Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Asgard Intervention, The

by Wendy Gilliatt
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Asgard Intervention

The Asgard Intervention

by Wendy Gilliatt

TITLE: The Asgard Intervention
AUTHOR: Wendy Gilliatt
EMAIL: x-philes@worldnet.att.net
CATEGORY: angst
SPOILERS: In the Line of Duty, Tokra I & II
SEASON / SEQUEL: AU, Season 4
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: Deals with the emotions surronding infertility.
SUMMARY: The Asgard wish for proof to the 'mating', and Sam and Jack discover that may not be possible.
STATUS: Completed
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This belongs with Anna's series regarding the arranged marriage of Sam and Jack by the Asgard.
I've talked with Anna about doing the prequel to her story 'The Gift of The Asgard'. I don't know for sure that infertility would be a problem for Sam, but considering it is a problem on the rise in normal society, I don't think it is a stretch. I certainly do not intend to offend, and this is based on my own experience in life, only with happier results. I never got pregnant, and many don't, may we all find caring attitudes in life no matter the outcome.

Jack left General Hammond's office with an overall feeling of disbelief and digust. He hadn't really minded Thor's demanding his marriage, afterall, Jack got what he wanted out of that deal, but this was a bit much. The Asgard demanding 'proof' of their mating in the form of a child, that was , that was, well ---barbaric. If Jack were honest though, that isn't what bothered him. Daniel had implied as much from his limited understanding of the situation, which is why Jack and Sam had never practiced birth control, but now the validity of their efforts was being called into question. Jack was upset, but mainly because he knew how this would affect Sam. They had been married ten months now, and Sam was beginning to worry about the lack of a pregnancy. Now to know she had to see Janet about it, well he didn't want to have to tell her, but he certainly couldn't let anyone else.

Sam completed her dressing, and left the infirmary without a word, there was nothing she could say. The knot in her stomach, competed with the swollen knot of tears in her throat, and threatened to make her sick. She could not cry, not here , not now, hell, maybe not ever. The tears had formed, but they could not be released, and thus remained trapped in her throat. She needed to get away, far away, but where was there to go. Sam had driven for nearly an hour, each stop making her panic more than the last, until she found herself at a nearly deserted park, exhausted. Every place she stopped found Sam confronted by the reality of children, and pregnancy, a reality she may never know. Babies gurgled and coohed, and every pregnant woman in Colorado Springs felt the need to walk by her car, life was unfair. In the stillness of approaching night, Sam thought about her life. The efforts she went to daily to protect the world around her, to make it safe for children, the knowledge that she would someday add her own child to the population, but it was not to be.

Sam felt irrationally angry, at life, at the Tokra, and at the pregnant woman crossing the park with her husband. This was something she had dreamed of, she and Jack both ......

"OH God, Jack," she wailed into the stillness of night. No one to hear, no one to care, and no one who would wrap her in their arms and make it all go away. Jack, he deserved better than her, he deserved a woman that wasn't broken, hell, he deserved a woman, and Sam was no longer sure she qualified.

"So this is my punishment," she asked the darkness, " I spent so much time trying to be one of the boys, I've lost all hope of ever being a woman. It wasn't supposed to be like this," she screamed as the tears finally made there way down her face.

It was several hours later when Sam returned to base, she knew Jack would be worried, but she was simply too numb. She had lost it all in the space of an afternoon, she was sure. Sam had come to a decision, one that wasn't ruled by her head or logic, one that was pure emotion, one that would shatter what was left of her heart. She would apologize to Jack, she would give him up if that is what he wanted. It wasn't fair to trap him with a woman that was defective, broken, not when he wanted another child so badly.

Jack held Sam as she cried again that night. He had reassured her, the best he could, that he loved her. Sam was the most important thing to him, yes he wanted children, but not at the expense of Sam. Truth be told, Jack wasn't so sure that he wasn't being punished. He had allowd Charlie to die, maybe it was him that wasn't to have more children, and Sam was the innocent pawn stuck in a higher beings power play. It made him angry, but he forced himself to relax. Sam needed rest, and she would become restless every time he became tense, but this wasn't over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack could hardly believe the events of the past month, and now he awaited eagerly for the return of his wife. Sam had been devasted by Janet's revelation of her infertility, and this had not gone unnoticed. Thor had stepped in, the Asgard could help, he had promised, and before Jack could speak, Sam was gone. He worried about her being alone, but Thor had assured all that she would be fine. This had happened nearly a month ago, and now Sam was being returned, to the infirmary. The familiar lights dazzled around a bed, and there lay Sam. She had a puzzling look, that was rather hard to read, on her face as she held out a hand to Jack.

"Are you okay Sam?"

"Yeah Jack, I guess. What did Thor tell you?"

"Not much Honey, he said that you would need several more days of bedrest, but that's all."

"He said it worked."

"What worked?"

"I don't know Jack, it's too fuzzy, and I'm so tired, but he said it worked."

"Sam, if it worked, why aren't you happier."

"It's hard to explain, but it won't be real until it happens. I got hopeful so many months, only to be dissappointed again, I don't want to do that. It's easier to be numb. Jack, I knew there was a problem long before I was forced to see Janet, Janet just made it real."

"It will be okay this time Sam. We just have to believe."

"Yeah, believe, " Sam mumbled as she drifted off to sleep, dreams of a boy with Jack's hair and eyes daring to show it's face, if only in her dreams.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Wendy Gilliatt