Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Real World

by Tropical
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Real World

Real World

by Tropical

Title: Real World
Author: Tropical
Email: charlizecarter77@Hotmail.com
Category: Series, Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: None
Season: 5
This story is a sequel to: Honestly Ok
Series: Max
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: none
Status: Incomplete
Summary: Someone talks with Sam and Jack and clear their senses about their relationship. Can they still be together? Will Max finally have a dad?
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: I want to say BIG BIG thanks To Kami. She gave me great inspiration for this story!
Thanks Girl!
Feedback are SWEET!!!!!

The next day, Sam brought Max back home. He was still a little weak but with some rest he would be fine. Jack spent some time with them. He and Max started to become best friends. Everyone gathered at her house that night to celebrate Max's arrival. Everyone was there all except Jack. Sam was a little surprised that he hadn't phone or called for Max, and was worried also. She quickly thought he had regretted what happened the last few weeks at the hospital. The party finally finished and Max had more presents than on Christmas day. Everyone left and Sam was left alone with Max to clean up the mess.

She was sad; though she tried to hide it from Max, she was sad he hadn't come to the party. He left yesterday without any good bye.

"Momy, are you ok?" Sam snapped out of her thoughts when she heard her son's voice talking to her. She turned around and look at Max "yeah, baby, momy is just tired, that's all" he nod "come on, let's get you to bed" she started tickling him and Max laughed loudly. Then they ran to the bathroom, testing who was going to arrive first. Of course, Sam let Max win and they had a great time. Once Max was getting asleep, Sam exited his room and closed the door slowly behind her. She stopped at her living room entrance and stared at the mess "great" she said to herself. Suddenly, she heard a knock on the door. Thinking it might've been her friends forgetting something, she opened up quickly.

"Hey" Jack smiled at her "can I come in?"

Sam nod and let him in 'was he here to brake it off?' she thought and closed the door slowly.

"You didn't come to the party" she started.

"I know, I have a good reason too" just then, she noticed he had a very large box in his hands. Sam frowned and look up at him "what is it?"

"Wake up Max" he suddenly said.

Sam raised her eyebrows "excuse me? He just gotten to sleep." she protested.

"Go on, please, I have a surprise for him and it can't wait for tomorrow"

"But if he's sleeping..." she started but he cut her off "go!" Sam nod and walk to her son's room "baby? Are you sleeping yet?"

"No momy" Sam smiled and walk towards his bed "Jack is here and he has a surprise for you, do you want to wait for tomorrow?"

Max was completely awake now and ran out of his room, shouting "Jack!"

Jack put down the box and hugged the little boy tightly "hey buddy, how ya doing?" he ask and smiled.

"What's the surprise!?!" he asked excited. Jack laughed and saw Sam leaning against the doorframe, watching them. She nodded and watch Jack get the large box in front of her son. Max's eyes widen and started to get even more excited.

"Open it. Slowly" he warned the boy. Max nod and slowly opened the box. Suddenly, a small puppy jumped out of the box and on to Max.

"A puppy!! Momy, Jack gave me a puppy!" Max cried out in joy and hugged Jack tightly "thank you, Jack"

"You're welcome, buddy"

It was a small golden Labrador and he was running around Max happily "how are you gonna call him?"

Max look down at the small dog sitting in front of him and staring at him "Star", the boy decided.

"Star? Wow, that's a great name" Max smiled and took the puppy in his arms and walked to Sam.

"Look, his name is Star" Sam knelt down, surprised that Jack had bought him a puppy "he's adorable. Now, bring your new puppy to sleep and tomorrow we'll have a walk with him, ok?" Max nod and kissed her good night and surprisingly, kissed Jack good night also.

Once he was out of sight, Sam turned back to look at Jack in disbelief "you bought him a puppy!?"

"What?" Jack struggled and made his way towards her "that's the rule, every kid has to have a puppy"

Sam lowered her gaze on the floor "what's wrong, Sam? You don't like him?"

"No, I love the puppy, thank you. It's just, I thought you wouldn't come back." her voice faded sadly.

"Oh god, no Sam. I wouldn't leave. What made you think that?" he asked, stroking her lower arms.

"You didn't say bye or anything and you didn't came today."

