Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Max 6: Out of Reach

by Tropical
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Max 6: Out of Reach

Max 6: Out of Reach

by Tropical

Title: Max 6: Out of Reach
Author: Tropical
Email: autumngirl300@hotmail.com
Category: Angst, Drama, Romance, Series
Season: Season 5
Pairing: none, Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Summary: Jack and the SGC tries to find Sam with little success.
Sequel to: Max 5: Alone in the Universe
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Max 6: Out of Reach

Daniel and Teal'c were among SG-2 and 5 waiting in the Gate Room for the Stargate to find its seventh chevron. Hammond entered the room and joined them by the end of the ramp.

"Is Jack still upset, sir?" Daniel ask, putting on his cap.

"I'm afraid so, and I believe he will for as long as major Carter is not found" Hammond sighed, glancing at the now established event horizon. He turned around to face the rest of his men going on the rescue mission and nodded, "Bring her home, soldiers. And the best of luck to all of you"

The men answered the General with a respectful salute before Major Coburn, commander of SG-2, yelled out a go. Hammond shared a brief smile with Daniel and Teal'c, before watching them disappear through the event horizon.

Sam was brought in another cell, much cleaner than the one Kayan and his brother locked her in. At least there was a bed with decent and warm covers. Perhaps if she hadn't been pregnant, he would have sent her in a more 'dirty' cell where the rest of the ordinary 'prisoners' were kept.

Sam sat on the edge of the bed, Ve'ir's words still echoing endlessly in her head. Was she really pregnant? How would he have known? Surely she would have... would she? Sam closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down. Despite the situation, she found herself smiling. If he was right, then no doubt in her mind who the father was. The smile quickly faded when she came back to reality; back to where she currently sat, on a ship far away from home, far away from her son and far away from the man she loved and the father of her possible unborn child.

Sam quickly brushed away the tears before lying back on the bed and burying her face in the pillow. The sound of the door sliding open took her attention. She lifted her head from the pillow and saw a woman walking in, carrying a tray.

"Who are you?" Sam ask, pushing herself to a sitting position and, with the end of her shirt, wiped her tears away. The girl entered silently and closed the door behind her before walking to the bed. She put down the golden tray that carried food and raised her eyes to hers.

"Eat", she smiled, "You and your unborn child needs strength"

Sam frowned and glanced down to the food she was being given, before reaching for something she couldn't figure out what it was. They seemed concerned about the welfare of the child, so surely they wouldn't give her food that would endanger its health.

"Thank you" Sam mumbled, keeping her eyes fixed on the woman as she ate. She was the average height, 5'4". She had curly black hair and amazing blue eyes. It was hard giving her an age, since she didn't talk much.

"Do you work for Ve'ir?" Sam decided to at least try to make a conversation. Eating while someone was staring at you wasn't the best way to relax. The girl tilted her head and smiled, "No, I do not work for him. He is my father. I work with him"

Sam stopped chewing and stared at her in disbelief. Talk about a family of lunatics, she thought.
She swallowed her food and questioned her again, "Why is your... 'father', do all this? Why is he kidnapping people like me?"

The girl seemed slightly uncomfortable but managed to keep herself together. She smiled again, always as sweetly, before replying, "I am not allowed to talk about it, but since you are one of your own, I think you can understand"

"One of my own?" Sam questioned her, forgetting about the tray and the food.

"Yes, you are a mother. You see, my mother was taking a few years ago by a, what my father calls it, a goau'ld. I am not in liberty to say his name, but he had taken her because... because she suited him as a perfect wife" she finished sadly.

"I'm sorry to hear that..." Sam trailed off. The girl blushed slightly, "I am sorry. My name is Marielle"

"Marielle" Sam nodded with a smile, "But, what does kidnapping people has to do with your mother?"

"My father made an arrangement with the goau'ld that took my mother. The goau'ld required information in return, and when he will have everything he demanded for, he will release my mother and we shall be, once again, free to live all of us together again" she smiled.

Sam stared at the girl carefully; she was definitely not older than 20, but very intelligent for her age. She sighed before breaking in a smile again, "Marielle, I don't know if you or your father knows the Goau'lds very much, but I don't think he will release your mother after you give him all the information he demands. I worked many years fighting against them and not once have they held their promise"

Marielle took a step backwards, looking shocked, "What are you saying? He is a liar and will never return my mother?" she gasped.

"Pretty much all goau'lds are liars and should be treated as so. You can never trust a goau'ld, ever"

Marielle kept eye-contact with Sam for a few seconds before breaking in tears and running towards the doors. Sam quickly stood up, "Wait! I didn't mean..." Marielle already left before Sam could even finish her sentence. Sighing, she sat back down on the bed and pulled the tray next to her.

