Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Pete's Dragon

by PZ
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Pete's Dragon

Pete's Dragon

by PZ

Summary: Set a few months after Chimera, so don't read if you don't want spoilers. Sam has to make decisions about her future.
Category: Angst, Future Story
Episode Related: 715 CHIMERA
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/other
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/25/04

PETE's DRAGON

Takes place a few months after the events in `Chimera'.

Sam has to make some decisions about her future.

Rating : PG

Pairings : Sam / Pete, Sam / Jack.

I had to write this after seeing Chimera. I'm afraid that it jumps backwards and forwards in time I hope it's not too confusing.

WARNING:

* * * * * * SPOILERS FOR SEASON 7 - CHIMERA * * * * * *

Major Samantha Carter felt bone weary but happy as she finished towelling her hair dry. A tap on the door of the locker room interrupted her reverie.

`Come in, sir' she shouted wryly.

`Just coming to inform you of a delicious pizza that's got your name written on it, if you're interested' said the warm tones of Colonel Jack O'Neill as he stuck his tousled head around the door.

Sam hesitated. Despite all the odds she'd held down a relationship with a police officer off the base. She'd first met Pete Shanahan four months ago though her brother and with a dogged determination to succeed for once in a relationship, she'd seen him every moment she could. Generally this meant that she had missed out on the ritual of the post mission pizza, but Jack never forgot to ask anyway. This latest mission had consisted of basically four days of hard slog though an endlessly forested terrain carrying a backbreaking load of scientific equipment. It had been routine but tiring.

`I see tomatoes, pepperoni, mozzarella, tuna if you like!' teased Jack O'Neill until she couldn't help smiling.

`Sure, why not?' she said suddenly, missing the quick flick upwards of his eyebrows.

`Just give me five' she said and Jack O'Neill's head disappeared back out of the door.

As she stowed away her personal belonging in her locker, her mind flew back to her laboratory, four days previously.

***

Sam sighed contentedly as she stashed the final piece of equipment into it's padded box and as she stood back and surveyed the neat pile of aluminium cases, she hummed absentmindedly. Although the planned mission was routine, the initial geological readings from the planet justified a significant study, hence the pile of equipment. She loved utilising the full capabilities of the SGC and it gave her unexplained satisfaction.

`Still hum worthy?' asked a laconic voice from the doorway.

`What?' said a startled Sam.

`I meant, you look happy. How's Pete' said Jack O'Neill.

`He's fine' said Sam flustered, `but I wasn't humming because of Pete. I mean it is going great of course, but I was humming because I'd finished packing all the equipment. I love to see a little pile of boxes like that.'

`I mean I could have been humming because of Pete. I just wasn't this time. Everything's going great' she finished lamely.

`I'm glad. You deserve it' said Jack warmly and then turned and abruptly left the room.

***

Doctor Daniel Jackson and Teal'c were leaning against the corridor wall when she emerged from the locker room. She looked around quickly.

`Where's the Colonel?' she said.

`Here' came a voice from behind her, `let's move out kids before I start eating the wallpaper'.

`There's wallpaper?' asked Sam with a grin, looking up and down the corridor at the plain grey concrete walls.

Sam fell in step at the side of Daniel.

`Nice to have you with us again' said Daniel quietly.

`Yes. It is nice' said Sam happily.

`You enjoyed that mission, didn't you?' he asked.

`It does make a nice change. No jaffa, no super soldiers, no glowing eyes. Just four days of investigation and study' she said.

`Not sure Jack agrees with you' said Daniel, pulling a face.

`I know the Colonel enjoys a bit more action, but even he seemed to enjoy the terrain and even the woodland' said Sam.

`Yes, he did, didn't he?' said Daniel curiously.

***

Sam switched off the final piece of equipment and secured it under the tarpaulin cover. Standing back, she noticed the flicker of light from the fire and realised that she could smell coffee. A hand appeared in her line of sight. It was clutching a tin cup of steaming liquid.

`Coffee?' said Daniel Jackson.

`Hmm, please' said Sam taking the cup from him and nursing it in both hands.

She turned and followed him back towards the camp fire.

The four team members sat for a while munching on rations until finally, Jack O'Neill stood up and, stretching his legs, he picked up his P90 and fastened it to his jacket.

`We have an early start, folks. I'll take first watch, then Carter, Daniel, Teal'c' he said and pulling his cap back on he headed for the line of rocks that they had designated the camp perimeter.

Daniel Jackson stood up and rubbed his eyes.

`See you in the morning' he said with a quick grin and headed for one of the small tents.