"I don't say 'bye' to the people I'll never leave, angel" Sam look up and noticed he had tears in his eyes "you're the best that happened to me, I couldn't let you go. Not now, not ever"

She leaned towards him, kissing him firmly. This time, they didn't stop the passion; they continued it in her bedroom.

The next morning, Jack woke up feeling someone lying on his chest. Looking down, he saw Sam sleeping soundly against his chest. He smiled at the memory of last night; well all night would be exact. He loved the feeling of her warm skin against his. He lifted his hand and stroke her soft skin on her back, making Sam stir.

"Hey, beautiful" he greeted her warmly. Sam smiled at him and kissed him passionately "hey yourself" she whispered softly and smiled.

"So, good night sleep?" he ask, smiling widely.

Sam giggled at his expression "sure did!"

"Well, that's great 'cause it's the same here" he spoke softly and rolled her back on the bed so he could be on top of her. Sam giggled again and Jack silent her with a kiss.

"How'bout a good breakfast?" he said, raising his eyebrows once they broke apart. Sam smiled and nod "good idea" he kissed her again and they both got out of bed "why don't you take a shower and I'll check on Max and the breakfast"

"Ok, that's sounds wonderful"

Jack walked to the kitchen and saw Max and Star on the couch in the living room, watching tv. He felt a little nervous about how to explain he spent the night at their house "Hey there, Maxie" he teased and made his way towards him "did you have a nice sleep?" Max look away from the tv and to Jack "yes, Star was nice all night"

"What are you watching?"

"Mm. Pokemon but I don't like"

"Wanna help me with the breakfast? So we can give a big surprise to momy?"

"Yay! Come on Star. Jack and I we're going to do breakfast for momy!" Max happily said before leaving the room to help Jack with breakfast.

"How'bout pancakes?" "Pancakes! Momy love them!!"

"Then, lets start"

Jack and Max started making pancakes. Without counting the mess they made, they had a lot of fun. Jack had to admit to himself, Max was a very adorable kid and he really like being with him.

Sam finally stepped out of the shower and dressed herself in a pair of baggy pants and a T-shirt. She rubbed a towel against her still wet hair and made her way to her kitchen. She was shocked to see the mess they had made while making the breakfast "what happened here?" she gasped. Max and Jack turned around to face her and they had an 'Uh oh, you got us' look on their faces.

"We made breakfast, momy" Max said and lifted a bowl in his hands with the pancakes mix.

Sam raised her eyebrows and stared at them. Max proudly smiled like any kid would smile after he just did something good and Jack just stared at her, a sweet smile cross his features "actually, go in the living room, everything'll be done in a sec"

Sam nod, smiling at them and walked out of the kitchen. She sat on the couch and relaxed. She felt good, though today she and Jack would have to go talk to Hammond, which Sam didn't want to do. Things were so right now, why did they have to mess it all up?

Then she heard laughing coming from the kitchen. Max loved Jack and she guessed that he loved him to. She knew that sometimes, Max would make him think of his deceased son but Jack rarely showed it. She found herself smiling, she was happy and no matter what the consequences, she was going to stay with the two men she cared the most in the world.

"Hey baby" Sam almost jumped at the sound of Jack's voice. She look up and blushed "ready?"

"Yep, come on" He helped her up and kissed her on the lips before leading her to the kitchen. Max was sitting at the table with loads of pancakes and syrup on the table "breakfast is served" Jack said and they sat at the table.

"Wow, guys, this is very nice of you" Max started giggling and look at Jack "it was Jack's idea" Sam turned to look at Jack "well thank you, the both of you"

They started eating the delicious breakfast Jack and Max had made together for Sam, then Jack told her to sit down and promised her they would clean the mess they had done. Sam was touched by their actions and walked to the living room and sat on the couch before pulling out her book. As she got comfortable in her seat, the door suddenly knock.

Sam forced herself up and quickly made her way to the door, "Dad!" Sam breathed in surprised and smile "What are you doing here?"

Jacob grinned and hugged his daughter warmly before stepping in the house.

"Well, I had some leave from the Tok'ra. Thought I'd come by and see how you and Max were doing" Laughter was suddenly heard from the kitchen and Jacob glance back at her with a wide smile "And I needed to talk with you and Jack"

Sam felt herself blush "How's you know he was here?"

