Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

As One Door Closes.(Another One Opens)

by JennyLouise
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As One Door Closes.(Another One Opens)

As One Door Closes.(Another One Opens)

by JennyLouise

Title: As One Door Closes.(Another One Opens)
Author: JennyLouise
Email: jennylouise123@aol.com
Category: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Summary: You can't have comfort without pain as Sam and Jack find out.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Incoming Traveller!'

'Sir, it's SG1's signal'.

'Open the Iris'

Just as the iris had barely touched the sides of the gate Jack and Sam came crashing through the gate, landing as they so often did, with a crash.

Hammond's voice sounded over the tannoy as Dr Frasier hurried to meet them at the gate 'Colonel O'Neil, Major Carter, is everything all right?'

'Flipping Marvellous' groaned Jack wryly as he pulled himself up, whilst Carter, already on her feet walked towards Dr Frasier silently.

'What was that Colonel?' asked General Hammond staring down at Jack with one eyebrow raised.

'I was just saying we were both fine Sir, fabulous' said Jack through gritted teeth when he, on standing, realised that the drips falling from his head unfortunately weren't sweat.

'Absolutely fabulous'

Then I suggest Colonel that you and Major Carter get yourselves checked by Dr Frasier and we will debrief at 1700 hours.

'Sir I'm....'

'Dr Frasier Colonel' replied Hammond walking away.

'Come on Sir, red is so not your colour' called Dr Frasier with just a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

Jack walked towards Janet, and looked up at Sam who was standing patiently by the door rubbing her shoulder.

'You all right Major?' he asked.

'Yes, fine Sir' she replied in a non-committal, toneless voice that he had come to expect lately. In the last year the distance between them had grown. He wasn't exactly sure what had happened, but they had both taken a step back. Maybe not consciously, but in the last 12 months or so they had both realised that getting things out in the open didn't automatically solve all their problems, it in some ways made it harder. Well, getting things out in the open is perhaps too strong a term. He wasn't sure what Sam felt these days. They weren't as close anymore, but it wasn't as if they fought either, it was sometimes just more a case of nothingness between them. There were still moments when he could look at her and know instantly what she was thinking ...but others, he didn't have a clue. I guess he just tried not to look anymore. Their unspoken pact to put distance between themselves may have seemed like the easiest option in the long run, but he hoped that the distance wasn't so great that he could no longer reach her...especially after Daniel, and well everything...

Jack was brought back to reality by the bright light shining into his eyes. He groaned and looked away...what exactly was in his eyes that was so revealing? Actually, quite a lot at that second, a voice in the back of his head whispered. Jack however ignoring it quipped 'So Doc are you going to fix my head, or do I have to do everything myself'.

As Sam and Jack left the debriefing room later that evening both of them wondered what exactly they were going to do for the next three weeks that Hammond had put them on down time. Work had been both of their answers to dealing with Daniel's death...having time to think didn't really appeal to either of them right now.

'Night Carter' he called as the corridor split and they made their way to their respective rooms.

'Night Sir' she called back but at the last second turned and smiled a smile that Jack hadn't seen for a while. Yes it was laced with tiredness and he could still see the pain in her eyes, but it was something.

He was glad they were starting to get closer again, as as much as he wouldn't admit it, even to himself he needed her. Now more than ever. She was his emotional link, his light when he lost his way and his friend. Losing Daniel and his friendship made him realise that he needed Sam's, and hopefully they were back on track again.

At 5.00am the next morning Jack was pilling clothes into a bag...damn why didn't clothes come already folded he thought to himself wryly as he grabbed yet another creased shirt. Oh well, no one was going to see him at the cabin anyway. Well, he had contemplated asking Carter, but after she had turned him down in favour of work last time he didn't think she'd be in a hurry to say yes this time either. He smiled slightly at the memory of the playful look on her face when she informed him that working in her lab was fun!

He grabbed his bag and headed to the canteen to get some much needed soggy porridge, burnt bacon and blue jell-o before heading off. Whistling as he went, happy at the thought of the cabin and catching some fish (well maybe catching some fish). Grabbing his food he turned and was more than a little surprised to see Sam sitting alone at one of the may deserted tables, staring into a somewhat suspect cup of coffee....at least he thought it was coffee!

'Carter, your up early...don't tell me you've discovered the meaning of life'. He looked at her a little tentatively, not sure how she'd respond.

She looked at him tiredly 'Not yet Sir, still working on it...I can build a particle generator though if that helps' she added as an afterthought smiling at him. 'So what gets you up this early? She said glancing at his bag.

'I'm going fishing for a while ...your welcome to come he added after a pause, not sure whether or not to suggest it. 'Just think of it' he carried on, 'sun, clean air, fish (well sort of) and most of all good coffee' he said staring at her cup with a grimace.

Sam looked at the coffee and to Jack, confusion etched all over her face, it was clear she was fighting an inward battle. 'Well I um, errr...'

'Carter' he said with a grin, 'for someone who understands astro physics this is not a hard question.

