Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Hopeless

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hopeless

Hopeless

by pz

Summary: Sam gets a new man in her life, but sometimes no matter how much you want something, it just doesn't happen.
Category: Hurt/Comfort
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/other, UST
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/23/03

HOPELESS

Sam gets a new boyfriend and the team adjusts.

Sam / Other, a little Sam / Jack (implied), mainly a team thing.

Feedback please!

`Deep space radar telemetry' repeated Sam to the man sat opposite her.

`Mmm. Really! How interesting' he replied with a twinkle in his eye, `and all this happens inside a mountain that has guards that would shoot you on the spot if you so much as looked at them with the wrong expression?'

`That's right' said Sam firmly.

The man shook his head, but then lifting his glass he looked straight into her eyes and smiled indulgently.

`Sam, what ever you do is your business. But how will I know when we're able to see each other?' he asked.

`I'll phone when I can' promised Sam and he nodded before reaching over and taking her hand in his.

`Please do, Sam. I would really like to see you again' he said, the smile fading to be replaced by a heated gaze, `I think it would be an awful shame to let what we have go to waste' .

Sam felt warmed by his look and she blushed. He noticed her pink cheeks and leaning over he brushed her face with his hand gently.

`Brad, don't you think that our lives are so full with our respective careers that it's going to be difficult for us?' said Sam a little sadly.

`I'm willing to give it a try if you are. Something's are just worth the effort' said Brad, flashing his eyebrows and making Sam smile.

`Well! Tell all, come on Sam' said Doctor Janet Fraiser, closing the door of her office and leaning against it.

`Janet!' said Sam, fidgeting awkwardly.

`Sam! It's not everyday in this job that one of us gets even a little social life. Come on, how long has it been that you've had a date with anyone? In fact how long since you even talked to someone outside this damned mountain who also happened to be on this planet?' asked Janet pointedly.

Sam Carter flopped down into the petite doctor's chair and stretched out her long legs in front of her.

`Longer than I care to admit' said Sam, running one hand through her short blond hair.

`Correct!' said Janet triumphantly, `Now, split. And I want all the juicy details'.

Sam laughed shyly.

`Well, he's nice' said Sam.

`Nice!! I hear the guy's a Richard Dean Anderson look-alike!' said Janet indignantly.

`All right, Janet. He's tall, good looking, intelligent and really, really understanding' said Sam.

Janet had moved from her place, blocking the doorway and was leaning across her desk, her chin resting on one hand. She sighed expressively.

`And he's a lawyer?' she asked dreamily.

`Yes. Family division' said Sam.

`Rich?' asked Janet.

`Janet!!'

`Is he or isn't he?' asked Janet.

`He has a nice house, a nice, very large house, and a Porsche and a villa in Bermuda' said Sam.

`Has he got any available friends?' asked Janet cheekily.

`Lots!' said Sam.

`Now, full description please, and spare nothing. If the guy's got a mole in a secret place, I want to know about it!' said Janet.

`Well, he's six three, slim, but broad shoulders. He's got dark blondish hair that kind of curls a little round his ears. His chin has a little scar that runs across the bottom corner, but it's kinda cute. He got it skiing. Oh, did I mention that he is a fantastic skier. He's got blue eyes, the longest eyelashes you've ever seen and he's well tanned.'

`Ohmigod!!' sighed Janet.

`Janet! Looks and money are not the most important things' said Sam firmly.

`No, but they sure help. And don't you like having it all for a change? asked Janet.

`But do you think it's even possible for us to have any kind of relationship with someone outside the mountain? There aren't many guys who will accept the kind of conditions that any relationship with one of us would involve. Who will put up with the hours that we work. Who wants a relationship with someone who just doesn't turn up a lot of the time because they've been involved in a fire fight with some unfriendly aliens. It's not like we can even tell them what we're doing. After a tough day you can't even talk it over with your partner, you just have to smile and bottle it all up.'

`Sam, just take what you can get. It's some dates with a nice guy who talks about something other than the Goa'uld or the Tok'ra. Leave it at that for now. Enjoy yourself' said Janet.

`You know what Janet? You're right' said Sam, then after a moment's hesitation, 'What do you think the guys are going to say?'

`I think that your life is your own and I don't think that it's any of their business' said Janet carefully.