Jacob chuckled "You two are the talk of the SGC. By what I gathered, you are inseparable" he joked. Sam rolled her eyes and called out for her son. Max came running out of the kitchen and launched himself around Jacob's neck, screaming "Grand Daddy!"

Jack quietly made his way out of the kitchen, looking all very nervous. Jacob put down Max and smiled at Jack "Hey, Jack" he greeted as if it was like any other day. Jack waved and forced a smile "Uh, Hey Jacob" he greeted quietly. After a moment, Sam asked Max if he could leave them some privacy for several minutes and dress himself up.

"I'm sure you have a good idea of why I'm here on this fair morning?" Jacob started once Max was out of sight. They both nod and made their way to the couch.

"General Hammond told you all about it I presume?" Jack started.

Jacob nod thoughtfully and glance back at them "Yes he did. He also wanted me to clear your senses" Both Sam and Jack raised their eyebrows in disbelief.

"Dad..." Sam quickly started, unable to feel a little hurt by his sudden direct approach.

"You two have to think about it. I know since everyone learned Sam had a son, things heated up between... well, you two. And the hard time during Max was at the hospital was the most sad, unpleasant and perhaps even cruel but you can't act on the feelings now"

"Sir, with respect. This is not your business" Jack started, unable to control the anger towards him.

"Jack, I know you care a lot for my daughter. I also know she cares a great deal for you. Anyone knows you two are meant to be together but is this the right time?"

"You tell me, Jacob! When will be the right time before we act on those feelings!" Jack retorted, leaning his back against the couch and crossed his arm against his chest.

"You two have great careers and the SGC is the most wonderful work you can find in the whole world. You can't just throw your careers away and walk away"

"Sir, with respect. I love my work and I agree that it might be difficult to walk away from it but I've been in retirement before this, I know where I'm going"

"And as I remembered, you found retirement pretty damn boring!", pointed Jacob.

"Then I didn't know Carter very well... Heck! I didn't know her at all and neither Max", Jack defended himself.

"We're going to see General Hammond today" Sam told her father, somehow feeling a little nervous. Jacob let out a sigh and nod slowly "It's soon"

"We can't keep this a secret, Jacob. I'm not putting anyone in this family in jeopardy!", Jack firmly stated. Jacob had to smile at little, "I'm glad you have your priorities, Jack. But you two are too valuable for the SGC to loose. Right now, we are close to get the Goau'lds and we need SG-1 out there, all of you"

"I'm sure someone can replace me with no problem" Jack replied.

"Jack, you miss the point here. We need *you* and Sam out there, fighting for Earth, fighting for justice. We can't be in battle when you are no longer part of SG-1. If this is not enough, fight for Max"

Max walked in the living room suddenly, dressed in jeans and white T-Shirt. He smiled at Jacob "Are you staying for a long time, Grand Daddy?"

Jacob sadly shook his head "I'm sorry, Max, but I have to got to work. I promise I'll come by and visit you as soon as I have the time" he promised and kissed the boy on the forehead. Max nod sadly but manage a small smile.

"Oh, Ok"

"Good, I'll see you soon" he stood up and smiled at Sam and Jack "Think about all this. Think carefully" he told them and left. It took Sam some time before snapping out of her thoughts and look at her son still standing in the living room, somehow lost in his own thoughts.

"Sweetie, I have to go to work for only a short while. You will have to stay at Steven's house next door until we'll be back. Now why don't you get your vest in your bedroom" Max nod and made his way to his room once again. Sam turned to look at Jack and found him seriously deep in his thoughts. She knew her father's speech touched him deeply but decided now wasn't a good time to talk about it.

"Momy! I can't find it!" Sam heard Max shouting furiously from his bedroom and went to help him.

Jack continued to stare in deep space with a thoughtful look on his face. He had to admit Jacob had a valid point that none considered before. He knew he couldn't cope if he would choose to stay here and something would happen to Sam while off world. That was a reason why they had worked so well together; they trusted each other with their lives.

Snapping out of his thoughts, he made his way to Max's bedroom and leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed against his chest.

Sam was kneeling in front of Max, adjusting his shirt correctly "are you going for long long time, momy?" Max ask, breaking the silence.

"I'll be back in a few hours, I promise" Max smiled and nod. Sam put his green cap on his head and smiled "you can bring your baseball glove and ball, maybe Steven would like to play with you" Max nod and ran to his chest and brought out his baseball items Sam just mentioned.

