Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Max 5: Alone in the Universe

by Tropical
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Max 5: Alone in the Universe

Max 5: Alone in the Universe

by Tropical

Title: Max 5: Alone in the Universe
Author: Tropical
Email: autumngirl300@hotmail.com
Category: Action/Adventure, Romance, Series
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: minor language
Summary: It's Sam's first day back to work. Will everything go as planned?
Sequel to: Fate had found its way
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Max 5: Alone in the Universe

A week passed since Sam and Jack were no longer seeing each other. Max was still angry at Sam, it was obvious whenever he would talk to her or sometimes even ignore her. She decided it was still too soon to talk to him about why Jack had to leave, but sometimes it felt like it just might make everything easier.

Sam received another phone call from Hammond, asking her when she would be available to work again. The thought of leaving Max scared her a little but on the other hand, space was something they both needed. She answered she was ready for Monday. Tomorrow.

Now Sam sat alone in her living room watching the television while Max was in the bathtub. The lights were off, making it easier for her to feel she wasn't absolutely alone. She haven't spoken to Max about her return to work the following day, in fact, she wasn't sure she even wanted to return to work. On the other hand, she couldn't help but remember all the beautiful planets that laid out there, and all the adventures she and her team had been through.

"Mommy, I'm finished!" Sam jumped when she heard Max shout from his bedroom. Sam stood, closed the television and walked to his room before stopping in the entrance. All his clothes were scattered across the floor.

"What happened here?" she gasped, eyeing him carefully.

Max lowered his head to hide his blush, "I couldn't find my clothes" he admitted shyly.

"Next time let me know so I can help you. It would have saved some really big mess" she winked, helping him to bed.

"Max, I need to tell you something" she started, playing with the edge of his blanket.

"Mommy has to go back to work tomorrow. You're going to stay with Maria for the day, ok?"

"Ok..." Max whispered, lowering his eyes to his hands before meeting hers again, "Can we eat pizza?" he asked hopefully. Sam laughed "We'll see about that tomorrow" she smiled.

"Now go to bed, you'll have a big day tomorrow"

"Good night!" Max yawned, kissing his mother before closing his eyes. Sam stood and closed the lights before shutting the door behind her. She too would have to go to bed, she didn't want to be tired for her first day back to work.

Pulling on her own PJs, she slid between the cold sheets and rested her head against her pillow. She would have been comfortable if someone else would be here, sharing her bed. Sam quickly closed her eyes, keeping all the unwanted thoughts away. It was going to be difficult enough to see him tomorrow, and every other day as matter of fact, she didn't need to think of him now. Taking a deep breath, she allowed herself to relax and fell asleep.

It was only the next morning that Sam started to feel nervous. Max was up in time and ready to go to Maria's as planned. He was finishing his breakfast when Sam exited the bathroom, dressed in BDUs, and closing all the windows and locking the back door.

"Are you ready, sweetie?"

"Yes" her son answered quietly, moving by the door and waiting for her. Sam grabbed her car keys and her identification badge before leading Max outside.

"Ok, now you be a good boy today, ok?" Sam knelt at Max's height and smiled. Her son nodded and kissed her on the cheek before running across the front yard to his neighbour's door. Waving one last time, Max disappeared in the house. Hurriedly, Sam seated herself behind the wheel and started the engine.

She was ten minutes late.

Walking out of the elevator leading to the briefing room, Sam slowed down and took a deep breath before walking in.

"Major, nice of you to join us" Hammond straightened in his chair, nodding once in her direction.

"Sorry, sir" Sam blushed and walked slowly to her usual seat. Beside Jack. They hadn't met sight yet and Sam didn't know whether she wanted to or not.

Jack, on the other hand, wished she'd at least look his way. He felt terribly lonely spending his days alone in his house after spending so much time with her and her son. Seeing she wasn't going to look at him, Jack glanced back to his commanding officer and sighed.

"Ok, now that everyone's here, let's start, shall we?" Hammond smiled and nodded at Daniel to start his presentation of their next mission.