`Yeah. You're right, but they are the closest thing to a family that I can imagine and what they think is important to me' said Sam steadily.

`So who's for pizza?' asked Colonel Jack O'Neill nonchalantly as SG1 strode down the slope from the stargate, 'T?'

`Yes, O'Neill. I believe that a pizza would be enjoyable' said the burly Jaffa as he handed his staff weapon over to a waiting airman.

`Daniel, Carter?' asked Jack, stopping at the bottom of the slope and turning to look at the other members of his team quizzically.

`Sure Jack, why not' said Daniel casually.

`Sorry, sir. Not tonight' said Sam self consciously, fiddling with her weapons instead of looking at her CO.

Jack frowned and pursed his lips in a sulk.

`And the reason for that would be?' asked Jack pointedly.

`I have a date, sir' said Sam quietly, looking up at him.

She saw his eyes narrow for a moment.

`Good! Good for you, Carter. Have a nice time' he said, suddenly serious. He turned away abruptly and headed for the locker room. Sam bit her lip thoughtfully as she watched him go.

`Is there any chance of you getting the weekend off?' asked Brad hopefully.

Sam frowned, 'Well, I am due some leave. I could ask my CO'.

`It would be so great to show you my place. You'll love it Sam, I just know you will. At this time of the year the bougainvillea will be in full flower. It just takes your breath away. We could take the boat out and do some fishing.' said Brad.

Sam smiled at his enthusiasm remembering all the times she turned down the opportunity to go fishing with Colonel O`Neill.

`It sounds lovely' she said, enthusiastically.

`It is' he said, looking straight into her eyes, `but in the meantime, what about a dance, Major Carter?' He stood in front of her, offering his hand, a small smile playing about his lips.

She took his hand.

`I'd love to' she said softly, standing up and following him as he led her onto the small dance floor. She enjoyed the feeling of his arms as they curled protectively around her waist. With a soft sigh, she let her head fall onto his shoulder and closing her eyes she let the music flow over as she swayed in time with the slow beat.

`So, who's the guy?' asked Jack almost offhandedly, taking a quick drink of beer from the chilled bottle standing on the table in front of him.

`What guy?' asked Daniel dimly.

`Carter's guy'.

`Oh, him. The rumour mill has it that he's the catch of the year. Rich lawyer type. Flash car, great house, place in Bermuda! Janet says he's pretty keen on Sam too' said Daniel, leaning forward conspiratorially.

`Oh!' muttered Jack, screwing up his face as he considered that information.

`I think it's great that Sam's got something going outside this mountain. For the last five years we've all lived and breathed it twenty four seven. At least I had Sha're and you were married, Jack, you`ve experienced what it`s like. Sam's not really had anything outside the mountain'.

`What about that Hanson guy, she did have a life before she came here' said Jack, frowning.

`I don't think that that qualifies, do you? He wasn't exactly love's young dream' said Daniel pointedly.

`There was Marty, and the Tolan, oh and that glowy guy that built his own little stargate' argued Jack.

`Martouf's relationship was with Jolinar, not Sam' said Daniel.

`I concur. Although Major Carter obviously liked Martouf, it was the Tok'ra's relationship to Jolinar that controlled her feelings. I also believe that The Tolan, Nareem's feeling were not reciprocated to the same degree' said Teal'c solemnly.

`Humph' said Jack, looking down at his hands, which were fiddling with his napkin.

`And Jack, I don't see why we should object to Sam's good luck in meeting this guy. She's a great person and she deserves a little happiness,' said Daniel firmly.

`As long as this doesn't effect the team dynamic.' said Jack stubbornly, `We are the premier active unit in the SGC and nothing can come between us and our objective'.

Daniel frowned his disapproval.

`Sam is the most dedicated officer I have ever seen. I know that she would never allow this relationship to influence her behaviour in any way, and I object to the implication that she would.'

Jack pursed his lips for a moment, then rubbed one hand over his face.

`As usual, you're right Danny. I wish her all the best' he said, making a mental note to get a code 3 check on the guy.

`So, Sam. Where are you going to celebrate your anniversary?' asked Janet Fraiser keenly.

`Janet! Don't you ever give up on this?' said Sam.