Jack smiled to himself at the sight before him. He knew Sam always had a knack for kids. She was great with Max, they got along like a house on fire. He had to admit he started to be close to Max himself. This was a good thing and also bad. Max already lost a father, Jack would be damned if he would do something to break this kid's heart. They were getting along well together even though they just knew each other for several weeks.

"Are you ok?" he snapped out of his thoughts when he suddenly heard Sam's voice speaking to him. He nod hesitantly and look at her walking towards him. Without any words, he drew her by the waist and kissed her softly.

"I don't know. Everything's just confusing!" he explained. Sam nod her agreement and played with the collar of his shirt "I understand. Do you think my father is right?"

"I have to agree we *are* a great team but... I don't know if I can let you go now that I have you," he admitted. Sam smiled at him "me too. But maybe if we wait, we may be in more peace in a future relationship... if you still want one that is" she added as an after-thought. Jack glared at her "Of course I would still want one!" he said as a matter of fact.

Max came to them and grinned happily "I'm ready, momy!"

Sam smiled at her son and nod "Ok, let's get you to Steven's house right away then!" Max ran towards the front door and waited patiently for them. Sam locked her door and smiled at Jack.

"Why don't you get Max there and I'll wait for you in the car" she ask. Jack grinned at her and led Max to her neighbor's house. After a few knocks on the door, a woman answered followed by a young boy.

"Hello, I'm Jack and I'm here to bring Max for awhile" Jack started. The woman smiled widely and look at Max "Hi, Max! I've been so worried about you. How are you?"

"I'm well, miss Maria" Max answered and smiled when Steven came to view behind her. The woman look back at Jack and shook hands with him.

"I'm Maria Vonda and this is my son, Steven Vonda. It's nice to meet you mister..."

"Jack! Jack O'Neill" Jack presented himself and smiled.

"I should go. We'll be back before dinner" he reassured her. Maria laughed, "Don't worry. It makes Steven someone to play with. See you later, Jack" Max turned to look at Jack and pulled him down to kiss him goodbye on the cheek "Bye" he waved. Jack stepped away from the door but caught the few words between Steven and Max.

"Who is the man with your momy, Max?"

"Oh he's so much fun! He's my new daddy!" and then they ran to the backyard.

Jack felt his heart stop in a heartbeat and stared into space in shock and disbelief. Of course he wouldn't mind being called dad from Max. Only, Sam had to know about this first but the foremost reason was that maybe Sam and him wouldn't be seeing each other in some while. He wouldn't want Max to think he'd left her. Life was being so hard on them these passed few days.

He stepped in the car next to Sam and drove off quietly. On their way to the base, Sam glance at him.

"You're quiet, was everything ok?"

"Everything was fine... I was just thinking about SG-1 and... Us"

Sam nod slowly and in understanding. Jack cleared his throat and look at her with curious eyes "What do you want to do? I mean what if it's not accepted and one of us had to leave the team?"

Sam stayed quiet for a while and sigh "Well, I guess I'd take the choice that seems the safest but that doesn't mean it's the happy one" she explained and gazed at him. "I think if we continue to work together, we might be able to defeat the Goau'lds once and for all and get a quiet and happy life. Of course, the down side of this is when this will happen"

"So, I guess we know where we both want to be if this is not accepted. There is not a chance in hell am I going to leave you alone off-world while I'm doing nothing here!" he stated firmly.

"I guess if it's not accepted, we both stay on SG-1 and break what we have right now... right?"

Jack made a face "I wish there would be another way. Jacob is right, if we stay on SG-1, we do it for Max. Keep him safe from whatever danger may come in the near future" he rubbed his face nervously and look back at her "But this we can think better tonight. I don't want to think about leaving you or loosing you. We go talk to Hammond, see what he can do right now and if the decision is not what we thought it would be, well then we'll make a proper decision. Deal?"

Sam smiled and nod "Deal!"

They arrived at the base and walked in the SGC's hallways. It was quiet and almost all SGC personnel were on downtime. They arrived at Hammond's office and shared a look before knocking on the door.

"Come in" came an answer and the two officers stood in.