Sam pulled out a small notebook, and settling down against a tree stump, she was soon deep in concentration as she wrote up the day's investigations using the light from the fire and then a small torch. She noticed Teal'c as he silently toured the perimeter of the camp before turning in.

The soft buzzing of her watch against her wrist signalled her turn to stand watch and with a sigh she packed away her notebook and switched off her little light. As she walked towards the outcrop of rocks, she noticed for the first time the beauty of the night sky. The stars were bright against the black velvety backdrop and a thin slice of moon cast a silvery light.

`Carter' said Jack O'Neill without even turning to face her.

Sam smiled to herself, `Sir!' she said simply.

Jack was sat perched on a flat topped rock, his P90 cradled across his knees. Without speaking he moved over on the rock and waited. Sam sat next to him on the warmed rock and waited. Jack sat uncharacteristically still.

`See those three stars?' he asked suddenly, pointing towards an area of the sky close to the horizon.

`Hmm' muttered Sam.

`I think that's Orion's belt. A little twisted maybe, as though we're viewing it from the side`. He pulled out his hunting knife and scratched on the surface of the rock.

`If this is earth, Orion's belt is here, then we must be about here' he said concentrating on the scratch marks.

Sam nodded and studied his `map'.

`The moon looks almost crystalline' she said, tilting her head back and studying the sky.

Jack rooted in a capacious pocket and pulled out a slim heavily armoured box. He handed it to Sam. Her curiosity aroused, Sam unclipped the lid and opened the box. In a deeply padded interior the moonlight reflected off the shining brass surface of beautifully crafted telescope.

`It's beautiful' she gasped.

Jack smiled and pulled out the slender cylinder from it's case, handing it over to her.

`Is it more powerful than the binoculars?' asked Sam.

`No! But it has so much more style' said Jack.

Sam squinted though eyepiece and gasped as Jack nudged the end until she was staring at the moon.

`It looks like ice' she muttered.

`That's what I thought' said Jack.

`Do you always bring this with you?' she asked, holding the telescope carefully.

`No' he said, `Only if it looks like I'll get chance to use it'.

`Ahh' said Sam.

They sat for a while longer in silence.

`Don't you want to sleep?' asked Sam.

`Not tired' said Jack.

`Sir, can I ask you a question?' asked Sam

`Ask away' said Jack.

`When you were married, did you find your job got in the way of your home life?'

`If you mean, does it cause problems not being able to talk about what you're doing everyday? Yes. It does' he said sadly.

`Pete knows a certain amount about the SGC because of the Osiris incident, but I don't tell him anything that he doesn't need to know. He pushes me to though' said Sam.

`Is it a problem?' asked Jack.

`He thinks it is' said Sam sadly.

`I'm sorry' said Jack.

`We'll work though it' said Sam.

`Do I sense that Pete is a little over protective?' asked Jack carefully.

`A little' admitted Sam.

`I don't blame him. It must take a little getting used to. That fact that your girlfriend travels to other planets, fights with aliens with snakes in their head, gets taken over by a computer program, battles super soldiers ....'

`Ok, ok! I get the idea' said Sam, `But my job is very important to me.'

`Does he know that?' asked Jack.

`He wants me to quit. He wants me to take a job at Denver University' said Sam.

`Sounds serious' said Jack quietly.

`He is' said Sam.

`What do you want?' asked Jack.

`I want things to carry on as they are. I want to travel through the stargate with you and Daniel and Teal'c' said Sam, `It's the best job in the world and I just can't imagine not doing it'.

`Things change with time' said Jack, `and you should do what gives you the best chance at happiness. Jobs come and go. Happiness is the only thing that lasts.'

`Thank you, sir' said Sam.

`It's nothing' said Jack, standing up and straightening his jacket.

Sam watched as he ambled back towards the camp, and then she turned, drawing up her knees and resuming her watch.

***

Sam sat back against the padded back of the bench seat and sighed contentedly.

`That was great' she said, satisfied.

`Another beer?' asked Jack.

`I'd prefer a glass of wine. A large one!' said Sam recklessly.

Daniel glanced at her curiously before beckoning over the waiter and asking for another round of drinks.

`Guess we're catching cabs home tonight' said Jack wryly.

`I could drive, O'Neill' said Teal'c sipping at his tall glass of water.

Jack looked at him for a minute.

`I'll arrange cabs' he said and pulled out his cell phone.

`Sam doesn't need a cab' said a voice behind them.

Sam swivelled round on her seat.

`Pete!' she said.

`Yes! And looks like a good job that I was here. Don't you think you should be at home right now? It has been four days' said Pete Shanahan.

`And just exactly how did you come to be just here, just now?' asked Jack acidly.

