Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

First Meeting

by Queen Annae
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
First Meeting

First Meeting

by Queen Annae

Title: First Meeting
Author: Queen Annae
Email: QueenAn_nae@hotmail.com
Category: Series
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: PG
Warnings: adult themes
Summary: This is the prequel to "They Never Talked About It" and "How Do I Help."
Has Jack met his match?
Sequel to: How Do I Help
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Captain Jack O'Neill looked at the lieutenant standing next to him and then back to his CO. "With all due respect, sir."

The lieutenant stood straight and tall. She hadn't said a word. She had no intention of saying anything unless she was asked. Being a lieutenant she didn't think anyone would ask her much of anything. She wasn't happy about this assignment. It wasn't like she objected to working with O'Neill even though he had a reputation for being a pain in the ass. Of course, that was when he wasn't running his people into the ground. Something else she knew was that he asked nothing more of his people than he did of himself. Now that was something she could respect.

"And what do you think of spending an undefined amount of time as my wife?"

She turned towards him and took in a breath. "I think the idea sucks, sir."

Colonel Richards stifled a laugh. Oh yeah, he thought. Colonel Callahan, her commanding officer, had been right. She was the perfect one to send with O'Neill.

O'Neill never missed a beat, never showed a reaction. Someday she knew, assuming she wasn't thrown out of the Air Force, she'd be just as good as he was at hiding reactions.

"Would you care to elaborate on that comment?" O'Neill asked.

Their eyes met, hers steel blue and his chocolate brown and for an instant they communicated on a level that neither understood.

"No sir." She answered.

"Would you care to tell us why?" The Colonel asked.

"I don't believe that either of you would consider my reason valid, sirs." She turned back to face his CO. She hoped he didn't pursue this. Even if she got out of this assignment, there was always the chance that down the line that she'd have O'Neill as a CO. It never hurt to leave a few bridges intact. She'd burned enough of them lately.

The Colonel was more than willing to let it go. O'Neill was not.

"I'm a big boy lieutenant. I can take it."

"Permission to speak freely about a superior officer, sir." The Colonel knew this was dangerous territory but if this mission was going to work O'Neill should know what she thought about him.

"Granted."

"We're too much alike, sir. Neither the Captain nor I have the common sense to come out of the rain at times. We are both hot headed and goal oriented to the exclusion of procedures, decorum or anything else that might come in the way of getting the job done. At least one person on this mission needs to be..." She searched for the word.

"...Focused on the big picture." It was O'Neill that finished her thought.

"That'll work."

"Well, thank you lieutenant for that analysis." He looked at O'Neill who stood there. "I still think that the two of you can make this work. O'Neill has the background and you know the area and the locals.

O'Neill raised an eyebrow as he looked at the Colonel.

"The lieutenant was raised in the area. She knows people and places that might make this assignment easier."

O'Neill had to agree, no he didn't but he was going to, that having a local would make the mission settle in faster. She knew the lay of the land, local hangouts. If they got into trouble she'd have people she could trust to go to for help. It could be worse. I mean, she wasn't all that bad looking for an older woman.

He chastised himself. Older woman, what...maybe five years at the most. He knew she hadn't come straight into the Air Force. Her file showed that she'd done some time in college before enlisting. Her GPA showed that she didn't drop out because she couldn't do the work so did her Air Force aptitude test.

"It's my opinion that the fact that you are both forthright with your opinions and pains in the ass will make you a perfect couple. If anyone can mimic having been married for a few years, you two should. Dismissed."

As they left the Colonel's office and headed down the hall he stopped. She realized that he wasn't beside her and turned to look at him. He caught up with her. It could have been worse. He could have been paired with any of a dozen women on the base that he'd dated. That would have been awkward. This would be all business. She was all business. "Well, I think that went well." He said.

"Ya think?" She retorted, then added, "sir."

He chuckled and smiled.

Damn that man she thought. Damn that smile. She knew his reputation. He'd smile and flash those deep brown eyes and the women melted. Well, not this woman. This was all about a mission and getting the job done.

"I guess we need to set up a mission briefing, Mrs. O'Neill."

She seemed startled to hear him call her that. She recovered quickly. "Yes...I guess we'd better. I hope no one here finds out that I'm Mrs. O'Neill."

"Why? Ruin your reputation for being untouchable?" He regretted saying it as soon as it left his mouth.

She tensed and he could feel another wall going up between them.

"I'm sorry. There was no call for me saying that."

"No sir. There wasn't." Her voice seemed almost fragile.

He'd hit a very raw nerve and did regret it. "I guess I'd be the last guy you'd end up married to considering my reputation."

"You have a reputation, sir?" He saw a flicker of light in her eyes and the beginning of a smile. They'd be all right. If she could forgive him that easily, they'd be all right.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Queen Annae