"Colonel O'Neill, major Carter. What can I do for you?" Hammond leaned back in his chair and stared at them. He wasn't dumb and Jacob called him to tell him they would come. He was prepared for their question but as for the answer, it wasn't his duty to tell.

"We have something to say, sir" Jack started and the two officers sat down in front of their CO's desk. Hammond nod at them to continue and waited patiently.

"Sir, we have a problem and we need your opinion about it. My father came by my house early today and told us his point of view about it. Now we need yours and see if there's something that can be done," Sam explained, never leaving eye contact with Hammond.

The General was somehow relieved to hear him say that. He thought they would have come here only to tell them about their 'relationship' and Jack's retirement. He was also happy to have his word in this.

"Let me hear what you have to say" the General nod.

"Sir, since Max's days at the hospital, Carter and I have been sort of seeing each other. We know this is not a secret or revelation for you but it is important you know about this. I spent a lot of time with them and I don't regret anything that has happened. For truth, this was one of the best things that happened to me in a very long time. Jacob came by her house today and told us what he thought about our relationship. E said nothing against it and was even happy we had each other, though there was SG-1 to consider most of all"

Hammond was stunned to hear him speak. Of course this wasn't a revelation and it both made them very happy to have each other in a romantic relationship, but hearing Jack saying they had to think about SG-1 mostly was completely a shock for him.

"There are a lot of pros and cons to consider if we do have a relationship. We would be very happy together, but also we couldn't cope if something happens to the other who's out there fighting the Goau'lds alone with a new team member. To get to the point, sir, we have thought of two ways only to plan our near future"

Sam picked up where he'd left off with confidence. "Either we both stay on SG-1 and be free of having a relationship or we'll have to break off whatever we had to keep SG-1 together until the Goau'lds are dead"

Hammond stared at them longer than anticipated. These alternatives must have been very hard to decide, certainly when they finally had a chance to be together. The General studied the two officers in front of him with admiration and pride. He was also happy that they have thought about the sake of SG-1 if they one of them would leave.

"And in what may I have a word in this?" he broke the heavy silence.

"If we made the right choices" Sam quietly explained.

Hammond sigh and leaned back on his desk. "Very well, I will say my word as you say. I am very stunned to hear what I have heard from you two. I'm sure it took a lot of power to come here and tell me this face to face. I am also grateful you are giving me a say in this. Your choices are well but will you be able to cope if the first is denied?"

Jack took a deep breath and lock gaze with the General "We talked and thought about it since Jacob came by and yes, we are ready. Though it will be hard to do so, but we do this for the sake of this planet. Most of all, for the sake of Max. To keep him safe, SG-1 needs the both of us out there"

Hammond couldn't help but smile "I'm happy to hear this. I'm not leaning towards any of these choices; I don't want to give you false hope. I will do my very best and you have my word on this, and talk with my superiors about this. I can't answer anything right now but I have to say something. I'm very surprised to hear you both say this and I hope things will turn out for the good of your relationship. You two deserve this much"

Sam and Jack smiled and nod. Much tension had already left their body. They didn't expect Hammond to be this calm about the situation and was very relieved. The two officers stood in unison.

"I'll make you know when the answer comes in. Meanwhile, I suggest you two spend time with each other as much as possible. The answer might be in tomorrow" Hammond nod at them. Sam and Jack made a quick salute and left his office.

"Well, that went better than expected" Jack commented and glance at Sam. Sam nod but stayed quiet for a long time. On their way to round the corner, they bumped into Daniel and Janet.

"Hey! It's been awhile since we've last seen you two on base! How are you?" Janet said smiling.

"We're ok" Sam answered and forced a smile at her friend. Daniel glance at Janet and back at Jack and Sam, and grinned. "There's a party at Janet's house tonight. We thought you two might want to come and have some fun. Max can come, there'll only have some music and beer... I mean nothing too heavy a kid can't take..." Daniel stopped, somehow feeling completely confused. Janet smiled at him and back at Sam.

"It's tonight at 19:00Hrs, you think you two and Max can make it?" she ask hopefully.

Sam and Jack shared an interested look with each other and smiled back "Sure, we'll be there!" Sam promised.

"See ya" Jack waved and followed Sam out to her car.

They drove back to Sam's place and on the way wondered what to do before getting to Janet's party.

"What are we to do until 19:00 Hrs?" he ask as she stopped her car.