`Jack!' warned Daniel, a warning hand resting on Jack`s arm.

`Sir! I'll just go' said Sam grabbing her jacket and edging out from the bench.

Jack watched her go, with barely disguised distain.

`That guy gets right on my......' he said.

`Jack! Calm down. Sam's a grown woman. She can take care of herself. She needs to sort this out herself' said Daniel quickly.

`Hmmph' grunted Jack, `Do you think he was following us?'

`Could just be a coincidence' said Daniel.

`I don't think so, somehow' grunted Jack.

*** Their second day on the planet was almost idyllic in Sam's eyes. The sun had beaten warmly on them all day and she'd found a particularly rich deposit of a Naquadaah like mineral. The initial survey readings were very promising. The team had worked well together, with Jack providing an endless source of amusement with little quips and comments that verged on the edge of being clever. Even Teal'c had relaxed enough to chat and tell her about Ry'acs's progress with Bra'tac. His pride had been obvious as he talked. They'd set camp early, giving Jack chance to relax by the side of a beautiful lake, taking a little sun, interspersed with a swim as Daniel stood watch.

As the sun set, two moons rose and the sky assumed a beautiful crystalline rose colour.

Sam saw Jack standing at the water's edge watching the two moons as they performed a stately dance across the sky.

`They're amazing' she said.

`Yes, they are' he said without turning.

`This is a beautiful planet' said Sam.

`I'll put it on the list for retirement' said Jack.

`You have a list?' quizzed Sam.

`Sure! I have no reason to retire to some rainy city on Earth when I could have a whole planet like this to myself'.

`Wouldn't you be lonely?' asked Sam.

`Perhaps my friends will come and visit' he said cryptically.

`Oh!' she said, unsure what to say, `But that`s a long way off`.

`Care to walk?' asked Jack, turning to face her at last.

`Sure' said Sam and fell in beside him as they walked the perimeter of the small lake.

They maintained an easy silence, simply commenting on things that they saw as they walked. Sam tripped once in the dim light, and Jack caught her quickly before she fell. She'd been very close to him for a moment and it made her feel content. They arrived back at the camp in time for supper.

***

`Don't ever do that again, Pete' said Sam as she strode towards his car. She was furious and more than a little tipsy.

`I've missed you' said Pete, grabbing her arm and pulling her round to face him.

`That doesn't excuse....' started Sam.

`I know. I'm sorry' he said, `I'm crazy about you. You know that, Sam'.

He reached up and touched her face softly with his hand.

`I can't bear the thought of you away from me' he said, kissing her gently on her neck.

Sam closed her eyes and relaxed against him.

`I'll take you home' Pete whispered in her ear and Sam nodded.

***

The third day had gone too fast for Sam. She'd revelled in the beautiful countryside and they'd even stopped for an impromptu game of baseball that had resulted in disagreement of mammoth proportions between the Colonel and Daniel about an obscure rule that Jack claimed he knew, the meaning of which would result in him winning the game. They ended up tussling playfully and eventually they'd fallen on the floor as Sam held her side in laughter. As the tears poured down her face, the Colonel had picked her up in a fireman's lift and deposited her unceremoniously into a shallow river. She'd come up spluttering but still laughing and Teal'c had given her a hand out. Daniel threw her a towel and she rubbed at her hair as they walked along.

`Did you make up that rule, sir' whispered Sam to Jack as they walked.

Jack raised an eyebrow and put on a totally innocent face.

`Me!' he said.

`Yes, sir' said Sam.

`Of course' said Jack.

Sam let out a loud guffaw, before clamping a hand over her mouth. She saw Daniel watching them suspiciously.

`Good joke, sir' she said loudly, for Daniel's benefit.

Jack smiled briefly.

***

`Pete, how did you know I was at the Pizza house last night?' asked Sam as she prepared breakfast.

`I'm a cop, honey. I'm trained to do that kind of thing' he said with a smile.

`You weren't following me, were you?' she asked as she flipped the eggs, her eyes fixed on the pan.

She felt two arms wrap round her waist and the warmth of his chest against her back. He placed a soft kiss just below her ear.

`Sam. It's just because I care about you. I'm not about to let this chance at happiness just disappear' he whispered.

`Promise me that you'll never do that again' said Sam deliberately.

Pete's arms slid from around her and she felt him move away.

`I sometimes don't think that you care for me as much as I do for you' he said.

Sam turned and stared at him.

`If you took that job in Denver we could be together more and I wouldn't feel like this' he said plaintively.

`Pete, you know how much my job means to me' said Sam.

`More than me?' he asked.

