Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Halloween

by PZ
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Halloween

Halloween

by pz

Summary: Jack's campaign continues into Halloween.
Category: Future Story, Holiday, Romance, Series
Holiday: Halloween
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/other
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 03/13/04

Halloween.

It`s Halloween.

WARNING Big Spoilers for Grace. * * *

Pairing : S/J Rating : PG

Sam placed her shining engagement ring carefully in its box before she cut into the top of the large pumpkin. Although she was alone for Halloween, this being a busy night for Pete, she was determined to make a good show and so she'd bought three of the largest pumpkins in the store and all she had to do know was to carve them into the fearsome masks required by tradition. She left nothing to chance and she gazed in satisfaction at the pattern she'd cut out from a magazine. The intricate witch carved into the hollowed out pumpkin looked terrific, and she was sure that she was going to make a good, if not great attempt to copy the pattern.

After the first pumpkin was resigned to the bin, she admitted defeat.

`I need help' she thought, `There's only two hours to nightfall'.

Suddenly she had an idea, and grabbing a bag, she consigned the two pumpkins to it and headed for her car.

Jack O'Neill's house looked dark when she arrived and she looked at it dubiously.

`Can I help you?' came a voice through her open window, making her jump.

`Sir!' she exclaimed.

`That's me' he said cheekily.

`I need your help' said Sam quickly.

`Really?' he asked doubtfully.

`May I come in the house?' begged Sam.

`Sure!'

Sam clambered out of her car and he took the heavy bag containing the pumpkins from her, peering into it curiously.

`I tried to carve the first one and it ended up like a piece of modern art' she said anxiously.

Jack O'Neill grinned broadly as realisation dawned.

`I can imagine' he said.

`Are you saying I'm not artistic, sir' said Sam, feeling peeved.

`Carter, you can't be good at absolutely everything, and you forget that I've seen you draw' he said laconically.

`So you have' she said, wincing.

`Come in the house' he grinned.

Sam followed him into the kitchen and watched as he pulled out the two remaining pumpkins and placed them on a work surface. She couldn't help glancing around as he consigned the plastic bag to the bin. Although she'd known him for quite a number of years, she realised that she could probably count the number of times that she'd been in Jack O'Neill's house on considerably less than one hand. He'd always treated his personal life as intensely private, she remembered that it was Daniel that had told her about his son. In fact she realised that the only other times she'd been stood here in his kitchen was with Cassie or an even larger group enjoying one of Jack's barbecues. The thought suddenly made her feel uncomfortable and she glanced at him, wondering if he resented her intrusion.

He was dressed in his usual off duty style of oversized sweatshirt and baggy chinos. He'd obviously been working outside because he had a black beanie had pulled low over his forehead. As she watched, he pulled it off and scrubbed at his unruly head of hair with one hand. He looked relaxed as he consigned the hat to a peg by the door and then turned to study the pumpkins seriously. He turned them around a couple of time and then stood back to deliver his conclusions.

`Nice!` he commented, `but I haven`t done one of these for a long time`.

Sam suddenly realised that the last time he'd probably cut a pumpkin was with his son, Charlie.

`I wanted to do a witch' said Sam feeling flustered, then pulling out her tattered pattern.

`I see' said Jack, barely affording the cut out a glance `I suggest that you just do what comes from inside your head`.

Sam nodded carefully.

`I'll try' she said doubtfully.

Jack immediately cut off the top of the pumpkins and scooped out the insides. When he'd finished, he deftly cleaned away the mess and he stood back and surveyed his handiwork. Sam watched him from her perch on a high bar stool. She'd noticed at other times that his movements could be quick and precise when he wanted.

`Good' he muttered as he rinsed his hands.

`What do I do next, sir?' asked Sam, waving a large carving knife that she`d found in a drawer.

`First you get rid of that butchers knife. This is much more akin to carving, and I can lend you the tools for that' said Jack, rooting in a cupboard for a moment and then holding out a small black plastic case to her.

She opened it carefully to reveal a row of beautifully polished tiny chisels and blades.