"I don't know, any suggestions?" she ask and stepped out before making her way to her front door.

"No" Jack answered quietly and stepped in her house. They both sat on the couch and stayed quiet. After awhile, Jack turned his head to look at Sam.

"You think we made the good decisions?"

"Sure we did. Having second thoughts about something?" she turned to look at him and raised her eyebrows. Jack shook his head and smiled "Not really. I hope they'll consider the first option and know that it's the best between the two. They owe us more favors than anyone else does. We did saved the planet more than once!"

"I agree. But you know those politicians. Happy is not a word in their vocabulary"

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Let's not think about this right now. Let's think of what to do today until Doc's party"

Sam was thoughtful for a moment and look back at him "Why don't we play catch with Max. He love that, then you two can do anything you want while I get some chips and snacks for tonight"

Jack smiled widely in agreement "Yeah, great! Let me get Max and we'll meet you here after!" he kissed her and quickly made his way out of the house and towards Maria's.

The woman answered and smiled when she saw Jack "Hello, back already!"

"Yep! I'm here to pick up Max!"

"Yes, of course" Steven walked to his mother and Maria told him to get Max. Minutes later, Max came running down the house and smiled when he saw Jack.

"Hey! Having a good time?" Jack ask when Max hugged him. The boy nod and smiled "Yes, we had fun. Now Steven has to go see his grand momy"

Jack look back at Maria and smiled "Thanks for taking care of him!"

"It was no problem! Bye Max"

"Bye Max!" Steven shout and waved in a childish manner. Max smiled and waved on his own before stepping beside Jack and walking towards his house.

"Momy here?" he ask as they stepped in the house.

"Yes and how'bout all three of us go play catch and eat hot-dogs today?" Max turned to look at him with wide eyes "Really?!" he gasp happily. Jack laughed and nod "Yup! Now get yourself into other clothes and let's move out!"

An hour later, they were all in the park and playing catch and eating hot-dogs. Jack had to admit, Max was quite good at that game and wondered if he would like to play hockey too. Hours passed and Sam had to make her leave from the game and go shopping for snacks and chips. Max had never been smiling so much in his life when he learned he had been invited to go at a party this very night with his mother and Jack.

After Sam had left, Jack and Max came back at her house and drank a lot of water, exhausted from their day on the playground.

"So, ya had fun, Max?" Jack ask and sat on the comfortable couch. Max nod happily and sat down next to him. Jack had a sudden idea in his mind and look back at Max.

"Do you like fishing, Max?"

The boy look at him with curious eyes and struggled "I never went fishing" he said in a disappointed tone. Jack grinned "I happen to have a great cabin by the lake where we can do fishing. Would you like to go there one day?"

Max stared at him in wonder and nod slowly "Yes, can momy come?" A mischievous smile spread across Jack's features and nod "Of course your momy can come!"

"And Star?"

"And Star" Jack laughed and smiled at the little boy. After awhile, Max turned on his seat to look at him with a curious expression.

"What is it?" Jack ask confused.

"Can I call you daddy now?"

His question took him completely off-guard and chocked on his words. He look back at Max who was still staring at him, hope filling his eyes. Jack felt his heart break at the sight of him. He couldn't help but feeling a warm positive feeling within him. The love of a child meant the world to him. Even if he wasn't his real father, Max loved him as much and Jack couldn't help but feel happy about it. Jack's smile suddenly left his face at the thought of today's conversation with Hammond. If this was to be denied, Jack couldn't be called 'dad' yet.

Reaching out for the young boy, he settled him on his knees and kissed his temple.

"Max, I'm really happy you think of me as a dad. Nothing would make me happier to be your daddy and be with you and your momy forever. But your momy and I work with each other and we have rules. The rules tell us that we can't be together. It's very complicated for a young boy of your age but I can't be your daddy right away, ok? I can spend as much time as possible with you and momy and I love you with all my heart, you know that?"

Max lowered his eyes and nod sadly "When can you be my daddy?" he ask emotionally. Jack closed his eyes tightly; never imagining it would be this hard telling a child about his situation.

"When the right time comes, Max, I'll be your daddy. Meanwhile, we can be best friends and spend time with your momy. I love the both of you very much and I can't wait to be with you two"

Max eyes started to fill with tears "I ask Santa to give me a daddy for Christmas. Then you came along..." his voice faded and he started sobbing. Jack held him tightly, his own eyes filling with tears.