SG-2 and 5 followed Daniel and Teal'c to the building where SG-1 had been previously brought to. The villagers hid in their houses as the soldiers marched through the village. Some spied through
their windows, while others kept their doors ajar to see what would happen next.

Once by the doorstep of the building, Daniel and Teal'c stepped aside to leave Coburn and his men burst in, weapons in hand.

The room was deserted and quiet, and cleaned from the mess SG-1 had earlier made. There was no sign of either Kayan or Eshen.

"Doctor Jackson, Teal'c, you two stay here!" the Major ordered while waving to his team to follow him down several other hallways. Daniel turned to Teal'c and sighed, "Do you think they left?", he ask.

"I do not believe so, Daniel Jackson. I doubt they would leave their people behind"

"They're able to kidnap Sam, I don't think leaving their people behind is such a big problem for them", Daniel argued. Teal'c quickly raised his hand, cutting Daniel before he could say another word. Staring at his hand, Daniel glanced to Teal'c with a puzzled expression. Slowly, Teal'c raised his zat gun and marched toward the nearest door on their left. Daniel, still ignoring to why Teal'c was behaving this way, took out his 9mm just in case. With a swing of his arm, Teal'c opened the door, revealing Kayan and Eshen hiding in what looked like a closet.

"Oh my God" Daniel breathed and made his way next to Teal'c before raising his weapon, "Where's Sam?" he demanded.

A paling Eshen raised his hands in defeat and shook his head, "Don't hurt us! We only did this for the good of our people!"

"Get out!" Daniel ordered, waving his gun while Teal'c grabbed Kayan's collar, pulling him out by force. The men stood quietly in the middle of the room, trembling with fear.

"Where is Major Carter?" Teal'c asked again.

"She is no longer among us!" Kayan said. Daniel frowned, "What do you mean she's no longer among us? Did you kill her?" his heart skipped a beat at the possibility that she may be dead.

"No! We could never do such a thing!" Eshen gasped, "We've given her to our Lord... she left with him!"

"And who is this Lord of yours?" Teal'c raised an eyebrow.

"We do not speak of him" Eshen breathed, shaking his head softly. Teal'c raised his zat gun and fired once. Kayan cried out in horror as he watched his brother fall on the ground, his body jerking as electricity ran through him.

"He's not dead" Daniel told Kayan, "But he will be the next time Teal'c pulls the trigger"

"You cannot kill him!"

"You kidnapped our friend!" Daniel yelled back. "What gave you the right to do that!?"

Kayan didn't answer but simply lowered his eyes to the ground. Daniel snapped his radio from his chest pocket and contacted Major Coburn. If Sam was taken onto a ship, then God only knew where she could be by now. They needed to learn about their Lord, and the only way they were to obtain this information, was to bring them back on Earth.

The door slammed opened, making Sam jumped in surprise. She immediately stood from her bed and stepped backward to the wall. Ve'ir walked angrily into the room and ordered his guard to close the door behind him.

"What have you said to my daughter?" he demanded loudly. "What have you done to make my daughter cry?" he shouted. Sam winced and moved once again away from him.

"I haven't said or done anything. All I did was inform her about the risks of dealing with the goau'lds!" Sam argued, trying to pull her ground.

"You know nothing of the Goau'lds!" he spat, turning around to the door.

"That's where you're wrong!" Sam shouted, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I've been fighting the Goau'lds for almost six years now and one thing I've come to understand, was to never trust one!"

Ve'ir stopped and turned around to face her, "With who have you been fighting? The Tok'ra?"

"No, I'm part of a team... a team called SG-1. I'm from a planet called Earth... but the Tok'ra are one of our allies... if that's what you meant" Sam finished breathlessly, making her way back to her bed.

"But the Goau'lds are powerful, they cannot be defeated"

"And they can be... how should I say this... stupid, sometimes" Sam forced a smile. Ve'ir answered her with a puzzled look.

"My team and I have been fighting the Goau'lds a long time now. We know a lot of things about them that most of the universe doesn't. That was the main reason why my team and I gated on Galadria. It was to form an alliance between our planets in case something bad would happen"

"The one that has taken my wife... he is a powerful goau'ld..." he spoke sadly and quickly looked away. Sam stood from her seat and made her way to him slowly.

"Maybe..." she started, stopping before him, "If you let me go... my people and I can help you get your wife back"

Ve'ir quickly took a step backward and stared at her in disbelief, "Do you take me for a fool?" he gasped "I will never trust a prisoner!"

"A prisoner? I'm no prisoner!" Sam protested, "I'm the enemy of your enemy... therefore, we are allies"

Ve'ir spoke no more and headed back towards the door. With a hard knock, the door opened and Ve'ir turned around to look at Sam one last time before walking away. Sam sighed and looked around before making her way back to her bed.

This was going to be a long day.