`Wow!' she said, genuinely amazed.

`Now take hold of that one' said Jack patiently, `and see if you can superimpose the picture in your mind onto the pumpkin`.

Sam looked nervously at the knife and chewed her lip anxiously.

`I'm not sure I can do this, sir' she said, grimacing.

`Look , I'll help you,' said Jack, walking up behind her, `I'll guide the blade, just relax.'

She started slightly as she felt his chest press lightly against her back. His arms wrapped around her and he held her hand lightly with his, the length of his arm touching hers, making her shiver slightly.

`Are you cold?' he asked, his mouth very close to her ear.

`No, sir' she muttered, her cheeks flushing.

She felt the softest pressure against the back of her hand and instinctively she closed her eyes and let him guide her hand totally. Time seemed to slow as he made deft cutting movements. His hand was perfectly steady, something she'd noticed before when they'd been in active situations. His breath tickled her neck slightly as he lent even closer, his chin resting lightly on her shoulder. She couldn't help herself as she arched her back just a fraction to bring more of her in contact with him. Finally the spell was broken.

`There' he said with satisfaction, moving away from her.

Sam reluctantly opened her eyes and looked at the work of art stood on his work surface. It was fantastic, in every meaning of the word. There was the top of a forest cut into the base of the pumpkin, and sailing above was a witch on a broom, her hair and ragged clothing trailing out behind her. At the top was the thinnest slice of moon with clouds scudding across its crescent shape.

`That is amazing' she said honestly, bending down to get a closer look. She turned the pumpkin from side to side, admiring the precision of the cutting.

Jack suddenly interrupted her reverie. He'd lost the relaxed look and he suddenly looked nervous.

`Turn it round' he said.

Sam did as he suggested and bent even closer to look at the markings on the back.

`Fifty five' said Sam in a puzzled voice.

Jack walked away from her and leant with his back against the kitchen cupboards, his face looking tight and closed in.

`Fifty five days' he said briefly.

`I don't understand' said Sam, frowning.

`It's fifty five days until Christmas day' said Jack, `And fifty five days until I finish active duty'.

Sam gaped at him. Suddenly she felt as though she was looking at him down a long dark tunnel. As he spoke, his voice echoed though her head.

`Don't say anything' said Jack, `Just listen for once. Did you think that I'd continue in active duty for ever? My knees are shot and I've been on borrowed time for a while, thanks to General Hammond. We've all been though a lot in the last few years, but I'm not as young as you, and it's long overdue for you to take command of SG1. You're ready, Carter. Seems I'm going to be getting a few more stripes and a silver star on my jacket in exchange for taking control of the Alpha site`.

Sam was stunned into silence.

`You can speak now, Carter' said Jack anxiously.

`Congratulations on the silver star, sir' she said numbly.

Jack's hands fluttered in agitation.

`Hammond hasn't decided yet whether to assign you an new team member or experiment with a three man team' said Jack.

`Oh!' said Sam, still shocked, `So that`s it? And do I have any say in this decision?'.

`As commanding officer of SG1, obviously Hammond will consult with you on the make up of the team' said Jack firmly.

`Well that's nice to know!' said Sam, suddenly feeling annoyed and aggrieved that she'd been left out of the decision loop.

`We've been together as a team for eight years. Did you think it would just go on forever?' asked Jack.

`I've always thought that we had a special bond. All of us. I've always known that things might change one day, but I thought that we all might be involved in the process' she said, climbing down from her stool and walking around the room in agitation.

`I guess!' said Jack grumpily, not really knowing what else to say.

Sam snatched up her pumpkins and ran for the door.

`Where are you going?' he asked, dazed by her sudden movement.

`Home' snapped Sam.

`Carter!' shouted Jack after her, the imperative in his voice causing her to stop abruptly.

Suddenly she stopped and spun round in the doorway, her face crumpling, tears shining brightly in her eyes.

`Come here' he said, and in a couple of quick steps she was stood directly in front of him, her hands hanging limply by her sides.