"You're a strong boy, Max. I'm sorry but it has to be this way. One day I promise we can be a family and have a wonderful life all together. I love you and your momy very much and I'll make everything in my power to keep the both happy. For now, we are the closest of friends, deal?"

Max forced a smile and nod "deal" he echoed his words and kissed him on the cheek "We still can go fishing?"

Jack laughed and nod "You betcha!" he said joyfully.

Later Sam came back and found them watching TV. Max was sitting on Jack's laps, leaning against his chest and turned his head to look at her when she closed the door.

"Am I interrupting anything?" Sam ask and made her way to the kitchen, putting her couple of bags down on the counter. Max and Jack walk towards her and checked in the bags for anything good to eat.

"All this is for Doc's party tonight?" Jack ask, somehow in disbelief. Sam rolled her eyes "Of course not. I made grocery shopping while I was there. Max, don't eat anything, supper on it's way" Sam warned the boy when she saw him trying to slip away from the kitchen with a bag of chips in his hands.

They ate supper and cleaned up before Jack pulled on his coat "I'll go by my house and get dress. I'll meet you there, ok?" he said and kissed her.

"Sure! See you there!" she mumbled against his lips and kissed him back.

It took Sam and Max an hour to get themselves ready. Max didn't know what pants to put on and when he decided, he couldn't find them. They ran from one side to another throughout the house, getting ready as fast as possible.

"Max, are you ready? We gotta go!" Sam called out from the living room while pulling on her cost. Max came running out of the room, his puppy running on his heels "Coming!" he shouted happily and grabbed his vest from the couch. Sam smiled and suddenly the doorbell rang. Glancing back at her son briefly, she walked to the door and answered.

"Jack!" she sounded surprised, "hey!"

Jack smiled "Hi, I thought we could get there together?" he grinned. Sam was about to answer when Max saw him and interrupted her "Jack!" he cried joyfully and launched himself in his arms. Jack smiled "heya, buddy! Nice to see you too. Are you ready?" he ask. The boy nod, smiling widely and excited about the party they were going at. All three of them together.

"Bye Star!" Max waved at his puppy before Sam closed and locked the front door. They all walk towards Jack's pick up and got ready to leave.

When they arrived at Janet's, there was a lot more people than anticipated. Most of them were in the backyard where there was the barbecue and the food. In the house were music, drinks and other snacks.

"Wow" Max breathed, never been so excited. Sam chuckled and helped him out of the pick up. Cassie was the first to greet her like the usual.

"It's so nice to see you, Sam!" the girl hugged her tightly and smiled at her, "Where is he?" she ask, excited. There was no mistake in Sam's mind to whom she was referring.

"Max, this is a very good friend of mine and her name his Cassie. Cassie, my son Max" Max stood in front of Sam and waved shyly at Cassie "Hi"

Cassie giggled, "He's so sweet! Hello!"

Jack joined them and smiled at Cassie "Hey Cass!" he greeted, hugging the girl. "Hi, Jack! I'm happy you guys came. Janet is in the house and Daniel and Teal'c are in the backyard," Cassie informed them. She look back at Max "Do you want to see my dog?" she ask. Max's eyes lit up and nod quickly. Sam nod to Cassandra and Max left with the young girl.

"So" Jack started, looking down at her.

"I'm hungry" Sam continued and walk towards the house. Jack chuckled and shook his head before following her. Sam went in the kitchen and grabbed two beers and handed one to Jack.

"Geez! She invited the whole base?" Jack commented sarcastically after five people left the kitchen, leaving them to their own. Sam smiled "I think they work with her. Nurses and staff" she answered while taking a sip of her beer. Her eyes fell on two bowls of chips on the counter and smiled against the opening of the bottle of beer.

"With the amount of time SG-1 stays at the infirmary, I thought we'd knew everyone by now" Jack said and watched her walking towards the bowls of chips and took a sip of his beer.

"Maybe Daniel knows them" Sam joked and grabbed a chip. Jack smiled and nod his agreement. He leaned his back against the opposite counter and watched her "We just ate an hour or so ago and you look famine," he teased. Sam blushed "So! Now I'm just hungry for snacks" she grinned, taking another chip in her hand.