`Samantha Carter. Don't you pull that one on me. For someone to keep a relationship going for six months in this place is like winning an Olympic gold medal. Not something that happens every day' chastised Janet Fraiser.

`Well, we are going to Granelli's' said Sam.

`Wow! That's serious money. I am seriously impressed' said Janet, stopping and looking at her friend.

Sam just smiled and raised her eyebrows.

Janet Fraiser looked up and down the corridor before grabbing her friend's arm, causing her to stop abruptly.

`Sam, how is it going really? I mean you must be reaching the point where you have to decide whether to take this whole thing with Brad to another level? Despite this job, you've managed to see him regularly for six months now. How does he cope with it all? After that last run in with Osiris, you were laid out for a week, and the injuries were obvious for a good two weeks after that?' asked Janet, keeping her voice low.

`He handles it really well, Janet. I'm just not sure that I do. He stayed with me for those couple of weeks, even though he didn't understand what had happened and I couldn't tell him. He looked after me. He cooked for me and changed my dressings. I couldn't do what he did without knowing why any of that had happened' said Sam softly.

`The guy sounds like a dream. A man who doesn't feel that he has to try and control your life! So when can I buy a new hat?' said Janet cheekily.

Sam gaped at Janet.

`Janet, what are you implying?' whispered Sam.

`When two people love each other and they get along well and there's nothing else in the way, it does often end in marriage, you know! Maybe he'll be bringing a small box with him tonight. A small box containing a bright shiny stone on a gold band' said Janet cheekily.

`But, we have such different backgrounds, Janet. I'm a Major in the air force, I'm already married to serving my country. He's a professional who needs someone that can dedicate themselves to helping him get on in his life, and I can't do that. I can't even guarantee that I can meet him in a bar at the right time, for God's sake.'

`Yet, despite all that, he seems willing to give it a try' said Janet.

`Yeah, he is a patient man. In the six months I've known him, he's never got angry when I've not turned up. He's never questioned where I've been or why. He just accepts everything' said Sam.

`But? I hear a great big 'BUT' in there' said Janet.

`It has been good. Really good!, but I think it's fading away. We tried as hard as we could, and I did want it to work. Honest, Janet! I don't know when I'll get the chance again. But no matter how much you want something, sometimes it just doesn't happen. I'm going to tell him tonight if I can find the words. It's funny how hard that can be sometimes, but I know that he knows already. I know him well enough to be sure of that' said Sam sadly.

`Oh, Sam. I'm so sorry' said Janet, her tone changing to a sympathetic one, her hand patting Sam's arm gently.

`So am I, more than I could ever say' said Sam before turning abruptly and walking quickly towards her lab. Janet Fraiser stood in the corridor and watched Sam walking quickly away. Sympathy filled her eyes as she pushed her hands into the pockets of her white coat and turning, she walked back to the infirmary.

`Where's Carter' snapped Colonel Jack O'Neill impatiently.

`I believe that she was in her laboratory, O'Neill' said Teal'c calmly.

`Doesn't she know we have a briefing at 10:00 hours?' snarled Jack.

`It is only 09:58' said Teal'c, glancing at the clock.

`Yeah, well everyone else is here' muttered Jack, refusing to be beaten, just as the door swung open and Sam Carter walked in, a pile of blue folders tucked under her arm.

`About time' muttered Jack, refusing to acknowledge the look that Daniel flung in his direction.

Sam ignored his comments and passed out the folders silently.

`And what delights do we have here?' said Jack, opening his file and rifling through the papers inside.

`A geological survey of P801, sir' said Sam dully.

`Whoopee!! I don't know if I can stand the excitement' said Jack.

`I'll take us through this' said Daniel, flinging a look of disgust at Jack before standing up and switching on the overhead projector.

Sam watched silently as Daniel ran efficiently through the geo-technical printouts contained in the folders. Jack looked at Sam through half closed eyes, his brow furrowed into lines of consideration.

`You got that, Carter?' he said pointedly as Daniel finished finally and sat down.

`Yes, sir' she said succinctly, refusing to rise to his bait.

`No questions? It's just that you seem a little preoccupied. Tough night out?' he prompted, leaning back in his chair.

`No questions, sir' she said coolly.

`So, kids, we have a go?' he asked archly, turning towards Teal`c and Daniel.

