Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Honestly Ok

by Tropical
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Honestly Ok

Tropical

Title: Honestly Ok
Author: Tropical
Email: charlizecarter77@Hotmail.com
Category: Romance, Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Spoilers: None I can think of
Season: 5
This story is a sequel to: How Could I
Series: Max series
Rating: PG
Content Warnings: mf relationship,
Status: Completed
Summary: Sam's son lies on his death bed with no chance of survival. How will Sam cope if she looses her son?
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's notes: I want to thanks Kami for giving me tips on this one. She gave me good tips and ideas!
Feedback is sweet!

Max was brought to the hospital quickly, he was still unconscious but breathing. Jack was with them, not ready to leave Sam in a kind of situation like this.

All along in the ambulance, Sam hold her son's hand. She stopped crying but her eyes were still watery by her previous tears.

They finally arrived at the hospital and Max was transported urgently in surgery. Jack had called Janet and informed her of the situation. Because of the importance of the situation, she didn't ask what he was doing at her house. Sam sat on a chair in the waiting room and had to fill some papers.

"hey" Jack spoke softly and sat close to her "want me to help you with those?" he asked, seeing her trembling hand keeping her from writing "please" she gave it to him and he filled the papers for her. He wrote his name beside her's, incase of any problems. He stood up and gave it to the nurse at the counter.

He walk back to Sam and encircled an arm around her waist, making her come closer to him.

"he'll be ok, right?"

Jack stayed a moment quiet and then nod slowly "of course he'll be ok. He's a Carter" Sam smiled but it didn't reach her ears. He stroke her back and kissed the top of her head "he will" he stated, sure of himself. The moment reminded him of his son's death. The waiting for the surgery, the bad news it haden't worked, the funeral.. but Max wouldn't die! couldn't die!

Suddenly, they heard several people walking in "Sam!?" came a very distressed Daniel. Janet came running towards her and hugged the life out of her "Oh God, where is he?"

"in surgery" she cried in her arms. Daniel walked towards them, also giving Sam a big hug "he'll be fine" he promised her. She nod and saw General Hammond walking in, looking very worried "how is he?" he asked and brought Sam in a father-hug "still in surgery, sir" she whispered and rubbed her eyes.

"I'll go check on him" Janet said and walked away.

"I am sorry, major Carter, he will recover I am sure" Teal'c said and surprisingly hugged her softly.

"I hope" she said softly. Hammond excused himself and went to see the nurses for more news. Sam walked back to her seat next to Jack. Daniel sat beside her and Teal'c beside him.

"are you waiting for a while?" he spoke sadly. She shook her head "no, he just got in.. surgery" Daniel nod and locked gaze with Jack. For a moment, Daniel couldn't be sure why or what he was doing here. Was he there at the time of the accident? what was he doing at Sam's? he kept running several questions and no answers in his mind.

General Hammond walked back to them, shaking his head. He had no information from Max.

"Dr Jackson, I suggest you come back at the base and call major Carter's father" Daniel nod and kissed Sam on the cheek "we'll be right back" he promised and he and Teal'c followed Hammond to his car and drove to the SGC.

Half an hour later, after what seemed like an eternity, a doctor came towards them. Almost jumping out of her chair, Sam ask anxiously how he was doing.

"the surgery was successful" he said "but he has fallen in a coma"

Sam frown "will he wake up..?" she asked, unsure.

The doctor struggled "we hope so, if he doesn't wake up here to a couple of days.. the chances might become rare. I'm sorry"

Sam stared at him and finally nod, knowing shouting at the doctor wouldn't be a good idea. Jack took her hands in his, squeezing it sadly "can we see him?" he ask.

"of course, come this way" the doctor led them in a private room where Max was lying. There was several machines monitering his heart beat, blood pressure and breathing. Jack nod at the doctor and he left. Sam walked slowly to her son, his face was pale and his eyes were closed peacefully. Jack walked behind her and look at Max.