Jack lowered his eyes to his beer and cleared his throat "can I ask you something?" he ask seriously. Sam nod for him to continue and took a sip of her beer.

"I... I know this is not my business but... I'd like to know a little bit more about... Max's real father" he look up at Sam. Sam stopped all movement and stayed quiet for a moment. Jack shook his head quickly and approached her "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked you that"

"No, no it's ok. I guess I have to talk about him one day," Sam quietly answered. Jack shook his head "only when you feel ready, obviously you weren't prepared for this kinda question" he protested and put his bottle of beer on the counter beside her and stroke her lower arms.

"I'm ok to talk about him, really! It's just... it's been a long time since I did..."

"Take your time, there's no rush" he whispered and kissed her softly on the forehead. Sam took a deep breath and nod.

"His name is Alex Pearl, colonel Alex Pearl..." she corrected and cleared her throat "while I was under the command of his brother, we started dating and everything went well. He was very committed to our relationship and work quickly came second in his life. He started talking about retirement and starting a family. Of course I was happy he wanted to have children with me and start a family but he was in the middle of a great career and I didn't want him to throw it all away. We agreed that we would wait for the perfect time to start having children and a family. We thought we would stay together but fate tricked our future and Alex was sent on a black ops mission that resulted him disappearing for a whole year... When the Air Force came on my doorsteps and told me there was no chance for him to survive this long, I was left in depression and sadness. Him being gone changed me a lot and I was making decision without thinking, cried my eyes out at nights..." Sam's voice faded off for a few seconds, tears clouding her eyes. Jack sigh, mentally kicking himself for bringing this subject up in the middle of a party where they were suppose to have fun. He leaned towards her and kissed her on the temple. Sam took a deep breath and continued.

"Then I met Jonas. I never really knew why I ended up with him. He was the complete opposite of Alex but in my head I told myself that I might change him, change him so he can be like Alex... as idiot as I was, he had this control over me and I always felt responsible for what he did. I stayed with him for half a year before he proposed to me. Two weeks after the proposal, I... I learned... Alex was found and was in the hospital alive. I never had been so happy in my life when I saw him again. Of course Jonas knew nothing about my relationship with him. I talked to Alex until he came out of the hospital and told him about Jonas. I was ready to leave him to come back with Alex but I was scared... I was scared of Jonas so I never confronted him about me having Alex back in my life. I spent one night with Alex after his hospital departure... one night only... then he died in a car accident... later I learned I was pregnant. I knew it wasn't Jonas's child so I kept it. I had to break the engagement with Jonas because I didn't want to be pregnant around him and certainly not when he was drunk. My current CO at the time helped me with the worst part of the engagement, in case Jonas might do something to me. He finally left and I was alone to have Alex's baby. It was hard at first, but friends and co-workers helped me through it. Before, when Alex was still alive and before his black ops mission we were discussing names just for the kick of it. If we had a boy, Alex wished to name him Maxime and so I did... Alex would have been so proud to see him today" Sam broke down and started crying.

Jack pulled her in a soft embrace, his own eyes clouding with tears. Sam buried her head in his chest and cried while he stroke her back softly. "He would have also been proud ofyou. I am proud of you," he softly told her.

After a few minutes, Sam backed away and blushed "I'm sorry..." she started, brushing her tears away. Jack shook his head, never leaving her eyes for a second and cupped the side of her face "Don't be, I'm happy you told me all this" he leaned towards her and kissed her softly that quickly sent her to heaven. They broke apart but only enough for their lips to barely touch each other "I love you so much" Sam breathed, tears clouding her eyes once again. Jack smiled, deeply touched by this woman's love for him and kissed her once again in a more passionate embrace.

They quickly broke apart when they heard someone clearing her throat. They look at the entrance and saw Janet staring at them with a highly amused look in her eyes "Guys having fun?" she teased. Her smiled faded when she saw Sam with tearful eyes. She turned more serious and look at Jack "Is everything ok?" she ask concerned.

Sam and Jack shared a look with each other and smiled at her "Everything's just perfect" Jack answered. Sam grabbed her beer and a bowl of chips before being dragged out of the kitchen by Jack. Janet shook her head and smiled to herself.

***

TBC
-Tropical - Kami-

Feedbacks is sweet!!!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Tropical