`I see no reason why we should not undertake this mission' said Teal'c solemnly.

`There are some interesting geological anomalies. Interesting enough to merit an investigation' said Daniel as he shuffled his papers.

`Okay dokey, 08:00 hours tomorrow it is. And don't be late, Carter' said Jack flippantly.

Sam looked at him, her brow creased in annoyance and he smiled faintly, pleased to have elicited a response from her. Whistling softly, he sauntered from the room. Sam watched him for a moment, staring at the door after he'd closed it behind him.

`Just ignore him, Sam. He's been in one of those moods for a while. I don't know what's got under his skin' said Daniel's soft voice.

`Yeah. I could just do without it right now' replied Sam.

`Anything you want to talk about?' said Daniel, his soft grey eyes catching hers.

`Not really. I broke up with Brad last night' said Sam quietly.

`Oh! I'm sorry. Serious?'

`Well, it's permanent, if that's what you mean' replied Sam.

Daniel didn't say anymore, he simply rested his hand on her arm sympathetically, `Do you want to grab a coffee?'.

`I have things to sort out in my lab before this mission' said Sam briskly, `and Daniel, I'll be fine, honestly'.

The thick mud seemed to suck at every footstep as Sam Carter struggled across the desolate landscape. She could hear her CO cursing softly under his breath as he walked ahead of her.

`Carter! In future, remind me to ask the General to check for mud before we decide on a mission' shouted O'Neill over his shoulder.

`Yes, sir' she shouted back as she tried to scrape off a little of the cloying dirt from her boots.

A peel of thunder directly overhead was soon followed by the splatter of heavy raindrops. Sam quickly pulled a waterproof poncho out of her pack and shrugged it on. Colonel O'Neill was stood a little way ahead of her. He'd stopped and he was surveying the immediate area. Sam could see the water dripping off the peak of his cap as he turned full circle. He paused for a moment, then headed back towards her.

`Over there,' he shouted into the rising wind, pointing to Sam`s right, 'There's a rocky area with some dark patches that could be caves. We'll set camp.'

`Yes, sir' shouted Sam in response, turning immediately and fighting her way through the driving rain.

The dark patches did turn out to be caves, one of them large enough to offer shelter as well as enough dry sticks to set a fire. Sam pulled off her poncho and quickly gathered up the wood. Daniel, Teal'c and Colonel O'Neill walked in as the first tendrils of fire licked at the kindling.

`Coffee' grunted Daniel as he struggled out of his damp pack and jacket, making Sam smile.

` T, we'll do a quick survey. Carter, Daniel, set camp' said Jack briskly before turning and heading back out into the torrential downpour.

Teal'c silently fastened his jacket and followed his CO out of the cave, carrying his staff weapon lightly in one hand.

`I hate the rain' snuffled Daniel as he dried his hair with a small towel.

Sam nodded and poked at the burning sticks, adding some more as the flames grew stronger. She pulled out a small pan from her pack and adding some water from her canteen, she balanced it amongst the burning wood. She turned and watched silently as Daniel shook out their bed rolls and placed them on the floor. When he'd finished he selected some field rations and brought them over to the fire, placing them in a neat pile to one side. With a shiver and a loud sniff, he crouched down by the fire and rubbed his hands over the crackling flames.

`You alright, Sam?' he asked quietly, without stopping his hand movements.

Sam looked up at him sharply. She'd been buried in thought.

`What Daniel?' she said, flustered.

`I asked if you were alright. You seem a little preoccupied' said Daniel.

`I suppose I am. Life seems a little bleak right now' she said.

`Do you want to talk. It can help you know' said Daniel, kindly.

`I know,' said Sam, `but actually, I don't. I've just broken up with the best chance at happiness that I've had for a very long time. But, you know, it may sound a little hard but it doesn't hurt as much as it should. He had everything going for him, we got on really well together, but somehow, however much we wanted it, it just didn't happen. Why is life like that?'

`I wish I knew the answer to that one. Sometimes even all the right ingredients don't make the recipe work. Can't say I ever thought that the daughter of a nomad, given to me, would turn out to be the love of my life. I always kinda thought that I'd marry some intellectual with a string of degrees and that we'd discuss ancient Phoenician over the breakfast table' said Daniel sadly.