`It's not a matter of you or my job' said Sam.

`Isn't it?' he asked.

`Why can't you accept me for what I am. My job is part of me. It's who I am' pleaded Sam.

`Why can't you choose? Why can't you choose me?' said Pete sadly, `I would make you so happy.'

`Would you?' said Sam thoughtfully.

***

`Jack! You never cease to surprise me' said General George Hammond to his second in command.

Jack looked down at him steadily.

`But I'm not going to accept this. You know that, don't you?' said Hammond.

The muscles in Jacks jaw worked as he watched General Hammond wave the white envelope and then shut it in a drawer.

`Now I know what it says, but are you going to tell me what this is really all about?' asked the astute General.

`Like it says in the letter, I'm tired of this. My knees hurt all the time and I want time to fish' said Jack stubbornly, `Do I have to keep going until I get killed by some snake in the head?'

`I don't know what's behind all this, but I will find out' said Hammond, `In the meanwhile I suggest you get ready for your next mission, Colonel'.

Jack scowled, but left as ordered.

General Hammond picked up his phone.

`Send Major Carter to me' he snapped before slumping into his seat with a sigh.

***

`Come in, Major' shouted the General in response to the tap on his door.

As Sam Carter entered the room, he gesticulated to a chair next to his desk.

`Coffee, Major?'

Sam arched her eyebrows in surprise.

`Thank you, sir' she said watching the General pour thick, black fluid from an insulated jug into a white china cup. He added a biscuit to her saucer and handed it to her.

Sam accepted the cup and sipped at the coffee.

`Major Carter. What I am about to ask you is highly personal, and nothing either of us says should leave this room' said Hammond seriously.

Sam looked at him, concern furrowing her brow.

`Sam, can you think of any reason why Colonel O'Neill would wish to leave the SGC?' he asked.

Sam's mouth dropped open in shock.

`Leave?' she stuttered.

`The Colonel has offered his resignation' said Hammond.

`Why?'

`That's what I'd like to know'.

Sam thought for a moment.

`I honestly cannot think of a reason' she said.

`I am not aware of any personal reasons' said Hammond, watching her closely.

Sam thought for a moment and then shrugged.

`I'm sorry, sir......'.

`Very well, but please keep me informed if you discover anything' said Hammond.

`Yes, sir' said Sam.

`You are excused' said Hammond formally.

`Thank you, sir'.

***

Sam's mind was in turmoil as she strode down the corridor. She stopped outside the Colonel's office door and without hesitation gave one perfunctory knock and opened the door. Colonel O'Neill looked up at her in surprise.

`Did I say come?' he asked sarcastically.

`I don't know' said Sam sharply, entering the room and closing the door behind her.

`Major?' quizzed Jack.

`Why are you resigning?' she asked quickly.

`I didn't think I had to explain my reasons to my 2IC' said Jack harshly.

`You don't! But it's normal to share things with your friend' said Sam heavily.

`I will, when I find one' snapped Jack.

Sam drew in a sharp breath and standing up quickly, she opened the door and left without speaking, slamming it hard behind her.

Jack's fist stung as he punched the hard wood of his desk.

`Damn! DAMN!!' he shouted at the closed door.

***

Sam panted hard as she hit the punch bag repeatedly. Her arms ached and sweat ran down the curve of her back. Eventually she stopped and peeled off her gloves. She felt an almost obsessional desire to shout, but instead she kicked the punch bag with all her weight.

`Ow!' she muttered.

`You should hold back a little' said a low voice behind her, `damage to government property is a court marshal offence`.

Sam spun round.

`Colonel!' she said coldly.

Jack held out his hands in supplication.

`What can I say?' he said.

`Try sorry' said Sam.

`Sorry' he said, looking contrite.

`Why are you resigning?' she asked directly.

`It's just time. I'm getting too old for all this' he insisted.

`I don't believe you' said Sam, wiping her neck with a small towel.

Jack hesitated.

`This is not a place to talk' he said quietly.

`My place?' said Sam.

`Probably not a good idea' said Jack, thinking about Pete.

`What about P3B?' said Jack.

Sam gaped at him.

`Our next mission?' she asked.

`It's only a meet and greet' he said plaintively, `Daniel will do all the talking with the locals, giving us time to talk..... As friends'.

`With no chance of interruption' said Sam, think of Pete and his last run in with the team.

`I guess' he said sheepishly.

***

Sam waited nervously by the ruined wall. They set camp early by order of the Colonel. Teal'c was watching the perimeter closely. They had seen evidence of Goa'uld activity during the day and Jack had insisted on checking out the area thoroughly before settling for the night.