Tears started filling her eyes once again "he have to make it" she whispered. Jack nod and encircled her waist from behind and drew her back against his chest "he will, Sam, he will" he said in her ears and they watched Max breathing slowly.

Jacob finally arived at the SGC and everyone went at the hospital. Jacob asked for Sam and they informed them of some news and the room number. When Jacob walked in, he noticed Jack sitting on a chair beside Max's bed with Sam sitting on his laps, her head buried in his shoulder "hey, your dad is here" Jack whispered to her, looking in her sad eyes when she looked up.

"dad" Jack let her go and Sam hugged her father tightly "he's in a coma"

"baby Maxie will be fine, sweetie. You have to believe that he will" she nod and drew away from him and look at Max. Her dad kissed her on her forehead and went to Max's bedside. Jack stood and walked to the bedside also, watching the young boy trapped between life and death itself. He couldn't believe it how fragile and adorable he looked. He wished he got to know him more.

"are you going home tonight?" Jacob ask Sam. She shook her head quickly "no, I'm staying here" her voice was trembling but sure of herself. Jack took her hand again "you want me to stay with you?" she nod and buried her face in his chest, crying again. He stroke her back again, kissed the top of her head and drew her closer to him "ok" he said and didn't look at Jacob. He knew they were in trouble but he really wasn't about to let her go, never. She needed him and he needed her. They'll go through everything *together*

Daniel, Janet, Teal'c and Hammond came in and stopped when they saw several monitors around Max. Then they saw Jack, Sam and Jacob.

"visitors can stay here for a few minutes, then they have to leave" Janet warned and walked towards Max's bed, checking the monitors.

"how is he, Janet?" Daniel asked her sadly. Janet turned to look at him "he's stable but he's in a coma. We have to wait for a couple days and if he doesn't wake up... " Daniel nod, understanding what she was trying to say.

Hours passed and night soon started to show. Everyone started preparing to leave and said bye to Sam who sat on a chair.

"listen, Sam, if you ever need anything you just call me" Daniel said and kissed her softly on the cheek and then stepped away. Teal'c bow his head "I wish your son well"

"we will visite you soon, Sam. Take care" Hammond nod at her and joined Teal'c and Daniel.

Sam smiled and watch her father kneel down in front of her "I have to go with the Tok'ra tonight, I'll try and visite you and Max tomorrow, ok?" Sam nod. She wasn't crying anymore but still felt very sad.

"thank you" she said soflty. Jacob smiled and look at Jack "you look after her, ok?"

Jack smiled and nod "always" Jacob nod and look back to his daugther "I love you" he kissed her on the forehead and left with Daniel, Teal'c and Hammond.

"Jack is staying with her?" Daniel ask Janet, very surprised.

"apparently so"

"I definitely missed a beat somewhere.. weren't they mad at each other? Jack was being a pain almost all week and now he's all relaxed and with Sam"

"yeah, they look closer too, maybe he was there when Max had the accident. They didn't spoke a word about it though, the only thing I heard was the man who hit Max got arrested because he was drinking and driving"

Daniel shook his head "people like this doesn't deserve to have a car" Janet nod in agreement. From behind, Jacob and Hammond shared an interesting look with each other. They heard their conversation and had a pretty good idea *how* close they've become.

"we need to talk" Jacob told him "yes we do, Jacob, we do"

It was almost 19:00 when Jack started to be hungry. They haven't ate all day and he knew Sam was also getting hungry. She was sitting on the edge of Max's bed and was stroking his face softly and told him one of his favorite stories. Janet told them that they could talk to Max and he could hear, so Sam started reciting his favorite stories.

He leaned back in his chair and look at her carefully. Her voice was soft has she told him the story. She didn't give up hope and that was a good thing, she was strong and hopefully, Max was too. The heart monitor was beeping loudly in the room, at a regular beat. He finally stood and made his way to her.