"P4X 6TR is quite a normal planet, sir. Habited by a small village and surrounded by trees, we're positive that there's no danger whatsoever. The village isn't very advanced in technology, but I'm sure we can learn about them if we meet face to face"

"Are you sure this planet is safe, Doctor Jackson?" Hammond asked again. Sam felt herself tense a little. The thought of encountering danger made her think of Max. She looked at Daniel, paling a little but waiting for his positive answer.

"I'm pretty sure, sir. We gathered images from both the MALP and the UAV and nothing appeared out of normal. In fact, two of the villagers will greet us by the stargate"

"Good, SG-1 be ready in 10. Oh and major Carter?" Hammond glanced at Sam, "Doctor Frasier would like to see you in her office right away"

"Yes, sir"

"Dismiss" Hammond stood before gathering his papers and walking to his office. Daniel and Teal'c used their free time to welcome Sam back to work.

"It's so good to see you back, Sam. You look great!" Daniel beamed, hugging her softly before stepping back. Teal'c took a step forward and bowed softly, "I concur with Daniel Jackson. Welcome back, major Carter"

Sam blushed from all the attention and waved them bye as they walked out of the room. She turned around to grab her own papers when she came face to face with Jack.

"Sir" she managed.

"Carter" he echoed. "Welcome back" he finished, feeling as uncomfortable as she felt.

"Thank you, sir" she smiled. She took her notes and they walked out of the briefing room.

"How's Max?" Jack asked out of the blue, not meeting her eyes.

"He's better, sir" she spoke softly before adding, "He misses you"

Jack stopped walking and faced her. This was the same woman he cuddled up against a few weeks ago, the same woman he kissed and made love to. The woman he loved and loved him back. How ironic was it that now it was forbidden to even touch her?

"Same here... same here" he forced a smile before walking towards the locker room. Sam sighed and made her way to the infirmary. The room was quiet and there was no signs of Janet anywhere. Making her way in, she smiled to several nurses before arriving by Janet's office.

"Janet?"

The little doctor glanced away from her work and glared to her friend, "Where were you? You were suppose to be here before the briefing, not after!" she spoke sarcastically.

"Sorry about that, I was really late for the briefing too"

Janet sighed and closed the file she was reading before stepping out of her office.

"I'm not sure I can let you go on the mission, Sam. You know medical procedure; You haven't been in the SGC for over a month, I need to make a full health report"

Sam froze, "You're kidding, right? Janet, I've been staying too far from the stargate as it is and this mission really seems to be quite easy and peaceful. I feel fine as I have during the last couple of weeks. If not, I would have told you!" Sam almost pleaded.

Janet groaned softly, ready to take a blood sample.

"I'll let you go this time, but I still have to run some tests on you before you go. You'll get your results as soon as you're back"

Sam smiled in relief and waited for Janet to finish her blood samples. After a few other tests that didn't last very long, Sam was relieved from the infirmary and to the locker room.

Lucky for her, the locker room was completely empty. It's been too long since she last done all this and, frankly, she missed everything. She decided it would be wiser to be ready in time before getting a lecture from General Hammond.

As SG-1 gathered in the Gate Room, the event horizon burst through the stargate, being one of the most beautiful thing Sam has ever seen. Hearing Hammond wishing them luck, SG-1 stepped through the blue liquid before stepping out on P4X 6TR.

Two men stood silently by the Gate, waiting for their arrival. Once eyeing each member of the team, they shared a few words in a language that was still unknown to Daniel.

"Hey!" Jack beamed in his usual way whenever meeting new villagers, "I'm colonel Jack O'Neill, and this is my team; major Sam Carter, Doctor Daniel Jackson and Teal'c"

The first man stepped forward and bowed respectfully to the team, "Welcome to Galadria, strangers. I am Eshen and this is my brother, Kayan"

"Hello, nice to meet you" Daniel smiled and bowed in return. Jack just smiled before stepping back beside Carter and Teal'c, leaving Daniel to do his job.

Eshen wasn't much of a talker. During their trip back to the village, Daniel practically had to fish the words out of the boy's mouth. Kayan, on the other hand, had seemed to develop an interest for the major, much to Jack's displeasure. Unlike his brother, he hadn't stopped talking for the rest of the walk.

