

“Who have you invited to Christmas lunch, General?”

“Just friends, sir. Jacob, Thor, Bra’tac, Ry’ac, ummm” I hesitated and thought hard. “Let me see. Ah…Garshaw, Lya, a couple of others that I’m not sure that you know.” I saw his look and hurried on. “But I’m sure that you’ll like them, sir. Don’t worry, I won’t let Teal’c seat you with anyone you don’t know.”

He looked like he was about to blow.

“We had a really good time at my birthday party. I thought – “Why not?” Most of them have replied already.” I beamed again. “I tell you what. I’ll go start organising the presents.”

I turned to the door, but hearing the agitated puffing coming from behind me, I just couldn’t keep it up. As I opened it, I swung around, and snapped out.

“Got ya!” before doing my best General running for dear life impression.

“Jack!” I’m sure that the loud shout had more laughter than anger in it.

Didn’t it?


The End