Sam looked at him sympathetically and reaching over, she stroked his arm gently. Together they stared silently into the flickering flames until the boiling water claimed Sam's attention.

`The Colonel and Teal'c are taking a while' she said absently as she stirred the coffee into the water.

Daniel's forehead creased for a moment as he looked towards the mouth of the cave.

`The storm's getting worse' he said, before standing and walking over to the cave mouth. A bright flash and simultaneous deep rumble made him stop still. It was quickly followed by a succession of even louder crashes.

`I wonder what's keeping them? I can't think there's anything else out in this' shouted Daniel above the loud rumbles.

Sam stood up and joined him next to the cave mouth. Concern flashed across her face as she peered out into the maelstrom.

`Should I go look for them?' she shouted.

`The Colonel and Teal'c are extremely capable. Give it five' shouted Daniel in response. The pair stood tensely, eyes straining to see into the now horizontal, driving rain.

Suddenly Sam made out a deeper shadow moving towards the cave.

`There!' she shouted, pointing at the now distinguishable figure of Teal'c as he struggled through the storm.

Sam gasped as she saw the stumbling figure of Colonel O'Neill only held upright by the Teal'c's massive arm clamped around his shoulders. Without hesitation, she ran out into the appalling weather, ignoring Daniel's shout as the wind blew it away behind her. She gasped as the icy water hit her full in the face and for a moment she staggered until she gained her footing, leaning into the wind. In a couple of strides she reached Teal'c who immediately grabbed her with his free hand. In an almost surreal attention to detail, she noticed that he'd strapped his staff weapon across his back, leaving both hands free. She shot him a thankful grin, not wasting her breath in attempting to shout over the continual howl. It only took a moment for her to assess their situation and she moved round to the Colonel's other side, pulling his limp arm over her shoulder, helping Teal'c to drag the now unconscious figure the last few yards back to the cave. As soon as they made it into the dry safety of the cave, Daniel grabbed hold of Sam's arm, taking the weight of the Colonel off her. She bent over to catch her breath as Teal'c and Daniel carefully laid him down on a bedding roll. She watched numbly as Daniel gently pulled off his cap and unzipped his soaking jacket.

`Teal'c?' she gasped.

`We had turned round to return to the cave when lightening struck a large tree. Before we could move out of the way, the tree fell. I believe that a large branch hit Colonel O'Neill on the head' said Teal'c, his face grimacing as he panted for breath.

`He's bleeding' shouted Daniel from his position knelt at the Colonel's side.

Sam gasped as Daniel moved and she caught side of the stain of red running across the Colonel's cheek and down his neck.

`Med kit' she said briskly, peeling off her soaking shirt and kneeling down beside the Colonel. As Daniel placed the kit beside her, she carefully felt behind the Colonel's head and neck. Parting his wet, spiky hair gently, she pursed her lips at the three inch gash running jaggedly just above his hair line.

`It's a nasty cut, and right in an area that will continue to bleed profusely unless I do something to stop it' she said out loud.

`Does that mean stitches?' asked Daniel, looking a little green.

`I'll try butterfly clips first, but I'll have to cut off some of his hair' she said.

`I do not believe that O'Neill likes his hair to be cut off' said Teal'c solemnly.

`I think he'd prefer it to bleeding to death' said Sam briskly, attacking the hair around the cut with a small pair of sharp scissors.

Forty minutes later Sam sat back on her heels and looked critically at her handiwork.

`Not bad' she muttered as she wiped her hands on a damp cloth. She leant forward and gently wiped the remaining blood from the Colonel's face and neck, sighing with satisfaction when she'd finished. His face looked pale in the dim light, but his pulse was still strong and steady and she knew that he'd recover with time.

`Good job, Sam' said Daniel as he helped her pack away the remaining medical supplies. She grinned at him, pleased with his approval.

`Indeed, MajorCarter. Your medical skills are most impressive' added Teal'c.

`Thanks' she said shyly, suddenly realising that she was still wearing her soaking clothes.

`I think I'll get changed now' she said and smiled as Daniel and Teal'c immediately turned away to allow her privacy.

Sam woke with a start. She hadn't realised how tired the events of the last twelve hours had made her. The sound of hushed voices caught her attention. The Colonel was obviously awake and he was talking quietly with Daniel. She caught the sound of her own name and she homed in on their conversation.