'To fish or not to fish Carter, that is the question'

'Shakespeare Sir?' Sam said laughing, 'how can I refuse, I'll just go grab a bag whilst you get a coffee', Seeing the look on his face she replied 'well maybe not...I'll only be five'.

The atmosphere during the drive up to the cabin reflected their strained relationship of the last year. Conversation came in spurts, but when it did it flowed naturally and freely, until one or both of them backed off and there was a somewhat awkward silence.

With emotions from recent events so close to the surface for both of them, neither of them was able to locate that safe middle ground, that had before come so easily.

On seeing the cabin, even Sam had to admit that she was glad she came. It was so tranquil, both of them realising at exactly the same moment was what they needed. Quite time to really think and work out what they felt about everything, especially Daniel. They had both been so pre-occupied with trying not to think, that they were unable to acknowledge that this what they really needed.

Grabbing their bags from his car Jack handed Sam hers and reached in his pocket for the key.

'Thank you Sir' said Sam in a business like voice that made Jack involuntarily flinch. Brushing it off he opened the door crying 'honey I'm home' which rather than making Sam smile as he'd hoped, her face fell and she quickly made her excuses and went in search of her room.

Dammit thought Jack, just when he thought they were on track he lost her again. Neither of them seemed sure of each other...Sam kept drawing back from him and he was still hiding behind the quips and the jokes. He wished he knew how she felt these days, hell he wished he knew how he felt!

Jack too disappeared into his room to change and shower. He emerged an hour later to start on dinner and was just beginning to wonder if Sam was ever going to appear again, when there she was. Dressed in casual clothes, bare foot and hair slightly damp and tousled. Seeing her standing there without a warning truly took his breath away, she looked calmer and more relaxed than she had in months. He had to take a deep breath before he could even speak. What was happening to him?

'I'm making Pasta for dinner Carter, is that all right with you?'

'Yes Sir' she replied...then as an afterthought 'you can cook?' she said smiling. 'Of course' he replied laughing... 'as long as it's pasta'!

'Is there anything I can do' Carter asked.

'You can set the table - it's almost done'

Smiling Sam reached in front of him, pausing for a fraction of a second to long before grabbing the plates and heading for the outside table, quietly looking up at the stars.

Jack, watching her from inside knew what she was doing. He grabbed the food and went to join her, 'your thinking about Daniel aren't you?' He said looking directly into her eyes for what felt like the first time all year.

She held his gaze and nodded smiling somewhat sadly. 'I miss him but...she trailed off. 'But when you look up at the stars it's almost as if you're looking at him' Jack finished for her.

'Yes' she replied a little startled that he'd been able to read her so well, It had been a while since they'd been that close...

'This is looks lovely' she said once more avoiding his gaze, 'lets eat'.

The next few days faded into each other, sometimes they would be so close that Jack thought Sam had got into his head. Others they barely spoke except to exchange pleasantries. Jack was so confused he didn't know what to feel. He knew he cared about Sam, a lot more than he was supposed to given their position... but for the last year the most important thing seemed to be to block it out and get on with work. He knew he couldn't get too close to Sam because he really wasn't sure he could control his feelings so he backed as far away as he could. But now, he couldn't push it away anymore. She took his breath away and he realised he'd really missed her. 'You love her' a voice in his head whispered, but did he? Was all this happening because of losing Daniel, from nearly dying himself...was this merely an emotional reaction, his need to be close to someone? Or was what he was feeling real? He wished he knew...it didn't help that he still didn't know how she felt!

Jack spent most of the next day deep in thought, barely noticing what was going on around him...though if he had he wouldn't have noticed Sam's gazes lasted a little longer than they should have and were laced with gentle concern.

That evening Jack going to get a drink before bed noticed Sam outside sitting on the dock with her feet dangling in the water. At that moment all confusion was gone, he realised watching her sitting under the moonlight that he was completely in love with her...that's why he needed her so much, that's why he pushed her away...he really loved her! She took his breath away. But how did she feel... he knew she had feelings for him but did she still... and what point was there in it anyway, he knew they weren't allowed to be together. Jack believed that this was one rule that was meant to be broken - but did Sam...she stood to risk the most! He could barely take his eyes off her as he stood silently watching her in the kitchen, not realising Sam could see his reflection in the water. The look on his face spoke a thousand words and at that moment Sam had never been so sure about anything. She slowly got up and turned around startling Jack who realised she could see him. Jack quickly made his way out of the kitchen and was just nearing his room when she called

'Jack'

He froze like a rabbit caught in headlights but didn't turn around, couldn't turn around. She slowly walked up to him put her arms around his waist and kissed his neck. 'Jack' she whispered into his ear.

This time Jack turned around and looked into her eyes still not quite sure, searching for answers. Sam answered all his questions at once. She stepped into his arms and kissed him lightly her hand stroking his face. Leaving them both in no doubt that this was what they both wanted. They had both chosen to walk through this door, and they both wanted to see where it led!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to JennyLouise