SG-1 were led to an old stone building where was performed all meetings concerning Galadria. The villagers gathered in the streets, murmuring to those close to them, about the new strangers that came through the Stargate.

"Your planet is quite well taken cared of for a non-advanced race" Daniel commented out loud.

"Yes, we have allies that has helped us immensely during the last decades" Kayan explained.

"Oh really? What kind of allies?" Jack frowned.

"We are not allowed to speak his name. It is forbidden" Eshen cut in a little too harshly. Jack and Sam shared a concerned look before following the men in the building.

Before Sam could follow her teammates through, an old woman standing by the entrance pulled her away from the others. Sam didn't had time to protest when the woman softly hissed, "May Gaia protect you, May Gaia protect you!"

Sam frowned but the woman just ran away as fast as she could.

"Carter, you're coming?" Jack stood in the entrance. Sam nodded, wondering what had just happened, before following her CO back inside.

"What was that all about?" he whispered as they joined the rest of his team seated around a round wooden table.

"I don't know"

"What is the purpose of your visit on Galadria?" Eshen started, interrupting their conversation.

"We come from a planet called Earth. We're here simply because we want to share our knowledge with yours"

"Knowledge of what?" Kayan eyed Daniel suspiciously.

"Of everything we know; weapons, medical skills, Goau'lds. We can share technology with you"

"You are the ones called the Tau'ri, are you not?"

Jack glanced at Eshen, a little surprised to hear such comment coming from him, "Don't call us that" he replied sarcastically. Eshen raised an eyebrow as if challenging him.

"If you're not interested..." Jack started, getting more annoyed with each passing minutes.

"I'm sure you can provide us great information" Kayan interrupted before things went too far.

"Good, that's good" Daniel smiled in relief, glaring at Jack for his previous attitude.

"How much do you know about the Goau'lds?" Kayan demanded softly, sitting back in his wooden chair.

"They're evil, have snakes in their heads and doesn't have any clothing style" Jack winked, receiving a glare from Daniel. Sam lowered her head, hiding her smile.

"The goau'lds are very powerful and must be destroyed" Teal'c answered, taking everyone's attention.

"The Goau'lds are too powerful to be destroyed" Kayan protested.

"Not if you hang with us" Jack smiled.

"Colonel O'Neill, have you found a way of destroying these powerful Gods?" Eshen gasped.

"False Gods" Teal'c corrected.

"Well, we do have our secrets..." Jack trailed off.

"But about you? Do you have anything worth trading?" Sam ask, leaning forward.

"As we earlier said, we are not advanced in technology as you are with yours" Kayan pointed to their guns. "Yet perhaps we might be able to show you some medical skills we have developed over the years. It's makes us immune to certain diseases. It might be something you all would be interested in"

Sam and Daniel smiled to each other and nodded their heads in agreement.

"But first, you must be hungry" Eshen smiled, "Eat and drink, for this is a new step for a possible future alliance" Kayan clapped his hands and two young girls appeared in the room, holding plates of food and drinks.

Jack studied the food carefully before taking a piece of what looked like bread. He was about to ask Daniel for his opinion when he found him chewing already.

"It's good" he said with a mouthful of food. Jack glared at him before taking a bite of his own piece. Daniel was right, it tasted pretty good. He raised his eyes to Kayan and Eshen, both smiling, before taking a sip of his glass of water.

"So, Daniel Jackson, how long have you been working with the Stargate?" Eshen started, pulling a seat in front of him. Daniel cleared his throat and drank a little water, refreshing him from the wave of heat he was currently having, before telling him about his work.

Jack unzipped his coat, turning his head to look at Teal'c next to him.

"Is it only me or is it hot in here for a sudden?"

"I believe it is you, O'Neill"

Jack grimaced while taking off his coat. It had become very hot here and Jack knew there was something wrong but couldn't concentrate on the problem.

Meanwhile, Kayan pulled Sam away from the others and sat further away. Sam seemed flushed, whether it was because of the heat or the man's eyes staring at her.