"hey, come on, let's get something to eat and then we'll come back" he said.

Sam looked unsure about leaving Max's bedside. Seeing her struggle, he took her hand in his and pulled her up to her feet "you have to eat something. You'll do Max no good if you get yourself sick" she nod softly and they left the room. He still held her hand and she didn't protest. They hadn't got the time to talk about what was going on between them and certainly not about the kiss they had shared before the accident.

They walked slowly to the hospital's commissary and sat down on a separate table from the others. They ate a sandwich with a pepsi.

"hey" Jack started, taking her attention. She look up at him "you're strong you know that!"

Sam hesitated and lowered her gaze back down to her hands resting on the table. He lifted her chin with his hand, forcing her to look at him "you are and I'm proud of you"

Sam smiled sadly and more confident "thank you" she said. Jack smiled and stood up "come on, let's see your boy"

"ok"

They walk side by side towards the room 527 where laid Max. They walked in and stopped at the end of his bed.

"I miss him so much"

"talk to him, Doc said he can hear" Sam shook her head "I can't..."

"of course you can, I'm sure you have plenty of good stories to tell him" he said sincerely.

"it's hard" she whispered. He walk up to her and encircled her waist firmly "angel, I know it's hard but you have to help him go through this. I'll be with you all along, ok? I love you"

Sam snapped her head to look at him and stared at him in disbelief "you.. you.. what?"

Jack had to laugh and repeated "I love you, angel, and I'll stay with you for as long as forever. Regulations or not, you're stuck with me"

Sam smiled widely, the first smile since Max's accident " I.. I love you too" she whispered. He smiled and leaned down to kiss her softly on the lips. 'This was right' he thought 'being with her was making everything go right' Sam raised her hands and encircled his neck as he pulled her closer with his arms around her waist. She felt his tongue teasing her lips, wanting an entrance and she gladly accepted. The kiss turned out to be more and more passionate and it was now difficult to stop. Finally, they had to brake off the kiss to breathe.

"wow" Jack breathed, making Sam giggle.

"yeah, wow indeed"

"you sound like Teal'c" he teased and Sam slapped him playfully on his chest "hey" she protest even if she was laughing "but you are prettier" he finished and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

Sam smiled and rested her head on his chest and looked at Max. She was going to wait for the time where he'll wake up, if he wakes up. But Sam wasn't thinking about the consequences but as long as Jack would be by her side, it will be alright.

The rest of the night passed and there was still no changes on Max's health. Sam was more sad than ever and everyone else tried to help her get through this.

Jacob sighed and walked out of the Max's room and towards Daniel, Teal'c and Hammond "she's getting depressive. The only person who can comfort her is Jack"

Hammond nod, not surprised that it was him but a bit mad for not thinking she was still his 2IC and it was still against regulations. He nod in understanding "huh excuse me?" Daniel started, taking everyone's attention.

"can we, huh.." he look around him, looking if there weren't anyone close and continued "the healing device, can you use it on Max?"

Jacob struggled "I don't.."

"Jacob, with respect it *is* the only way to keep your grand-son from dying" Hammond insisted.

"very well, but we must be sure that no one sees us.. I will see what I can do" Hammond smiled and drive him to the SGC. Daniel and Teal'c walked in Max's room and towards Sam.

"Sam? we need to talk to you"

Sam look up from Max's face and to Daniel "what?" she asked, weakly.

"we.. we may have a way to help Max"

Sam's eyes widen "what?! how!" Daniel put his finger on his lips, mentionning her to be more quiet. She understood and repeated "how, Daniel?"

"the healing device.. your dad will try to heal him" Sam had a smile on her face.

"thank you Daniel" she hugged Daniel very tightly, making him starting to plead for air. Sam smiled happily and let him go "I hope this will work" Daniel nod, happy to have made her smile.