`Sam helped Teal'c bring you back in and she sorted out that nasty cut on your head.' she heard Daniel's voice say.

`How long have I been out?' asked the Colonel.

`Four hours or so' said Daniel.

`Well, it hurts like hell' grumbled the Colonel, making her smile.

`You might have bled to death without Sam's help' said Daniel firmly.

Sam decided that eavesdropping was not a good idea, so she rolled over and sat up noisily.

`Sam?' she heard Daniel call out.

`Yes?' she responded.

`Jack's awake' Daniel replied.

`Ah!' she said.

`See! She doesn't care that I nearly died' said a petulant voice.

`At least it would make life a bit quieter, sir' she called back as she struggled out of her bedding roll.

She heard a faint chuckle and smiling in response she walked over towards them. Kneeling silently beside the Colonel, she carefully inspected her repairs before sitting back with a satisfied grin.

`Finished inflicting pain, Carter?'

`Yes, sir' she said crisply.

`Good!'.

`There's gratitude for you' she responded, her eyes glinting mischievously.

`Gratitude! It's gonna cost me a fortune in hairdressers bills to sort out your handiwork' grunted Jack.

`That'd make a change'.

`What?'

`You spending money at a hairdressers, sir. It usually looks like you've been thirteen rounds with the lawnmower' she said cheekily.

`Carter!!'

`Sorry, sir. Must stoke up the fire' she said, dodging out of his way as he made a weak lunge towards her.

Sam glanced out of the cave door at the dying storm. It was still raining, but the wind had dropped considerably. Occasional flashes lit the sky, but there was a long gap before the corresponding rumble echoed around the mountains. She rooted around the corners of the cave, noticing that the Colonel and Daniel still appeared to be deep in conversation. After collecting a small pile of sticks, she returned to the fire and fed the flames, watching as each stick first spluttered and then caught hold.

`So! Carter seems more like her old self' said Jack quietly.

`Mmm' said Daniel noncommittally.

`How's it going on the boyfriend front?' asked Jack nonchalantly, giving the appearance that the question had just slipped out without him knowing.

`It isn't' said Daniel with a sigh.

`Ahh!' said Jack, glancing sharply at Sam as she busied herself around the fire.

`Look, Jack. The guy was alright.'

`I know.'

`What do you mean?'

`I mean that I had a code three check carried out on him' said Jack coolly.

`You did what!' said Daniel, his voice still quiet, but managing to express his outrage.

`I had a code three done on him. Look you have to understand my position. This guy appears from outta the blue and gets close to one of the senior officers in the SGC. As her CO and as 2IC at the SGC, I would be derelict in my duty if I didn't' said Jack.

`But Sam's not just a Major, she's your friend and you were prying into her private life. I know she's an air force officer, but that doesn't mean that she not entitled to a private life' said Daniel.

`Yes she is. But that doesn't alter the facts. She'd do the same if positions were reversed' said Jack firmly.

`I don't believe that' said Daniel, looking shocked.

`You'd better believe it, Danny boy. Carter is a good officer and she knows that we sometimes have to do things that we don't like' said Jack.

`Yes, but are you sure that you don't like doing it, Jack' said Daniel sharply.

Jack just looked at him and pursed his lips.

`Look, Sam's just broken up in this relationship and she must be feeling a little fragile. God, it's hard enough in this job without trying to keep a relationship going' said Daniel, `I think we should all be a little easy on her'.

`Do you? I think that she's demonstrated today that she's better when her mind is taken off things' said Jack stubbornly.

`Are you saying that you got injured just to take Sam's mind off Brad?' said Daniel, aghast.

`Of course not! Let's just say that it was fortunate timing' said Jack.

Daniel shook his head and glared at his CO.

`Sometimes I just don't understand you' he muttered.

Sam walked over carefully, a cup of steaming coffee in each hand.

`Coffee? Sir? Daniel?' she asked with a smile.

`Sure! Thanks, Carter' said Jack, struggling to sit up.