"It's nice of you to share your knowledge with us. We can learn a lot from each other, I'm sure" She started, smiling.

"I concur, Major Carter. You possess many hidden talents that will help me and my people"

Sam frowned and tilted her head slightly, "Hidden talents?" she questioned. It was Kayan's turn to frown worriedly before asking, "Are you feeling well, major Carter?"

Sam closed her eyes for a few seconds, keeping her head from spinning so fast. What was wrong with her? Why couldn't she concentrate?

Sam's thoughts went immediately back to her late appointment with Janet and her results. Maybe something was wrong with her; there was no reasons for her to feel like this.

"As I was saying... " Kayan continued, casually taking a piece of tissue in his hands. "We need as much information as possible if we want to obtain technology. And when you arrived on our planet, you have no idea how much hope you brought to our people..." he raised his head, staring at her in the eyes and smiled, " ...the knowledge of the Tok'ra" he finished and grabbed her head before pushing the piece of tissue against her mouth, taking her without warning.

Sam fought back and kicked him in the stomach before yelling out, "Colonel!"

Jack lifted his head and looked around but his vision had become blurry. He frowned to himself, trying to determine whether he heard his name or it simply was his imagination playing tricks on him.

Teal'c, on the other hand, bounced to his feet and ran to Sam. Daniel, no better than Jack, stopped talking and stared at Eshen strangely.

"Major Carter!" Teal'c shouted as he reached for Kayan's collar, when his body tensed as an electric shock ran furiously through his body. Gasping for air, Teal'c let go of Kayan's collar and fell on the ground, unconscious. Eshen stood by his feet, holding Daniel's zat gun. Sam stared at Teal'c's body on the floor before glancing to her commanding officer and Daniel further ahead. Both were also lying on the floor, unconscious.

Sam was about to speak when Eshen hit her on the back of the head with the zat gun.

Kayan smiled and once again with a clap of his hands, called his guards to gather around them.

"Get rid of them!" He ordered harshly, "Leave the woman. Her knowledge of the Tok'ra will be most valuable for our next trade with our God" he smiled and watched as the rest of SG-1 were being dragged away.

Hammond walked in the infirmary in search of doctor Frasier. It's been two hours since colonel O'Neill, Daniel and Teal'c were thrown out of the stargate, unconscious. Hammond had been quite agitated when there was no sign of major Carter. He was even more frustrated when he couldn't do nothing about it. He couldn't make a decision until he knew what happened back on the planet, and with SG-1 out, there was no way of knowing.

Janet was standing by Daniel's bedside, eyes fixed on his chart. Hearing footsteps, she raised her head only to make eye-contact with a very worried Base Commander.

"Any progress, doctor?"

Janet struggled, "They're asleep for the moment, sir. I received their tests results and we found out they've been drugged..." she trailed off, putting down Daniel's chart.

"Any news from major Carter?" she ask softly.

"None whatsoever. We can't do anything until one of them can tell us what happened"

"I know, sir" Janet whispered.

Sam opened her eyes slowly, wondering what happened. She was sitting on the ground in a very dark room. Her heart skipped a beat when she noticed none of her teammates were with her. She stood quickly, wincing as her headache resurfaced.

"Colonel?" she called out, trying to adjust her eyes to the darkness. She was alone in a very dark room. What had happened? Had something bad happened to her teammates? Her heart filled with worry at the thought of how helpless she was as long as she was being kept here.

The door suddenly opened, sending flashes of light in the room. Sam quickly turned her head away from the light that blinded her.

"Major Carter, you are awake"

Sam glanced back to the man standing in the entrance and immediately recognized him as Kayan.

"Where are my teammates?" she demanded. Kayan chuckled and shook his head, "No longer among us, I'm afraid. You were our goal; delivering you to our God will bring my people and I great fortune"

Sam stared at him blankly, was he saying her team was dead or simply no longer on the planet? She paled again.

"You can't deliver me in any way! I'm a person, not a product!" she shouted, pushing her way to her feet, wincing in pain as she did so. Kayan smiled once again and shook his head, looking amused.