Jack hurried himself to the Gate Room as soon as he heard SG-2 and 5 were coming back. As the door of the Gate Room slid open, he saw General Hammond already standing by the ramp. He turned his face to look at him before glancing back to the Stargate. Taking a deep breath, Jack marched next to his commanding officer and waited.

Daniel and Teal'c were the first to step out of the stargate, slowly followed by the rest of the team... and the two brothers. Jack paled and stared at Daniel and Teal'c walking towards him.

"Where is she? What happened?" he demanded.

"Major Carter is no longer on P4X 6TR, O'Neill" Teal'c replied.

"Where is she then!?"

"Apparently she's on a ship... somewhere in the universe" Daniel finished, watching as the two brothers were being led to their holding cell. Jack frowned in confusion and glanced to Kayan and Eshen.

"De-briefing in ten minutes people!" Hammond ordered and walked away. Things were not going well, especially for Jack. The colonel followed Teal'c and Daniel to the lockers, anxious to know more.

Sam was pulled out of her sleep by someone walking in her cell. She tiredly pushed herself in a sitting position and saw Marielle making her way towards her.

"Sorry to disturb your sleep, Major Carter, but my father wishes to speak with you. He has invited you for the morning meal"

Sam took that has in breakfast and stood from her bed. She wondered if her earlier 'speech' was the reason for this invitation. She made no remarks and followed Marielle out of the room.

"Marielle, I'm sorry about earlier" Sam started, but Marielle simply smiled and stopped in front of a large, grey door. The door slid open and Sam saw Ve'ir sitting by the table, cup of water in hand, smiling at them.

"Please, come forth and make yourself comfortable!" he announced. Sam shared a puzzled look with Marielle, but the girl simply marched past her and towards her seat next to her father.

"Why am I here exactly?" Sam eyed Lord Ve'ir under a suspicious eye. The man only smiled and waved a seat on the opposite side of his daughter.

"Please sit so we can discuss your proposition"

Sam carefully sat down and glanced to Ve'ir, "What about it?"

Ve'ir shared a smile with his daughter before proudly announcing, "We have accepted your proposition!"

"You'll return me home?" Sam breathed with hope.

"No, I'm afraid. In order to know what you say about your team and your planet is true, we will have to keep you aboard this ship until my wife returns"

Sam paled quickly, "But... I can't stay that long! I assure you that people from my planet will accompany you and fight side by side with you but I can't go!"

"And why not?" Marielle questioned.

"Because I already have a son at home and as you earlier said... I'm pregnant. A pregnant woman should not be in the middle of a battle" Sam reasoned.

"Do not worry, my men will protect you. But under no circumstances should you leave this ship! I am allowing your people to help us, but you shall be free only if my wife returns" Ve'ir warned. Sam was thoughtful for a moment. This may be her only way to be in contact with Earth again and once back with her team, they could all figure something out.

"Ok, I accept" she announced, not as thrilled as the Lord but pleased to think she may see her team again.

"Good, you will give Earth's coordinates to me after the morning meal"

Sam looked at the food lying in front of her and began eating. Finally she was given a decent meal.

The de-briefing was long and revealed nothing new to SG-1. Major Coburn told his side of the story, soon followed by Daniel and Teal'c. Hammond had later ordered a separate interrogation with Kayan and Eshen. After Hammond dismissed everyone, he called Jack to stay behind. The colonel faced his commanding officer and his eyes rested on the doctor sitting quietly, her eyes studying the file she held tightly in her hands.

"Sir?" Jack questioned, sitting back down.

"Colonel, doctor Fraiser discovered something about Major Carter" Hammond started and nodded to the doctor to continue.

"We didn't know when we should have told you this, sir, but I assure you that if I had known I wouldn't have sent her through the Stargate this morning"

"What are you talking about?"

"Sir, Major Carter's test results just came back an hour ago and... well, sir, the major is pregnant"

Jack's world stopped spinning as everything stood motionless around him. One word rang in his mind. She was pregnant. She was out there, in the hands of a madman... and she was pregnant.

"Jack, are you alright?" Hammond ask his second in command with concern.

"Colonel?" Janet was about to stand but Jack waved his hand, stopping her quickly.

"Sir, permission to assist the interrogation"

"Jack..."

"General"

Jack didn't want to talk about Sam's pregnancy. He was still in the process of getting the idea in his head. General Hammond and Janet didn't push the subject any further; the important thing was that now he knew the situation was getting more and more delicate to handle.

Janet felt partly responsible for this mess, although she couldn't have done anything to prevent Sam's kidnapping. Maybe she shouldn't have sent Sam through the Stargate that day, so long after being absent from work. But she didn't know something like this could come up. All she could do now, was hope that Sam would be safely returned home.

Hammond granted Jack's request to assist the interrogation. That was the least he could do for his second in command. He couldn't blame him for how he felt following this kind of revelation. No doubt in his mind he was the father of this child. And he knew better than raise this issue with him now. Things had to be done, and that was to get Major Carter back.

Jack made his way to where the interrogation was being held.

Kayan sat nervously but quietly in a chair in the middle of the room. Several guards and Teal'c surrounded him, making sure he wouldn't try to escape. Daniel reserved a seat for Jack, knowing well enough he wouldn't miss this for the world. Jack sat down and watched as Daniel stood to start questioning the man.

"Back on Galadria, you said she was no longer on your planet. Where is she?"

"Our Lord has taken her aboard his ship"

"And what is your Lord's name?"

"I am not allowed to say"

"Why not?"

"Because it is against our law. We do not speak of him during his absence"

"How was she when she left? Was she wounded in any way?"

"No, I assure you she was being taken cared of"

"How do you know that your Lord will take good care of her?"

"Once she has left Galadria, she is no longer our matter"

Jack closed his eyes, trying to keep himself to place. God knew what damage he could do to this man if his anger was let loose. He rose from his seat and slowly marched towards Kayan. Daniel glanced worriedly to Teal'c, wondering if Jack would do something he'd later regret.

"Let me ask you something..." Jack trailed off, keeping his voice under control. "How much did you know about her?"

"She has the memories of the Tok'ra" Kayan replied.

"And that's all? All you know about her is some damn memories?"

"That is all we need to offer to our Lord"

"But you didn't know she has a son waiting for her at home, do you? You don't know how important she is to all of us, now don't you?" Jack's voice began to rise.

Kayan was speechless and shook his head.

"And you didn't know that she was pregnant either, didn't you!?"

"I did not know..." the man whispered.

"Yeah, you didn't know" Jack echoed sarcastically, "You didn't know a lot of things about her, but you kidnapped her anyways!"

"I am sorry..." Kayan started but Jack cut him off.

"You're sorry? You're looking at the man who just lost the woman he loved because of you and you're sorry? If anything at all happens to her... You and your brother are in for a ride" he finished and stalked out of the room.

Daniel and Teal'c as everyone else in the room, stood speechless. Kayan looked more guilty than ever. It was obvious that he and his brother hadn't thought of everything before sending Sam in the hands of whoever the man was. And Sam being pregnant just added up to their worries.

After the morning meal, Sam was led to a new room where she had to spend the few remaining days until they reached Earth. The room was cozy, not exactly like her bedroom or even her quarters back at the SGC, but something she was satisfied with until her team-mates would get here. At least the bed was comfortable and dressed with warm blankets. That was all she really cared about.

She spent the following hours alone, thinking about everyone she missed. It had become a ritual of hers ever since she got separated from her team. How was Max? Was the rest of her team alright? Were they searching for her? Had they lost hope? Sam prayed that they didn't.

Lord Ve'ir informed her they would arrive to Earth in a couple of days. Two days seemed forever to her. She had no one to talk to, and spent her days alone in her room, worrying and worrying some more. She started getting more and more dizzy with each passing minutes. Marielle came to help her when she could but not everyday. Sam had never felt so lonely in her life.

For the last hour, Sam's mind drifted to different names for the baby she was carrying. Was it going to be a boy or a girl? That intrigued her more and more. At least she had something to smile about.

Jack sat in the Locker room, head in his hands and deep in his thoughts. The door opened and Daniel appeared in the entrance. Jack hadn't moved at all or said anything. Daniel decided to enter and sat down quietly beside his friend.

"Jack..."

"He can't stay alone" Jack cut him off.

"Who can't stay alone?"

"Max"

Daniel stayed quiet. It was not the place for him to do the talking.

"I'm going to get him for the night. Make something up about his mother... " he trailed off.

"Jack, I know how hard this is for you, but we're going to find her"

"What makes you so damn sure, Daniel? Did Kayan admitted anything? Or maybe his freaking brother?"

"No" Daniel breathed, lowering his head.

"So for all we know, she could be on the other side of the universe by now!"

"All I'm saying, Jack, don't give up for her sake. She needs you on this"

"She's pregnant" Jack started.

"I know..."

"When we were together... I was kind of suspecting something was going on with her. She was pale and often ate more than the usual but nothing to make me think she would have been pregnant. And here I am, to be a father again, separated from the woman I love and the mother of my unborn child. And the only thing I can think of is, will I ever see her again?"

Daniel was unable to express how sad he felt. He hoped one of the brothers would crack and tell them something useful, giving them the opportunity to track down the man that took Sam away from them.

Jack glanced down to his watch and glanced to Daniel quietly sitting beside him, "We better get to the second interrogation. After that, I'll have to leave and get Max"

He stood and silently exited the Locker Room before Daniel had any chance to form a reply.

-End of Part 6-

-Tropical-

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Tropical