Jack wrapped his arms around her, one hand pulling her head onto his shoulder. She sobbed as he held her as though he'd never let go. At last she stopped , and looked up at him. His eyes were warm with emotion, but he remained silent, waiting for her to speak.

`I'm sorry, sir. It was a shock' said Sam softly.

`I'm not leaving, Sam. Just moving over. It's how things happen' said Jack.

`You're leaving us' said Sam, If you`re going to be based on alpha site, we probably won`t see you very often`.

`Does that bother you?' he asked, his eyes looking pointedly at the space where her engagement ring normally sat.

Sam considered the question.

`I guess that it shouldn't' she said slowly, `but it does'.

`You have other considerations now' said Jack pointedly, `You'll miss me for a while like you'd miss some favourite uncle who moved away. But some other thoughts will soon occupy your mind'.

Sam gaped at him.

`Do you really think that I'm that shallow, after all we've been through' she said, feeling angry.

`I don't think you're at all shallow, Samantha. But I'm also realistic enough to know that when teams are placed in life threatening situations, they can develop special bonds between them. It's how they keep alive sometimes. When you take those situations away and you put those people into an ordinary life, they suddenly find that they don't have that much in common after all'.

His use of her name caused her to pause.

`Do you remember when I was stuck on the X303?' she asked suddenly.

`Sure' said Jack.

`And I'd had that knock on the head?' she continued.

`Is this going somewhere, Carter?' asked Jack, a puzzled expression on his face.

`You called me Samantha, then' she said dreamily.

`Carter! I wasn't there' said Jack feeling totally confused.

`You all were. Daniel, Teal'c, dad and you. You all came to see me to give advice. You were all figments of my imagination of course, caused by the concussion, but you all said the things that were obviously buried in my head. You came last of all' said Sam.

Jack frowned.

`Last?' he said.

`You said that you would always be there for me, no matter what' she said.

Jack looked down at his hands.

`You said that I was using you as an easy bet. Whilst I focussed on you, the unattainable, I didn't have to try and get my life into some kind of order. I asked whether I should give up my job and you said that you would never ask me to do that' said Sam.

Jack considered her words.

`I sound a little blunt' he said.

`You were right' said Sam firmly, 'and that's why when I got back and Pete came on the scene, I jumped at the chance of forming a relationship with him.'

`He's an ok guy' said Jack.

`There was one other thing' said Sam determinedly.

Jack just raised an eyebrow.

`I kissed you' said Sam, looking down.

A smile crept across Jack's face.

`It wasn't the kind of kiss you'd give to a favourite uncle' said Sam, her cheeks pinking in embarrassment.

`Oh?' prompted Jack.

`It was a kiss filled with longing, a kiss like I've dreamed about a thousand times' she said.

`You have?' asked Jack, grinning.

`What can we do?' asked Sam, suddenly feeling spent, unable to carry things to their conclusion.

`When I take the Alpha site, you won't be in my chain of command, if that's what you mean' said Jack slowly, `Do you understand me, Sam? I`ll be around all right, just not your direct CO any more. What happens then is completely up to you. You were right, I will always be there for you whatever you decide. I think that if we're being honest, you've known for a long time how I feel about you, but that means that I want you to do whatever is best for you, even if that means making a life with Pete.'

Sam looked at him.

`Oh' said Sam suddenly realising the implication of what he was saying.

`That means..........' she started.

`That means that our working relationship has changed' he said, `or will have as from December 25th'.

Sam gazed at him for a moment, flustered. Without speaking, she picked up the pumpkin and stowing it safely under her arm, she walked over and stood very close to him, her eyes studying his face. Still in silence, she stood on tip toe and kissed him softly on the cheek.

`An uncle kiss?' said Jack.

`The last one' said Sam cheekily, before turning on her heel and heading out of the door.

As soon as she walked into her little house, Sam took out her engagement ring from the safety of it's box. She held it up to the light and admired how it glittered brightly.

`I'm sorry, Pete' she whispered, before picking up the phone and dialling Denver.

Continued in.............. `Christmas'.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to pz