"You possess information that our God requires. If we can give him this information, he will grant my people great fortune and technology"

Before Sam could speak, Eshen appeared in the entrance.

"Brother, our God has arrived!" he informed, breathless as if he'd been running. Kayan glanced back to Sam and bowed curtly before leaving, and closing the door behind them.

Their God? What kind of God was he? Goau'ld?

"But I have a son waiting for me home!" she cried out as loud as she could, but knew they didn't care the least about her son nor herself.

Sam glanced around her one last time before dropping back in the corner. What if the SGC couldn't find her? What would happen to Max? Sam closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around herself. This was turning out to be the worst day of her life. Maybe she would never see Max again. She worked an unusual job that required to leave all family members on another planet far away. And because of this, she might never see him again. Ever.

Her eyes watered as she buried her head in her folded arms.

Kayan and Eshen proudly stood next to each other while a huge ship slowly landed on the grass further up ahead. The door opened and a tall man surrounded by guards made his way to them.

"Kayan and Eshen! What have you found that was so valuable to trade?" the man spoke harshly.

"Lord Ve'ir, we have captured something that is far beyond anything you'd ever imagine" Kayan smiled and lifted his hand, indicating the way to the cell where Sam was being kept.

"Please come and let us show you what gift we have to offer"

Lord Ve'ir bowed and followed the brothers to the cell.

Sam froze when she heard footsteps approaching. The door was being unlocked and finally, pushed open. Kayan and Eshen walked in, followed by another man. Sam felt no presence of Goau'ld; this man was simply a normal man like the rest of them. But who was he? Why haven't the SGC or the Tok'ra heard from him? And obviously he was no God.

"She possesses the memories of a Tok'ra" Eshen proudly informed to Lord Ve'ir. The Lord took several steps forward and demanded her to rise to her feet. Sam obeyed, having no intention to anger a man twice her size. His eyes studied her carefully from head to toe, making Sam more angry by the minute.

"I am surprised that you of all people had captured such a valuable trade" Ve'ir spoke to the men standing in the entrance. The brothers smiled to themselves.

"We vowed to find something worth trading for, my Lord" Eshen bowed.

"Indeed" Ve'ir breathed.

"You sick bastard!" Sam yelled before receiving a blow across the face, sending her flying against the wall and onto the ground.

Ve'ir turned back to now two nervous brothers standing by the entrance and nodded, "I will trade for this woman. Bring her to my ship!" he ordered his guards and led Kayan and Eshen out of the cell.

Sam, still too weak from the hit, had no strength left to fight the guards pulling her upright and to Ve'ir's ship.

"What shall be our reward?" asked Eshen while watching Sam being taken into Ve'ir's ship.

"I will send you your reward soon" spoke Ve'ir, "With such a capture, your reward will be of a great fortune"

Eshen and Kayan smiled to each other and nodded to Ve'ir.

"Now I must leave. I have duties to attend"

"Very well, sir. We shall wait for your reward, my Lord" Kayan bowed and watched Ve'ir walk back in his ship. The brothers stood away from the ship as it made its way in the sky, sending strong winds to the surroundings.

Jack snapped his eyes open and coughed violently for a few seconds before sighing and adjusting his eyes to his surroundings.

"Colonel, you're awake!"

Jack saw Janet making her way to his bedside and checked his temperature and noting the progress in his chart.

"How are you feeling, sir?"

"what happened?" Jack groaned, pulling his hand to his head.

"We'll give you pain killers for the headache, sir" Janet promised, putting down his chart.

"Alexia, could you please let General Hammond know that Colonel O'Neill is now awake" the young nurse nodded to Janet and left the infirmary at once.

Jack glanced around him and found himself alone in the infirmary.

"Where's the rest of my team?" he ask worriedly.

"Teal'c and Doctor Jackson are both awake and fine, sir"

"Teal'c and Daniel? What about Carter?!" he demanded.

"Jack, you're awake!" Daniel entered the room, closely followed by Teal'c and Hammond.

"Apparently I am!" Jack snapped, sitting upright in his bed, ignoring Janet's protest.

"Is there something wrong, colonel?" Hammond glanced at Janet for an explanation.

"Can someone care to let me know where the hell is Carter?" Jack's patience was reaching its limits.

"Colonel, calm down!" Hammond ordered and Daniel spoke.

"Sam didn't came through the stargate with us. We have no memories of what happened. From what Janet gathered, we appeared to have been drugged" Daniel quickly explained.

"Drugged?" Jack echoed in disbelief.

"You and the rest of your team were thrown out of the stargate about four hours ago. Still no signs of major Carter so far" Janet continued.

"We were hoping you'd remember something" Daniel finished.

Jack was thoughtful for a minute. As much as he tried, nothing came to mind. His worries for Sam was the only thing he could think about. He needed to find her and bring her back home.

Seeing it led to nothing, Hammond cleared his throat and sighed, "It's alright, colonel. Don't blame yourself for what happened. SG-2 and 5 are ready to leave on my command"

"Sir, request permission to join them!" Jack demanded, getting ready to jump out of bed and into his BDUs. Janet quickly stopped him before his feet touched the ground.

"Sorry, colonel, but it's not going to happen. I'm sorry, but you've just woke up from being unconscious for over four hours. I can't let you go through the stargate"

"There's not a chance in Hell I'm staying here and wait!" he argued loudly.

"Colonel, doctor Frasier is right. You're not strong enough to face whatever is beyond this Gate. Doctor Jackson and Teal'c will join SG-2 and keep you updated" Hammond softly ordered, knowing how hard it might be for not only a commanding officer to loose a team mate but for a man who just lost the woman he loved.

Jack deeply sighed and abruptly laid back in his infirmary bed. He wasn't pleased with the decision at all but couldn't argue with the fact that he wasn't feeling one hundred percent strong at the moment. And feeling weak was not going to help Sam in whatever situation she was in.

"Let me know how things turn out" he breathed, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"Don't worry, Jack. We'll bring her back" Daniel promised and left the infirmary, followed by Teal'c. Janet left Jack's bedside, leaving Hammond and his second in command alone for a minute or two.

"Colonel, I know this must be very hard for you but you're in no position to help major Carter in any way. There'll be two teams send out for her. They'll find her and bring her back home"

"sir, she has a son waiting for her home. He lost his father long ago and loosing his mother is definitely not an option!"

"And I understand that. Calm down and rest, we'll find her, Jack" Hammond smiled sadly before leaving the infirmary. Jack stared at him leaving and sighed again.

Rest was definitely not coming.

Sam was brought in the ship's main entrance where Ve'ir spent his time looking out from the main, huge window standing in front of him. The ship looked nothing like a Mother Ship. The decorations were warm and inviting, unlike Goau'ld ships that were mainly equipped for battle.

The guards dropped her on the glassy floor before leaving the room. Sam coughed several times before pushing herself to her feet. The ship suddenly started to shake, indicating her that it was taking off. Fear hit her full speed as she ran to the window and watched as the ground below her slowly grew smaller.

"Oh no" she breathed as she saw Kayan and his brother walk away.

"Welcome aboard my ship, major Carter" came a voice behind her. Sam jumped and abruptly turned around to see Ve'ir standing near his usual seat.

"Who are you?" Sam demanded, staying as far away from him as possible. Ve'ir sat down comfortable in his chair before answering her question.

"I am Ve'ir. I collect information for my Gods. They reward us with that we want" he smiled, waving his hands around his ship.

"You're working for Goau'lds?"

"I am not in liberty to say anything to a prisoner" he warned.

Sam frowned, "I'm not a prisoner. I've been kidnapped and given to you! You have no rights to keep me here!"

"Your knowledge is most important to us therefore we cannot let you go. But fear not, as long as you cooperate, we shall hurt neither one of you" Ve'ir promised and took a sip of a drink that rested on a small table beside him.

Sam frowned and took a couple of steps forward.

"Neither one of us? There's someone else here?"

Ve'ir shook his head patiently before laying back in his chair, putting down the glass from which he had been drinking from.

"There is only you, major Carter, you and your unborn child aboard this ship"

TBC

If you enjoyed this story,please send feedback to Tropical