"of course it will" came Jack's answer "come here" he pulled out his hand to her which she gladly accepted and pulled her on his laps "told ya he'd be ok" he whispered. Sam got lost in his eyes and nod weakly "I shouldn't have doubted you.." her voice faded as their lips met.

Daniel and Teal'c shared a very surprised look and smiled.. well Daniel did, Teal'c just cornered his lips a little bit.

"sorry, Daniel" came Sam's embarrassed reply. Daniel look back at her and shook his head "hey, don't worry. Your secret's safe with us. Congrats, guys, it took you long enough but you made it"

"thanks, Daniel" Daniel look at Jack and their eyes met. Daniel couldn't believe it, this was the man who was snapping at everyone, was a pain for the past few weeks and now he was her lover. Daniel smiled and nod "no problem, Jack, I'll see you guys later" they nod and watched Teal'c and Daniel leave.

"I can't believe it" Sam said happilly and look back to Jack.

He smiled back at her "me neither, angel, life can't get any better than this" Sam's face fell suddenly, taking Jack's attention "baby, what's wrong?"

"we.. we'll get in trouble, aren't we" she look back to him, her eyes started to get wattery again.

"hey, baby, don't cry. No, I'll take full responsibility, you don't have to worry about nothing" he reassured her but she shook her head "you can't take full responsibility, Jack, you'll get court martialled. I want my share of responsibility too, I can't let you go through all this alone"

Jack nod and stroke her face with his hand "ok, then, we'll see Hammond once Max is alright"

"ok" she whispered, letting the touch of his hand comforting her. He smiled and pulled her against his chest and stroke the side of her waist and back.

The sound of the door opening made Sam and Jack wake up immediatly. They saw Jacob and Hammond walking in the room with a bag in Jacob's hands.

"we have the... you know what" Jacob said quietly and smiled at Sam.

"I will wait outside the room" Hammond said and left.

"ok, Sam, I need you to unplug every monitors around him" Sam started to get concerned "but dad, he'll die without them" Jacob shook his head "not if I'm quick enough" he look back to Sam once he had the healing device in his hand "please Sam, it's the only way"

Jack nod to Sam and helped her unplug all the monitors around Max. Jacob quickly put himself at his bedside and started activating the healing device. At first he couldn't make it work and Sam tensed.

"come on" Jack whispered, taking Sam's hand in his.

Jacob frowned when he finally activated the healing device. A few minutes later, they heard a small voice.

"momy?"

Sam dashed towards her son and took him in her arms "hey, baby, how are you feeling?" she asked, tears of joy running down her cheeks.

"my head hurt, momy"

"it's ok, it will go away" she pulled back and stared into his blue eyes.

"momy, why you crying?"

"because I'm very happy to see you"

Suddenly, Janet walked in the room and smiled when she saw Max awake "it worked! I can't believe it" she smiled and hugged Sam and smiled at Max. Daniel and Teal'c came in the room, followed by Hammond.

"welcome back, Max" they chorused and the boy giggled. The doctor quickly came in the room and Jacob just had the time to hide the healing device in his bag before he could see it.

"this is a miracle" he breathed and examined Max "when did he wake up?" he turned to look at everyone in the room "just a few minutes ago, doc" Jack said, grinning at the doctor.

"thank you doctor Jones for your help" Sam shook hands with him and then Janet did "it was a pleasure working with you doctor Jones"

"when can Max leave the hospital, doc?" Jack ask the doctor before he could leave the room.

"well, we need to make sure there ins't anything else wrong..." Jack raised his eyebrows and stared at him. The doctor gave up "I must admit that I never saw someone coming out of a coma this healthy and I am very surprised by this.. miracle. We'll keep him overnight and maybe tomorrow he will be capable of returning home"

"thank you" Sam smiled at him then he left the room. She turned to look at her father "we couldn't have done it wihout you, thank you" he hugged her tightly and shook his head "nah, don't worry Sam. It was my pleasure"

***

TBC

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Tropical