Jack O'Neill walked silently towards the dark figure sat on a broken wall. Her head was down as she was obviously engrossed in thought.

`Penny for `em' he said as he reached her.

`Nothing really, sir' she said.

It was dark enough that he couldn't see her eyes.

`I figured that it was time to go' he said quietly.

`I don't understand' said Sam.

`I'm tired. Tired of this life' he said, shrugging in the dark.

`General Hammond thinks that there's more to it than that' persisted Sam.

`I know' said Jack.

`Is there?' asked Sam.

`I don't think it matters' said Jack.

`Friends help each other. We are friends, aren't we?' asked Sam.

`If you like' said Jack.

`I would like' said Sam.

`Hmph' said Jack.

`So?' prompted Sam.

`So what?' muttered Jack.

Sam stood up from her seat on the wall and stepped away from Jack.

`Where are you going?' asked Jack, stepping in her way.

`You obviously don't want to talk' snapped Sam.

`Wait! I'm just not good at this' said Jack apologetically, his hand resting softly on her arm..

`Ok' said Sam.

`I think it's time that SG1 split. For all our benefits' said Jack suddenly.

`Really?' asked Sam.

`Teal'c can spend time with his rebel Jaffa. Daniel always has a lot to occupy him, and now he has Sarah.

`And what about me?' asked Sam.

`Maybe you should go take that job at Denver' said Jack quietly.

Sam considered his words for a minute, before answering angrily.

`Don't you think that's my decision?'

`I thought you needed a little help to make the right decision' said Jack.

Sam thought about his words, then suddenly she grabbed his jacket and dragged him out into the moonlight.

`Look at me in the eye and tell me that you didn't resign for me' she demanded.

`Tell me that you didn't resign because I said that I was having problems with Pete. I said I wanted to carry on going through the stargate with you all. Tell me that you didn't resign so that I couldn't do that. Tell me you didn't resign because I love my job' she shouted, shaking his sleeve.

Jack regarded her sulkily, but remained silent.

`I want you to take it back. Take back the resignation' she said, her voice rising to a shout.

`No' he said stubbornly.

Sam let go of him suddenly and slumped backwards until she sat heavily on a pile of stones, shaking her head in confusion.

`How could I live with the guilt of knowing that you resigned to help me?' she muttered.

`It's time for me to rest' he said softly.

`I don't think so' said Sam, `Please take it back`.

`Will you go to Denver?' he asked.

`If you take it back' she muttered.

`Sam! It's very important to me that you don't throw away your chance at happiness' he mumbled.

`How do you know I would be doing that?' she asked.

`Pete's an ok guy, and he makes you happy' said Jack.

`You don't like him, do you?' she asked suddenly.

`It's not for me to like or dislike' said Jack quietly.

`It's important to me' said Sam.

`Why?'

`Because I value your opinion' she said stubbornly.

`I find him a little heavy' said Jack slowly.

`Heavy?'

`You know. A little possessive' said Jack, `A little controlling'.

`Really?'

`That's just how I feel. You know how you feel' said Jack.

Suddenly Sam laughed ironically.

`You're right. He is, but I always had this thing for the wrong type' she said sadly.

`He's not exactly Jonas Hanson' said Jack frowning.

`No! That's for sure. He's much more subtle, but he's still trying to dictate my life. Just like you are by resigning' she said.

Jack looked sharply at her.

`I would never want to tell you what to do with your life. I'm just giving you some options' he said firmly.

`Thank you, sir' she said softly.

Jack glanced at his wrist.

`Time for watch' he said.

`Sir!' she said quickly.

`Carter?'

`I'm not going to leave' she said `This does mean too much to me. I've broken off with Pete. You're right. He was too possessive. I felt stifled. He followed me to the Pizza house the other night, which means he must have been waiting outside the mountain'.

`I know' he mumbled, `I am sorry. You deserve better'.

`I have better' she said.

`How?'

`Here. With you and Daniel and Teal'c' she said simply.

`But you should have more. You should have someone to come home to. Someone to be there for you' said Jack sadly.

`Well maybe we can't have everything and what I have with you all is good enough' she said.

`There'll come a day when it won't be enough' said Jack.

`I'll deal with that when it comes' said Sam firmly.

Jack grinned at her.

`Glad to have you back on board, Major' he said, giving her a mock salute.

`So you will withdraw that letter?' asked Sam.

`I guess!' he said shyly.

`Thank you, sir' she whispered and turned to walk back to the camp.

He watched her walk a little way in from of him and he shook his head.

`Your time will come, Sam. I promise' he muttered to himself as he followed her back.

THE END.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to PZ