Sam quickly put down the cups and gave her hand to her CO, pulling him up. Daniel watched from the side, sipping appreciatively at the hot drink. He watched thoughtfully as Sam quickly let go of Jack's hand as soon as he was sitting comfortably. His mind quickly switched back to earlier in the day when they had had their little heart to heart about Sha're. He remembered how Sam had rested her hand on his arm sympathetically. She had left it there until they'd finished, trying to give him comfort.

`How are you feeling, sir?' he heard her ask, almost casually.

`Better now I have the coffee' he grumbled.

Daniel watched as Sam smiled contentedly. He realised that she felt at ease with the way that Jack talked. He realised that she liked Jack's eternal sarcasm. Daniel suddenly wondered whether Sam's reaction was actually driving Jack to behave as he did. His behaviour had certainly changed whilst Sam was involved with Brad. He'd niggled and nagged at her, almost as though he was trying to elicit a response. Daniel had assumed that it was simply because Jack didn't like the change in the team dynamic, but now he wondered.

Sipping at his coffee, his hands wrapped around the hot mug, Daniel thought back over the years that they'd been together as a team. He'd heard all about that very first day that Sam had walked in, all attitude, defences bristling. He'd been told how the other men in the room immediately responded to her obvious attractiveness. Kawalski had told him during that visit to Abydos that the Colonel had immediately dismissed her as a Pentagon patsy, only to grudgingly give her credit for her feisty responses to their blatantly sexist comments. She'd been all wide eyed as they'd come through the gate, but her intelligence had shone though, giving them an immediate bond.

He remembered her reluctance to wear that blue dress on that planet, and how the team's refusal to acknowledge her rights had seriously put her life at risk. What Sam didn't know was that the Colonel, Teal'c and himself had agreed afterwards never to put Sam in that position again. None of them had understood her rights as a person to remain safe, and just because it gave them a laugh, they'd put her at risk.

One time that the team had never discussed between them was when they'd had their minds stamped and they'd lived as other people in that underground power plant. Jack and Sam (or Jonah and Thera, as they were known) had immediately and instinctively teamed up. Daniel wasn't sure quite how close they'd become at that time, but he had his suspicions.

It was after the entity had possessed Sam that he'd first noticed their relationship changing. It was almost as though Jack put up the barriers. His whole attitude became much more sarcastic. He appeared to be almost dumb in the way he responded to situations, although Daniel was all too aware that he was far from dumb. Daniel suddenly realised that he was making it easy for Sam. He was giving her freedom professionally. Almost without her realising it, she was stretching the skills that she'd need for leadership. He was also giving her freedom personally. If there was anything between Sam and Jack, it would be impossible. Regulations just wouldn't permit it and there was no way either of them would flaunt those regulations. Daniel thought about those other Alternate Universes. One constant factor had been the relationships existing between their Jacks and Sams. He suddenly realised how hard Sam's relationship with Brad must have been on Jack. He also knew that there was no way Jack would say anything about it. He'd dealt with it in his own way.

Daniel continued to sip thoughtfully at his coffee as he leant back and rested against a large rock. Though half closed eyes he watched Sam and Jack.

Sam was grinning widely as Jack finished some ridiculous story about a dog he used to have that was afraid of thunder. As Daniel watched, Jack's face suddenly turned paler and he closed his eyes a moment. Sam quickly dropped her mug and caught hold of Jack's arm, lowering him gently to the ground. He watched as she chewed unconsciously on her lip as she pressed two fingers to the pulse point in Jack's neck. She was gazing at her watch, timing his pulse and she didn't see Jack open his eyes. As Daniel watched, he saw Jack's dark eyes almost flash as he stared intently up at her. A faint smile curled his lips before he closed his eyes again and groaned dramatically.

The groan made Sam jump slightly and she peered anxiously at Jack's face.

`Sir!' he heard her mutter.

Jack groaned again and Daniel saw Sam's eyes squint suspiciously.

`Are you awake, sir?' she said, leaning even closer to his face.

Suddenly Jack's eyes opened and she jumped backwards.

`Whatdya think?' asked Jack cheekily.

`Hmph' she exclaimed and standing up quickly she walked over to the cave door, unable to disguise the smile on her face.

`Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill appear to have become friends again' said Teal'c's deep voice.

Daniel turned to face him.

`Yes, they do' he said simply.

`I am glad' said Teal'c.

`So am I, Teal'c, so am I!'.

THE END

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz